Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 2 weeks ago The A10 better watch out when I fill Kenny’s position as assistant coach 👀👀👀
One of KB’s own on the staff ?

A first. The ultimate insider.

Wait…maybe 72 was the first ? I miss 72. I got a kick out of some of his posts. Hope he’s okay and comes back.
I hope they're OK
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
3mm's
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by 3mm's »

I believe that Austin is supposed to be our top recruiter in the New England area. We have very good prep school teams and two excellent AAU teams. Who has he recruited from our own area. Maybe it is time for him to start getting some local kids or we should get rid of him.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just listened to a bit of a Georgetown podcast, just the last few minutes. They're still pretty sure Kenny is coming, but somebody brought up Xavier Joyner. He is currently an assistant at JMU. He was a very successful JUCO coach in Maryland and also coached at Paul VI and Team Takeover. He was an assistant at Mt. St. Mary's before going to JMU. So, he's been in the DMV area for a long time and has a lot of connections.I don't know if they're just throwing his name out there or if they've heard something. Just to throw something else out, his is being followed on twitter by both Ben Hammond and Tyonne Farrell, although that probably means nothing. A lot of the DMV guys follow him, including Dubsky, Hutchinson and Ish Leggett.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Can’t wait to hear whatever drama is going on. Obviously, if there is no drama, KJ,s future would be settled and be public by now. So, we should conclude, that Kenny might leave and might stay.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My money is on Kenny leaving !
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Interesting name with Xavier Joyner. Hoop Dirt had reported that he was heading to Vandy, but obviously things change quickly. Definitely a good guy with a very positive reputation in the area.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 2 weeks ago Interesting name with Xavier Joyner. Hoop Dirt had reported that he was heading to Vandy, but obviously things change quickly. Definitely a good guy with a very positive reputation in the area.
Yeah, I just read that most of the JMU staff is going to Vandy, including Joyner.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Bos8 wrote: 2 weeks ago Interesting name with Xavier Joyner. Hoop Dirt had reported that he was heading to Vandy, but obviously things change quickly. Definitely a good guy with a very positive reputation in the area.
Yeah, I just read that most of the JMU staff is going to Vandy, including Joyner.
Calvin Baker, another DMV guy, stayed at JMU. But you're right, I believe the rest of the staff left.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Is KJ’s home for sale ?

I don’t recall seeing anything about that on here.

Real estate for sale is usually a key KB indicator of coaching moves.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Excellent point Drums- Does anyone know where he lives?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

When do the assistants contracts typically end? Is it April 1? I ask this because none of the assistants are shown to be on the state payroll currently.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 2 weeks ago Excellent point Drums- Does anyone know where he lives?
When I talked to him when he first got here, I think he said he was renting in Narragansett. I don't know if he ever bought a house.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 2 weeks ago Excellent point Drums- Does anyone know where he lives?
When I talked to him when he first got here, I think he said he was renting in Narragansett. I don't know if he ever bought a house.
78, maybe because of the nature of asst coaching positions in cbb, more asst coaches rent than buy so they can move fast when a better opp comes up ?
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Fiscal year for URI ends June 30. If he's leaving job will be posted soon.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

@JohnKurkjian_
29m
In case there was still any doubt by the way, sources have seen Kenny Johnson on campus in the last few days. As I’ve said from the beginning, he is the hire.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago @JohnKurkjian_
29m
In case there was still any doubt by the way, sources have seen Kenny Johnson on campus in the last few days. As I’ve said from the beginning, he is the hire.
Okay, fine, but it's as bizarre as shit that they're dragging it out THIS long now.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 weeks ago
29m
Okay, fine, but it's as bizarre as shit that they're dragging it out THIS long now.
Right? Ivan Thomas was reported to be the new Hampton head coach 3/13 and was officially announced 3/15. That it's taken nearly a whole month to get to the point where Johnson has been on campus the last few days yet still isn't officially announced shows a level of dysfunction that I wouldn't want to be walking into
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 weeks ago
29m
Right? Ivan Thomas was reported to be the new Hampton head coach 3/13 and was officially announced 3/15. That it's taken nearly a whole month to get to the point where Johnson has been on campus the last few days yet still isn't officially announced shows a level of dysfunction that I wouldn't want to be walking into
What's the reason they're not announcing it yet? It appears he's already working for them. There must be a reason.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

So since Kenny was out of the game for a year and so was our HC we were unable to get the caliber of players we wanted or needed at least that was the excuse, so now it’s they didn’t have enough NIL. Also he was hit with NCAA sanctions and we stuck by him…and now, as NIL is increasing and sanctions are lifting and he has re-established his connections he is leaving. What a guy, way to payback the organization who got you back in the game. If these rumors are false then I take this all back.
Last edited by RIFan 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago So since Kenny was out of the game for a year and so was our HC we were unable to get the caliber of players we wanted or needed at least that was the excuse, so now it’s they didn’t have enough NIL. Also he was hit with NCAA sanctions and we stuck by him…and now as NIL is increasing and sanctions are lifting and he has re-established his connections he is leaving. What a guy.
He'll serve half his punishment at Georgetown, but yeah, I'm not thrilled we stuck by him just to do this a year later. I guess if Hammond comes here and especially if he stays for multiple years you can say it was worth it, but otherwise it was definitely a miscalculation
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm not holding my breath anymore about any of this.

They will let us know when they let us know.

Not just about KJ but transfers too.

Maybe they are saving everything for one big announcement that covers everything lol.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago So since Kenny was out of the game for a year and so was our HC we were unable to get the caliber of players we wanted or needed at least that was the excuse, so now it’s they didn’t have enough NIL. Also he was hit with NCAA sanctions and we stuck by him…and now, as NIL is increasing and sanctions are lifting and he has re-established his connections he is leaving. What a guy, way to payback the organization who got you back in the game. If these rumors are false then I take this all back.
Obviously he's getting a big increase in pay and going to coach in a better conference at a school he's going to be able to recruit elite players. Would you turn that down? Dan Hurley didn't.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You can't blame KJ for leaving this clusterfuck.
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Saw a Georgetown fan mention the name Louis Hinnant from George Mason as a possibility for the Georgetown job. He has deep DMV routes, but has spent plenty of time in New England. He was a 4 year starter at BC for Al Skinner and then worked under former BC assistant Coach Duquette at Umass Lowell before heading back to the DMV and George Mason.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I can hold it against him, someone threw you a lifeline and a $250,000 a year job(doing what you love)…show some loyalty. Life is not all about money…maybe it is. What do I know. Dan was a different story, no lifeline needed, it was part of his career progression. Circumstances matter.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago I can hold it against him, someone threw you a lifeline and a $250,000 a year job(doing what you love)…show some loyalty. Life is not all about money…maybe it is. What do I know. Dan was a different story, no lifeline needed, it was part of his career progression. Circumstances matter.
You could say both sides used one another. URI hired him to recruit top quality players. Kenny accepted the Rhody job to rehabilitate his image. Based on where we are today, I think everyone would agree that Kenny made out far better in this arrangement as his personal objective was actually met.
Last edited by RF1 2 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

If KJ ends up at Georgetown and has success, how long before he moves on to a P2 program ? 3 years ? 4 years ?

Does he want to be a HC at some point ?
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago I can hold it against him, someone threw you a lifeline and a $250,000 a year job(doing what you love)…show some loyalty. Life is not all about money…maybe it is. What do I know. Dan was a different story, no lifeline needed, it was part of his career progression. Circumstances matter.
I don't know RIF and I wouldn't blame him a bit for moving on if given the opportunity to trade up.
Why not, assistant coaches have no guarantees beyond 1 year?
If he has the chance to better his career along with providing more for his family, he needs to take advantage of it.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah agreed, can't blame anyone for moving on if given the opportunity to trade up and provide more for their family, whether that be coaches or players. That's just the way life works and most people would do the same thing if in the same position.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

To each his own. I guess this is a business of convenience and everyone is using everyone. As RF1 stated, It seems we really didn’t get nearly what we wanted out of it, but he did.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Still not announced?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but the lack of announcement doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Everyone who needs to know already knows. If Kenny is really gone then we likely already have a replacement lined up to, so I'm not too worried about it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 weeks ago Still not announced?
Kenny just started following Oumar Ballo. He's certainly not recruiting him to URI. It's pretty clear, at least to me, that he's already working for Georgetown. that's ok though. We have some guy that averaged 1 point and 1 rebound per game visiting and are fighting a bunch of low majors for his services. :roll:
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Kenny just started following Oumar Ballo. He's certainly not recruiting him to URI. It's pretty clear, at least to me, that he's already working for Georgetown. that's ok though. We have some guy that averaged 1 point and 1 rebound per game visiting and are fighting a bunch of low majors for his services. :roll:

Kenny has been recruiting for Georgetown for weeks now.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Joe95 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Kenny has been recruiting for Georgetown for weeks now.
Yes, But where's our new coach? To me it looks like Christen is doing a lot of recruiting. Is he just getting bumped up?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

can't wait for the bricks tweet...

what a bunch of BS
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

So why are we paying him to recruit for another school? Will GT reimburse?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

True, he makes almost $5,000 a week for a job he has blatantly abandoned. Please reimburse us to our NIL fund…we really need it.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If this is the best we can do then it's time to give it up.

What a shame.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 2 weeks ago Maybe I'm wrong on this, but the lack of announcement doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Everyone who needs to know already knows. If Kenny is really gone then we likely already have a replacement lined up to, so I'm not too worried about it.
Adam, that thought of yours came to me earlier, as well. Given that, I am surprised nothing about possible candidates, interviews or a decision around a new Rhody assistant has leaked anywhere. No rumors, nada.

Archie runs a tight ship.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Are u talking about the Wyoming kid?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 2 weeks ago So why are we paying him to recruit for another school? Will GT reimburse?
Steviep, maybe we are lending KJ to GU temporarily. Like a rent to own type of deal. They get to test drive KJ for several weeks before pulling the final trigger.

It’s a creative way to accumulate funds to help pay his replacement. ;)
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Just a tidbit, but does everyone know that KJ’s son signed at St Joseph’s. (Freshman)
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 2 weeks ago Maybe I'm wrong on this, but the lack of announcement doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Everyone who needs to know already knows. If Kenny is really gone then we likely already have a replacement lined up to, so I'm not too worried about it.
Adam, that thought of yours came to me earlier, as well. Given that, I am surprised nothing about possible candidates, interviews or a decision around a new Rhody assistant has leaked anywhere. No rumors, nada.

Yeah, I mean as fans it would be fun to hear something about a replacement obviously (if Kenny is even really leaving), but it doesn't seem like any reason to be concerned at this point. And honestly I wonder if part of the reason there aren't many rumors or leaks is because we just don't have as many people covering our team as a program like Georgetown does for example. It seems like most of our rumors and leaks come from fans on here! Maybe Goodman or one of the other Field of 68 guys will drop something eventually since they are tight with Archie. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong about that to. :lol:
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 2 weeks ago
St. John's
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 2 weeks ago

St. John's
78, I am wondering (or maybe I should say, hoping) if the the St. John’s player is slotted as a depth/lower slotted NIL piece ?

I don’t want to consider that we are considering him for an important role - unless like Jersey said, the staff see’s something they like in his game that we all are overlooking.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Yeah, I mean as fans it would be fun to hear something about a replacement obviously (if Kenny is even really leaving), but it doesn't seem like any reason to be concerned at this point. And honestly I wonder if part of the reason there aren't many rumors or leaks is because we just don't have as many people covering our team as a program like Georgetown does for example. It seems like most of our rumors and leaks come from fans on here! Maybe Goodman or one of the other Field of 68 guys will drop something eventually since they are tight with Archie. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong about that to. :lol:
…are they tight with Archie though?

Was I the only one who found it weird Field of 68 had an A10 podcast with multiple league guests this season and Archie (who worked there last season) never went on?

I know we sucked, but they could’ve had him on early non conference.

Seems pretty odd they never invited him on the podcast.

Now Archie could very well have declined going on, I have no idea.

But still…
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 weeks ago
29m
It's a true flustercuck
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Yes, when it comes to work, life is all, repeat - all, about money.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Agree.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."