General High School Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022-23

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

General High School Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022-23

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Since the original thread is now 8+ years old, with more than 5,800 posts in it... I figured it makes sense to start breaking these out, year by year. Makes comparisons easier, in a way. If I'm feeling ambitious, I might split the previous thread, even!

I realize it's early, but I'm excited to see what recruits Archie goes after. Kind of like Dan, I imagine we'll be targeting more nationally recruited guys, and have more faith in landing and retaining them. Right now, Isiah Miranda is the only recruit we've technically offered above a two-star that is unsigned.
6 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022-23

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Miranda would be a nice start, especially if Walker transfers. Still, the top priority should be backcourt help.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Good move! Hitting Refresh/Restart on all levels! Thank you.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

https://247sports.com/Player/Paul-McMillan-46080322/

This kid is unsigned PG. Apparently he is most interested in Dayton, who has 5 guards on the roster. He’s from Ohio. He could be a potential target. Maybe he grew up as an Archie fan and/or he can be offered immediate playing time.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 2 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

https://247sports.com/Player/Avery-Brown-46098106/

Here’s another unsigned PG. Archie offered him in 2020.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/S ... ll/Offers/

Here are all the offers Archie made for the 2020 class at IU. It should give us an idea of the types of players he covets.

It also looks like he did a lot of recruiting in the northeastern quadrant of the continental USA, which is a nice fit I was’t aware of.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago https://247sports.com/college/indiana/S ... ll/Offers/

Here are all the offers Archie made for the 2020 class at IU. It should give us an idea of the types of players he covets.

It also looks like he did a lot of recruiting in the northeastern quadrant of the continental USA, which is a nice fit I was’t aware of.
Sad seeing Terrance Clarke's name there.
6 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks, Kevan! Good stuff!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

In general, I am not a proponent of position-less basketball in college. If I was coaching in college, I wouldn’t recruit for it or use it. I think it can work in the NBA because you are talking about the best basketball players in the world.

But, outside of the NBA and some college blue bloods, who has access to a consistent stream of the best and most fundamentally sound talent in the world to play it? To consistently have access to 5-7 players every year that are expert level in fundamentals to play that style? Because, to play position-less basketball, all your guys need to shoot, handle, pass, defend multiple positions, etc. at a very high level of competence.

Maybe I am old school but, I just don’t see it consistently working in college, outside of a few blue bloods maybe. Give me a Jeff Dowtin, a Silk, a Jiggy or any of our other greats at point and I am good to go! I think coach Cox fell into the position-less philosophy trap and it was one of the multiple reasons the program faltered under his leadership. I hope he changes his philosophy. He is still young enough to develop into a good college HC.

Went off on a tangent there. My apologies.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago In general, I am not a proponent of position-less basketball in college. If I was coaching in college, I wouldn’t recruit for it or use it. I think it can work in the NBA because you are talking about the best basketball players in the world.

But, outside of the NBA and some college blue bloods, who has access to a consistent stream of the best and most fundamentally sound talent in the world to play it? To consistently have access to 5-7 players every year that are expert level in fundamentals to play that style? Because, to play position-less basketball, all your guys need to shoot, handle, pass, defend multiple positions, etc. at a very high level of competence.

Maybe I am old school but, I just don’t see it consistently working in college, outside of a few blue bloods maybe. Give me a Jeff Dowtin, a Silk, a Jiggy or any of our other greats at point and I am good to go! I think coach Cox fell into the position-less philosophy trap and it was one of the multiple reasons the program faltered under his leadership. I hope he changes his philosophy. He is still young enough to develop into a good college HC.

The fact that he took Dowtin off point guard was an incredibly crazy decision. You have your best point guard in probably 2 decades and you move him off the ball?
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I forgot about Avery Brown. He used to work out a lot with UConn commit Donovan Clingan and really wanted a UConn offer. He had a lot of interest from quality teams early but not much has developed.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago In general, I am not a proponent of position-less basketball in college. If I was coaching in college, I wouldn’t recruit for it or use it. I think it can work in the NBA because you are talking about the best basketball players in the world.

The fact that he took Dowtin off point guard was an incredibly crazy decision. You have your best point guard in probably 2 decades and you move him off the ball?
Agreed. Obviously I wasn’t privy to coach DC’s decision making process but, if I was him, I would have left Jeff at the point as my floor general. Just my opinion, for what it’s worth.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Lander didn't play much at IU this year. Maybe a change of scenery?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

It only “works” in college of you play small. If you have a 6’5” or 6’6” player at the 4 who is a rebounding 2 guard type. When you have bigs it is unlikely that they will have the handle on the perimeter to play position-less ball.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Just as an FYI, the pool of available highly-ranked talent for Fall 2022 is kind of drying up. I just picked 247 because it was easier to look at their Top 150 than other sites, but the vast majority of 4 and 5-star recruits are signed. I kind of hope Archie is going to hit the transfer market recruiting hard, because otherwise, he's probably going to have to identify some under-scouted diamonds in the rough here.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Baske ... HighSchool
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Just as an FYI, the pool of available highly-ranked talent for Fall 2022 is kind of drying up. I just picked 247 because it was easier to look at their Top 150 than other sites, but the vast majority of 4 and 5-star recruits are signed. I kind of hope Archie is going to hit the transfer market recruiting hard, because otherwise, he's probably going to have to identify some under-scouted diamonds in the rough here.

I mean really, we are already narrowing our list to 4* and 5* recruits.
In Archie's 6 years at Dayton he only had 1 4* recruit (247) and that was his last season 2016-2017.
He had plenty of success without ever having the #1 recruiting class in the A10.

Don't get hung up on stars there are plenty of good players available that will fit his system and he can develop.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Just as an FYI, the pool of available highly-ranked talent for Fall 2022 is kind of drying up. I just picked 247 because it was easier to look at their Top 150 than other sites, but the vast majority of 4 and 5-star recruits are signed. I kind of hope Archie is going to hit the transfer market recruiting hard, because otherwise, he's probably going to have to identify some under-scouted diamonds in the rough here.

In Archie's 6 years at Indiana he only had 1 4* recruit (247) and that was his last season 2016-2017.
He had plenty of success without ever having the #1 recruiting class in the A10.

Don't get hung up on stars there are plenty of good players available that will fit his system and he can develop.
Ha, I don't disagree with you, but some other posters seem to be under the impression that there are a bunch of players out there, just waiting for Archie to snag, for Fall 2022.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

In Archie's 6 years at Dayton he only had 1 4* recruit (247) and that was his last season 2016-2017.

Ha, I don't disagree with you, but some other posters seem to be under the impression that there are a bunch of players out there, just waiting for Archie to snag, for Fall 2022.
I originally mistakenly typed Indiana instead of Dayton, but corrected.

Yes many recruits signed/committed in the early period but there are still lots of talented recruits available.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Wonder if Archie will look at T.J. Power. 4* from Worcester Academy. Local kid and a power forward.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Wonder if Archie will look at T.J. Power. 4* from Worcester Academy. Local kid and a power forward.
Maybe, but the kid has plenty of P6 schools that offered and been in on him for a while.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Wonder if Archie will look at T.J. Power. 4* from Worcester Academy. Local kid and a power forward.
Maybe, but the kid has plenty of P6 schools that offered and been in on him for a while.
Imagine signing him and Miranda? The roof would blow off the Ryan Center. Team them up with a high powered PG and some good/great SG? One can dream, right? But that is my pipe dream.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Archie did mention targeting local/RI kids and is the first coach in forever to even acknowledge that. I did think both Dan and Dave didn't pay enough attention to local talent - Tyler Kolek being Exhibit A.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Archie did mention targeting local/RI kids and is the first coach in forever to even acknowledge that. I did think both Dan and Dave didn't pay enough attention to local talent - Tyler Kolek being Exhibit A.
And that's where Austin's connections are. Would love to see us start getting kids from Mass and CT again, and of course RI when the occasional good D1 prospect is playing here.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Archie did mention targeting local/RI kids and is the first coach in forever to even acknowledge that. I did think both Dan and Dave didn't pay enough attention to local talent - Tyler Kolek being Exhibit A.
Eh, Dave did land one Rhode Island kid, and Kolek is probably one we missed on. (Although, is this a bad time to note that he under-performed his sophomore year, and it now looks like his peak is "solid regular" and not "next Ryan Gomes?") I think Cole Swider was always Big East bound. If you go by the NERR rankings archive, I'm not even sure if you can get a competitive A-10 starting five using just RI prospects. If you expand it to New England, you do a bit better, but still. I don't really care where players come from, as long as they're good.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Eh, Dave did land one Rhode Island kid, and Kolek is probably one we missed on. (Although, is this a bad time to note that he under-performed his sophomore year, and it now looks like his peak is "solid regular" and not "next Ryan Gomes?") I think Cole Swider was always Big East bound. If you go by the NERR rankings archive, I'm not even sure if you can get a competitive A-10 starting five using just RI prospects. If you expand it to New England, you do a bit better, but still. I don't really care where players come from, as long as they're good.
The top ranked players in New England's '22 class have committed to schools like Duke, UConn, Texas, Xavier, Iowa, Marquette, Northwestern, Notre Dame and even A10 schools like Davidson and SBU. There's plenty of talent there. Agree about RI. Occasionally there will be a top prospect like Miranda in '23, but those are rare. Get back to what has always been great for us. Recruit Mass., CT, NYC, DC, Philly, Jersey with occasional recruits coming from other parts of the country.
3 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
This would be a great first signing
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Recruiting thread now created for Toussaint:

viewtopic.php?t=9228
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Interesting that the first two players we know about are guards.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting that the first two players we know about are guards.
Not that interesting or surprising at all.

It's a guards game now. Especially in our league.

We all saw how playing two bigs worked this year.

We also saw us ranked 16th in the country starting 4 guards a few years ago.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Point guards.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting that the first two players we know about are guards.
Three players, all guards.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Carl Koussa will be furious if we go 4 guards.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago Carl Koussa will be furious if we go 4 guards.
Carl is just elated we got Archie
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

No Rhody here.

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Didn't help that our bigs weren't very good. Or that the guards on the court with them were not very good for that matter. Or that when they were up double digits in consecutive games, the coach couldn't figure out how to not lose the game.

Ill take whatever we can get that is successful but the Hassan Martin/Kuran team was two bigs. That team was probably better than the 4 guard team that kind of came along at the right time.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Didn't help that our bigs weren't very good. Or that the guards on the court with them were not very good for that matter. Or that when they were up double digits in consecutive games, the coach couldn't figure out how to not lose the game.

Ill take whatever we can get that is successful but the Hassan Martin/Kuran team was two bigs. That team was probably better than the 4 guard team that kind of came along at the right time.
Always wished we could see those two tournament teams play each other.
2 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I do agree that 16-17 was better than 17-18. More size, more dynamic. That team rolled through the A10 tourney and was playing really really well in the tourney. What could have been if Hass didn’t get hurt. He was so valuable to that team.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I do agree that 16-17 was better than 17-18. More size, more dynamic. That team rolled through the A10 tourney and was playing really really well in the tourney. What could have been if Hass didn’t get hurt. He was so valuable to that team.
The crazy thing is, we still could’ve, and probably should’ve, won that game even with Hassan getting 0 points and rebounds!
4 x
Go Rhody
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Femi Odukale is an interesting player. A big PG.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Femi Odukale is an interesting player. A big PG.

Good size for a PG at 6.5. I looked up his stats quickly - not a good shooter from the line which is a concern for a PG (58% avg from the line at Pitt). Shoots okay from the field overall (about 42%) but only 33% from three. 3.5 assists per game but I forgot to check his turnover ratio.

Have you seen him play?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Nice. I like this visit from this kid. Very intriguing player. Seems to have not reached his full potential yet.

From Queens and played high school ball in Canterbury CT.

Kid has a 45 inch vertical which is something you cant teach and even with limited minutes look at his production based off the limited minutes.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Foster Loyer did absolutely nothing at MSU then crushed it this year.

It really is a crapshoot with these P6 down transfers who put up bad numbers.

Could transfer down and crush it (like Loyer and to a lesser extent Antwan) or be talented but selfish/immature like a certain set of twins.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks pretty skilled and athletic though the high school competition looked weak
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

0 x
Common sense is not common.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Frank Martin getting busy too

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Hi folks! Just for clarity and readability standpoint, going forward... Please post about high school and prep prospects in this thread! For transfers, please go here:

viewtopic.php?t=9059
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago https://247sports.com/Player/Avery-Brown-46098106/

Here’s another unsigned PG. Archie offered him in 2020.
Just because he was mentioned- Brown committed to Columbia today.
0 x