Thorr Bjorn Appreciation Thread

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Thorr Bjorn Appreciation Thread

Unread post by Blue Man »

The best. The absolute fucking best in the business. This man identified literally the best available coaching hire in the country. Not for URI. But in the country.

He sold our donors on Archie. He sold Archie on us.

When you see Thorr - say “thank you, I love you,” and give that man a hug…or at least a handshake.q Then give athletics some money to make good on all his promises to OUR HEAD COACH ARCHIE MILLER.

https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1638/lg ... 0&cid=2270

Scroll down to Athletic Directors fund.
25 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: If you EVER say ANYTHING slightly negative about Thorr Bjorn in my presence I will smash your face

Unread post by TruePoint »

This is by far the best "First Post After..." that I've seen. Congrats fam.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: If you EVER say ANYTHING slightly negative about Thorr Bjorn in my presence I will smash your face

Unread post by reef »

Totally agree love Thorr B !!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

This is absolutely incredible news. I am glad the search wasn’t some HR dim-witted debacle going to the bargain bin. This is what the program needed. Glad to see they were already working on during the ship around prior to it absolutely sinking.
2 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Donation made.

I take back every bad thing I said about Thorr. I am a moron and can admit when I am wrong.
5 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 2 years ago Donation made.

I take back every bad thing I said about Thorr. I am a moron and can admit when I am wrong.
Donation made to the AD Fund! Lets all do this to show our appreciation to Thorr!
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 2 years ago Donation made.

Donation made to the AD Fund! Lets all do this to show our appreciation to Thorr!
Just sent mine!
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just goes to show that "search firms" are the stupidest goddam thing in college athletics.
1 x
Go Rhody
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

BlueMan, I know you are still coming off your Archie induced crack-like high, but this is over the top even for you.. haha

This is a home run hire, no doubt. It's hard to imagine us landing a better option. Thorr is a great AD, I also agree with you there.

I am, of course, celebrating this hire. I'm also relieved, because I found my support for this program hanging by a thread recently. But, I'm also staying grounded as exactly nothing has been accomplished on the court yet.

Maybe I'm just more of a 'show me' kind of guy, but my real celebration will happen when I see the results. This board's motto is 'NCAAs or Bust!' after all.

Was I excited when Dan was hired? Absolutely. However, the real celebrations of Dan Hurley came with the program successes - winning an A10 title, and two NCAA wins.

I love the enthusiasm, as always, but I hope this board doesn't lose its edge with this hire.
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

We may lose games but we will never lose our edge!

Great job. Ready to renew my Tix and get back to the Rhody routine. I was genuinely worried about URI basketball.
6 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago BlueMan, I know you are still coming off your Archie induced crack-like high, but this is over the top even for you.. haha

This is a home run hire, no doubt. It's hard to imagine us landing a better option. Thorr is a great AD, I also agree with you there.

I am, of course, celebrating this hire. I'm also relieved, because I found my support for this program hanging by a thread recently. But, I'm also staying grounded as exactly nothing has been accomplished on the court yet.

Maybe I'm just more of a 'show me' kind of guy, but my real celebration will happen when I see the results. This board's motto is 'NCAAs or Bust!' after all.

Was I excited when Dan was hired? Absolutely. However, the real celebrations of Dan Hurley came with the program successes - winning an A10 title, and two NCAA wins.

I love the enthusiasm, as always, but I hope this board doesn't lose its edge with this hire.
I think the enthusiasm is based off of what this hire stands for. We know that Archie has been successful, and that it would take a lot to get him here.
But by him agreeing to sign the dotted line, it shows the the commitment is there to win. No, I'm not saying that Coach Cox et al weren't committed to winning. I know that his staff put everything they had into this and did everything that they thought was right. And this isn't saying that Cox or even that Thorr wasn't committed.
But the people above them... how committed where they? How convinced were they to do things the right way? Were people willing to finalize the practice facility? Were they willing to charter planes, or continue to fly commercial? Are they willing to provide bigger salary pools to bring in more talented staff? Better food at the training tables? Fully stock the gatorades and protein bars? Buy enough shooting machines etc etc. I think the excitement is that this hire symbolizes that people above are committing to doing this thing the right way and go all in. It doesn't mean Archie will win right away, but it means the infrastructure is there to win in the long run
5 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago The best. The absolute fucking best in the business. This man identified literally the best available coaching hire in the country. Not for URI. But in the country.

When you see Thorr - say “thank you, I love you,” and give that man a hug…or at least a handshake.q Then give athletics some money to make good on all his promises to OUR HEAD COACH ARCHIE MILLER.

Thor is a great AD , He gets it !
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Kudos to the new prez, too! He gets it, too. I’m sure he had to sign off on it.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Kudos to the new prez, too! He gets it, too. I’m sure he had to sign off on it.
Was up in his suite for the duquesne game. They have 2 tvs - 1 was on the women's game and 1 was on the men's game. He had them change the men's game to rugby. Parlange is awesome and a great choice to succeed Dooley (him and his wife are sincerely the nicest people I've ever spoken with).
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This thread's title should be changed by the moderators.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago This thread's title should be changed by the moderators.
You should be changed by the moderators. But here you are.

But I do tend to agree. Point was made. Thorr Bjorn appreciation thread is a good title change.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago This thread's title should be changed by the moderators.
Give me a break…
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

In your expert HR/hiring manager opinion, from 1 to Dustin pedroia in game 1 against the rockies, where would you rank this homerun hire?

Keep in mind you kept telling everyone here that URI didn't have the funds to buy Cox out.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
In your expert HR/hiring manager opinion, from 1 to Dustin pedroia in game 1 against the rockies, where would you rank this homerun hire?

Keep in mind you kept telling everyone here that URI didn't have the funds to buy Cox out.
And that Cox should get a 3 year extension because 72 “knows a good coach when he sees one.”
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

This is my favorite thread title of all time.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Thorr Bjorn Appreciation Thread

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I did change it, but the original passionate title remains in the existing replies. A compromise.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I love the change , classy
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago BlueMan, I know you are still coming off your Archie induced crack-like high, but this is over the top even for you.. haha

I get your overall point here, but the way we go from being a small time program to a big time program is by not waiting for results

That’s what happened with Hurley, donors and support didn’t ramp up till it was too late.

We need to consistent elevate commitment to the program
3 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

I get your overall point here, but the way we go from being a small time program to a big time program is by not waiting for results

That’s what happened with Hurley, donors and support didn’t ramp up till it was too late.

We need to consistent elevate commitment to the program
Agree with you. This hire and the commitment from the University and deep-pocket donors signals to the fan base we should be confident to put butts in seats and be willing to put some of our hard earned money into the program. Not saying people need to wait for results to do this.

I’m very optimistic. And that’s a miracle given I was about as down on the program as I could be a couple of weeks ago.

I just prefer we act like we’ve been here before…
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Give that man a raise!!!!!!!
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I do not fault Thorr for initially hiring Cox as it seemed to make sense at that time. I however do think extending Cox after the 2019-20 season with how the team struggled down the stretch that year was a mistake.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I do not fault Thorr for initially hiring Cox as it seemed to make sense at that time. I however do think extending Cox after the 2019-20 season with how the team struggled down the stretch that year was a mistake.
Irrelevant. That only matters if we weren’t able to buy out Cox/hire Archie this year.

He was never getting fired before the end of this season.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I do not fault Thorr for initially hiring Cox as it seemed to make sense at that time. I however do think extending Cox after the 2019-20 season with how the team struggled down the stretch that year was a mistake.
Who cares. We are paying Cox $1M buyout and we just hired Archie Miller for 5 years/$9.5M. It appears URI Basketball is not going to be the same anymore.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Who cares. We are paying Cox $1M buyout and we just hired Archie Miller for 5 years/$9.5M. It appears URI Basketball is not going to be the same anymore.
Yeah it all worked out for the best and we have as bright a future as anyone in the A10
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In reading the UMASS message board and the New Coach search thread I came across this. Nice story about Thorr.

stevemaz
Senior
Re: Coach Search 2022
Post Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:46 am

I would be surprised if Martin deal isnt finalized today. Of course, I said Young was on track to be the guy a week ago so what the hell do I know..(anyone and everyone feel free to insert UMass to B1G joke here..LOL)

Looking at SC situation, they had a decent year this season finishing 9-9 in a very competitive SEC and 18-13 overall.. not too far from an NCAA or at least NIT bid. They also had a good chance to get into NCAA in 2020. I think it will be a good hire by Bamford despite the apparent bumpy road over the past few weeks.

As far as Bamford goes, It was a mistake not going after Thor years ago to be our AD. The guy has a done very good job at URI and I know he has the "people person" quality that is really necessary for a job like AD.. Quick story.. Back in 1989-90 season I was a senior and upon Coach Cal calling for face painters and basketball's on heads, my buddy Dan and I became the first two face painters in the Cage during that era (maybe ever). Cal acknowledged us, but so did a gregarious big dude who managed the ticket office (Thor) as he came over and sat with us for awhile before the game started. During the rest of the season, we probably stopped by the ticket office 5 or 6 times trying to get tickets to road games (freebies since we had limited funds) and Thor came through. Fast forward 25 years later and I find myself at Umass/Rhody game down there and I was just walking to the concession stand as Thor approached in the other direction. He immediately stopped when he noticed me, calling out my name gregariously. We had a quick convo reminiscing about the glory days. I was amazed that he remembered me from 25 years ago as I was now 40 lbs heavier with a shaved head (one of the reasons I like Martin). The gist is that i think we would have been better off with him as AD.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 2 years ago In reading the UMASS message board and the New Coach search thread I came across this. Nice story about Thorr.

stevemaz
Senior

I would be surprised if Martin deal isnt finalized today. Of course, I said Young was on track to be the guy a week ago so what the hell do I know..(anyone and everyone feel free to insert UMass to B1G joke here..LOL)

Looking at SC situation, they had a decent year this season finishing 9-9 in a very competitive SEC and 18-13 overall.. not too far from an NCAA or at least NIT bid. They also had a good chance to get into NCAA in 2020. I think it will be a good hire by Bamford despite the apparent bumpy road over the past few weeks.

As far as Bamford goes, It was a mistake not going after Thor years ago to be our AD. The guy has a done very good job at URI and I know he has the "people person" quality that is really necessary for a job like AD.. Quick story.. Back in 1989-90 season I was a senior and upon Coach Cal calling for face painters and basketball's on heads, my buddy Dan and I became the first two face painters in the Cage during that era (maybe ever). Cal acknowledged us, but so did a gregarious big dude who managed the ticket office (Thor) as he came over and sat with us for awhile before the game started. During the rest of the season, we probably stopped by the ticket office 5 or 6 times trying to get tickets to road games (freebies since we had limited funds) and Thor came through. Fast forward 25 years later and I find myself at Umass/Rhody game down there and I was just walking to the concession stand as Thor approached in the other direction. He immediately stopped when he noticed me, calling out my name gregariously. We had a quick convo reminiscing about the glory days. I was amazed that he remembered me from 25 years ago as I was now 40 lbs heavier with a shaved head (one of the reasons I like Martin). The gist is that i think we would have been better off with him as AD.
I know I’m probably the fan-boyiest fan boy for Thorr (and Dan, and Archie) on this board - but it’s for a reason.

If anyone can find a negative story about Thorr it would be the first and only.

He’s a first rate AD and a better man. Period.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Old timers like me remember the horrible days of John Chuckran and Ron Petro. Mo Zarchen was a love or hate AD. It's why I've said before: Thorr is the best AD ever at URI. And hiring Archie and retaining Tammi was the best week a URI AD ever had. Give him an extension and a raise!
6 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

100%, Thorr is first rate, a good person and a great AD. I've mentioned before, the few times I've approached him, he's been a total gentleman and very kind to give an honest few minutes of his attention to me, some Joe Blow. I bet he would be a very good mayor or governor...
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Ugh! Ron Petro, don't remind me Iggy
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago In reading the UMASS message board and the New Coach search thread I came across this. Nice story about Thorr.

stevemaz
Senior

I know I’m probably the fan-boyiest fan boy for Thorr (and Dan, and Archie) on this board - but it’s for a reason.

If anyone can find a negative story about Thorr it would be the first and only.

He’s a first rate AD and a better man. Period.
Let’s enjoy this with the new President, Thorr Tammi and Arch , our future is so so bright !!
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Running Ram wrote: 2 years ago 100%, Thorr is first rate, a good person and a great AD. I've mentioned before, the few times I've approached him, he's been a total gentleman and very kind to give an honest few minutes of his attention to me, some Joe Blow. I bet he would be a very good mayor or governor...
Shhhhhh RR, don’t put any ideas in his head. We need him to stay here. ADFL! :)
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Agreed. I've only met Thorr at 2 or 3 events and only talked to him for a minute, but he's really engaging. I remember years ago, Blue Man and his now mrs. hosted an outdoor tailgate the morning of that game vs. Valpo at the Ryan Center in the fall of 2015. Thorr stopped by to say hello to all us crazy fans who were tailgating pregame. I truly think he loves the engagement. It's evident.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Should be on in 10 minutes at 6:30
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm waiting to hear Thorr, but this is the worst sports talk radio I have ever heard.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I'm waiting to hear Thorr, but this is the worst sports talk radio I have ever heard.
….Little Kevi’s strong suit is not radio……BTW, where is our Coach’s Show Radio Show?……..must be some sponsors lined up, like Miller Lite…….?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Enjoyed the interview with Thorr, but he didn't say anything new or ground breaking. He did mention watching some of Archie's practice/work outs with the guys. Would have liked a follow up question pertaining to WHO he has practicing/working out, but can understand why he didn't ask that.
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

he said the assistant coaching staff would be announced as a group in a week or 2. i assume the individual names will leak out here before that
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago The best. The absolute fucking best in the business. This man identified literally the best available coaching hire in the country. Not for URI. But in the country.

This aged well. Archie. Tammi. Practice Facility.

More importantly from the Rhody Baseline interview, getting URI athletics on the next bond initiative (URI Athletics hasn't been included on a bond since the approval of the Ryan Center in 2000).

I have always been a Thorr stan because I knew when he FINALLY got the support from URI that would support his vision, this would be the place we would get to.

The biggest change is obviously Marc Parlange. The first president to not only trust Thorr's leadership, but to invest in his vision. The first president who understands how important athletics can be for the entire university - providing a platform to reach new students you wouldn't get otherwise.

This is a tuition-funded university. You need enrollees, specifically the out of state ones, to make the University grow. You need to market to them. The best marketing is through the NCAA tournament. There is nothing like it.

Build yourself a men's (and women's) basketball program that can make consistent appearances in March, and get some late March runs in? You literally cannot buy that kind of publicity.

Thorr has made a habit of identifying the absolute best coaches and selling them on his vision for URI. Finally, URI gave Thorr the investments to make that vision a reality.

It's a good day to be a Ram. I'll see ya around town.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

This aged well. Archie. Tammi. Practice Facility.

More importantly from the Rhody Baseline interview, getting URI athletics on the next bond initiative (URI Athletics hasn't been included on a bond since the approval of the Ryan Center in 2000).

I have always been a Thorr stan because I knew when he FINALLY got the support from URI that would support his vision, this would be the place we would get to.

The biggest change is obviously Marc Parlange. The first president to not only trust Thorr's leadership, but to invest in his vision. The first president who understands how important athletics can be for the entire university - providing a platform to reach new students you wouldn't get otherwise.

This is a tuition-funded university. You need enrollees, specifically the out of state ones, to make the University grow. You need to market to them. The best marketing is through the NCAA tournament. There is nothing like it.

Build yourself a men's (and women's) basketball program that can make consistent appearances in March, and get some late March runs in? You literally cannot buy that kind of publicity.

Thorr has made a habit of identifying the absolute best coaches and selling them on his vision for URI. Finally, URI gave Thorr the investments to make that vision a reality.

It's a good day to be a Ram. I'll see ya around town.
I haven't been able to listen to the Rhody Baseline interview yet, I guess I need to get around to that
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The funding for the Ryan Center did not go through a voter bond referendum as it was approved by the legislature (as was also the case with the DDC). The most recent URI athletics funding ballot initiative was for Athletic Performance Center and Meade Stadium improvements back in 2004. It lost by a wide margin as 65.5% voted NO.

Rhode Island Question 10, Meade Stadium Bonds (2004)
https://ballotpedia.org/Rhode_Island_Qu ... nds_(2004)

2004 Question 10
"Approval of this question will authorize the State of Rhode Island to issue general obligation bonds, refunding bonds, and temporary notes in an amount not to exceed $6,700,000 to construct an Athletic Performance Center at the University of Rhode Island and renovate existing facilities at Meade Stadium and Keaney Gymnasium at the University of Rhode Island."
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago The funding for the Ryan Center did not go through a voter bond referendum as it was approved by the legislature (as was also the case with the DDC). The most recent URI athletics funding ballot initiative was for Athletic Performance Center and Meade Stadium improvements back in 2004. It lost by a wide margin as 65.5% voted NO.

Rhode Island Question 10, Meade Stadium Bonds (2004)
https://ballotpedia.org/Rhode_Island_Qu ... nds_(2004)

2004 Question 10
"Approval of this question will authorize the State of Rhode Island to issue general obligation bonds, refunding bonds, and temporary notes in an amount not to exceed $6,700,000 to construct an Athletic Performance Center at the University of Rhode Island and renovate existing facilities at Meade Stadium and Keaney Gymnasium at the University of Rhode Island."
Thanks for keeping me straight RF!
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Mo Zarchen was great.
Chuckran (and Eddy) took a hot hand and rode it into the ground.
Petro was too conservative.
Remember Tom McElroy?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I unfortunately do not have high hopes that a bond measure that had URI Athletics in its name would get RI voter approval. Some years, the bond issues for academic buildings at URI in fields like the sciences which can generate economic benefits even struggle to get approval. The 2004 election results were a resounding 65.5% NO for funding athletics infrastructure even with the dollar request of $6.7M relatively low. Very few bond questions lose that badly. The recent Letter to the Editor in the Projo complaining about Archie Miller's salary illustrates the feeling of some Rhode Islanders providing an example of the opposition a bond might face. The only way that URI athletics funding could likely get voter approved is if it were a PART of a bigger Bond Question that included something else that was very popular.

I think URI would have a better chance of getting state funding for athletics via the Ryan Center, RICC, and Dunkin Dounts Center route where approvals were from the legislature and governor and not at the ballot box.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 8 times in total.
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

hi blue man, i'm donating and have a question. is the athletic director's fund for the entire department or basketball specific?

thanks
1 x