Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SG EDIT: March 14, 10 a.m. - Malik Martin gets things started.

SG EDIT: March 14, 1 p.m. - Leggett declared his intent to explore the transfer portal as well.

SG EDIT: March 14, 1:51 p.m. - Tres Berry has also put his name into the portal.

SG EDIT: March 14, 3:44 p.m. - Walker is a graduate transfer.

SG EDIT: March 20, 8:27 a.m. - Ayo-Faleye announced that he will explore transfer opportunities.

SG EDIT: March 20, 1:38 p.m. - Betrand also puts his name in the portal.

SG EDIT: March 25, 5:35 p.m. - Malik Martin pulls out of the portal, will return to URI for fifth year.

SG EDIT: March 28, 3:30 p.m. - The Mitchells put their names in the transfer portal.

SG EDIT: March 30, 4:19 p.m. - Leggett pulls his name from the portal.

Last edited by SGreenwell 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: Malik

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I expect everyone to do this.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
The first domino to fall, expecting a lot more.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Honestly I didn't expect him, especially to be first
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Can't blame any of these guys if thats the decision they choose. I appreciate that he left open the chance to come back still, I think it makes sense for him to weigh his opportunities and see whats out there and also wait and see what happens with our new coach.
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

It’s the right thing for every single player on the roster to do. What if the new coach doesn’t like your game and has no intentions of giving you playing time?

Go figure out what options you have. I’m sure URI will be back in the mix for any players the next coach views as valuable
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I would expect most of our guys to move on or at the very least open their recruitment.

If anyone is upset or worried about this, don't be. We are a bottom A10 team with the roster we have. We need a new coach with his guys and his type of system. If he feels like some of our guys could fit his system I'm sure he will do his very best to keep them..I would love to see Malik come back, but we can replace him if he doesn't. We have NO stars on this team. We have ZERO all A10-level players. We have a team full of average A10 players.

I wish Malik nothing but the best moving forward!!
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We have mostly average A10 players, and some below average.

Cox's latest recruits were below average, and that's being kind.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I love that players have options. It’s what they deserve.

My biggest hope is that he finishes his last year at Rhody as part of a winning team. All of the Martins deserve nothing but the best.
17 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I wish him the best.

To be honest there isn’t one player on this team that I think of as one of our guys. Start fresh
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago It’s the right thing for every single player on the roster to do. What if the new coach doesn’t like your game and has no intentions of giving you playing time?

Go figure out what options you have. I’m sure URI will be back in the mix for any players the next coach views as valuable
Agree what do they have to lose. Can pull their names at any time if they choose to and can put their name out there to see what type of interest they may get.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

They are all free agent rent a players these days. One of the reasons why I am souring on college basketball.
6 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The new coach will have to re-recruit everyone he wants. Kind of what Danny did.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happened with our assistant coaches?
What I've seen done is the AD meets with the players and explains the situation. He/she would request that players stay to meet the new coach, but will support their decision to transfer. An assistant coach would continue to remain on as the point of contact, run off season workouts, check grades etc.
I say all of this with no inside knowledge of what is happening at URI.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

A race to the portal....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I've never seen an entire or most of a roster transfer out before. That means you would have to recruit/transfer in like 10 guys?
0 x
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I've never seen an entire or most of a roster transfer out before. That means you would have to recruit/transfer in like 10 guys?
Yes, that’s why these head coaching vacancies get filled so quickly. If you waited even a month to hire your candidate every player they’d have interest in is gone
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago They are all free agent rent a players these days. One of the reasons why I am souring on college basketball.
Are they? I'm not 100% familiar on all of the transfer rules, but I understand how Malik would transfer. He would be consider a graduate transfer and is free to pursue a program that has a course of study that he would be interested in. Would Walker, Betrand and Carey all be in position to graduate and transfer as well? Also, what about the Mitchell twins. Would they potentially have to sit out and use a year of eligibility if they leave?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happened with our assistant coaches?
What I've seen done is the AD meets with the players and explains the situation. He/she would request that players stay to meet the new coach, but will support their decision to transfer. An assistant coach would continue to remain on as the point of contact, run off season workouts, check grades etc.
I say all of this with no inside knowledge of what is happening at URI.
I don't have any inside information, so maybe someone can chime in, but... It seems like TJ would serve as a bridge from one staff to the next, at the very least. He's got knowledge of the program, and I believe he was the only holdover from Hurley to Cox, and given his playing career, back from Baron as well. Austin Carroll is young, so maybe he doesn't have any other options to continue his employment. Bozeman, who knows? AFAIK, none of them have updated, active Twitter accounts, and it's not like they can recruit right now.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I've never seen an entire or most of a roster transfer out before. That means you would have to recruit/transfer in like 10 guys?
Not to get too far off the topic title, but... Opportunity kind of cuts both ways, which is why you rarely see 10 guys transfer, even with a coaching change. If for example, the Mitchells, Malik and Sheppard all decide they're done with URI basketball, suddenly, there's a bunch of minutes up for grabs among the group of Thomas, Berry, Samb, etc. Even if you look from the last Baron year to the first Hurley year, six players (not counting walk-ons) stuck around.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago They are all free agent rent a players these days. One of the reasons why I am souring on college basketball.
Are they? I'm not 100% familiar on all of the transfer rules, but I understand how Malik would transfer. He would be consider a graduate transfer and is free to pursue a program that has a course of study that he would be interested in. Would Walker, Betrand and Carey all be in position to graduate and transfer as well? Also, what about the Mitchell twins. Would they potentially have to sit out and use a year of eligibility if they leave?
With a coaching change they should all get waivers granted. I know of no player who did not get to transfer with immediate eligibility this past year. Waivers like watermelon seeds as Rothstein stated multiple times. Players staying will likely be the exception not the rule.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Malik Martin exploring 2022 transfer market

I will add one procedural note for folks going forward - Please use descriptive topic titles when possible.

re: Malik transferring, I'm of the mindset that players should always be able to transfer if the coach that recruited them gets fired. Only seems fair to me, plus, it's probably better for the program if players are allowed to smoothly transfer out.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wichita St had it happen couple years ago.

Noah Fernandes from UMass was one of those players.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Wichita St had it happen couple years ago.

Noah Fernandes from UMass was one of those players.
Yes, especially in our case where our HC was also our lead recruiter.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I wonder if so many people would be complaining about transfers all the time if URI had gotten and developed the right ones. Stan and KI were beloved, and other A10 teams have managed to hang on to their freshmen. It is still possible to do both. Winning cures a lot.

No need to tell me you would still be upset. Good for you.
7 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago I wonder if so many people would be complaining about transfers all the time if URI had gotten and developed the right ones. Stan and KI were beloved, and other A10 teams have managed to hang on to their freshmen. It is still possible to do both. Winning cures a lot.

Not upset but not unexpected.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

last one to the portal is a rotten egg!
4 x
:lol:
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 2 years ago I wonder if so many people would be complaining about transfers all the time if URI had gotten and developed the right ones. Stan and KI were beloved, and other A10 teams have managed to hang on to their freshmen. It is still possible to do both. Winning cures a lot.

To add to this, I don’t think there will be a more unsettled time in college basketball than right now, with the immediate eligibility rule combined with the extra year of eligibility afforded everyone. Weather this storm and see what happens.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Leggett should be soon if not already out there
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Leggett should be soon if not already out there
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago We have mostly average A10 players, and some below average.

Cox's latest recruits were below average, and that's being kind.
I think you are being kind on both fronts. There is little to no talent on this roster-especially the recent recruits.

I did like Martin though. Plays hard
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Well, shit. I'm just going to rename this one to be a catch-all thread...
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Well, shit. I'm just going to rename this one to be a catch-all thread...
SG, I think you will be busy adding on and renaming this thread.
4 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Re: Malik, Leggett exploring 2022 transfer market

Unread post by rjv »

Every player is going to enter the portal and then decide when new coach is hired if there is a fit. This is the new NCAA. Get use to it.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If I had to guess, Leggett would be in line for a down transfer, and Malik could go to a similar type school, and maybe a slight up transfer.
1 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

MArtin and Leggett played hard and are good teammates who are defensive role players whose offensive skills are below A10 level.
Tres Berry we hardly knew you.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

And so it begins.....
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago MArtin and Leggett played hard and are good teammates who are defensive role players whose offensive skills are below A10 level.
Tres Berry we hardly knew you.
But I think surrounded by the right talent they could certainly contribute. Martin in particular could be an ideal 5th starter or 1st guy off the bench as a 5th year guy. if Ish does in fact leave, will be interesting to see what level he ends up at.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ace wrote: 2 years ago I love that players have options. It’s what they deserve.

My biggest hope is that he finishes his last year at Rhody as part of a winning team. All of the Martins deserve nothing but the best.
This. 100 times this.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The roller-coaster has begun.
0 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Not sure where Verbal Commits got the info from, but Berry makes it "official" on his Twitter a couple minutes later anyway:

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Not sure where Verbal Commits got the info from, but Berry makes it "official" on his Twitter a couple minutes later anyway:

Isn't the portal public for anyone to see?

Berry probably officially entered the portal shortly before he posted his tweet.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago The roller-coaster has begun.
More like a nose dive.
2 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Isn't the portal public for anyone to see?

Berry probably officially entered the portal shortly before he posted his tweet.
I think so? In any event I'm 100% certain the operators of Verbal Commits have access to it.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

It happened to us 2 years ago!!!
Martin, Toppin, everybody…

Fatts was out, then back in.
Walker was, until Fatts said he would stay, the only returning player we had.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

The 3 seem to have written this together as it's all similar writing.

I wonder if Tres will try to play with his bro up north.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Oh NO! How will we ever replace his 0.001 ppg?!
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Not sure where Verbal Commits got the info from, but Berry makes it "official" on his Twitter a couple minutes later anyway:

I think Martin can sue Berry for plagiarism
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry exploring 2022 transfer market

Unread post by rjv »

Don't panic it will all work out fine.
Players leave new one come in. If we have the right coach the players will come and play at a high level. I think next year will be a successful season. I'm thinking positive
0 x