A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by Jersey77 »

It may be a little early but now that we are done and the A10T is over, we can start discussing our thoughts about next season.
We started this thread about the same time last season, so why not.

Early thoughts on A10 leaders' next season.

SLU can return all 5 starters plus Perkins due to a medical RS. They should be up there.
Dayton and VCU both very young and had good seasons so they should be at the top or very near it.

The Bonnies have all 5 seniors eligible for another season, let's see who if any come back.

What impact will Loyola/Chicago have?

Glad to see Fordham and GM surprising some of us with their new coaching hires.

Both URI and UMass with coaching changes and probably large roster turnover.
Any homerun hires here?

Which A10 players enter the portal, will there be a significant turnover?
Additions and losses, how will our conference fare?

Again, lots will happen and should be an interesting off-season.
Last edited by SGreenwell 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: SG Edit: Minor change to date format.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Outlook for 22-23

Unread post by Rhody15 »

All going to be a question mark until the top seniors decide if their staying or going and who transfers out.

The Bonnies could be predicted to finish bottom 4, or Top 2 depending on their seniors decisions.
1 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: A10 Outlook for 22-23

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Might as well start the thread now, sure. I think things are going to be wildly in flux though, until URI and UMass hire coaches, as well as seeing who each team loses through the transfer portal. I'm expecting that URI is going to lose a couple players, but league-wide, I kind of expect less transfers this year than last, just because there is more head coaching stability.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by steviep123 »

GW also changing coaches:

I’d say after only 3 seasons a bit quick on the draw, but I bet we all wished we’d have moved on from Cox a year ago.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I'm curious how they will do seeding and byes for the conference tournament next year with 15 teams. Will there be 3 Play-in games? Instead will they give only the #1 seed a first round bye?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago I'm curious how they will do seeding and byes for the conference tournament next year with 15 teams. Will there be 3 Play-in games? Instead will they give only the #1 seed a first round bye?
They will likely follow what the ACC did this season with 15 teams.

You're right, 3 play in games....10/15, 11/14, 12/13.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago I'm curious how they will do seeding and byes for the conference tournament next year with 15 teams. Will there be 3 Play-in games? Instead will they give only the #1 seed a first round bye?
They will likely follow what the ACC did this season with 15 teams.

You're right, 3 play in games....10/15, 11/14, 12/13.
Agreed. Top 4 gets double bye into quarter finals. Bottom 6 play opening round. Winners play seeds 5, 6, and 7 and 8 vs 9 in the next round. Then winners play top 4.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No more PIG's for Rhody...or so we hope.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago No more PIG's for Rhody...or so we hope.
Unless we make a Harrick level splash hire it may be a couple of years before we see a bye
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Hopefully an experienced coach, that has a “system”, has track record of running that system, and most importantly is able to recruit work the portal for players to fill those necessary roles……not chasing athletes with physical skills and below average basketball IQ…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago Hopefully an experienced coach, that has a “system”, has track record of running that system, and most importantly is able to recruit work the portal for players to fill those necessary roles……not chasing athletes with physical skills and below average basketball IQ…….
The problem with that, is that getting the type that has athleticism and high BB IQ translates to 4 stars and higher.

Without a big name coach here, that's going to be a problem.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago GW also changing coaches:

I’d say after only 3 seasons a bit quick on the draw, but I bet we all wished we’d have moved on from Cox a year ago.
Private schools have the resources we can only wish for.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago Hopefully an experienced coach, that has a “system”, has track record of running that system, and most importantly is able to recruit work the portal for players to fill those necessary roles……not chasing athletes with physical skills and below average basketball IQ…….
The problem with that, is that getting the type that has athleticism and high BB IQ translates to 4 stars and higher.

OK, I am working with the notion that hoops IQ can be improved……no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago

Eh. Players usually improve incrementally - It's pretty rare for them to take big jumps in efficiency. Usually when a player's production radically improves, it's more that they've gotten a bigger opportunity, like more minutes because a senior has graduated, or a player ahead of them in the rotation has graduated, or because they've gone from the bench to starting. That's generally why I've been pessimistic on Thomas - it's really rare for a player to drastically improve his shooting, to the level he would need - and why the sharp downward trend in Leggett's game was so disappointing as well.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think the A10 will be very strong next season.
Watch out for VCU with Watkins back.

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

Eh. Players usually improve incrementally - It's pretty rare for them to take big jumps in efficiency. Usually when a player's production radically improves, it's more that they've gotten a bigger opportunity, like more minutes because a senior has graduated, or a player ahead of them in the rotation has graduated, or because they've gone from the bench to starting. That's generally why I've been pessimistic on Thomas - it's really rare for a player to drastically improve his shooting, to the level he would need - and why the sharp downward trend in Leggett's game was so disappointing as well.
I look at Bynum at PC who has become a tremendous 3 point shooter. Players can definitely improve their shooting over time.

Played the same amount of minutes per game last season, and shot 5-42, 12%.

This season he's gone 40-96 for 42%.

Thomas can easily become a better FT shooter and 3 point shooter over time.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
I look at Bynum at PC who has become a tremendous 3 point shooter. Players can definitely improve their shooting over time.

Played the same amount of minutes per game last season, and shot 5-42, 12%.

This season he's gone 40-96 for 42%.

Thomas can easily become a better FT shooter and 3 point shooter over time.
There are outliers, of course. But it's rarer than you'd think. I always bring up Parfait Bitee, because he's a good example of a guy who did steadily improve. Even then, his senior year shooting could have been luck, vs. a new level of skill. But he almost tripled his assists per 40 over the course of his career.

A case like Cuttino Mobley's is more common - His rate stats were pretty similar in his freshman, junior and senior years (hurt as a sophomore). But, he played 10 more MPG as a senior, so it makes his jump in production look more drastic.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Great hoops instincts can't be taught.....they can be refined by a good/great coach though.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Apparently La Salle is undertaking an "arena project". They received a gift of about $6.5 million in 2013, and they're coming up on the deadline to use it. If they don't begin the project in 2023 they lose that gift.

"The Board approved the next phase of the design process for an arena project, as the University and the Department of Athletics continue to fundraise externally for this initiative. In 2013, the University received a restricted planned gift, generously donated by John Glaser, ’62, specifically to support an arena project. In order to use this estate gift, currently valued at just under $6.5 million, an arena project would need to begin during the 2023 calendar year. The University would finance this project exclusively through philanthropic contributions."
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Hope everything works out for them. The A10 needs them to be a better program. But, it’s been rough for some small private schools the past 10 years. I remember reading a study a decade or so ago stating that up 20% (if I recall correctly - it may have been more) were expected to shutdown for economic reasons.

I hope La Salle survives but, maybe long term, they would be better off in a lower conference or division.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think some schools might look at our deal with Miller and think they can't compete anymore in the A10. Is La Salle going to sign a coach for 5 yrs/$9.5M?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Didn’t someone here post a link a while back saying there was talk of La Salle moving down a division?
0 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Didn’t someone here post a link a while back saying there was talk of La Salle moving down a division?
I don’t have a link but there was a story about them moving down to the patriot league a couple of years ago. I was thrilled.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Didn’t someone here post a link a while back saying there was talk of La Salle moving down a division?
I don’t have a link but there was a story about them moving down to the patriot league a couple of years ago. I was thrilled.
I thought I saw something that said like moving down an actual division, to D2.

Could be completely mistaken though.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Here is a link from 2018, just a rumor that a poster heard.
I wouldn't pay much attention to it.
http://explorertown.proboards.com/threa ... nvo?page=1
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Doubt you'll see anyone move to D2. D2 is in a slow death spiral. Many will move to D1 each year; a handful will move to D3. What happens to D1 is a bit fuzzier. The "have's" will want a stratification similar to football, but every year mid-majors make noise in the tournament gives credence to n0ot doing this.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

NHRamFan wrote: 2 years ago

Doubt you'll see anyone move to D2. D2 is in a slow death spiral. Many will move to D1 each year; a handful will move to D3. What happens to D1 is a bit fuzzier. The "have's" will want a stratification similar to football, but every year mid-majors make noise in the tournament gives credence to n0ot doing this.
I've been thinking this for a while but not sure how to quite put it into words. The NCAA should allow (or maybe they do)/have football be completely different than hoops so that schools changing conferences for football won't affect hoops and other sports.

So for example, have whatever conferences for football and different ones for basketball. For example, instead of Maryland and Rutgers going to the B1G for all sports or Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC messing up other conferences, make it so it's only for Football and then the basketball doesn't suffer.

Not sure if this is a pipedream.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

An interesting idea. Break Football only out because it’s such a big revenue generator for most (but not all) of the P5 schools. Maybe, it would free up MBB programs and give some the freedom to go back to prior conferences - like, say Temple comes back to the A10 for basketball?

Is that what you are getting at, Stevie? Or, am I missing the point?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Now with Schmidt coming back with an extension, will the seniors return for their additional year?
They are having much success in the NIT, beating 3 P5 teams with higher NET then theirs and advancing to MSG.

Maybe they feel that they have unfinished business to "Dance" in the NCAAT and the seniors pull a "Richmond" like this past season.

If they do, then the upper tier of the A10 will be extremely competitive with the Bonnies, Dayton, SLU, VCU, Davidson, and maybe Rhody (just for shits and giggles).

Ramster, barring any major transfers or injuries, I will again go out on a limb and say 3-4 bids is very possible.
Plus we are adding Lyola/Chicago in 22-23.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

You can’t include Rhody without any idea who is coming back and who Archie brings in.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago You can’t include Rhody without any idea who is coming back and who Archie brings in.
I wasn't going to, but did so for the benefit of some of the posters.

I still think Archie will make us competitive but will probably finish outside the top 5.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago You can’t include Rhody without any idea who is coming back and who Archie brings in.
I wasn't going to, but did so for the benefit of some of the posters.

I still think Archie will make us competitive but will probably finish outside the top 5.
Nope. Just slashing and burning through conference play, probably win it. Can you imagine having a guard that can shoot and penetrate? If so, and they're still here...twins be dunkin all over s.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Now with Schmidt coming back with an extension, will the seniors return for their additional year?
They are having much success in the NIT, beating 3 P5 teams with higher NET then theirs and advancing to MSG.

Maybe they feel that they have unfinished business to "Dance" in the NCAAT and the seniors pull a "Richmond" like this past season.

If they do, then the upper tier of the A10 will be extremely competitive with the Bonnies, Dayton, SLU, VCU, Davidson, and maybe Rhody (just for shits and giggles).

Ramster, barring any major transfers or injuries, I will again go out on a limb and say 3-4 bids is very possible.
I will guess most of them are gone
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The career NCAA history of the men that will coach in the A-10 next season is as follows:

Coach | NCAA Wins | NCAA Appearances | Best Showing
Frank Martin | 10 wins | 5 appearances | Final-4
Archie Miller | 5 wins | 4 appearances | Elite-8
Bob McKillop | 3 wins | 10 appearances | Elite-8
Chris Mooney | 3 wins | 3 appearances | Sweet-16
Travis Ford | 1 win | 7 appearances | Rnd of 32
Anthony Grant | 1 win | 3 appearances | Rnd of 32
Mark Schmidt | 1 win | 3 appearanes | First-4 win
Keith Dambrot | 0 wins | 3 appearances | n/a
Mike Rhoades | 0 wins | 2 appearances | Covid Forfeit
Drew Valentine | 0 wins | 1 appearance | n/a

None of the other three A-10 coaches have led teams to the NCAA D-1 Tournament as head coaches. Note that the future coaches of both GW and LaSalle remain unknown at this time.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Impressive listing. Great for the league. Should lead to better early season tourney’s and OOC games for the league. Then, the league needs to win their share of important high NET potential OOC games. If that all happens, the A10 could be consistently back to a 3-4 team NCAA Tourney bid league, I think.

Thanks for the breakdown, RF1.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Now with Schmidt coming back with an extension, will the seniors return for their additional year?

It's crazy they STILL have another year if they wanna use it. I thought all offseason this was their last hurrah.

Hope they all come back. Need as many goof teams in this league as we can get.

They all come back St Bonaventure is clearly a contender

VCU and Dayton are young and narrowly missed the tournament. They'll be in it.

SLU brining back a lot.

I believe Davidson can bring back everybody.

Loyola looks like a team that will continue to be in the mix for an at-large.

The A-10 underachieved this year. Time for the league to get back to getting at least 3 in every year.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

It's crazy they STILL have another year if they wanna use it. I thought all offseason this was their last hurrah.

SLU brining back a lot.

The A-10 underachieved this year. Time for the league to get back to getting at least 3 in every year.
I think it’s trending that way
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Disappointing news for VCU.
Curry started all their games this season and was an impact player for them.

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Just testing the waters.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

One of the best shooters in the A10 averaged 12 pts/ 42% (3pt).
Started every game for Davidson.

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Davidson doesn't have grad programs so they really are at a disadvantage in this environment.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Davidson doesn't have grad programs so they really are at a disadvantage in this environment.
That is correct, similar to the Grady situation last year.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Great news for SLU

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Nice pickup for VCU

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Frank Martin and UMASS offer #8 ESPN Ranked 6'9" 210 lb G.G. Jackson from Columbia South Carolina Class of 2023

On Saturday afternoon, Jackson posted on Twitter that he received an offer from the University of Massachusetts. Of course, you may be saying to yourself, “why would such a high-profile prospect even consider a program like UMass?”

It’s simple: Frank Martin.

We know how heavily Martin recruited Jackson while he was at the helm at South Carolina. In fact, all signs were leaning towards the Columbia, South Carolina native committing to the Gamecocks.
This is not great news for Hubert Davis and the Tar Heels, as it looked like Martin’s presence wasn’t something they had to worry about anymore in this recruiting race. Now with his new program back in the mix, it’s very possible that Jackson will take some extra time to evaluate all of his potential options.
If you need any indication as to how Jackson is feeling about the offer, his Twitter feed has multiple tweets that reference the UMass offer.

https://keepingitheel.com/2022/04/02/un ... eepstakes/
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago One of the best shooters in the A10 averaged 12 pts/ 42% (3pt).
Started every game for Davidson.

Same situation for Luka Brakovich. Of course he might go pro and play back in Europe where he is from.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

SLU brining back a lot.

I think it’s trending that way
For sure Davidson will not have Brakovichn and Jones but will still have Lee and Loyer
Last edited by McRam 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Frank Martin and UMASS offer #8 ESPN Ranked 6'9" 210 lb G.G. Jackson from Columbia South Carolina Class of 2023

On Saturday afternoon, Jackson posted on Twitter that he received an offer from the University of Massachusetts. Of course, you may be saying to yourself, “why would such a high-profile prospect even consider a program like UMass?”

We know how heavily Martin recruited Jackson while he was at the helm at South Carolina. In fact, all signs were leaning towards the Columbia, South Carolina native committing to the Gamecocks.
This is not great news for Hubert Davis and the Tar Heels, as it looked like Martin’s presence wasn’t something they had to worry about anymore in this recruiting race. Now with his new program back in the mix, it’s very possible that Jackson will take some extra time to evaluate all of his potential options.
If you need any indication as to how Jackson is feeling about the offer, his Twitter feed has multiple tweets that reference the UMass offer.

Do
. Martin will clearly be completion for Archie in the New England area. All I’ve ever heard about him is that he is a “ruthless” recruiter and does not lose many. Eg. Silva
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Frank Martin and UMASS offer #8 ESPN Ranked 6'9" 210 lb G.G. Jackson from Columbia South Carolina Class of 2023

Let’s keep Jackson far away from Amheast Mass
0 x