Men's Postseason Tournament Talk 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Men's Postseason Tournament Talk 2021-22

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Everyone?
Sounds like you have a reading comprehension problem.

But go ahead, keep putting bait on your Ed Cooley Autographed Fishing Rod and Hook that he gave you to troll the URI Keaney Blue Message Board.

Ah look at you!

Calling me a PC fan in one post, and saying I can’t comprehend in another.

People speak in absolutes in life (and on this forum) to get their point across, sorry I didn’t count the exact number of people.

Remember when you thought Al Durham wouldn’t make an impact and we’d go 25-6 this season?

You’re quite knowledgeable in the game of basketball, aren’t ya?
Rhody15 was a seat mate in 211 for a year. He was there every game. Sure he's brash, but he is a fan.
He constantly insults posters on this board.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ah look at you!

People speak in absolutes in life (and on this forum) to get their point across, sorry I didn’t count the exact number of people.

Remember when you thought Al Durham wouldn’t make an impact and we’d go 25-6 this season?

Rhody15 was a seat mate in 211 for a year. He was there every game. Sure he's brash, but he is a fan.
He constantly insults posters on this board.
Like I said Ramster, he is brash. Don't be so sensitive. (and this doesn't mean I approve of Rhody15's posts lol)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Go to hell Friars.
Fixed it for you.
Cute.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Confession time.

I'm old. When I was a kid the Red Sox, Patriots and Bruins stunk. The Celtics were great but they had little competition. So in Rhode Island Jimmy Walker, Mike Riordan and Coach Joe Mullaney were the Brady, McGinnis and Belichick of their day - and a source of pride for much of the state.

That continued through the era of Bad News Barnes, Ernie D and the guy whose name is on one of the access roads.

I ended up going to URI where I learned how to be a writer, moved to New York, came back 20 years later and eventually became a Rhody fan during the Hurley years.

There is more than enough room for two great teams in this state. And I'm grateful for PC's success this year because it unquesionably forced our administration and major donors to resuscitate our program and restore it to greatness. I can't wait to see that happen!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

And I saw a great video today of Coach Cooley today that reminded me of what we had in Dan and what Archie will bring back to the RC.

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This is a wild bit of information. You have to wonder if other schools would have been as patient- and then look what they would have missed. He didn’t even make the tournament in his first four years, and now he’s rolling in year 21. I dislike Villanova and the Main Line in general, but their basketball program is so damn impressive.

Last edited by ace 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Gillespie really impressed me.
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago This is a wild bit of information. You have to wonder if other schools would have been as patient- and then look what they would have missed. He didn’t even make the tournament in his first four years, and now he’s rolling in year 21. I dislike Villanova and the Main Line in general, but their basketball program is so damn impressive.

Yes remarkable how he has built that into a top 5-10 team over the last 20 years
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Confession time.

I'm old. When I was a kid the Red Sox, Patriots and Bruins stunk. The Celtics were great but they had little competition. So in Rhode Island Jimmy Walker, Mike Riordan and Coach Joe Mullaney were the Brady, McGinnis and Belichick of their day - and a source of pride for much of the state.

That continued through the era of Bad News Barnes, Ernie D and the guy whose name is on one of the access roads.

I ended up going to URI where I learned how to be a writer, moved to New York, came back 20 years later and eventually became a Rhody fan during the Hurley years.

There is more than enough room for two great teams in this state. And I'm grateful for PC's success this year because it unquesionably forced our administration and major donors to resuscitate our program and restore it to greatness. I can't wait to see that happen!
PeteRI. I’m with you. Didn’t get the hint on the guy with his name on the access road. Who is it? Gavitt?
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Yep, Mr. Big East himself. Imagine what would have happened if he landed in Kingston instead of Providence.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Cooley gets it. He’s been friends with all the Rhody coaches including our new one, but he stirs crap up to drive ticket sales. I can’t hate him for that. Brings in the bucks. Bucks equals good things ( but not Wi-Fi).
theblueram
Frank Keaney

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago Cooley gets it. He’s been friends with all the Rhody coaches including our new one, but he stirs crap up to drive ticket sales. I can’t hate him for that. Brings in the bucks. Bucks equals good things ( but not Wi-Fi).
Not surprising since he was on staff at URI.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Five against eight.

Referees just called three horseshit fouls against Michigan State on one possession.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago Cooley gets it. He’s been friends with all the Rhody coaches including our new one, but he stirs crap up to drive ticket sales. I can’t hate him for that. Brings in the bucks. Bucks equals good things ( but not Wi-Fi).
#whoducken friend like that and he cancels the URI-PC Game. Imagine being an enemy
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

#whoducken friend like that and he cancels he URI-PC Game. Imagine being an enemy
Point
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Five against eight.

Referees just called three horseshit fouls against Michigan State on one possession.
Serves them right - Sparty was playing 8 on 5 vs Davidson so they got a taste of their own medicine
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

Serves them right - Sparty was playing 8 on 5 vs Davidson so they got a taste of their own medicine
Yea, but I hate Duke. Oh and of course Arizona too.
steviep123
Sly Williams

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

Yea, but I hate Duke. Oh and of course Arizona too.
Oh I do too. Rooting for Duke is like rooting for the house in blackjack. But I also don’t feel bad for Sparty
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TJ 🥨 🍔. That's great.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Watch it -- Mrs. Red is MSU '83.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Gillespie really impressed me.
I see what you did there, nice.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I can appreciate well played basketball - even when it’s Duke ( wish we were able to play some in the recent past ). But, watching Duke win gives me aggitta! ☹️
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’ve hated Duke since March of 1978..
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I’ve hated Duke since March of 1978..
So, in your complete lifetime...more days alive hating Duke or not hating Duke?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
I‘ve hated Duke nearly two-thirds of my life.
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
I‘ve hated Duke nearly two-thirds of my life.
Damn that's a lot of hate :lol: :lol: :lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Everyone?
Sounds like you have a reading comprehension problem.

But go ahead, keep putting bait on your Ed Cooley Autographed Fishing Rod and Hook that he gave you to troll the URI Keaney Blue Message Board.

Ah look at you!

Must have been fun when Jermaine Harris was on the floor
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago No point in being haters. Can only play the team in front of you.

Tip the cap. Great season friars. Our time is coming.
Lol wait, you’ve said for YEARS you hate PC more than anything, we should all hate PC, that’s what makes a rivalry great, etc.

All of a sudden you’re going back on what you’ve preached and yelled at people to the high heavens about all these years?

Nah. Can’t be doing that after how you’ve acted about hating them.

I agree 100% with your PC thoughts, this post just contradicts everything you’ve ever posted regarding them.

F PC, forever and always. As it should be.
Nah puck has it right - I hate UMass way more.

I feel so good after the Archie hire and URI committing to basketball that I just don’t have room for hate.

I would rather both URI be good, irrelevant of what our rival does.

I was rooting for a spectacular NCAA collapse from the friars and it didn’t happen. They had a great season. They’ll hang a banner. And I know some PC fans (a very small minority) who actually went there and love them like I love Rhody. So there’s a part of me that’s happy for them and I can’t wait for our turn.

Literally up is down, down is up, finkle is einhorn.

I just feel so good about URI right now it’s tough for me to be negative.
Dave Gavitt screwed URI and UMASS in 1979 when he started the Big East as he refused to invite these 2 Schools. Gavitt wanted Rhode Island to himself and was royally pissed off that Sly Williams picked URI over PC after having committed to PC.

Gavitt invited UCONN, Boston College, PC and Holy Cross from New England. Imagine inviting Holy Cross and not UMASS or URI - tells you something about Gavitt and PC.

It's been an uphill battle ever since for URI and UMASS. Boston College left the BE for the ACC. UCONN left for the AAC and returned to the BE. UCONN really wanted in the ACC but couldn't swing it with BC having the geographical advantage first.

URI and UMASS have a long history in the Yankee Conference. It was too bad PC, UCONN and BC broke away from URI and UMASS.
Ramball
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramball »

UConn ended up in the AAC because the new Big East did not invite them to join because of the arrogance of Jim Calhoun..
Dave Gavitt lost all credibility with me when Marvin slammed Larry Ketvirtis in the head with a tire iron and Gavitt told the
PC Administration it was a basketball issue and he would settle it, when in fact it was a felonious assault and Marvin should have been dismissed from the school. BTW, that was the year the Friars went to the final four.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

74, that Duke loss in ‘78 still hurts.Damn, haven’t thought about that one in awhile. I will probably have nightmares tonight of that game. Yikes! That was a great Rhody team, too. Ouch! I better not pick at that scar anymore tonight.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramball wrote: 2 years ago UConn ended up in the AAC because the new Big East did not invite them to join because of the arrogance of Jim Calhoun..
Dave Gavitt lost all credibility with me when Marvin slammed Larry Ketvirtis in the head with a tire iron and Gavitt told the
PC Administration it was a basketball issue and he would settle it, when in fact it was a felonious assault and Marvin should have been dismissed from the school. BTW, that was the year the Friars went to the final four.
Ketvirtis was a 6'10" Center ON the PC Team.

NYTime article about the handling of the Tire Iron incident

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/opin ... state.html
steviep123
Sly Williams

Dayton lost in OT to Vanderbilt and VCU last yesterday. SBU nipped Oklahoma and is the only A10 team left in the nit. They host Virginia Thursday.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

If Dayton doesn’t get their talent recruited /poached, they are going to be really good the next few years. Hopefully, Grant stays. I think the talent stays, if he does. Fingers crossed! The same for VCU, too.

Great for the A10 and a great challenge for Rhody! Steel sharpens steel.
steviep123
Sly Williams

More ref ball at the end of tcu/zona. End of regulation tie game tcu ball. Tcu player clearly fouled but no call. Turnover led to a layup just after the buzzer thankfully. OT but tcu should have had foul shots to win.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago More ref ball at the end of tcu/zona. End of regulation tie game tcu ball. Tcu player clearly fouled but no call. Turnover led to a layup just after the buzzer thankfully. OT but tcu should have had foul shots to win.
That was a wiiiild game

Bunch if grown men in that one
steviep123
Sly Williams

Tcu couldn’t buy a rebound in ot.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Refs sure have been much of the story these last few days

Texas went to the line only 12 times and Purdue went 46 times incredible disparity
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago If Dayton doesn’t get their talent recruited /poached, they are going to be really good the next few years. Hopefully, Grant stays. I think the talent stays, if he does. Fingers crossed! The same for VCU, too.

Great for the A10 and a great challenge for Rhody! Steel sharpens steel.
Dayton has a tremendous culture and program.

If Grant doesn’t leave, I highly highly doubt the players transfer on their own.

They have a chance to be very special together.
Go Rhody
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Ramball wrote: 2 years ago UConn ended up in the AAC because the new Big East did not invite them to join because of the arrogance of Jim Calhoun..
Actually, Gavitt invited Holy Cross first. The Holy Cross administration had delusions of belonging in the Ivy League and turned Gavitt down. Only then did Gavitt turn to Boston College.

And much as I love to point out Calhoun's arrogance, the Leg-humpers wound up in the AAC because they were trying to be a 1-A football school and needed a 1-A conference.

Gavitt's players engaged in lots of criminal activity, only some of which leaked out to the neighborhood. In the mid-1970s he had a Yugoslavian center named Mladen Filipan known for shoplifting sprees in the campus bookstore. And around 1976 a guard named Dwight Williams stabbed another student over a billiards game in the student center.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
Actually, Gavitt invited Holy Cross first. The Holy Cross administration had delusions of belonging in the Ivy League and turned Gavitt down. Only then did Gavitt turn to Boston College.

And much as I love to point out Calhoun's arrogance, the Leg-humpers wound up in the AAC because they were trying to be a 1-A football school and needed a 1-A conference.

Gavitt's players engaged in lots of criminal activity, only some of which leaked out to the neighborhood. In the mid-1970s he had a Yugoslavian center named Mladen Filipan known for shoplifting sprees in the campus bookstore. And around 1976 a guard named Dwight Williams stabbed another student over a billiards game in the student center.
UCONN was an original member of the Big East. Dom Perno was the Coach. Gavitt screwed URI and UMASS by not inviting them.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Ketvirtis was a 6'10" Center ON the PC Team.

NYTime article about the handling of the Tire Iron incident

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/opin ... state.html
Thanks ramster for that link. Great column. I wouldn't expect anything less from Joe Nocera. He's one of Providence's finest.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Refs sure have been much of the story these last few days

Texas went to the line only 12 times and Purdue went 46 times incredible disparity
Ummm....Purdue has a 7'4" center that gets hacked every time he has the ball. And an All Big-Ten 6'10", 260 lbs. "back up". That's why Texas fouled so much. And Purdue has a guard who is the fastest straight line driver to the basket in the college game. They can't stay in front of him.

You can't just look at number of fouls and say officiating was bad.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St Bonaventure with a chance tonight to go to Madison Square Garden and the Final 4 of the NIT
Bonnies have defeated 2 P5 Teams both on the road at Colorado at Oklahoma - Both were QUAD 1 Wins

NET in Red
NIT Quarterfinal Games - Tonight:
  • St Bonaventure-85 @ Virginia-83 (-3) 7pm ESPN
  • Vanderbilt-66 @ Xavier-40 (-2) 9pm ESPN
NIT Quarterfinal Games - Wednesday Night:
  • Wake Forest-48 @ Texas A&M-43 (-2.5) 7pm ESPN2
  • Washington State-61 @ BYU-54 (-3) 9pm ESPN2
St Bonaventure-85 has advanced by:
  • Won @ Colorado-70; 76-68
  • Won @ Oklahoma-39; 70-68

Other A10 NIT Team Results:
Dayton-58
  • Won @ Toledo-75; 74-55
  • Lost @ Vanderbilt-66; 70-68 OT
St Louis-64
  • Lost @ Northern Iowa-100; 80-68
VCU-56
  • Won @ Princeton-105; 90-79
  • Lost @ Wake Forest-48; 80-74
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Going to watch Bonaventure @ UVA should be a good one , glad Lofton keeps playing after missing those 2 freebies in the tournament
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Going to watch Bonaventure @ UVA should be a good one , glad Lofton keeps playing after missing those 2 freebies in the tournament
Lofton is playing well.
Osun Osunniyi had 13P 10R vs Colorado and 14P 10R vs a big Oklahoma team. He is looking very good this NIT so far
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Going to watch Bonaventure @ UVA should be a good one , glad Lofton keeps playing after missing those 2 freebies in the tournament
Lofton is playing well.
Osun Osunniyi had 13P 10R vs Colorado and 14P 10R vs a big Oklahoma team. He is looking very good this NIT so far
Yes he’s an absolute difference maker in the paint , won’t miss him when we play them next year
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Watching the Bonnies and this game is a shitshow. Can they get to 30 points at the half? Combined?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Turning this crap off. Bonnies leads 21-17 at half. In the quarterfinals of the NIT. Holy moly.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Turning this crap off. Bonnies leads 21-17 at half. In the quarterfinals of the NIT. Holy moly.
I watched it an absolute war

Bonnie’s have a great chance to advance to MSG
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Bonnie’s win and going to MSG. UMass is going to have to wait longer if Schmidt is their guy.
Slava Ukraini!