Men's Postseason Tournament Talk 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Men's Postseason Tournament Talk 2021-22

Unread post by bigappleram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Carolina is doing to St. Peter's what they did to us in 1993.
I was having flashbacks of that nightmare.
Wasn't alive then

I'm sure that was embarrassing...beat a good Purdue team, feeling all that Rhody pride then get killed like that. That game and Duke 2018 shouldn't have happened like that.
Now imagine you are a kid and paint your face for the first (and only time) blue and white and by the first TV timeout you are in the bathroom wiping it off. The Purdue game was fun but Montross, Reese and UNC stomped us.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago

I was having flashbacks of that nightmare.
Wasn't alive then

I'm sure that was embarrassing...beat a good Purdue team, feeling all that Rhody pride then get killed like that. That game and Duke 2018 shouldn't have happened like that.
Now imagine you are a kid and paint your face for the first (and only time) blue and white and by the first TV timeout you are in the bathroom wiping it off. The Purdue game was fun but Montross, Reese and UNC stomped us.
Yeah and that Duke game hurt. Living outside of RI being a Rhody fan people will ask me "is RI even D1?"

Then we are actually good and my team is finally getting respect and we go out and do what they would expect little Rhode Island to do against Duke. Ugh
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Horrible news, I feel so bad for this young man.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

This Final Four is like Google, Amazon, Apple and Microsoft.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

And they all wear blue.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Yawn
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

Wasn't alive then

Yeah and that Duke game hurt. Living outside of RI being a Rhody fan people will ask me "is RI even D1?"

Then we are actually good and my team is finally getting respect and we go out and do what they would expect little Rhode Island to do against Duke. Ugh
Yeah those games are really good analogies win a very tough 1st round game v Purdue 93 and Okla 18 and then get pasted in the round of 32 though I think we were about even we with Duke for the first 8-10 minutes and the final scores we were a bit closer v Duke compared to the pasting UNC put on us
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NIT Madison Square Garden - Semifinals - Tonight Tuesday March 29

NET in Red

• St Bonaventure (-1.5) 85 vs Xavier-40 7pm ESPN
  • Washington State-61 vs Texas A&M (-1.5) 43 9:30pm ESPN2

St Bonaventure(85) should have a big contingent of fans at MSG. Big East vs Atlantic 10. Possibly the last NIT at the Garden? Bonaventure announcements have been quiet due to team still playing. Does Mark Schmidt remain at St Bonaventure even though UMASS chose Frank Martin? Any other teams interested? How much of a raise does he get if he stays and potentially wins the NIT? How many, if any, St Bonaventure Starters extend for 1 more year in Olean? Bonnies have won @ Colorado70 76-68, @ Oklahoma39 70-68 and @ Virginia83 52-51

Xavier(40) replaced Travis Steele with Interim Coach Jonas Hayes AFTER they won their 1st NIT Game vs Cleveland State(182) 72-68. Hayes then coached wins vs P5 SEC Florida(59) 72-56 and vs P5 SEC Vanderbilt(66) 75-73. Meanwhile new hire Sean Miller watches Hayes Coach his future team :roll: :roll:
Hayes is increasing his market value. Could be a candidate to replace Rob Lanier at Georgia State who recently took the SMU job. His twin brother, Jarvis Hayes is an Assistant Coach for Georgia State. Jonas had some speculation as a candidate for the Georgia job that went to Mike White from Florida. The Jonas Twins played at Western Carolina then both transferred to Georgia to finish out their college playing days. The Twins (yes the twins) played HS at the same HS as Antonio Reynolds Dean - Douglass HS in Atlanta. So a lot riding on Jonas Hayes and Xavier tonight.

Texas A&M was the last team in on Joe Lunardi's Final Bracketology. Buzz Williams was furious that A&M was not selected. A&M in the NIT has beaten Alcorn State(265) 74-62, Oregon(76) 75-60 and Wake Forest(48) 67-52 - all at home.

Washington State is traveling the furthest to MSG. They have beaten Santa Clara(67) 63-50, @ SMU(45) 75-63 and @ Brigham Young(54) 77-58

And of course following these NIT Games we will have more players entering Portal Paloosa!!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The Hayes brothers played for Coach Jim Harrick @ UGA

Bonaventure has a great chance tonight
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

St Bonaventure may be a very small school with an enrollment of just 1,850 undergrads but it has a very loyal core group of supporters. Its alumni raised some $50,000 in funds within a few days to pay for 8 buses to transport students to tonight's NIT games at MSG. Unfortunately, there have been multiple issues with different buses along the road getting to NYC.

Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago St Bonaventure may be a very small school with an enrollment of just 1850 undergrads but it has a very loyal core group of supporters. Its alumni raised some $50,000 in funds within a few days to pay for 8 buses to transport students to tonight's NIT games at MSG. Unfortunately, there have been some issues along the road getting to NYC.

Let’s hope beer hat guy makes it.
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Let’s hope beer hat guy makes it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Let’s hope beer hat guy makes it.

They showed him in TV in the stands often during the Bonnies @ Virginia Game in Charlottesville.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sean Miller pounding the Bonnies up by 10 early.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Sean Miller pounding the Bonnies up by 10 early.
I thought Jonas Hayes would remain as the head coach for the rest of the NIT? Miller is coaching tonight?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
I thought Jonas Hayes would remain as the head coach for the rest of the NIT? Miller is coaching tonight?
yup.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong. But all the interviews have been with Miller.
Last edited by theblueram 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
yup.

Hayes is coaching
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

yup.

Hayes is coaching
Yeah I see that now. I just have been watching one off and just kept seeing Miller so I thought he was coaching already.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

In any event Bonnies getting their arse kicked.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Decent comeback falls short Xavier win by 7
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NIT Madison Square Garden - Championship
Thursday March 31

• Texas A & M (-4.5) vs Xavier - 7pm ESPN
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Xavier looks like a different team with Hayes coaching.

Guess the problem was the previous coach.......
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

The end of an era. This is the last NIT to be played in the Garden. Due to high rental costs ($350k per day) it's no longer feasible. The tournament will move to some other location - possibly Hinkley Fieldhouse or the Palestra.

Trivia question for the old timers: The previous Madison Square Garden had an X on the floor. Imaginary game ball to the first to answer correctly!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

NHRamFan wrote: 2 years ago The end of an era. This is the last NIT to be played in the Garden. Due to high rental costs ($350k per day) it's no longer feasible. The tournament will move to some other location - possibly Hinkley Fieldhouse or the Palestra.

Trivia question for the old timers: The previous Madison Square Garden had an X on the floor. Imaginary game ball to the first to answer correctly!
The shot heard around the world...Ernie Calverley's shot from 60+ feet out
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
NHRamFan wrote: 2 years ago The end of an era. This is the last NIT to be played in the Garden. Due to high rental costs ($350k per day) it's no longer feasible. The tournament will move to some other location - possibly Hinkley Fieldhouse or the Palestra.

Excellent Bos8. Great job. I was trying to think and researching the answer and there it was right in front of me.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago

Excellent Bos8. Great job. I was trying to think and researching the answer and there it was right in front of me.
Believe it was against Bowling Green, right? We'd go on to lose a close 1 point game against Kentucky in the final. 1946
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A SHOT TO REMEMBER ERNIE CALVERLEY'S BUZZER-BEATER IN THE '46 NIT WAS THE GREATEST HAIL MARY OF ALL
https://vault.si.com/vault/1996/03/18/a ... ary-of-all

Excerpts:

Ned Irish, the man who brought college hoops to the Garden, called the Rams "the most sensational team ever to appear in the Garden."

It was the basketball Shot Heard Round the World, and it dominated sports pages and radio sportscasts for days. "They measured it from the point where I shot, and it was 62 feet," says Calverley, who remembers that Garden officials later painted a red X on the court to mark the spot.

New York sportswriters waxed poetic about the Rams' victory. "This is written by one who would rather drink a Bronx cocktail than speak well of basketball," wrote Red Smith in the Herald Tribune. "Yet it must be confessed that there hasn't been another sports show in years which lifted the hackles and stirred the pulse so thoroughly as the performance of young Ernie Calverley leading his team to an overtime conquest of Bowling Green."

How significant was Calverley's shot? "It was the greatest shot in the history of basketball," says Glickman. "No question."

NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago A SHOT TO REMEMBER ERNIE CALVERLEY'S BUZZER-BEATER IN THE '46 NIT WAS THE GREATEST HAIL MARY OF ALL
https://vault.si.com/vault/1996/03/18/a ... ary-of-all

Excerpts:

Ned Irish, the man who brought college hoops to the Garden, called the Rams "the most sensational team ever to appear in the Garden."

It was the basketball Shot Heard Round the World, and it dominated sports pages and radio sportscasts for days. "They measured it from the point where I shot, and it was 62 feet," says Calverley, who remembers that Garden officials later painted a red X on the court to mark the spot.

New York sportswriters waxed poetic about the Rams' victory. "This is written by one who would rather drink a Bronx cocktail than speak well of basketball," wrote Red Smith in the Herald Tribune. "Yet it must be confessed that there hasn't been another sports show in years which lifted the hackles and stirred the pulse so thoroughly as the performance of young Ernie Calverley leading his team to an overtime conquest of Bowling Green."

How significant was Calverley's shot? "It was the greatest shot in the history of basketball," says Glickman. "No question."

Kudos, folks.

Of equal importance - the NIT was THE post season tournament in that era. Red Smith's description is spot on!!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

URI had also made the semi's in 1945, but got rocked by Depaul and their 6'10 center George Mikan.
The shot "heard around the world" was only the quarter final to knock off Bowling Green. We had to beat another team, Muhlenburg, before facing Kentucky.

Back in the day the entire NIT was played at MSG. Feinstein had a great article about it today in the Washington Post.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... re-garden/
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Little skinny Ernie Calverley grew up on Armistice Blvd across from Slater Park near the Pawtucket Country Club. Played for Pawtucket High which later became Pawtucket East High (and is now known as Tolman High) during his time there. Keaney had a pipeline at this school as it also produced the Shannons that played under him.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Xavier beats Texas A&M 73-72 to win the NIT

Jonas Hayes as Interim Head Coach for Xavier leads X to the Championship

Jonas Hayes’ mom and his twin brother were in attendance at the Garden.

Jarvis Hayes is an Assistant Coach at Georgia State where Rob Lanier just departed for the SMU HC job.

Jonas has a job with Sean Miller next year but maybe he has now coached his way up to be offered the Georgia State opening?

Great game tonight. Went down to final shot by Texas A&M at the buzzer that missed.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Xavier beats Texas A&M 73-72 to win the NIT

Jarvis Hayes is an Assistant Coach at Georgia State where Rob Lanier just departed for the SMU HC job.

Jonas has a job with Sean Miller next year but maybe he has now coached his way up to be offered the Georgia State opening?

Great game tonight. Went down to final shot by Texas A&M at the buzzer that missed.
Ramster, that was a fantastic game.
Great run for Hayes and Xavier.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Will be interesting to see where Jonas Hayes lands
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

nm
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think I heard that Jonas Hayes was going to be retained as an assistant by Sean.

I wonder about his twin brother Jarvis at Georgia State now that Rob Lanier is leaving for SMU.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think I heard that Jonas Hayes was going to be retained as an assistant by Sean.

I wonder about his twin brother Jarvis at Georgia State now that Rob Lanier is leaving for SMU.
They said on last nights broadcast that Jonas now had an offer to stay at Xavier as an Assistant Coach but they didn’t know what he was going to do.

He should take the Georgia State job if offered. New Arena next fall, twin brother on coaching staff, his home town. Will be interesting to see where he lands.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

They said on last nights broadcast that Jonas now had an offer to stay at Xavier as an Assistant Coach but they didn’t know what he was going to do.

He should take the Georgia State job if offered. New Arena next fall, twin brother on coaching staff, his home town. Will be interesting to see where he lands.
True Ramster he may of coached himself into a HC position somewhere.

Would be something if he ends up at GSU with his brother.

Or will Lanier bring Jarvis with him to SMU.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hayes is stock is high good fallback option with Xavier if no head coaching job
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Saturday Games - Mens Final 4

2-seed Villanova vs 1-seed Kansas (-4) 6:09pm TBS
8-seed North Carolina vs 2-seed Duke (-4) 8:49pm TBS

NCAA Womens Final 4 Friday in Minneapolis

NET Rankings. All 4 Teams in the Final 4 are ranked in the Top 5 in Season Ending NET
1 South Carolina
2 NC State
3 Stanford
4 UConn
5 Louisville

South Carolina beats Louisville tonight as all 5 starters for SC hit double figures in scoring.

UCONN wins 63-58 over South Carolina

1-seed Louisville vs 1-seed South Carolina (-8) 7pm ESPN
2-seed UCONN vs 1-seed Stanford (-1) 9:30pm ESPN
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Geno A does it again crazy
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m definitely entertained by the fact that Jay Wright’s lack of suits has become a minor Final Four storyline.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Villanova getting boated.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kansas up 40-29 at halftime as Villanova reduced the Kansas lead from 19 points to 11 in the last couple minutes of the half
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Kansas up 40-29 at halftime as Villanova reduced the Kansas lead from 19 points to 11 in the last couple minutes of the half
Boy KU came out like a house on fire going up 19 but nice run Nova to end the half , I think Nova makes a run but KU will prevail by a few
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This is like the 6th shitty tournament game in a row!

Haven't had a good game since the sweet 16!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Feel awful for Justin Moore.

I won’t congratulate Collin Gillespie on an amazing career until I’m sure he won’t be granted an additional year of eligibility to play in what must be his 11th college season. He is awesome and hateable, the perfect college player.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Was hoping one of the three channels this is on would spare us from the insufferably phony Jim Nantz and the incredibly inane Grant Hill.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Was hoping one of the three channels this is on would spare us from the insufferably phony Jim Nantz and the incredibly inane Grant Hill.
And Billy Raftery too ??
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Big men still matter.. a lot in this game. Ie Kansas and either Duke or UNC.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bacot is a big glass cleaner may get 20 boards

This turned into a good game