Not All Conspiracies are Fake: Archie Miller Next HC of URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Not All Conspiracies are Fake: Archie Miller Next HC of URI

Unread post by Blue Man »

Hello All,

As President, CEO, and SVP of the Archie Miller fanclub, we take these inquiries with the utmost sincerity and value providing our dear prospective fans with a detailed view of the impending rebirth of basketball in Kingston, RI.

We are aware of the destructive nature of similar threads on this board, so we ask that all conversation be strictly kept to the love, adoration, praise, of Mr. Miller, the hope of his impending phone number change to a 401 area code, and the conspiracy theory that will support this impending ascent to basketball glory in Kingston.

Ryan Joseph 'Archie' Miller was given a birthright to midwestern basketball royalty in October of 1978. Hailing from a legendary basketball family, with an older brother, they both played point guard for their dad - a legendary high school basketball coach for 35 years in Western PA, who won many championships. (sound familiar?)

Both Miller boys went on to play at high levels of basketball (sound familiar?) - Sean to Pitt and Archie to NC State. Their sister Lisa, also played D1 basketball.

Archie was a career 84% free throw shooter and 42% 3 point shooter for NC State and graduated in 2002.

Having been raised by a coach, looking up to his dad and brother for guidance, he moved up the ranks - an assistant at Western Kentucky, NC State, Arizona State, Ohio State, and then Arizona under his brother.

Archie then took his first rebuilding project on a Dayton. In his first year, he took the program to 20 wins after Brian Gregory left. 2 years later he brought Dayton to their deepest tournament run in 30 years, all with one marginal NBA player on the roster. Won 3 games and made the Elite 8.

The next year, with a roster decimated by injury - 6 scholarship players, none taller than 6'6 were shafted with a NET of 32 into the first four. From there they beat Boise and PC to advance to the "second" round where the lost a close one to Oklahoma.

He then followed the next two seasons with back-to-back NCAA births for 4 in a row in his 6 years at Dayton. The last 2 were a 7 seed. He won 2 A-10 conference titles and was A-10 COY. His teams averaged 25 wins once the program was rebuilt and played one of the toughest schedules in the country. They were the A-10 standard-bearer throughout his tenure.

He was then offered one of the best jobs in college basketball at Indiana.

His first year was a rebuild. His second year was a 1 seed in the NIT. His 3rd year was due to be an NCAA trip but Covid cancelled those plans. In 2021 2/5 starters were out for the stretch run and Indiana faltered. At Indiana, their fans believe it's 1987 and they have expectations that they should be in the final four every year. When internet gets to Bloomington, IN, they will be shocked at what has transpired in the decades since.

Their loss will be our gain.

What we will be getting is a pack-line, aggressive, angry defense. No one will get to the rim against this team. One of the best transition offensive systems in basketball, and a beautiful motion offense out of it. They try to avoid a half-court setup and try to score before the defense gets back. A fast break that would make Frank Keaney blush a bluer shade of blue than he ever blued.

Why this is a big deal? First, Archie is a BIG name in college basketball. His last name and his own accolades are very, very similar to a recent successful coach who roamed these sidelines. He was an assistant coach on team USA's U-19 world championship team with Ed Cooley. He is a constant salesman and will make an impact. He was just paid $10.3M to walk away from IU, after making $2.2M guaranteed a year to get there.

He is big enough, wealthy enough, and good enough to pick whatever job he wants.

This is where URI comes in. This is a program that a good coach can come into, overrecruit for the conference, and win at. Rehab their image. And go get another big job from. The other piece, is that we are a program so historically starved for success - that our standards are lower, our love for winning of any kind is greater, and he would be treated as a GOD once he started winning - not as someone who owed something to the fans.

He could make URI into what he made Dayton.

Why this would be so impactful, is because it would signal that URI intends to be a program. Not just a basketball team that shows up every half decade if they hit on the right "up and coming" coach.

Archie Miller coming here would signal that things in Kingston would be changing. That there would be investments required by a coach who was at one of the best supported programs in the country with the highest expectations.

This would be a hire that would send shockwaves throughout college basketball. Would turn eyes to Kingston for the first time in years. Would put URI in OOC games and tournaments we couldn't get without the brand Hurley built.

This hire puts URI back in the NCAA conversation in 2 years, if not right away with the transfer rules. It would spurn a cavalcade of donations, ticket sales, and excitement that felt like we lost for good. It means that URI would once again have an opportunity to claim the throne as best in the state, and compete for regional excellence with UConn if they can support the program in the way someone like Archie Miller would demand.

Why this is possible?

A) Tom Ryan. He is a great man. A revered man. A wealthy and generous man. A wealthy and generous man who wants our basketball team to be good. IF the David Cox era is truly done at the end of this year, URI will be required to pay a buyout. That buyout would presumably come from the URI Foundation. The URI Foundation's Chairman of the Board is a gentleman by the name of Thomas M. Ryan. If a buyout were to be approved, one would assume that Thomas M. Ryan the chairman of the board, would have a conversation with Thomas M. Ryan the generous benefactor, about who to bring on as the next coach.

Tom Ryan knows and loves basketball. We play it under the roof he built. The roof he so generously wants to see raising banners of basketball glory. He was right about Pitino over Cox. He will be right about the big name here too...Archie.

ENTER THE THUNDER DOME.

B) The Borzello article. URI's situation was mentioned as a throwaway "might come up" this year, with no names put in the hopper. Archie Miller's name is brought up as a potential to jump back in to coaching - obviously, because he's out of it. He wasn't named as a potential link to any of the higher profile names out there. Could be just because his stock may have taken a hit with the ouster at IU. But it's eerily quiet about Miller based on his availability, age, and coaching skill. The man is 43. You would think that would make him THE penultimate coaching candidate that is out of work at the moment.

C) The Borzello tweet. Where there's smoke there's fire. I doubt Jeff Borzello (who is from NY, went to Delaware, and is a national college writer for ESPN) is on this message board, certainly not frequently enough to know that like 4 of us have thrown St. Archibald's name out there as a christmas wish. He responded to the tweet asking that question about names for the URI job IMMEDIATELY. Within a minute. That's off the dome.

If you're a national CBB writer, you have your pulse on everything - and certainly can pull regional up-and-coming coach names off the top of your head to associate for openings. Becker and Skerry are always out there for URI. Even when the job isn't open. It's always a stereotypical starting point for a coaching search. Grasso and Mason are obvious names. Regional, up-and-comers - they'll be in the mix for every opening in the region. But Archie?

There is zero point zero connection to URI for Archie outside of the fact that he coached in the same conference for 6 years. No regional or family ties to the area. No outward snippets about his affinity for calamari, italian food, stuffies, or coffee milk.

But whispers?

WHY JEFF, WHY ARE YOU HEARING WHISPERS!? WHO IS WHISPERING!? WHAT ARE THEY SAYING!? He legitimately had to hear something.

The way that tweet is written. The timing. He didn't hear whispers on anyone else. He pulled those names out of his head and put them in a sandwich around the meat of the tweet that's about Archie.

ARCHIE MILLER WILL BE A RHODE ISLAND RAM. SPEAK IT INTO EXISTANCE.

What can we do?

Panic. My body, stress level, breathing, and general attitude have been in a state of panic for the last 12+ hours since I've started a Charlie Kelly mailroom conspiracy board in my office. My body isn't sure if I'm having a stroke or heart attack, and I legitimately think both ways to kill me are fighting so hard in opposite directions that I should be dead - but my will to see Archie on the sidelines in the Ryan Center is so strong that I am forcing a standard, yet elevated, heart rate to keep my body alive.

That's literally all I can think of right now. It's after midnight and I can't sleep.

But in the meantime, put on your tinfoil hat, join the fanclub, and let's go for a ride.

*but legit if this doesn't happen I will die.
22 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Archie Miller Conspiracy Thread.

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Tom Ryan checked out when Dooley shot him down about Pitino.

Now that Dooley is gone, I hope Tom is back in the game, and ready and willing to lead the charge to bring Archie to Rhody.

It's going to require a major commitment, not just in staff salaries but charters, practice facility, etc.

You know, everything that was promised to Dan, that didn't get done.

Finally get this program to a level where success is not just attainable, but sustainable!
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

For people wondering what my house is like right now:

6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man on crystal meth.......
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

No real new information, lots of wild speculation and worse than no recommended course of action. This is peak KB, peak 2022 Rhody fan and quite frankly peak Blue Man. I have no response other than to say I am 100% on board, and may god have mercy on our souls.
6 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Archie once coached with Ed Cooley so I'm all in! Love your passion Blue Man.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Make it happen Thorr !!
2 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

It is going to take something like this to rekindle the spark for me, we can only hope
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I just want to know how the CEO is only a SVP rather than an EVP or even a straight up President. Too vertical...need to flatten that management structure.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..I sometimes speak of the oversized ego big time basketball coaches have……in this case, the itch of real big time aspirations(major conferences)has been scratched……..so, I am thinking basketball coaches, from the classic successful deep basketball families want to continue coaching…..get back into it again, get back into the mix………so here we are……..a program where much of the campus infrastructure is in place(minus the practice facility)a program where the only way to go is up…….he is not in a rehab situation…….hopefully just a hoop junkie, a coach looking for a fertile environment to apply his craft……go Rhody……..get Archie…….will win the press conference walking through the door…….and the college basketball world will take notice……..
6 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago I just want to know how the CEO is only a SVP rather than an EVP or even a straight up President. Too vertical...need to flatten that management structure.
As a start up in these trying times, we try to work many jobs at once. It’s going to be a heavy lift to support Mr. Miller in a way befitting his talent and what he will do for this program.

We are open to hiring for our management structure and optimizing performance. Please submit an application with your head size for a tin foil hat.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Blue Man, how long did it take you to write that? Forgetting the content, which was terrific, but I didn’t even see grammatical errors like someone would normally find in a post of that length. Props!
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

count me in as the "Assistant To The Archie Miller Fan Club"

as i have been saying all along and answering every poll we had with 1 name and that name will be

ARCHIE MILLER

LET'S GO.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago Blue Man, how long did it take you to write that? Forgetting the content, which was terrific, but I didn’t even see grammatical errors like someone would normally find in a post of that length. Props!
I was too jacked up after a long drive and had too many thoughts in my head. I am not sure.

What I will say is that this is the most I've felt for this program in 2+ years. I am very concerned for my health if I am wrong.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago Blue Man, how long did it take you to write that? Forgetting the content, which was terrific, but I didn’t even see grammatical errors like someone would normally find in a post of that length. Props!
My guess is 4 minutes! I think that is Blue Man’s finest work yet. I’m all in!
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He reminds me a lot of Hurley. Besides the family basketball history and having a brother who's also a D1 coach. Archie has a strong personality on the floor and really gets into the game (hopefully not double tech level), but his excitement is fun.
3 x
GO RAMS
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Legit Blue Man, nice work.

Would Archie come back to the A-10? Would that be a problem for him because of his strong Dayton history? That concerns me for some reason.

P.S. - It's not just Ryan that can stroke the check. I have an acquaintance/friend through our kids growing up in Narr. together that could just as easily pony up the dough needed. Season ticket holder/fan/VIP alum. Maybe they could go halvsies?

Can lightning strike again? We shall see...
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago Legit Blue Man, nice work.

Would Archie come back to the A-10? Would that be a problem for him because of his strong Dayton history? That concerns me for some reason.

P.S. - It's not just Ryan that can stroke the check. I have an acquaintance/friend through our kids growing up in Narr. together that could just as easily pony up the dough needed. Season ticket holder/fan/VIP alum. Maybe they could go halvsies?

Can lightning strike again? We shall see...
…….pass the hat along the RC million dollar row(s)………
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When is the press conference? I'm there.
5 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Archie Miller would definitely be a grand slam type of hire were it to happen. If RI were to can Cox they should not even fool around and offer Miller the same contract they offered Hurley before he left. If he doesn't bite you move on.
11 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Nailed it. I’m in.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If the movers and shakers [read big boosters] want Archie, then it's just a matter of, would he want/take the job?

It would be great if thru the grapevine someone could gauge his interest.

If he has interest, than URI has to go for it.

Thorr, want to make a LOT of money for the athletic dept/school?

We're back on the national map if this happens.

daytonflyerfan will hate us, but so be it lol.......
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago Archie Miller would definitely be a grand slam type of hire were it to happen. If RI were to can Cox they should not even fool around and offer Miller the same contract they offered Hurley before he left. If he doesn't bite you move on.
1000%.
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago Archie Miller would definitely be a grand slam type of hire were it to happen. If RI were to can Cox they should not even fool around and offer Miller the same contract they offered Hurley before he left. If he doesn't bite you move on.
Legitimately my theory here, and the excitement around it, is that the offer would have to be what Hurley got. More importantly with the improvements and support than the salary.

Archie doesn't have to take a job, he needs to be sold on a job. I'm sure it's easy to sell Rhode Island to his wife and daughter. Her family is in the Outer Banks and I'm sure they love being near the water. Probably a step up from Indiana, even though Archie is from the midwest.

But Archie isn't coming to a place without a practice facility and without the basics he had at Dayton, unless the commitments are there.

It would be a grand slam for URI not just next year, but for the next 10 years+ regardless of who the coach was.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Doesn’t it take us like 2 months to complete a job search and hire someone because of arcane state rules? It’s probably not quite that long but it takes a while.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

He would be a Grand slam!!!! I'm in!!!!

Thorr make it happen

Proven coach, Name Recognition, Ability to get high quality OOC games, knows the conference and can get the players and get the players to play.

I do not believe any of the current plays will transfer out unless they are told their role is changing and mins decreasing
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Arch's agent should already have a contract offer in hand.
0 x
:lol:
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
I was too jacked up after a long drive and had too many thoughts in my head. I am not sure.

What I will say is that this is the most I've felt for this program in 2+ years. I am very concerned for my health if I am wrong.
Send an ambulance to Blue Man's house if we retain Cox 😂
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Legitimately my theory here, and the excitement around it, is that the offer would have to be what Hurley got. More importantly with the improvements and support than the salary.

Archie doesn't have to take a job, he needs to be sold on a job. I'm sure it's easy to sell Rhode Island to his wife and daughter. Her family is in the Outer Banks and I'm sure they love being near the water. Probably a step up from Indiana, even though Archie is from the midwest.

But Archie isn't coming to a place without a practice facility and without the basics he had at Dayton, unless the commitments are there.

It would be a grand slam for URI not just next year, but for the next 10 years+ regardless of who the coach was.
This was my thinking as well. It’s one thing to get the contract in place, it’s another to get the facility and perennial resources, assistants pool, etc.

Archie will likely be coveted by many schools, so he’ll have options. I think he’s best at a basketball-only school. There could be a few solid jobs available - URI, Richmond, Xavier, etc.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago

This was my thinking as well. It’s one thing to get the contract in place, it’s another to get the facility and perennial resources, assistants pool, etc.

Archie will likely be coveted by many schools, so he’ll have options. I think he’s best at a basketball-only school. There could be a few solid jobs available - URI, Richmond, Xavier, etc.
Xavier is getting rid of Travis Steele? There will be several jobs when the trickle down begins. Seton Hall may be open if Willard leaves, Georgetown will be looking. Pitt where Archie is from too. If he wants to get back into coaching right now, he will certainly have a few options.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Draft Archie
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago

Xavier is getting rid of Travis Steele? There will be several jobs when the trickle down begins. Seton Hall may be open if Willard leaves, Georgetown will be looking. Pitt where Archie is from too. If he wants to get back into coaching right now, he will certainly have a few options.
I mean they could? Been 4 years of Steele and no NCAA tourney. Granted they were a lock in 2020. They've been ranked but could be on the wrong side of the bubble.

Other schools that terrify me and could puncture my dreams - Pitt, though I think his brother is the front-runner. Richmond. Same conference, closer to her family/their alma mater. Clemson. NC State.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I wouldn't doubt Xavier, I just hadn't heard that. NC St most likely will be open and is his alma mater, where he was a good player. That seems like a very probable match, not to mention power conference money.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

What brought Hurley to URI? Was he on anyone's list as their new head coach or was he flying under the radar. I do not remember
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I would love to have Archie Miller as coach . He would definitely be my first choice as was Dan Hurley . Blueman , this would be a dream coach . I loved
him at Dayton .I have no idea if Archie has any interest in the job . I sure hope he does . He would lift our level of recruiting instantly.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago I wouldn't doubt Xavier, I just hadn't heard that. NC St most likely will be open and is his alma mater, where he was a good player. That seems like a very probable match, not to mention power conference money.
Tough job. Have they even been somewhat decent since Valvano? I'm sure they've had a couple years, but typically just bad. They'd probably salivate over obtaining Miller's services. Alum AND proven winner. Tasty.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
giovanni wrote: 2 years ago I wouldn't doubt Xavier, I just hadn't heard that. NC St most likely will be open and is his alma mater, where he was a good player. That seems like a very probable match, not to mention power conference money.
Tough job. Have they even been somewhat decent since Valvano? I'm sure they've had a couple years, but typically just bad. They'd probably salivate over obtaining Miller's services. Alum AND proven winner. Tasty.
Actually, if the NC State position opens up and there is mutual strong interest with Archie, Kevin Keatts would be an interesting candidate here.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We have a lot to offer very nice arena and a conference in the 7-10 range most years , I can see why the National people think it’s a decent job opening
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blueman, if we land Archie it calls for a tailgate and egg sandwiches with beers!!!!! I'm sure Thorr will show up again!
5 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Archie Miller
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

this is more like it

I remember when people were mocking me for mentioning Archie Miller

Down to the Debbie downers

I prefer to party w the Archie clan !
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Current/planned athletic facilities are much better on campus than when we were looking for a Baron replacement. Kingston is an attractive campus in general. Plenty of great places to live, summer is awesome ect.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm sold Jay! My tinfoil size is 7 1/2.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Archie is probably aware of URI's history of foot dragging when it comes to program enhancements, since he was at Dayton for 6 years.

It might take more than promises to lure him here.

One thing's for sure, if we do get him, promises will have to be kept and delivered on time, or he won't stay long.

If URI had done what they promised Hurley by now, it would increase the chance we could get a Archie type coach to come here.

There's a difference between being a wannabe program like ours, and an actual big time one.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Miller received a $10M buyout. He can wait for a great opportunity. We'll see if that's URI.
He's a legit candidate based on what he did at Dayton but his four years in Indiana were called 'middling' and 'uninspiring' by the media there.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The NC St job would have to be a concern if it opens for a multitude of reasons
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

There are a lot of jobs that concern me that could take Archie.

But I think it’s clear the next hire needs to be a big name. Thorr is a great salesman. Ryan has the money to make the infrastructure commitments if he buys in on the coach.

So why not Archie? Why not us? BELIEVE.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Supposedly we're about $400,000 away from having the practice facility fully funded. Ryan could make the commitment anytime between now and any potential meeting with Archie and we're breaking ground almost immediately. Other infrastructure could also be discussed in a meeting with him
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Supposedly we're about $400,000 away from having the practice facility fully funded. Ryan could make the commitment anytime between now and any potential meeting with Archie and we're breaking ground almost immediately. Other infrastructure could also be discussed in a meeting with him
Yeah buddy read those tea leaves!!!
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Miller received a $10M buyout. He can wait for a great opportunity. We'll see if that's URI.
He's a legit candidate based on what he did at Dayton but his four years in Indiana were called 'middling' and 'uninspiring' by the media there.
And the latter is why I think we have a legit shot.

If things had gone well at IU he would never have left.

Jumping up to the B1G and not being a success right away makes him a candidate the next P5 school would “take a chance on” which they may not want to do.

Fan expectations at the highest levels are different than ours.

He’d be a phenomenal get for URI but might be a question mark for an ACC school with an opening.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL