2/26 | Duquesne | 12:30PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/26 | Duquesne | 12:30PM (USA)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Duquesne University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Saturday, February 26, 2022
12:30PM

Media
TV: USA
Online: USA
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Duquesne Fan Forum

The race to the bottom of the Atlantic-10 continues as the Rhode Island Rams host the lowly Duquesne Dukes. Both teams finished the 2019-20 season with a 21-9 record & fast-forward 2 seasons and the wheels have completely fallen off for both squads. The Rams have lost 9 of their last 10 games & it is still not as bad as the Dukes. After winning the opening conference game against UMass, Duquesne has now lost 13 in a row. They have lost those 13 conference games by an average of over 15 points. At home against George Washington they shot 1 for 21 from behind the arc. Yikes! I believe the biggest question mark going into this game is which coach will be fired first once the season ends? Duquesne’s coach Keith Dambrot, whose biggest accomplishment may be coaching LeBron James in high school, lost the core of his team in years past as they transferred out. Players such as Sincere Curry, Tavian Dunn-Martin (whose FGCU team beat URI earlier this season), Marcus Weathers, & Lamar Norman Jr are all excelling on their new teams. Duquesne is much like URI in there scoring as they have 5 players averaging between 8.3 & 11 points per game while URI has 4. One additional note, as a reminder Saturday’s game is senior night, so the 3 dozen of you going to the game get to the Ryan Center early to thank Jeremy Sheppard & Ishmael El-Amin for their abbreviated time here at URI. My guess is it is being held on the second to last game because they expect a bigger crowd Saturday afternoon compared to Wednesday night’s game. This game is the final game of the 5-game mini plan so that may increase attendance, well at least tickets sold maybe not people in the seats. In addition, this is a game they may actually win. I don’t know what is crazier, the fact that URI will probably be favored by double digits…or the fact that I am thinking about laying the points. That may all depend on how many beers I have at Shaidzon before the game. Shaidzon is opening early for the game because they know the crowd will need some refreshments to watch this shitshow. My prediction, URI 69 – Duquesne 56. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
6-20, 1-13 in the A-10
9-9, 7-7 in the A-10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 272 (133)
RPI: 255 (143)
KenPom: 283 (127)
BPI: 277 (126)
Sagarin: 243 (122)
Barttorvik: 284 (136)

Leaders:
Points – Amir Spears 11.0 (Fr., G)
Rebounds – Kevin Easley 6.5 (Soph., F)
Assists – Amir Spears 2.8 (Fr., G) (2.1 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 34-28
H: 20-11, A: 14-15, N: 0-2
Most Recent Matchup: 1/27/21 86-65 L at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 – Duquesne
Match-up Predictor: 90.8% Chance of URI Winning
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/26 | Duquesne | 12:30PM (USA)

Unread post by section(105) »

……..maybe this will be the Dukes Super Bowl…..careful……….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The combined record of the two teams is 5-23 in conference. Should be a great game.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago The combined record of the two teams is 5-23 in conference. Should be a great game.
……..come join us……lots of seats……
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago The combined record of the two teams is 5-23 in conference. Should be a great game.
……..come join us……lots of seats……
I would rather be anywhere but the Ryan Center on Saturday. This is one of those games maybe you check the score at the end of the night. Maybe not. A who cares type game
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….well, we have solid roof……I think…….
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

What happened to the David Cox Radio Show? I got an alert that there was a show tonight?
2 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago What happened to the David Cox Radio Show? I got an alert that there was a show tonight?
Yeah same but it wasnt on 920 or the app. Honestly fair enough, no need to put everyone involved through that.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What’s the poor guy going to say…and who wants to hear it?!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Signs up on campus for Senior Day game

41CCAF13-91E8-4183-A0AA-73B697B368F7.jpeg
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Plenty of SECTIONS still available.
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago What happened to the David Cox Radio Show? I got an alert that there was a show tonight?
I got a ping from the Varsity App lol
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I feel bad for anyone taking the time to go.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
I got mine from FloMax ... I mean FloSports ...
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

………I think these are taped or phone type things no longer in bars etc?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

URI WBB at Dayton 2/26 for the A10 Conference Championship @ 2pm. Maybe put the game on the big screen after (or during) the MBB game.
What an idea...maybe draw a larger crowd
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rjv wrote: 2 years ago URI WBB at Dayton 2/26 for the A10 Conference Championship @ 2pm. Maybe put the game on the big screen after (or during) the MBB game.
Blue Man said they were advertising this at the last women's game, maybe even involving free food. If so, bad job by marketing again, because I can't find it anywhere.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

When was the last time he had a show?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
When was the last time he had a show?
Serious question: If nobody listens to the David Cox radio show, does it make a sound?
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
rjv wrote: 2 years ago URI WBB at Dayton 2/26 for the A10 Conference Championship @ 2pm. Maybe put the game on the big screen after (or during) the MBB game.
Blue Man said they were advertising this at the last women's game, maybe even involving free food. If so, bad job by marketing again, because I can't find it anywhere.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
This concept Blue Man talked about was on the big screen towards the end of the Senior Night game.

I also Got this by email…….

5D02082D-400C-4848-9AA8-DEC085EC2B4A.png
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

One loss closer to Archie. Believe!!!
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago One loss closer to Archie. Believe!!!
Jay, honest question for ya. I know more about basset hounds than college bball coaches. So why are you so hot and bothered about Archie?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago One loss closer to Archie. Believe!!!
Jay, honest question for ya. I know more about basset hounds than college bball coaches. So why are you so hot and bothered about Archie?
Please refer all questions and inquiries about Mr. Miller and my undying love for him to the Archie Miller Fanclub thread.

Thank you.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
I got mine from FloMax ... I mean FloSports ...
That's a top notch urologist zinger right there
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

URI 68-59 !!
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

dookies by 5
1 x
:lol:
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Thanks for update on WBB being shown after the MBB Game.
Now if they posted it on GORHODY
That would be great
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 2 years ago Thanks for update on WBB being shown after the MBB Game.
Now if they posted it on GORHODY
That would be great
Maybe they don't have enough hot dogs.
1 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Why is this senior day when we still have another home game left? Very strange.
1 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Not enough hotdogs I agree or maybe don't want anyone getting all tanked on $9 beer.....wait sell the beer use money to get WIFI
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI96 wrote: 2 years ago Why is this senior day when we still have another home game left? Very strange.
I asked this a couple weeks ago because I had bought additional tickets for Senior Night vs St Louis 2 months ago - silly me.

Then I had to get extra tickets when I figured out Duquesne was the Senior night.

I was told it’s because it’s better for families to travel for the Senior Night/Day festivities on a weekend. I can certainly understand that.

Watching games last Saturday the subject came up between the announcing team. They said more teams are going to this Senior Recognition Night/Day on the weekend to make things easier and better for families and friends if the players.

All that said,
1) I got one was confused and bought tickets unnecessarily.
2) I learned only by asking. No explanation for the change from URI Ticketing, Marketing, Team, local media……. Still haven’t seen any explanation
3) even when I announced the Senior Day being this Saturday in KB NCAA or Bust about a week ago so people would know my post strangely disappeared twice and then reappeared in the All Other College Sports section. Gremlins??? Russia? :roll: :lol: I even got asked why the hell I put it there :lol: :lol:
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Duquesne is bad, like really bad. Rhody gets the win, and this group gets to have something positive happen in the midst of a tough stretch. I like that.

Dambrot was considered a good hire at the time. Goes to show nothing is guaranteed.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Duquesne is bad, like really bad. Rhody gets the win, and this group gets to have something positive happen in the midst of a tough stretch. I like that.

Dambrot was considered a good hire at the time. Goes to show nothing is guaranteed.
He had 3 very talented players leave before this season.

Weathers to SMU, Carry to Kent St, Dunn Martin to FGCU.
1 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Duquense may be bad once again but don't forget they beat URI TWICE last season. One of their wins was even by double digits. It has come to the point that URI is now getting regularly swept by the likes of GW, Duquense, and Fordham.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If we do lose to this train wreck of a team it will be new lows for URI !!
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

reef wrote: 2 years ago If we do lose to this train wreck of a team it will be new lows for URI !!
Eh...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dambrot coming back next year his players may run through a walk for him let’s see if Cox players do the same
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Does the fact that Jeremy and EL-Amin are the only ones being honored indicate that guys like Walker and Martin intend to use that extra Covid year? I'm sure they have a pretty good idea of what their plans are at this point.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
URI96 wrote: 2 years ago Why is this senior day when we still have another home game left? Very strange.
I asked this a couple weeks ago because I had bought additional tickets for Senior Night vs St Louis 2 months ago - silly me.

Then I had to get extra tickets when I figured out Duquesne was the Senior night.

I was told it’s because it’s better for families to travel for the Senior Night/Day festivities on a weekend. I can certainly understand that.

Watching games last Saturday the subject came up between the announcing team. They said more teams are going to this Senior Recognition Night/Day on the weekend to make things easier and better for families and friends if the players.

All that said,
2) I learned only by asking. No explanation for the change from URI Ticketing, Marketing, Team, local media……. Still haven’t seen any explanation
3) even when I announced the Senior Day being this Saturday in KB NCAA or Bust about a week ago so people would know my post strangely disappeared twice and then reappeared in the All Other College Sports section. Gremlins??? Russia? :roll: :lol: I even got asked why the hell I put it there :lol: :lol:

It’s just plain goofy if you ask me
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI96 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

All that said,

It’s just plain goofy if you ask me
They should provide an explanation when a change like this takes place. Explain the rational.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And unfortunately for the program, the losses continue off the court, with third-year big man Tre Williams now out for the final two weeks of the season. Towards the end of the first half against Davidson, the forward suffered a meniscus injury. It looked scary at first since it was no contact but the good news is that there’s no ligament damage, making the recovery time much more manageable.

Williams will be back for the 2022-23 season but that dooms the current campaign for the Dukes. He’s second on the team with 10.8 ppg and 5.7 rpg, while also leading them with 2.1 blocks, good for 5th in the Atlantic 10 and top-20 nationally. In a season where there have been 10+ different starting lineups, the 6’7 forward has been the lone consistent presence, starting all 26 games.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2022/02/26/ ... son-dukes/
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

FYI - shaidzon is opening at 10. I’m on my way for some breakfast beers.
2 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
spookydog
Tom Garrick

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago FYI - shaidzon is opening at 10. I’m on my way for some breakfast beers.
I brought donuts. Come see me at the corner of the bar. :)
2 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rich Lerner must have picked the short straw.
2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Is the building as empty as it looks on tv
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Maybe there’s so few people the cell service might work so we could find out?
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Why does coach still let the Mitchells bring the ball up?!?!
2 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Probably 2750 here
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33