A little history, please

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

A little history, please

Unread post by PeteRI »

I've only been a fan since the Hurley years. So could some of you Rhody graybeards give some historical perspective on how this 💩show compares with past failures? Losing 9 out of 10 and dropping to 4-10 in A10 standings is horrible, but I guess we've had worse. It's just such a quick fall from grace that it hurts even more.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: A little history, please

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Hm, well, the program was kind of worse at the end of the Baron regime. He won something like six or seven games, and the cupboard was pretty bare as far as talent goes. The best player on the team was Billy Baron, and while he initially said he would play for Hurley, it's understandable that he reversed his decision on that. At this point, I don't think anyone on the roster is an All-A10 level player, but most of them are average, vs. unplayable at this level.

Beyond the on-court performance though, Baron also lost control of the team off-court. I believe the team's APR / graduation rate was on the brink of getting the program in trouble, and there was a prominent arrest involving a player recording and distributing video clips of women he had been with on campus. The scuttlebutt was that Baron had to take risks on bad character guys, in an attempt to increase the talent level of the team / to make up for recruits not responding to him as much.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Hm, well, the program was kind of worse at the end of the Baron regime. He won something like six or seven games, and the cupboard was pretty bare as far as talent goes. The best player on the team was Billy Baron, and while he initially said he would play for Hurley, it's understandable that he reversed his decision on that. At this point, I don't think anyone on the roster is an All-A10 level player, but most of them are average, vs. unplayable at this level.

Beyond the on-court performance though, Baron also lost control of the team off-court. I believe the team's APR / graduation rate was on the brink of getting the program in trouble, and there was a prominent arrest involving a player recording and distributing video clips of women he had been with on campus. The scuttlebutt was that Baron had to take risks on bad character guys, in an attempt to increase the talent level of the team / to make up for recruits not responding to him as much.
Was Holton on that team? He was a Big 12 talent
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Holton was the cameraman.
6 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago I've only been a fan since the Hurley years. So could some of you Rhody graybeards give some historical perspective on how this 💩show compares with past failures? Losing 9 out of 10 and dropping to 4-10 in A10 standings is horrible, but I guess we've had worse. It's just such a quick fall from grace that it hurts even more.
What took you so long to come around?
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Barons last team was full of freshman and sophomores with a lame duck coach. Billy was a really really player. Baron just let Holton chuck threes, but he was a big time recruit and very talented. Played at a high level for WVA.

Orion Outerbridge was good and still plays as a pro! Jamal Wilson put up almost 40 against Mason but I think he got kicked off the team?

But they were probably worse than this team. They could hardly even compete. Our defense can at least keep us in the game now.

We are more like Hurleys first team bad...
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Barons last years were a slow painful death. This is decapitation.
4 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It was likely the worst in the two DeGregorio seasons (1999-2001). His teams regularly lost games by tens of points.

The first two years of Hurley were tough to watch given the big rebuild that was required. Baron's last season was pretty bad with the previous year not all that great either. Malone's two seasons in the mid 1980's were brutal for the many close losses. He did however put together the talent that Penders would later reap the reward for. All but the first season of Claude English in the early 1980's were not very enjoyable to watch.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago I've only been a fan since the Hurley years. So could some of you Rhody graybeards give some historical perspective on how this 💩show compares with past failures? Losing 9 out of 10 and dropping to 4-10 in A10 standings is horrible, but I guess we've had worse. It's just such a quick fall from grace that it hurts even more.
Lol thank God I don’t have a beard, but I do have gray hairs!

Essentially I’ve been following the team well enough since the mid to late 90s. I thought Jerry D was a doofus. Baron came in my freshman year/first year of the RC. That was such a memorable first season and terrific atmosphere IMHO. Towards Baron’s last few seasons I thought he wasn’t doing it right = low energy not good rosters. Players had a ton of issues on and off the court.

The entire Hurley era, I was very fortunate to go to so many games and have so many great memories - A10’s in Brooklyn, etc.

I was super pumped with Dave being announced as HC. He’s a wonderful guy but we obviously are watching a program in dire straits. Certain things like marketing (lack of effort) and end of season events. The last one we had was 2018 at Quidnessett. I’ve said it before I’ll say it again - there is ZERO fan engagement. In this day and age it’s simply the worst I’ve ever seen. Back 20-25 years ago we didn’t have social media. This situation is way worse than the Jerry D debacle .
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

It's funny. The right coach could have taken the core of Billy Baron, Holton, and TJ and made it a tournament team as gross as that 11-'12 was. Jordan Hare was the next year. It might have had to be Bobby Knight with some of the issues but those four guys were all talented and Billy could have been the best player on a tournament at large team. Ironically, the old man figured out he was a different type player than his older brother somewhere on the Mass Pike on the way to Buffalo. He was a poor man's version of college Steph Curry who would take more twos than threes, get to the line, distribute the ball where Jimmy was more a shooting 1%er. Obviously, Curry is both which makes him a Hall of Famer.
As maddening as 2010 was, they weren't going to fire a guy who won 26 games. Could have made the case the next year, I guess. But '11-12 was as bad as it gets. And they were talented enough not to lose to Maine and Brown.
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Barons last team was full of freshman and sophomores with a lame duck coach. Billy was a really really player. Baron just let Holton chuck threes, but he was a big time recruit and very talented. Played at a high level for WVA.

Orion Outerbridge was good and still plays as a pro! Jamal Wilson put up almost 40 against Mason but I think he got kicked off the team?

But they were probably worse than this team. They could hardly even compete. Our defense can at least keep us in the game now.

We are more like Hurleys first team bad...
I remember Hurley tried petitioning to get Wilson another year. So he could coach him. Got denied.
2 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Nothing in the last five decades comes even close to the Jerry DeGregorio tenure of two seasons.

Just read this article to relive that time:

http://www.espn.com/ncb/2000/20000205/recap/tadrad.html

Some choice selected excerpts to provide some context to how bad it was:

The Owls (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today, No. 21 AP) held Rhode Island to two field goals in the first half in a 74-40 victory Saturday

the Rams (5-17, 2-7), who lost their fifth straight -- by an average margin of 30.4 points -- and 15th in 17 games

Temple led 36-9 at the break, and Rhode Island had just shot 2-for-20

Even Jerry D's departure was a clown show. It was announced prior to the season end (02/13/2001) that he would not be returning the next year. He then soon after had some mental health/fatigue episode resulting in a visit to the hospital. He then stepped away handing over duties to top assistant George Blaney.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Nothing in the last five decades comes even close to the Jerry DeGregorio tenure of two seasons.

The Owls (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today, No. 21 AP) held Rhode Island to two field goals in the first half in a 74-40 victory Saturday

the Rams (5-17, 2-7), who lost their fifth straight -- by an average margin of 30.4 points -- and 15th in 17 games

Even Jerry D's departure was a clown show. It was announced prior to the season end (02/13/2001) that he would not be returning the next year. He then soon after had some mental health/fatigue episode resulting in a visit to the hospital. He then stepped away handing over duties to top assistant George Blaney.
I was at that Temple game. Gruesome
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Nothing in the last five decades comes even close to the Jerry DeGregorio tenure of two seasons.

I was at that Temple game. Gruesome

I was there that Saturday at the PCC as well. I to this day have never seen such a level of ineptitude. It was the worst URI basketball performance I have ever witnessed.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’ve been a fan since 1970 when I was a freshman. Record wise the worst was the 4 win season when Jack Kraft came but he had dismissed half the team and started four freshmen (Jiggy’s first year). But we had hope because of Kraft’s reputation as well as the potential of our freshmen. The nadir was Jerry Duh.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Jerry's "tenure" was by far the worst stretch and stench of URI basketball. In my opinion, it's not even close.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I’ve been a fan since 1970 when I was a freshman. Record wise the worst was the 4 win season when Jack Kraft came but he had dismissed half the team and started four freshmen (Jiggy’s first year). But we had hope because of Kraft’s reputation as well as the potential of our freshmen. The nadir was Jerry Duh.
That team with Jiggy as a freshman started out 0-14. But they went 5-6 after that including a win over PC. You could see they were going to be good eventually. Of course, adding Sly 2 seasons later helped. :D
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
What took you so long to come around?
Born and raised in PVD, lived in NYC for 20 years, came back to RI right at beginning of CFL years so I followed Boston Title Town Teams until Coach Hurley came to the rescue. I hope we find his successor soon!
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I’ve been a fan since 1970 when I was a freshman. Record wise the worst was the 4 win season when Jack Kraft came but he had dismissed half the team and started four freshmen (Jiggy’s first year). But we had hope because of Kraft’s reputation as well as the potential of our freshmen. The nadir was Jerry Duh.
That team with Jiggy as a freshman started out 0-14. But they went 5-6 after that including a win over PC. You could see they were going to be good eventually. Of course, adding Sly 2 seasons later helped. :D
Thanks for the correction. That win over PC was one of the most satisfying on my memory.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago Jerry's "tenure" was by far the worst stretch and stench of URI basketball. In my opinion, it's not even close.
Depends on how you judge it.

It was definitely an open embarrassment in the form of a clown show. At least it was over quick. 2 years between tourney runs and the new Ryan Center gave Baron some pop to try and build something.

Adingono and Woodward were left and in our 2nd year we were "turned around" to the tune of 2 back to back NIT births with 2 wins. Obviously we thought there would be a "next step" that never came.

You could argue what Cox has done - though not openly and obviously a clown show, by the end of it will have been the worst thing that could've happened at URI. Hurley brought us to a tipping point. The right hire, or the right investments, could've brought us into the Dayton/VCU space in the A-10. We didn't do the right hire thing or the investments thing, and in 4 LONG years, we've squandered everything Hurley built and set the program back a decade.

Baron at least gave us "some" excitement relatively speaking. There were big games, close games, near misses, last second shots, and at least the NIT.

Cox hasn't been close to winning a "big" game. ASU last year was "close" but ASU ended up sucking. We've been blown out or embarrassed in the limited "big games" we played under Cox. We played 3 ranked teams in the OOC under Cox. 5 total (2 were Dayton where we got laughed out of the building). Outside of the ASU "ranked" game, we have been playing against walk-ons the last few minutes getting blown out.

I would argue that this was worse for the program long-term because there's no buzz any more. The NCAA's are long gone. 4 years is an eternity in the NCAA.

If the next coach isn't a big name it's going to be a long road to rebuild.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Plus, once Jerry D was fired and Baron was hired, he could point to two productive, active NBA players from URI during recruiting pitches. As much as we love guys like Dowtin, Terrell, etc., it's not the same level of NBA player to use as a recruiting tool. We were still in the minds of basketball lovers, at least through guys playing in the league. We've been completely out of the conversation for a while now
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Wow, that is a 💩show on an entirely humongous level!
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago Jerry's "tenure" was by far the worst stretch and stench of URI basketball. In my opinion, it's not even close.

It was definitely an open embarrassment in the form of a clown show. At least it was over quick. 2 years between tourney runs and the new Ryan Center gave Baron some pop to try and build something.

Adingono and Woodward were left and in our 2nd year we were "turned around" to the tune of 2 back to back NIT births with 2 wins. Obviously we thought there would be a "next step" that never came.

You could argue what Cox has done - though not openly and obviously a clown show, by the end of it will have been the worst thing that could've happened at URI. Hurley brought us to a tipping point. The right hire, or the right investments, could've brought us into the Dayton/VCU space in the A-10. We didn't do the right hire thing or the investments thing, and in 4 LONG years, we've squandered everything Hurley built and set the program back a decade.

Baron at least gave us "some" excitement relatively speaking. There were big games, close games, near misses, last second shots, and at least the NIT.

Cox hasn't been close to winning a "big" game. ASU last year was "close" but ASU ended up sucking. We've been blown out or embarrassed in the limited "big games" we played under Cox. We played 3 ranked teams in the OOC under Cox. 5 total (2 were Dayton where we got laughed out of the building). Outside of the ASU "ranked" game, we have been playing against walk-ons the last few minutes getting blown out.

I would argue that this was worse for the program long-term because there's no buzz any more. The NCAA's are long gone. 4 years is an eternity in the NCAA.

I judge it by clown show. Jerry D. was a clown show.

This is not a clown show. I'm not defending Cox but he's beaten Davidson this year, BC twice (an ACC team)...beat Seton Hall and St. Bonaventure last year...prior to that they beat Providence and Alabama.

Everything is trending downward with Cox...that's the problem. With Jerry D., there was no rock bottom.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

After that Temple game, Jerry Duh said, " we competed."
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

This is not a clown show. I'm not defending Cox but he's beaten Davidson this year, BC twice (an ACC team)...beat Seton Hall and St. Bonaventure last year...prior to that they beat Providence and Alabama.

Everything is trending downward with Cox...that's the problem. With Jerry D., there was no rock bottom.
Totally fair. That's just a matter of opinion.

I'd have preferred clown show in retrospect. When you're a spectacular dumpster fire changes get made fast and the opportunity to rebuild is faster.

When you have a controlled descent to the bottom, it's a longer climb back up.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I'd have preferred clown show in retrospect. When you're a spectacular dumpster fire changes get made fast and the opportunity to rebuild is faster.

Yep if we don't get the splash/sure thing type of guy, it could be 3+ years before we get back which means 7+ years of no tournament. That's post- Harrick Baron land again.

Is there any hope we pony up and get a big name?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Yep if we don't get the splash/sure thing type of guy, it could be 3+ years before we get back which means 7+ years of no tournament. That's post- Harrick Baron land again.

There's always hope. I have faith that we don't want to be like this forever.

But I have been wrong!
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

There's always hope. I have faith that we don't want to be like this forever.

But I have been wrong!
Indeed.

Lead the way Thorr! Part our red sea!

I'm going to believe until I can't believe.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i was at this game with my buddies... it was brick city in the 1st half...

needless to say we headed over to the foxy afterwards and felt better about ourselves
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I was also at the Temple game. When the game ended, Coach Cheney visited the ram locker room and told them to keep their heads up and that things would get better. He obviously didn’t know how horrible Jerry was. I started rooting in the mid sixties. Calverley was mediocre although the Rams went to the dance twice. Tom carmody an assistant at Duke took. over and did nothing. Kraft did turn the program around but Claude English got no support with one year contracts. As mentioned earlier Brendan Malone turned the program around with great recruiting leaving Penders to get the credit. Keep in mind the two guards who returned after he left were Steve Lane and Josh Oppenheimer. I wondered if we would get the ball across mid court. Years follow with Skinner and Harrick keeping the program at a high level but then came Jerry, who makes DC look like a genius.
Worst moment- I was driving to Kingston to see the Rams play St. Joe’s. Steve was doing the pregame and was interviewing T Bell. Bell said he wouldn’ be playing for a couple of games because he failed to pass in a paper on time. I pulled of the road and screamed and for the only time in my life rooted for a Hawk victory. My three hour drive got longer and longer.
Last point, many years ago I had a chance to play golf with Baron. I asked him who was the most difficult part of his job. He did not hesitate he said”parents”. Maybe certain things have not changed! Go Rhody!!!
5 x