Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by Matunuck »

Who will be the Mens BB head coach in 2022-2023?
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Head Coach

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Thank god for this thread
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

David Cox.

{Ducks to avoid getting pelted with soiled Bring the Ruckus t-shirts.}
5 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Shaheen Holloway.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..ABC…….
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Finding the proper coach will likely not be an easy process as there does not appear to be many obvious choices and the pool of experienced candidates may be thin this year.

URI has had ten coaches since the late 70's when I began to follow the program. Five of them were previous head coaches and all of these led URI to the postseason with all but Baron making the NCAA. Five assistant coaches were hired by Rhody in this period with all but one (Malone) already on the staff. Only one (Skinner) of these really had much success at URI with multiple NIT and NCAA bids.

Kraft (Villanova HC) | 1973-80 | Record 103-88 | Highlights 1978 NCAA bid & 1979 NIT bid
English (URI AC) | 1980-84 | Record 45-66 | Highlights 1981 NIT bid
Malone (Syracuse AC) | 1984-86 | Record 17-39 |
Penders (Fordham HC) |1986-88 | Record 48-17 | Highlights 1988 NCAA Sweet-16 & 1987 NIT bid
Skinner (URI AC) | 1988-97 | Record 138-126 | Highlights 1993 NCAA 2nd round & 1997 NCAA bid / 1992 & 1996 NIT third round
Harrick (UCLA HC) | 1997-99 | Record 45-22 | Highlights 1998 NCAA Elite-8 & 1999 NCAA bid
DeGregorio (URI AC) | 1999-01 | Record 12-48 |
Baron (SBU HC) | 2001-12 | Record 184-166 | 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, and 2010 NIT bids with six tourney wins
Hurley (Wagner HC) | 2012-18 | Record 91-76 | 2017 & 2018 NCAA 2nd Round / 2015 NIT 2nd round
Cox (URI AC) | 2018-present | Record 62-51 to date| best season in 2020 was cut short by COVID with final record of 21-9

The history of hired coaches over the last five decades in Kingston seems to indicate that URI typically needs an experienced head coach in order to have much success. Assistant coaches other than Skinner do not seem to have worked out. All the former head coaches however had some level of success. Three (Penders/Baron/Hurley) of these came from lower level programs while two (Kraft/Harrick) were rehabs from higher level programs out to redeem their reputations.

If URI wants a better probability for success again, it would seem hiring a former head coach is the route to go. The school has typically hired primarily northeast (Bos-Wash corridor) experienced coaches. Harrick was the only one of the last ten coaches from outside this region. Given that URI would be better served to hire a head coach and its past hiring track record seems northeast focused, who then would be the candidates? It appears to me that the northeast region has few sure-fire up and coming coaches this season. Hiring the right new coach in 2022 will not be an easy task.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Not to mention Dan left this program at its highest level in years and therefore a much more attractive option to attract a good pool of candidates. Now it's back to square one and basically a total rebuild. A rebuild job at Louisville will obviously attract high level coaches, a rebuild at URI is a different animal. I'm obviously not comparing the 2 programs, but the shape Dan left the program in you could potentially get a proven coach to move from another program. That's very unlikely to happen in the state we are in now. We will have to find the "up and comer" , like Dan was. Certainly not impossible but also not easy
5 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Not to mention Dan left this program at its highest level in years and therefore a much more attractive option to attract a good pool of candidates. Now it's back to square one and basically a total rebuild. A rebuild job at Louisville will obviously attract high level coaches, a rebuild at URI is a different animal. I'm obviously not comparing the 2 programs, but the shape Dan left the program in you could potentially get a proven coach to move from another program. That's very unlikely to happen in the state we are in now. We will have to find the "up and comer" , like Dan was. Certainly not impossible but also not easy
Kraft, Penders, Baron, and Hurley were all hired by URI after program downturns. All had previous head coaching experience.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Archie Miller
7 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Btw, Micah Shrewsbury is doing a very nice job in his first year at Penn St, which is not an easy job being in the big time but if you watch them his teams are very fundamental play hard defense and well schooled. He's a first year coach, but also worked on the Brad Stevens and Matt painter
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Not to mention Dan left this program at its highest level in years and therefore a much more attractive option to attract a good pool of candidates. Now it's back to square one and basically a total rebuild. A rebuild job at Louisville will obviously attract high level coaches, a rebuild at URI is a different animal. I'm obviously not comparing the 2 programs, but the shape Dan left the program in you could potentially get a proven coach to move from another program. That's very unlikely to happen in the state we are in now. We will have to find the "up and comer" , like Dan was. Certainly not impossible but also not easy
Kraft, Penders, Baron, and Hurley were all hired by URI after program downturns. All had previous head coaching experience.

True, but they threw a lot of money at Kraft and he had problems at Villanova, Penders was still a young guy coming from Fordham trying to establish himself, hence his short stay, Hurley was coming from Wagner a clear step up, utilizing URI has a stepping stone which is fine. I certainly believe it's possible whatever direction they decide to go , I may be foolish but I believe this program can succeed, whether it's an experienced coach or younger coach on the rise, if he's the right guy. It's not very easy. We see teams looking for the right guy every year at various schools and most times it doesn't work out. I thought David Cox would continue what Danny established, obviously Thor did too, but it hasn't worked out so let's move on whatever direction they decide to go.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Btw, Micah Shrewsbury is doing a very nice job in his first year at Penn St, which is not an easy job being in the big time but if you watch them his teams are very fundamental play hard defense and well schooled. He's a first year coach, but also worked on the Brad Stevens and Matt painter
Pretty sure he interviewed here too, right?
0 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Btw, Micah Shrewsbury is doing a very nice job in his first year at Penn St, which is not an easy job being in the big time but if you watch them his teams are very fundamental play hard defense and well schooled. He's a first year coach, but also worked on the Brad Stevens and Matt painter
If he did then wow.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If we could get him, Archie Miller would be a great hire for sure. I looked at the hot seat and they are there for a reason.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Pipe dream and useless to even mention him in a pool of realistic candidates.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Why is that BAR? Maybe the guy likes the A10 and wants to come back?
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….I suppose some here are gonna trot out , again, the Luke’s, Jimmy’s, PMurph’s, of the men’s neva been HCs of the world……..but a big no! …….not us, not now, not gonna happen……Been there, done that……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Why is that BAR? Maybe the guy likes the A10 and wants to come back?
2.5-3MM reasons why it’s not realistic.
I also bet he is in the mix for Pitt opening when that happens.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Why is that BAR? Maybe the guy likes the A10 and wants to come back?
We offered DH 2M.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
We offered DH 2M.
That’s still potentially another 1MM on top of that.
And we offered DH that after he proved he could make us a perennial Top 35 type program. Forgetting whether Archie would even be interested I just do not see a scenario where URI puts students on their TV product to save a few thousand bucks and pays the next coach 3mm. Hence why I think it’s an unrealistic and rather useless convo.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yes, he was a finalist along with Cox, Becker, and Dooley
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
God all those guys would've been waaaaaaay better than Cox
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We offered DH 2M.
And we offered DH that after he proved he could make us a perennial Top 35 type program. Forgetting whether Archie would even be interested I just do not see a scenario where URI puts students on their TV product to save a few thousand bucks and pays the next coach 3mm. Hence why I think it’s an unrealistic and rather useless convo.
They may be looking at an empty RC then. Time to pay up. Schools at where we want to be are paying the money. But hey, go cheap on your coach, have 1500 fans in the stands to buy your $9 beers. I'm not a rocket surgeon, just a business man. I think the fan base is not going to stand for a Baron type coach anymore. Evidenced by the posts against Cox in his 4th year.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Watching this PC game and other games around the country really shows you how absolutely inept we are.

I'm seeing great passing. Clutch threes. Guards taking it to the hoop and finishing. They aren't throwing the ball out of bounds and I almost never see a slew of entry pass turnovers....
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Not Dooley:

Dooley returned to ECU for a second stint as head coach in 2018 after five successful years at Florida Gulf Coast. However, things have gone worse than they did the first time he was with the Pirates, when he was fired after four seasons with no postseason appearances. This is now year four again (eight overall) and Dooley is just 29-52 (10-36) this time around, with two years left on a deal that pays him close to $1M/yr despite three-straight 11th place AAC finishes.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Not Dooley:

Dooley returned to ECU for a second stint as head coach in 2018 after five successful years at Florida Gulf Coast. However, things have gone worse than they did the first time he was with the Pirates, when he was fired after four seasons with no postseason appearances. This is now year four again (eight overall) and Dooley is just 29-52 (10-36) this time around, with two years left on a deal that pays him close to $1M/yr despite three-straight 11th place AAC finishes.
I remember when Dooley was at Kansas and considered one of the top recruiters in the nation.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

We offered DH 2M.
They may be looking at an empty RC then. Time to pay up. Schools at where we want to be are paying the money. But hey, go cheap on your coach, have 1500 fans in the stands to buy your $9 beers. I'm not a rocket surgeon, just a business man. I think the fan base is not going to stand for a Baron type coach anymore. Evidenced by the posts against Cox in his 4th year.

I haven’t seen rocket surgeon mentioned here in a while. Thanks for the laugh. If Cox is here next season there will be more fans at the local junior high games.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ECR will proven right

Just like he was years ago

CUT BAIT
1 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Juwan Howard … add his name to list lol
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago Juwan Howard … add his name to list lol
:lol:
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago Juwan Howard … add his name to list lol
Lol
1 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

In hindsight getting Schrewsbury in here would have been great . He must have gotten valuable experience learning under Brad Stevens , our team would have probably been well disciplined opposite of what we are now
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If the short list comes out, please everyone on twitter or social media let the candidates put in their contract we need replay on the media boards and wifi needs to be upgraded. Thanks. Can't believe I have to ask for that in 2022.
6 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Archie Miller is only a remote possibility because hes coached in this conference, but its a step back. At the same time, it might be what he needs to regain his reputation. I don't see him getting Indiana money right away from anyone, so a URI budget may be realsitic. Its fun to dream.
0 x
GO RAMS
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

How about Brandin Knight?

Played for Ben Howland and had a great career in a tough Big East. Has worked under Jamie Dixon and now Steve Pikiell in the massive Rutgers rebuild. NJ guy with tri-state area connections. Big East, ACC and Big Ten experience.

I know he hasn't been a head coach but I'd take a chance on him.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This thread is premature and redundant. We don’t need another parallel discussion of what is already present in several other active threads.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Premature? This thread should have been started last year.
3 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago This thread is premature and redundant. We don’t need another parallel discussion of what is already present in several other active threads.
I would say it's the complete opposite, we need a dedicated thread to discuss who is going to be the next head coach of URI basketball and quite frankly, it's the only thread I feel like reading or posting in at this point in time. It's no longer a question that we'll have a new coach next year.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Hear hear !

glad you all caught up to me from
Years ago

Question is - what the hell yook
You
So
Long

?
?
?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago If the short list comes out, please everyone on twitter or social media let the candidates put in their contract we need replay on the media boards and wifi needs to be upgraded. Thanks. Can't believe I have to ask for that in 2022.
I’d have an easier time shouting to you guys from 200ft away than I would sending you a text from 200ft away.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago This thread is premature and redundant. We don’t need another parallel discussion of what is already present in several other active threads.
I would say it's the complete opposite, we need a dedicated thread to discuss who is going to be the next head coach of URI basketball and quite frankly, it's the only thread I feel like reading or posting in at this point in time. It's no longer a question that we'll have a new coach next year.

The more visibility on the lack of a foundation here the better!
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

We offered DH 2M.
Quick question...what does a rocket surgeon do?
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago

Operates on rockets, obviously.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago

Sick rockets only?
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I've renamed this thread to set it apart from the "Fire Cox!" thread. I'm also going to lock the poll from 2018, since that was where a lot of this potential head coach discussion was also taking place. For reference, that thread is here. As previously requested, please do not make a poll thread until we know for sure that Cox will not be the coach next year.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
Sick rockets only?

Only leaking a little solid fuel. It’ll be okay 🚀
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Very outside the box, zero chance he’d come here but an interesting name.

He isn’t squeaky clean though so some people here would be a hard no on him even if he was remotely interested.

Billy Gillispie.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..clean, dirty, don’t care…….this aging point in my life, want a winner…….ABC……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Bashir Mason. I feel like we have a good track record with Wagner head coaches. :)
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Very outside the box, zero chance he’d come here but an interesting name.

He isn’t squeaky clean though so some people here would be a hard no on him even if he was remotely interested.

Billy Gillispie.
Not going to happen, probably not even on the radar.
0 x