A tale of 2 teams

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

A tale of 2 teams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Lady Rams
53.8%: 3 point shooting
16/7: Assists to turnovers
15/15: Defensive/Offensive rebounds
50%: Free throw shooting

Non Lady Rams
23.1%: 3 point shooting
15/17: Assists to turnovers
28/10: Defensive/Offensive rebounds
44.4%: Free throw shooting

Oh yeah, one more thing. Tammi's team knows how to close. Dave's team knows how to lose.
Last edited by PeteRI 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: A tale of 2 teams

Unread post by Blue Man »

Anyone think the bad free throw shooting comes from not having a dedicated practice facility?

Feels like we always suck at FTs.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Anyone think the bad free throw shooting comes from not having a dedicated practice facility?

Feels like we always suck at FTs.
…….I will bite, not entirely no, the teaching of the FT mechanics and fundamentals of the action are missing……..a dedicated facility would help, but there appears to be no teaching going on…..with the correct teaching, one could teach free throws in Dooley’s old driveway…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Where do we stand among the schools in FT .% has to be at least in the 300s ??
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Unreal we’re not even hearing rumors of his dismissal.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Unreal we’re not even hearing rumors of his dismissal.
My guess is it will happen the week after the A10 tournament??
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Unreal we’re not even hearing rumors of his dismissal.
I mean, do you want the athletic department saying “eh yea, we might fire him, we’ll see”
2 x
Go Rhody
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Yeah Chief that’s exactly what I was thinking.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

And in a well run department at this level you never do
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I’m sure Thorr has to be stewing with how bad we collapsed this year
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Unless we have a sugar daddy, the money is a zero-sum game each year. It's not as though we can take a loan against future potential revenue. Where do we take the money now to fix the MBB program and support the upwards trajectory of the WBB program? No money is coming from the URI institutional budget or student fees.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

The first question should be how much money do we need to run a first class program in our flagship sport.

Next step- Fund it from the total existing athletic department budget

Finally, you cut or eliminate other programs or expenses when you are out of money.

In other words, whatever you do, do it well.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Some of you need to stop feeding his nonsense. There’s always room for financial improvement and institutional commitment. But, this program, when well managed, has enough resources to be at the top of the conference. We’ve seen it.
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago The first question should be how much money do we need to run a first class program in our flagship sport.

Next step- Fund it from the total existing athletic department budget

Finally, you cut or eliminate other programs or expenses when you are out of money.

In other words, whatever you do, do it well.
………I wish it was that simple…….we would become the A-10 team that has one sport, men’s and women’s hoops, thinking like that would move Tammi out the door……no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

College sports are bigger than just one sport at URI, just like everywhere else. We are not at the top of the list money-wise but have enough to be competitive with proper leadership. It's a weak excuse for the team's performance the last two years. Get Tammi signed up; then deal with Cox.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Some of you need to stop feeding his nonsense. There’s always room for financial improvement and institutional commitment. But, this program, when well managed, has enough resources to be at the top of the conference. We’ve seen it.
To be fair ace, we’ve never seen it.

What Danny did here was 100% because of Danny. Just like Harrick or Skinner before Baron.

We are only good when we have a good coach. Obviously, that’s an oversimplification and true everywhere, but what I mean is the peaks are “high” (like NCAA first weekend) but the valleys are LOW.

That’s because we’ve NEVER had the institutional support Danny demanded and we need if we actually want to be a “top of the conference” program.

Dayton and VCU change coaches constantly. They’re always competing for a championship because their back-end infrastructure allows it.

Nothing that was promised to keep Danny here has happened in 4 years. Just like in a relationship we need to get better for ourselves. Not for the coach who happens to be here at the time.

In 6 short years we went from “cute underdog story, to bonafide team to be feared, to disaster.” That’s what happens when you depend solely on the coach.

Ollie brought UConn to their lowest point in decades, and Hurley had them fully rebuilt in 2 years.

Without the infrastructure and without the next “Hurley” it’ll take another 4-6 to sniff the NCAA again.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I said when the program is well-managed, you’re saying it’s on the coach. That’s the same thing. That’s who does the “managing.”

What is in place right now is not prohibitive to success. Could it be better? Of course.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Yeah I’m sure Thorr has to be stewing with how bad we collapsed this year
A few weeks ago when Dave was late to a PC after a loss and he said “yeah I was talking to Thor” - like he admitted his boss is pissed. Not even an “I apologize for the delay…..” kind of deflection
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I just crunched the numbers to confirm exactly how bad our free throw shooting was for our last 10 games:

FORDHAM: 40%
UMASS: 50%
VCU: 41.4%
DAVIDSON: 82.6% (!) 19 of 23 helped us beat a top team
DAYTON: 78.6%
GWU: 44.4%
SBU: 56.3%
DUQUESNE: 54.5%
SLU: 45.5%
ST. JOES: 52.6%

In our last 10 games we shot under 50% from the line 4 times. For our last 10 games our free throw percentage was 53.7%

For comparison, here's what Tammi's team shot from the line over their last 10 games: 69.6%
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago I just crunched the numbers to confirm exactly how bad our free throw shooting was for our last 10 games:

FORDHAM: 40%
UMASS: 50%
VCU: 41.4%
DAVIDSON: 82.6% (!) 19 of 23 helped us beat a top team
DAYTON: 78.6%
GWU: 44.4%
SBU: 56.3%
DUQUESNE: 54.5%
SLU: 45.5%
ST. JOES: 52.6%

In our last 10 games we shot under 50% from the line 4 times. For our last 10 games our free throw percentage was 53.7%

For comparison, here's what Tammi's team shot from the line over their last 10 games: 69.6%
Just pathetic these are free shots just get in the gym and practice practice practice
1 x