Mitchell Twins

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Mitchell Twins

Unread post by bigappleram »

ace wrote: 2 years ago I’ve been baffled by a lot of things I’ve seen from Rhody this season, but pulling both Makhi and Makhel from the starting line-up for the last two games is definitely up there. My confusion isn’t about their play- they’ve been anywhere from great to questionable this season. I know coaches are often cagey about the decisions they make, but I honestly do not get it. He said he liked the energy the Martin/Walker combo brought? What? Was there supposed to be a message being sent to… someone? That he can be flexible or demanding or punitive or something? With the track record, I know the answer might not be anything more than desperation, but I want to know.
Spaghetti at the wall.
4 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago I’ve been baffled by a lot of things I’ve seen from Rhody this season, but pulling both Makhi and Makhel from the starting line-up for the last two games is definitely up there. My confusion isn’t about their play- they’ve been anywhere from great to questionable this season. I know coaches are often cagey about the decisions they make, but I honestly do not get it. He said he liked the energy the Martin/Walker combo brought? What? Was there supposed to be a message being sent to… someone? That he can be flexible or demanding or punitive or something? With the track record, I know the answer might not be anything more than desperation, but I want to know.
Spaghetti at the wall.
I feel like part of it is him trying to absolve himself of most of the wrongdoing this season. His post game comments often speak about a lack of player execution. And while many of those comments are true, he rarely put enough of the blame on himself.

Now he can say…. I tried everything. Even taking the Mitchells out of the starting lineup. Nothing worked. It’s not my fault. Players didn’t execute.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox does some Wierd things his better move was probably starting 1 twin not benching both
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Cox does some Wierd things his better move was probably starting 1 twin not benching both
I wouldn't bet against it. Stay tuned...one more chance?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox is reluctant to make a move I think the twins start out in the bench
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Let’s remove the twins from the roster. Any positives from these two are greatly out weighed by bad attitudes, stupid Technical Fouls, abysmal foul shooting and a guaranteed 5-6 turnovers a game.

Love when one of them dunks when we’re down 10 and they hang on the rim or stare down somebody for emphasis.

Losers. Remove them from the team this week please.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Let’s remove the twins from the roster. Any positives from these two are greatly out weighed by bad attitudes, stupid Technical Fouls, abysmal foul shooting and a guaranteed 5-6 turnovers a game.

Love when one of them dunks when we’re down 10 and they hang on the rim or stare down somebody for emphasis.

I have a feeling CamRams that most Rhody fans would prefer to keep them with a new staff, if that's how it plays out.

Wouldn't it be ironic if they both end up transferring to another A10 team.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I sometimes wonder if along their journey, they or mother, ever thought each would have developed their potential by being separated, going to different schools?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Let’s remove the twins from the roster. Any positives from these two are greatly out weighed by bad attitudes, stupid Technical Fouls, abysmal foul shooting and a guaranteed 5-6 turnovers a game.

I have a feeling CamRams that most Rhody fans would prefer to keep them with a new staff, if that's how it plays out.

Sure. My conclusion may not be shared but it’s clear to me the negatives outweigh the positives. Addition by subtraction.

Grab a forward or two off the portal.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago I sometimes wonder if along their journey, they or mother, ever thought each would have developed their potential by being separated, going to different schools?
Hasn’t been discussed much, but agreed. We saw it fully play out this year. Two legacy, post first, can’t shoot big men trying to play together. Doesn’t really work unless the other 3 players on the floor are above average shooters. And as know that’s certainly not how our roster is built
2 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

If that happens you definitely hired the wrong coach. You will never go anywhere with those two. I saw all I needed to see from them at the PC game to know they are trouble.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago

If that happens you definitely hired the wrong coach. You will never go anywhere with those two. I saw all I needed to see from them at the PC game to know they are trouble.
I don't necessarily think so
You may not like them and granted they do have some immaturity issues, but I doubt a new coach will automatically jettison them.

Besides probably doubtful they even return.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago

I don't necessarily think so
You may not like them and granted they do have some immaturity issues, but I doubt a new coach will automatically jettison them.

Besides probably doubtful they even return.
You are correct about that and I thank god Cooley saw thru their act and they are not at PC.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Some interesting stats related to the Mitchell twins here.

Having one player who is among the top 75 players in the country in block rate would be daunting for opponents, but having an identical twin who is top 20 in the country in block rate? Rhody opponents know there won’t be many easy buckets at the rim when taking on the Rams. This season teams are only shooting 50.2% on those shots at the rim, roughly 10% lower than the average division 1 team in the country. As mentioned above, the Mitchell twins have two of the highest block rates in the country, with Makhi blocking 7.2% of shots faced and Makhel blocking 11.2% of shots. Opponents make 4.7% less shots at the rim when a Mitchell twin is on the court compared to when they are not.

1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Some interesting stats related to the Mitchell twins here.

Having one player who is among the top 75 players in the country in block rate would be daunting for opponents, but having an identical twin who is top 20 in the country in block rate? Rhody opponents know there won’t be many easy buckets at the rim when taking on the Rams. This season teams are only shooting 50.2% on those shots at the rim, roughly 10% lower than the average division 1 team in the country. As mentioned above, the Mitchell twins have two of the highest block rates in the country, with Makhi blocking 7.2% of shots faced and Makhel blocking 11.2% of shots. Opponents make 4.7% less shots at the rim when a Mitchell twin is on the court compared to when they are not.

This would matter a lot more if it was 1978 and teams didn’t shoot 3 pointers. We almost dare teams to shoot against us, and then quickly realize if they’re making them we can’t keep up
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Sure, we have the 2nd best shot blocking team in the country and in A10 play, the 4th best defense. However the twins are so abysmal offensively it’s never worth it.
Between their high turnover rate and terrible shooting from the floor and the line, they destroy our chances for an effective offense.

We rate 250th in the county offensively. Only Fordham and Duquesne were worse in conference play. We are THAT BAD.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

You don't find two guys with size and athletic ability like that on many A-10 rosters. The right coach can make a huge difference.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It might be desperation, but I think there is more to it. Makhi and Makhel both start all season long.............Then Cox doesn't start both of them. Both? How do you go from both starting all games and then both not starting for the last 2 games? :roll:

Stranger #1. Then Taylor Funk is out for the St Joseph's game so Billy Lange starts 6'11" 240 lb Sophomore Anton Jansson for his first start ever. Jannson starts along with Ejike Obinna Grad Student 6'10" 245 lbs. So David Cox said in the Duquesne game he sat Makhel and Makhi the last 14 minutes of the game because Duquesne was playing a small line up then wouldn't that "logic" say conversely that you WOULD play the Mitchells when the opponent starts 2 guys 6'10" and 6'11" carrying 240 pounds each? Billy Lange must have wondered the same. :roll: :roll:

Stranger #2 in the St Joseph's game was that even though Cox plays small with Walker, Martin against the two giants, it's St Joe's Freshman Guard Erik Reynolds II who goes off for a career high and game high 27 points on 10-14 FG and 5-8 3FG. What was the defensive plan to contain Reynolds?

Even stranger #3 is the play of Makhel. @ GW and @ St Bonaventure Makhel played 34 min, 5-12 FG, 15P, 8R and 32 minutes 5-8 FG, 13P, 7 R. Not bad
But them the last 3 games gets really strange:
Duquesne: 17 min, sits the last 14 min, 1-7 FG, 2P, 4R
SLU: Doesn't start. 26 min, 3-16 FG. 10P, 7R
St Joe: Doesn't start. 24 min, 4-15 FG, 8P, 2R

Stranger #4 in the last 3 games Makhel is 8-38 FG for 21% in 67 minutes. Makhi is 10-20 for 50% in 65 minutes. Makhi has taken half the shots of Makhel and hit 2 more!! Strange that Makhel is taking a whole bunch of 18'-20' shots when he could step back a little and be taking 3P's. Not recommending that, but the 20' jump shot has gone the way of the dodo bird. Different look from the previous games this season. Something is "off".

Seems very odd that both Mitchells are not starting instead of just 1. Seems odd that Makhel seems to be going crazy shooting while Makhi seems to be playing better than Makhel - yet is "paying the same price" in terms of losing his starting position and playing the same minutes.

As you said "I want to know". :)
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I hope they come back. Under the right system, I think they can both be good A10-level bigs...
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

We are the worst at converting blocks into points. I can't even remember many instances of turning a block into a transition basket. If we simply were good at that and hitting free throws, and all other things stayed the same, the entire season is different. The microcosm of that was the play against Joe's where the kid kicked the ball to Makhel and instead of ending in a layup it ended in a turnover for us.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The twins aren't coming back imo.

A new coach will not tolerate their antics and won't let them do whatever they want.

Unless they decide to become coachable all of a sudden....which I doubt.
2 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

If you are going to get yelled at by mama for sitting one, you might as well sit them both. How much louder can she yell.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Yeah, I only shared the 'good' in that post. Here's the bad. I think it's a good summary given it's only a blurb and there's obviously a lot of areas to expand on.

As tough and physical as the Rhode Island defense is, the Rhody offense can really get bogged down at times. Now the Rams do score the ball at an above average rate at the rim at 62.4% and take more shots at the rim than anywhere else. They also convert shots from the perimeter at an average rate at 33.8%. The problem is that they take one of the lowest ratios of total shots from three point range in the country at 28.8%. They might be able to take more threes and shots at the rim if they weren’t constantly throwing the ball around, turning the ball over on 20.4% of their possessions. Finally, attacking the rim with the strong physical squad the Rams has leads to plenty of free throw opportunities, as their 36.8% free throw rate is 37th in the country but their free throw % of 62.3% is third-worst in the entire country.

The Twins are *very* effective at the rim on offense. The problem is they continue to take (and be allowed to take) a growing amount of shots away from the rim. If they limited their game to around the rim they would be / could be incredibly efficient offensive weapons.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And sadly many of those things were immediately apparent after watching one half of the intrasquad scrimmage. How paid professionals didn’t foresee that is frightening. The 1 dribble rule of thumb should have been enacted then. It was painfully obvious it wouldn’t end well.
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

All three Mitchell’s are yelling and staring down Cox.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago If you are going to get yelled at by mama for sitting one, you might as well sit them both. How much louder can she yell.
With all due respect, we can joke about the mother yelling about the sons not starting, but there is ZERO proof that she has interfered at all with Cox. This is not at all like MAL' dad at PeeCee who publicly excoriated Cooley for not playing his son enough. If anything Mama Mitchell tweeted that she would work on the techs with the boys, she has not said anything publicly that disrespected the coach or program.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago You don't find two guys with size and athletic ability like that on many A-10 rosters. The right coach can make a huge difference.
Yeah I think it depends on what kind of coach we get in there hopefully a disciplinarian who won’t tolerate their antics , if they don’t want to buy in let them leave
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago We are the worst at converting blocks into points. I can't even remember many instances of turning a block into a transition basket. If we simply were good at that and hitting free throws, and all other things stayed the same, the entire season is different. The microcosm of that was the play against Joe's where the kid kicked the ball to Makhel and instead of ending in a layup it ended in a turnover for us.
We have trouble converting anything -- inbounds plays, free throws, jump balls, bounce passes -- into points, not just blocks.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago
CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago If you are going to get yelled at by mama for sitting one, you might as well sit them both. How much louder can she yell.
With all due respect, we can joke about the mother yelling about the sons not starting, but there is ZERO proof that she has interfered at all with Cox. This is not at all like MAL' dad at PeeCee who publicly excoriated Cooley for not playing his son enough. If anything Mama Mitchell tweeted that she would work on the techs with the boys, she has not said anything publicly that disrespected the coach or program.
Truth. PC fans come over here and brag that #WhoDucken didn’t take the Mitchell’s.
Then come here and abuse them and their mother.

I’ve said it before and now again there is zero proof that Mrs Mitchell or any players mom or dad have any influence in David Cox running his team in the past or currently.

Never ever made sense once they didn’t both start last year.

I don’t understand why people continue to say these 200% unproven things nor understand how these things are allowed to stand here.
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

It seems many posters look at the twins and lump them into one basket as being the same. This is just not true. Although they look similar and share many mental mistakes, they have very different physical talents on the court. Makhel needs to spend his time deep in the paint. He absolutely needs to receive the ball near the basket to be effective. Layups, baby hooks, little pop shots are his game. This has not been happening in the second half of the season. That is why his shooting % has declined so sharply from last year and the first half of this season. He has been receiving the ball too far from the basket to be effective.

Makhi, on the other hand, can handle the ball a lot better. I don't mind him dribbling some, but certainly not yet in traffic. I think he needs to be given some opportunities to step away from the basket. I certainly don't want him living on the perimeter and he shouldn't be taking 3pointers during crunch time. Maybe his outside shooting should be limited until he gets his FT% up as an incentive. But I don't mind one or two 3-pointers per game at the correct time. And I don't mind him occasionally bringing the ball down court after a rebound, so long as he is not being closely guarded. But he really needs to improve his passing and his court savvy.

Both the twins (as well as our poor penetrating guards) must be taught to recognize and react effectively to collapsing defenses. Having said all this, I think any coach would take the twins in a minute. And I think a good coach will reap rewards. 6'10 guys with good hands don't grow on trees!!! Even given their many deficiencies, I would hate to think where we would have been without them. We lost a lot of games, but many of those losses were close. Walker and Martin and our mystery bench forwards, would just not be able to replace them.

I don't think they let us down, I think the coaching staff let us down. I hope they stay and the coaching staff goes.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

What about Walker. Would he be missed
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago What about Walker. Would he be missed
tbh, I wouldn't miss one player on this team.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think there's a good chance that we lose both Mitchells and Walker, whether because of transfer, grad transfer or pursuing pro ball. That would suck, because then we're going transfer market, incoming freshman or Abdou Samb at the 5 next year. However, I think there's a good chance it happens whether Cox is miraculously retained, or if we hire a new coach, so we might as well hire a new coach.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Cox is retained I will not retain my interest in this program..

And I'm sure I'm not alone..
5 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
tbh, I wouldn't miss one player on this team.
Agreed. There is no player on this roster leaving that would come close to Martin or Toppin leaving that would sting like it did when they left.
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If Cox is retained I will not retain my interest in this program..

And I'm sure I'm not alone..
Not even a possibility. He is 100% gone. If he was here next year we would be a complete laughingstock that would make the Jerry D days look good.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yea no doubt in my mind he is gone , don’t really care who stays I’m sure there will be a few departures
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If I were David Cox I would have Makhel Mitchell, Makhi Mitchell and Antwan Walker watch multiple games played by Eliel Nsoseme of Georgia State University and by Oscar Tshiebwe of Kentucky. In fact, I'd have the entire team and coaching staff watch multiple games of these 2 guys. Both players are from the Congo, both players play Center leveraging their strengths of rebounding, blocking shots and taking high percentage shots. You don't see these guys over-dribbling. They stay within the zone close to the basket, never venturing out towards the 3 point line. Wonder if that's how they teach basketball in the Congo but whatever they taught Nsoseme and Tshiebwe it has certainly worked wonders. They are also good role models and natural leaders to their teammates.
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
I think there's a good chance that we lose both Mitchells and Walker, whether because of transfer, grad transfer or pursuing pro ball. That would suck, because then we're going transfer market, incoming freshman or Abdou Samb at the 5 next year. However, I think there's a good chance it happens whether Cox is miraculously retained, or if we hire a new coach, so we might as well hire a new coach.
True, but if we bring in an active coach, there is a good chance he brings players here with him.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

The twins are definitely gone if Cox is our head coach next year. We could possibly keep them if we hire the right coach.

Walker was likely coming back with Cox here next year but idk now.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago If I were David Cox I would have Makhel Mitchell, Makhi Mitchell and Antwan Walker watch multiple games played by Eliel Nsoseme of Georgia State University and by Oscar Tshiebwe of Kentucky. In fact, I'd have the entire team and coaching staff watch multiple games of these 2 guys. Both players are from the Congo, both players play Center leveraging their strengths of rebounding, blocking shots and taking high percentage shots. You don't see these guys over-dribbling. They stay within the zone close to the basket, never venturing out towards the 3 point line. Wonder if that's how they teach basketball in the Congo but whatever they taught Nsoseme and Tshiebwe it has certainly worked wonders. They are also good role models and natural leaders to their teammates.
Even easier, I would have called up Kenny Green who seems very accessible and engaged with the Rhody program. Have him spend some time with the twins. Whether on or off the court I can assure you that would have been time well spent.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I split out the brief discussion about the A-10 awards, because they were officially announced today. You can find that topic here:

viewtopic.php?t=9176
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago If I were David Cox I would have Makhel Mitchell, Makhi Mitchell and Antwan Walker watch multiple games played by Eliel Nsoseme of Georgia State University and by Oscar Tshiebwe of Kentucky. In fact, I'd have the entire team and coaching staff watch multiple games of these 2 guys. Both players are from the Congo, both players play Center leveraging their strengths of rebounding, blocking shots and taking high percentage shots. You don't see these guys over-dribbling. They stay within the zone close to the basket, never venturing out towards the 3 point line. Wonder if that's how they teach basketball in the Congo but whatever they taught Nsoseme and Tshiebwe it has certainly worked wonders. They are also good role models and natural leaders to their teammates.
Even easier, I would have called up Kenny Green who seems very accessible and engaged with the Rhody program. Have him spend some time with the twins. Whether on or off the court I can assure you that would have been time well spent.
Another one of Cox shortcomings he doesn’t think about any of this stuff
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A big man assistant as you suggest makes sense Bar.
As I watched Nsoseme I couldn’t help but think of URI with Makhi and Makhel. Both have the height, physical build and at least the talent of Nsomeme.
If I was coach I’d have them both watch the Georgia State victory over Louisiana to win the Sunbelt AQ.
-Stay down low, get away and stay away from the 3 point line
-Box out on defensive boards. Don’t try to block every shot because that can take you out of defensive and rebounding position
-Stop taking 15-22 foot shots. Most effective and valuable for the team down low
-Box out for offensive rebounds. Get position as early as possible
-Pass the ball back out quickly to shooters on the 3P perimeter line
-Call for the ball down low, aggressively step towards the ball and don’t wait for it to get to you. Tell guards and coaches where you prefer to receive the ball on passes down low
-Dunk the ball whenever possible. Highest percentage shot. Less finesse more power to your games

Makhi and Makhel play hard. They don’t take offensive or defensive plays off. They are not lazy. They could carry this URI team to the Championship game and beyond. Team will go as far as these two guys take it.

But if some things don’t change we won’t contend long for the AQ. Hope they have a great next 5 games in next 5 days.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

For the 20th time - Our guards sucked this year. Our big men have been pretty OK to All-A10 level for the past five, maybe even 10 years. Between that, and how basketball in general is shifting toward 3-point play and efficient shooting, if we were to get a position-focused coach, it should be for guards. I don't want Jimmy Baron as our next head coach, like that one guy said months ago, but it sure would be nice to get him or some other freelancers in for some shooting drill work.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago For the 20th time - Our guards sucked this year. Our big men have been pretty OK to All-A10 level for the past five, maybe even 10 years. Between that, and how basketball in general is shifting toward 3-point play and efficient shooting, if we were to get a position-focused coach, it should be for guards. I don't want Jimmy Baron as our next head coach, like that one guy said months ago, but it sure would be nice to get him or some other freelancers in for some shooting drill work.
Do we think any of our guard play was impacted by 4 big men (the Mitchells and the 2 people guarding them) in the lane at all times?
Spacing issues would certainly limit the effectiveness of a guard like Leggett who thrives on slashing to the paint vs being a knockdown shooter.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Both Mitchells on the bench to start the game.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago For the 20th time - Our guards sucked this year. Our big men have been pretty OK to All-A10 level for the past five, maybe even 10 years. Between that, and how basketball in general is shifting toward 3-point play and efficient shooting, if we were to get a position-focused coach, it should be for guards. I don't want Jimmy Baron as our next head coach, like that one guy said months ago, but it sure would be nice to get him or some other freelancers in for some shooting drill work.
Do we think any of our guard play was impacted by 4 big men (the Mitchells and the 2 people guarding them) in the lane at all times?
Spacing issues would certainly limit the effectiveness of a guard like Leggett who thrives on slashing to the paint vs being a knockdown shooter.
They can pack the lane because our guys can't knock down jumpers. It's not like their shooting percentages magically improved when the team did play a four guard / wing lineup. Also, a common complaint about the Mitchells is that they bring the ball up, and that they shoot too many 3s - both activities leave you pretty far from the paint. Again, I realize that their technical fouls and not-so-great tactical decisions are really noticeable, "noisy" mistakes that draw the eye to them. But they can't simultaneously be taking too many 3s, monopolizing the ball and taking up too much space in the paint for the guards to operate.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

They can pack the lane because our guys can't knock down jumpers. It's not like their shooting percentages magically improved when the team did play a four guard / wing lineup. Also, a common complaint about the Mitchells is that they bring the ball up, and that they shoot too many 3s - both activities leave you pretty far from the paint. Again, I realize that their technical fouls and not-so-great tactical decisions are really noticeable, "noisy" mistakes that draw the eye to them. But they can't simultaneously be taking too many 3s, monopolizing the ball and taking up too much space in the paint for the guards to operate.
You say for the 20th time, but from what I read on this board Makhel and Makhi get the most criticism.
I like both of them but they have regressed in FG% significantly 2nd half of the season and offensive rebounding is a big opportunity. They have upside potential. The guards don’t have so much.

So if we are going anywhere in the tournament the biggest reason for my optimism would Mitchell upside.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It seems like Sheppard, El Amin and Leggett are all playing to their floor. Why is that? Shepp and Leggett both played better last year. El Amin’s stats have nosedived.

I’m not in the camp that they shoot too many threes. Nor that they spend a lot of time on the perimeter. I think they want to occupy mostly the same space and I think that’s the issue. I do have issue with the grab a rebound and try and go coast to coast but most of my other concerns with them both in lineup together is in half court set.
0 x