Mitchell Twins

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: Mitchell Twins

Unread post by PeteRI »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Maybe they’re planning on leaving and cox knows he’s gone so no one cares?
Now there's a conspiracy!😀
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Took 27 games but Cox finally saw a match up situation.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago Took 27 games but Cox finally saw a match up situation.
More like 110 but hey! Progress!
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I noticed one time during the game today when Cox seemed to be giving one of the twins instructions, that the player seemed to be doing a lot more talking than listening. I'm not close enough to have any idea what was said but maybe the Coach has finally heard enough.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago I noticed one time during the game today when Cox seemed to be giving one of the twins instructions, that the player seemed to be doing a lot more talking than listening. I'm not close enough to have any idea what was said but maybe the Coach has finally heard enough.
Umm yeah. His paycheck is ending in two weeks.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Could be good news for the twins staying for the new coach as they probably pissed @ Cox now as neither player over 20 minutes
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Twins leave they have to sit out a year. Can't believe they'd want that.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Twins leave they have to sit out a year. Can't believe they'd want that.
I can see it. Another year for both to develop, and potentially at a higher level program.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Twins leave they have to sit out a year. Can't believe they'd want that.
No they don't, they can apply for a waiver.
Almost all waivers have been granted, especially in the case of a coaching change.

According to Rothstein the NCAA is handing out waivers like seedless watermelon on July 4th.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Almost all waivers have been granted, especially in the case of a coaching change.

According to Rothstein the NCAA is handing out waivers like seedless watermelon on July 4th.
I do not know of a single waiver that has not been granted.

I'd guess the Mitchell's transfer with immediate eligibility. They would get the waiver anyway, but with a Head Coaching change 110%
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

You are probably correct, they have even granted waivers to players who have transferred 3 and 4 times.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

You are probably correct, they have even granted waivers to players who have transferred 3 and 4 times.
and sometimes 4 times in 4 years. Coaching changes are automatic.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I've always kind of assumed that their next step will be professional basketball of some kind. I don't think many higher conference teams would be interested in them at this point, and I doubt they want to go from URI to a lower conference.
0 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

I'm Not against letting them go And getting some transfers in Who hopefully can make it immediate impact
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I'd like to see what they can do under a coach who demands discipline and who isn't obligated to start both of them. There's talent there that URI doesn't often get in bigs.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago I'd like to see what they can do under a coach who demands discipline and who isn't obligated to start both of them. There's talent there that URI doesn't often get in bigs.
Agreed ^^
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago I'd like to see what they can do under a coach who demands discipline and who isn't obligated to start both of them. There's talent there that URI doesn't often get in bigs.
Yes this would be really good to see
1 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Can they be changed at this point, no matter who the coach is or would they just be a disrupting force? That is the magic question.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago
Can they be changed at this point, no matter who the coach is or would they just be a disrupting force? That is the magic question.
…..yes, yes it is the magic question…….not being a rocket surgeon, but I would say they can be changed, with a coach that will hold that their failure to buy in would reduce their playing time………..for me this is the Cox coaching biggest failure……..corrective actions with playing time as the hammer…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'd bet they're gone this year regardless of who the coach is.

They, mom included, strike me as a "it's not our fault it's your fault" type of people.

This situation hasn't developed them in the ways they thought. Mom's gone very silent on twitter and she was out and public last year about how good they were and looking for feedback on the twins.

I agree there's talent there, but as we saw with Jordan Hare, if it's not there between the ears it doesn't really matter.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I'd bet they're gone this year regardless of who the coach is.

They, mom included, strike me as a "it's not our fault it's your fault" type of people.

This situation hasn't developed them in the ways they thought. Mom's gone very silent on twitter and she was out and public last year about how good they were and looking for feedback on the twins.

I agree there's talent there, but as we saw with Jordan Hare, if it's not there between the ears it doesn't really matter.
Eh, I kind of think that's an unfair comparison. Jordan Hare barely played college basketball because of a combination of academics and personal life issues. Again, the Mitchells are frustrating players to watch, because it feels like they're shooting themselves in the foot with technical fouls and not hitting their full potential, but they're still valuable players. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but they're not the reason why URI is underperforming this year - awful play from the guard spots is.
3 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I'd bet they're gone this year regardless of who the coach is.

Eh, I kind of think that's an unfair comparison. Jordan Hare barely played college basketball because of a combination of academics and personal life issues. Again, the Mitchells are frustrating players to watch, because it feels like they're shooting themselves in the foot with technical fouls and not hitting their full potential, but they're still valuable players. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but they're not the reason why URI is underperforming this year - awful play from the guard spots is.
SG, I totally agree. I just can't believe how many posters dump on the twins. There is no doubt that they appear to be somewhat spoiled and immature, however their talent is obvious. Without good coaching, talent and potential is wasted, and sometimes immaturity lingers longer than it should. I would not be ready to give up on them. I would build around them.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'll never forget Jordan Hare quitting like the day of the first game. Really could have used him those early Hurley years!
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Something odd happened with Makhels Free Throw shooting this year.

He started the season 33/45 for 73% through the first 13 games. I remember thinking to myself how it seemed much improved over his 47% season number from last year.

Since then in the last 14 games he’s gone 24/63 for a horrendous 38% mark.

Very odd to go back and see that change about halfway through the season. Feels like it’s been a major headwind to URI in many close games.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Something odd happened with Makhels Free Throw shooting this year.

He started the season 33/45 for 73% through the first 13 games. I remember thinking to myself how it seemed much improved over his 47% season number from last year.

Very odd to go back and see that change about halfway through the season. Feels like it’s been a major headwind to URI in many close games.
Random events cluster non-randomly. You can find examples of this in the NBA, where the sample sizes are all larger. Shaq had one year that he shot 62 percent from the line - vs. 52 percent for his career - and plenty of guys have one-year, 3-point shooting seasons that are out of character with the rest of their history. That being said, Makehl's overall FT percentage is slightly better, from last year to this year, the kind of (small) improvement you'd expect a player to make year over year.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Something odd happened with Makhels Free Throw shooting this year.

Random events cluster non-randomly. You can find examples of this in the NBA, where the sample sizes are all larger. Shaq had one year that he shot 62 percent from the line - vs. 52 percent for his career - and plenty of guys have one-year, 3-point shooting seasons that are out of character with the rest of their history. That being said, Makehl's overall FT percentage is slightly better, from last year to this year, the kind of (small) improvement you'd expect a player to make year over year.
Totally get that side of it.

Do wonder though if he changed up some sort of his routine/mechanics in the off-season which help improved his numbers. As the season wore on he practiced it less and got back to old habits? Again that’s 100% conspiracy but feels logical
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Makhel's blocks this season will only trail Kenny, Hassan and ARD. There's talent there. There's also immaturity issues and lack of coaching (bringing the ball up after a rebound). There's also the issue that URI is better with only one in the game.
All that said I'd like to see what a tough love coach could do with them
4 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

If I remember correctly, Makhel started off last year terrible from the free throw line and then turned it around.

Thisnyear, I was at the Davidson game (at Davidson)and watched Makhel hit 15-18 shots one after the other in the warm ups.

Form was good and consistent and anyone watching him would never guess he would be such a bad free throw shooter.

Have no idea what the underlying cause is but can’t help to wonder if a more experienced coaching staff would have solved the issue.
0 x
ms1111
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ms1111 »

They are symbolic of what has gone wrong in the Cox era.

No discipline. Feel too often like we are watching an AAU team.
Difficult to root for (complaining to the refs, not getting up fast off the floor, celebrating a dunk down 20 points)
No improvement in fundamentals like free throws
Repeated silly mistakes and turnovers, not protecting the basketball and the importance of each posession
Why is a 7 footer bringing the ball up the floor.....

None of the above would have been tolerated under Hurley or quite frankly any coach that has a winning program.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

………didN’t Langevine become a better free throw shooter with Cox as HC……?
…….poor free throw shooting can be improved………failure of coaching……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m starting to almost want either twin to bring the ball up, shoot 3s, create from the perimeter etc because one guards sure as hell aren’t doing that good enough!

When we look back on this season, we’ll all (if we haven’t already) realize the guards were the biggest problem of the season and not the twins.
2 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I’m starting to almost want either twin to bring the ball up, shoot 3s, create from the perimeter etc because one guards sure as hell aren’t doing that good enough!

When we look back on this season, we’ll all (if we haven’t already) realize the guards were the biggest problem of the season and not the twins.
If we had the twins in 2018 we would have been a lot higher than a 7 seed.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I’m starting to almost want either twin to bring the ball up, shoot 3s, create from the perimeter etc because one guards sure as hell aren’t doing that good enough!

15, I think most of us have felt that way for a while.

Our guards by far have been the biggest disappointment.

For the most part our frontcourt held their own.
I expected much more from our backcourt.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..Bingo, Yahtzee, Game set match……and whatever the winning move is Back Gammon is……..Ish1 +Ish2 +Shep + X+Y………have been a collective disappointment…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Our frontcourt who never cedes the ball to a guard after a rebound? Takes it up the court and passes to his brother? That front court? Maybe the guards just quit due to that.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Our frontcourt who never cedes the ball to a guard after a rebound? Takes it up the court and passes to his brother? That front court? Maybe the guards just quit due to that.
Let's not exaggerate this, I actually think our frontcourt has been frustrated with the play of our guards.

They have trouble creating, finishing, and let's face it their shooting has been an ongoing issue.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Let's not exaggerate this, I actually think our frontcourt has been frustrated with the play of our guards.

They have had trouble creating, finishing, and let's face it their shooting has been an ongoing issue.
Hmm...the front court folks think the back court is the problem and the back court folks think the problem is the front court. Nice. I wonder if any of those think the coach is a factor...
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Pro tip...the seedless variety doesn't taste as good. Just sayin'...
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

They have trouble creating, finishing, and let's face it their shooting has been an ongoing issue.
Hmm...the front court folks think the back court is the problem and the back court folks think the problem is the front court. Nice. I wonder if any of those think the coach is a factor...
Well. bottom line that's who it falls on.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

If we had the twins in 2018 we would have been a lot higher than a 7 seed.
EC, Jared, Dowtin, Jarvis, Fatts, Stan, with the twins and Cyril off the bench?!

We would’ve won every game by 20+.
2 x
Go Rhody
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

In my opinion, the twins lack some of the mental discipline & fortitude it takes to help a team be great. Part of it is them & part of it is the coach. It affects the guard play as well. When two of your three starters have the wrong mentality and make the wrong decisions on the floor, it hurts team morale and the ability for guys around them to gain confidence & the ability to perform better. Didn't one of them do 2 or 3 spin moves, the other day, while dribbling the ball down the floor and then nearly fell on his butt while trying to pass it away? The point is that the attitude permeates the team. When guys aren't reigned in to some degree it becomes the inmates running the asylum and nothing but chaos comes from that.
The reason I don't put it 100% on the coach is because there are some guys like Jared Terrell, who just have a certain mentality & approach come game time that is part of who they are. They are competitors & they care if they're messing up, to the point where they're going to do what they have to do to not repeat the mistakes. They are the guys you can count on regardless of who's coaching.
Last edited by The Dude 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The Dude wrote: 2 years ago In my opinion, the twins lack some of the mental discipline & fortitude it takes to help a team be great. Part of it is them & part of it is the coach. It affects the guard play as well. When two of your three starters have the wrong mentality and make the wrong decisions on the floor, it hurts team morale and the ability for guys around them to gain confidence & the ability to perform better. Didn't one of them do 2 or 3 spin moves, the other day, while dribbling the ball down the floor and then nearly fell on his butt while trying to pass it away? The point is that the attitude permeates the team. When guys aren't reigned in to some degree it becomes the inmates running the asylum and nothing but chaos comes from that.
Inmates? Asylum? I thought these guys were "afforded protection....as part of our community"? (So confusing...who you can and can't crap all over these days)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The Dude wrote: 2 years ago In my opinion, the twins lack some of the mental discipline & fortitude it takes to help a team be great. Part of it is them & part of it is the coach. It affects the guard play as well. When two of your three starters have the wrong mentality and make the wrong decisions on the floor, it hurts team morale and the ability for guys around them to gain confidence & the ability to perform better. Didn't one of them do 2 or 3 spin moves, the other day, while dribbling the ball down the floor and then nearly fell on his butt while trying to pass it away? The point is that the attitude permeates the team. When guys aren't reigned in to some degree it becomes the inmates running the asylum and nothing but chaos comes from that.
The reason I don't put it 100% on the coach is because their are some guys like Jared Terrell, who just have a certain mentality & approach come game time that is part of who they are. They are competitors & they care if they're messing up, to the point where they're going to do what they have to do to not repeat the mistakes. They are the guys you can count on regardless of who's coaching.
Bob McNair wants to have a word with you :lol:
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I would be curious to know how many posters here would still prefer to have the twins on our roster next season.

Yes, they have shown immaturity at times, but they do have talent and are a force upfront.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I would be curious to know how many posters here would still prefer to have the twins on our roster next season.

Yes, they have shown immaturity at times, but they do have talent and are a force upfront.
I would 100% want them back. Under a coach who knows what he is doing, the twins would be an asset.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I think their raw talent would be hard to replace/upgrade overnight. Probably better off with them back (regardless of coach)

One of the announcers said it during the broadcast of the last game or two. There’s many things a coach can help a player improve, free throws really aren’t one of them. Can they help adjust simple mechanics? Of course. But it’s a monotonous action that needs to be repeated over and over and over. Not just for 20 minutes during practice. At some point it’s on the player to be in the gym early in the morning, late at night, whatever it takes.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Sure it’s on the player but, someone has to coach them on what they doing wrong. I don’t care if they r at the gym at 5 am every day, they could easily be practicing a bad habit or bad technuique or. Does this shortcoming lay on the inexperience of two of our assistants?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..improving free throws…….they need a shot doctor, a free throw guru…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

......or an exorcism
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Comparing some big men to Makhi and Makhel.
We knew they were 50% shooters at Maryland when we recruited them
Can they improve? I'd guess yes. and they probably will. Look at Hassan Martin now in Europe. A good example of career improvement.

Makhel
50-Maryland
47-Soph
53-Jr

Makhi
54-Maryland
61-Soph (Out for season after Western Kentucky injury)
52-Jr

Langevine
49-Fr
51-Soph
60-Jr
49-Sr
55-Sweden
54-Poland

Nate Watson
70-Fr
65-Soph
56-Jr