2023 Capital Budget

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

2023 Capital Budget

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Not really a whole lot of changes between the 2023 capital budget that was just released and last year's budget. Some things of note:

Looks like the 3045 Kingstown Road building renovation isn't on the table.

$17.9 million in 2023 and 2024 fiscal years to upgrade and renovate Fogarty and White Halls.

The Memorial Union renovation and addition project has gone from $63.7 million to $68.6 million.

Looks like we're putting up a $50 million bond referendum for further improvements to the Bay Campus: The Governor recommends $50.0 million for the general obligation bond referendum in November 2022 and $7.0 from private funds in FY 2027 to finance the renovation and/or replacement various outmoded and inefficient buildings, laboratories, and infrastructure at the Narragansett Bay Campus of the University of Rhode Island. Projects include the replacement of the Horn Laboratories with a modern laboratory facility and the construction of the Ocean Robotics Laboratory and the Ocean Engineering Education and Research Center.

It looks like the Upper College Road multiuse development is either off the table or the University has done all the planning and design work necessary but is not going forward with anything at this time.

You can find the full budget here: http://www.omb.ri.gov/documents/Prior%2 ... Budget.pdf

We start on page 53 of the PDF
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 Capital Budget

Not really sure what the entire difference is, construction costs haven't doubled despite what one poster here thinks, but the bond issue for the Bay Campus is included in the legislative budget and is now $100 million.

https://www.thenewportbuzz.com/rhode-is ... edit/36813

"A second ballot question will seek voter approval for $100 million in borrowing for new construction and repairs at the University of Rhode Island Narragansett Bay campus, doubling the amount proposed by the governor. While the governor initially included $12 million for construction at the Community College of Rhode Island, the committee funded that project from the capital fund instead of borrowing."

Why our projects need to continue to be funded by bond questions and a CCRI project and Dunkin Donuts fixes can just be done by the legislature I can't explain
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

From what I’ve read the Bay campus is the top priority right now.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yes. President Parlange has really taken to the "blue economy" and we have the new research vessel coming in the next couple of years
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'm hearing some very interesting rumors and am anxiously awaiting the next capital budget later this month to hear if any of it will be substantiated. Seems like President Parlange has seriously reorganized some priorities and is making the future capital budgets his own if true. Sounds like the Memorial Union and the combined health services building have been moved down the list, with housing moved up the list.

One other potential blockbuster that I'm waiting to hear more about as well. Not trying to be that secretive, it's just I'm wondering if the person that told me the info slightly misspoke and am hoping for further clarification before I put anything out there
5 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Per your post on the Meade Stadium thread, here is the link to the governor's proposed budget with URI section starting on Page 64 of the document:

https://omb.ri.gov/sites/g/files/xkgbur ... Budget.pdf
0 x