2/12 | Davidson | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/12 | Davidson | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Davidson College
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Saturday, February 12, 2022
2:00PM

Media
TV: ESPNU
Online: ESPNU
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Davidson Fan Forum

Sweet, another game preview to write. Davidson is a very good team & URI is the complete antithesis. Michigan State transfer Foster Loyer has been tearing it up for this team, averaging 16/3/3 while shooting 45/44/94 from the field. Down low the Wildcats have their enforcer Luca Brasi, excuse me, Luka Brajkovic. He has a solid array of post moves that will probably get the Mitchell twins in foul trouble & one can only assume a technical foul thrown in for good measure as well. I foresee Davidson getting easy baskets on backcuts & Rhody’s defense leaving Hyunjung Lee wide open in the corner for an easy spot up 3. Rhody averages over 4 more turnovers a game than Davidson, so that is a bit problematic. As we are all painfully aware, the Rams have now lost 6 in a row as well as lost 7 of the last 8 contests against Davidson. In their last 18 conference games dating back to last year, they are 4-14. With this being a Rhody home game, Davidson will probably only be favored by a few points. I would say this game is a trap game for Davidson, but they play Duquesne in the following game & they suck even more than we do. Davidson is too disciplined & well coached to lose this one. They will be able to force a half dozen turnovers alone on some token pressure. Davidson wins this one 70 – 62. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
20-3, 10-1 in the A-10
13-9, 7-4 in the A-10

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 50 (129)
RPI: 26 (157)
KenPom: 63 (119)
BPI: 68 (117)
Sagarin: 67 (118)

Leaders:
Points – Foster Loyer 16.0 (Jr., G)
Rebounds –Luka Brajkovic 7.1 (Sr. F)
Assists – Foster Loyer 3.5 (Jr., G) (1.8 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 7-10
H: 4-3, A: 2-5, N: 1-2
Most Recent Matchup: 1/8/22 72-68 L at Davidson
Most Recent Win Streak: 3 – Davidson
Match-up Predictor: 48.5% Chance of URI Winning
4 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/12 | Davidson | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by section(105) »

…….wear red……..bags over the head optional……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

70-62 is generous. Thanks for the write-up as usual!
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Pain (insert Apollo Creed gif)
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm more curious to see the crowd. The UMass crowd was actually shocking - but then I remembered it was UMass and a lot of their fans travel.

Davidson is a good not great team, no real star power, no real rivalry.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I'm more curious to see the crowd. The UMass crowd was actually shocking - but then I remembered it was UMass and a lot of their fans travel.

But the student sections were nowhere near full and the first 1000 got free t-shirts. I don't think there were 1000 students there. Not even the free stuff is attracting large student interest. A few games back, there were tons of students, but that was on Greek night. I think even a lot of students have thrown in the towel.
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Pain (insert Apollo Creed gif)
that would be clubber lang
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I'm more curious to see the crowd. The UMass crowd was actually shocking - but then I remembered it was UMass and a lot of their fans travel.

But the student sections were nowhere near full and the first 1000 got free t-shirts. I don't think there were 1000 students there. Not even the free stuff is attracting large student interest. A few games back, there were tons of students, but that was on Greek night. I think even a lot of students have thrown in the towel.
The UMASS attendance was 5,847, 2nd highest of the season. Only Richmond with 6,259 was higher.

Richmond was a Tuesday Night at 6:30pm
UMASS was Saturday at 2pm
Davidson will be Saturday at 2pm. Much better opponent than UMASS represents. Plus Davidson is one of the favorites to win the A10 and get the AQ Bid.

Attractive time to attend a weekend game just as UMASS was.

My guess is Davidson will have strong attendance. People still are stir crazy from having entertainment curtailed for almost 2 years. Attendance might exceed the Richmond game.

Bigger Game is Sunday afternoon 1pm at the Ryan Center as with the URI WBB Team taking on a very tough Fordham WBB Team. Game result could have a significant impact on who might garner an NCAA At-Large Bid for the A10.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Remember the days where season tickets holders got a gift?

Were supposed to get a beach towel at the Dayton game, no idea if we still are though.
2 x
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Davidson by 32
1 x
:lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 50 (129)
RPI: 26 (157)
KenPom: 63 (119)
BPI: 68 (117)
Sagarin: 67 (118)
Barttorvik: 76 (125)

SpookyDog,

Barttorvik is another ranking source you might consider with your group. Seems to be getting more attention these days.

barttorvik.com
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Remember the days where season tickets holders got a gift?

Were supposed to get a beach towel at the Dayton game, no idea if we still are though.
Too bad. Towels make great blindfolds.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We will get an early lead, squander it. Trail have a mini comeback. Have it respectable late and make zero winning plays in the last 5 minutes of the game.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Remember the days where season tickets holders got a gift?

You know what, that's a good point referencing the gifts. There are at least a decent handful of giveaways for season ticket holders throughout the season.

I also noticed that the marketing team has failed tremendously. Is it that Matt dude? AD for Fan Engagement? I've seen zero effort from a marketing standpoint for MBB on all social media channels. He isn't really a visible person either -- MARKETING requires actual MARKETING. I don't see any effort or passion. How hard is it to take an entry-level employee or student employee and develop a marketing plan? I laugh because I see Friar shit and advertisements all over the state. Is it that hard to do something, do they really not have a marketing budget? I'm not talking about Learfield, I am talking about the actual university-paid employee.

No white-out game? I haven't seen a Support our Troops game (maybe I missed that one?)

Overall, I'd give the marketing for this program a huge D minus, maybe even an F.

What the marketing team is producing is NOT NCAA D1 level.

WBB has decent marketing on IG/Facebook/Twitter. More and more people are moving to TikTok as a social media platform. It doesn't look like URI even has an account over there. Tammi also is stellar at resharing any content.

Again. Completely emBARONsing.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Marketing was always a joke in the business school when I was there. Seems nothing has changed.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Marketing was always a joke in the business school when I was there. Seems nothing has changed.

He must know someone if he can have a somewhat higher-profile job in Athletics with literally no social media presence whatsoever. Get someone in there who has a personality and proper representation of the university that the fans, staff, and students deserve. There are enough duds out there, and this dude is a definite dud at his job given the fact that URI isn't a small-time university.

Marketing does not = walking around the perimeter of the floor at the game!!!

CUT FAILURE MARKETING BAIT!

Heck, I'll pitch in and do any behind-the-scenes work for a nominal but negotiable fee. I'm certain a lot of you here have terrific ideas here too, especially since I have seen a few of you here are terrific marketers.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Wasn't there someone who did cool videos on the 'gram a few years back when we didn't suck?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Think we play them tough but lose 65-63
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Wasn't there someone who did cool videos on the 'gram a few years back when we didn't suck?
The "'gram"...wth is that??
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Wasn't there someone who did cool videos on the 'gram a few years back when we didn't suck?
Anthony Garro. He’s now at BC. He was awesome.
Our marketing has been subpar for few years now. Basic things like social media, the TV production, game day environment all could be improved easily. And for not a lot of money. It’s about ambition and creativity not cash.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Yes!! Anthony was terrific
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
Our marketing has been subpar for few years now. Basic things like social media, the TV production, game day environment all could be improved easily. And for not a lot of money. It’s about ambition and creativity not cash.

Yes! Terrific content creator.

My bottom line question is what exactly our marketing AD doing? I have no problem sending an email to Thor on this one.

I understand the role of Learfield, the role of SID, and a general understanding of knowing how to MARKET. This guy is a dud and should also go out to pasture. Bring some passion in for cripe’s sake.
1 x
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

Has anyone received any season holder gifts yet? I remember an email a while back for a game where something would be handed out but I think it was a canceled game?

Agree on Marketing - they are failing on Marketing 101 level basics. I can only guess that the person overseeing Marketing is more of an Athletics background as no one with any experience with integrated marketing planning and execution would allow the poor quality we see. And / Or they have silo’d ownership for brand, social, acquisition and retention, loyalty programs, etc. Which also points to a failure at leadership level to connect those dots.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I keep counting the games down til we get a new coach
3 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I'm going to go full contrarian on this game . The Rams come full circle from when the tide seemed to turn on the close loss at Davidson and they
avenge the road loss by beating Davidson 68-64 .
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

The UMASS attendance was 5,847, 2nd highest of the season. Only Richmond with 6,259 was higher.

Davidson will be Saturday at 2pm. Much better opponent than UMASS represents. Plus Davidson is one of the favorites to win the A10 and get the AQ Bid.

My guess is Davidson will have strong attendance. People still are stir crazy from having entertainment curtailed for almost 2 years. Attendance might exceed the Richmond game.

Bigger Game is Sunday afternoon 1pm at the Ryan Center as with the URI WBB Team taking on a very tough Fordham WBB Team. Game result could have a significant impact on who might garner an NCAA At-Large Bid for the A10.
Hi Temperature 55 on Saturday for the Davidson Game! Could boost attendance.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Sounds like a beach day to me.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I went to the beach plenty during the many months without basketball and social distancing
Looking forward to URI Hoops with 4 games in the next 5 days at the Ryan Center

Saturday URI MBB vs Davidson
Sunday URI WBB vs Fordham
Monday URI MBB vs Dayton
Wednesday URI WBB vs Dayton
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Very important game, unfortunately, to the health of our program moving forward. I don't want to label it a "must lose", but it's pretty close to that.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Yep, I ran into some people I haven’t seen in a while yesterday and one of the first things they said is we need a new coach. Even the casual fan is on the bandwagon now…lose one for the Gipper!!!

You know what would be better than booing? Cheering for the other team! Think the message would be sent.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
He went to BC in some role, then he spent time working with Oregon football, now he's back at BC as Senior Designer
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhodygirl2 wrote: 2 years ago Has anyone received any season holder gifts yet? I remember an email a while back for a game where something would be handed out but I think it was a canceled game?
Well, as you know they no longer launch the Newport Propane mini basketballs with the tiny URI logo on them and the huge NP advertisement towards the bench side of the arena anymore. So that's one gift you're not going to get.

And so far I have not seen any of the free t-shirts that have the huge Belltone hearing aid advertisement with the tiny URI logo either. Someone is dropping the ball!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodygirl2 wrote: 2 years ago Has anyone received any season holder gifts yet? I remember an email a while back for a game where something would be handed out but I think it was a canceled game?
Well, as you know they no longer launch the Newport Propane mini basketballs with the tiny URI logo on them and the huge NP advertisement towards the bench side of the arena anymore. So that's one gift you're not going to get.

And so far I have not seen any of the free t-shirts that have the huge Belltone hearing aid advertisement with the tiny URI logo either. Someone is dropping the ball!
What about RIPTA shirts???
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….what about red shirts…….?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St Louis tumbled from #1 at 49 to 61 with last nights home loss to St Bonaventure

Bonaventure moves up from 101 to 88 with last nights win at St Louis
Davidson moved to #1 at 50
Dayton is 3rd at 62
3C301160-D9BC-4408-8A93-40382F2B2355.png
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's going to be close as to whether the A10 gets one or two bids.

One of the top teams needs to get hot and then lose in the A10 final...or else it's one bid only.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We're at 129 and it should be 150+, the way we're playing.....
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Is this one of those games for Davidson that when they beat the bag out of URI they will still drop in the rankings?
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

The gift this year to season ticket holders is CUT BAIT
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Will we see Makhi get a rebound, dribble the length of the court and throw up a brick because it was his turn to shoot?
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Will we see Makhi get a rebound, dribble the length of the court and throw up a brick because it was his turn to shoot?
Is he playing today?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago St Louis tumbled from #1 at 49 to 61 with last nights home loss to St Bonaventure

Bonaventure moves up from 101 to 88 with last nights win at St Louis
Davidson moved to #1 at 50
Dayton is 3rd at 62

3C301160-D9BC-4408-8A93-40382F2B2355.png
How is our NET still that high lol?
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Does anyone know if this game is being rebroadcast on ESPNU?
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I went to the beach plenty during the many months without basketball and social distancing
Looking forward to URI Hoops with 4 games in the next 5 days at the Ryan Center

Saturday URI MBB vs Davidson
Sunday URI WBB vs Fordham
Monday URI MBB vs Dayton
Wednesday URI WBB vs Dayton
The men’s game vs Dayton is going to be a ghost town.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

No buzz in this thread

DEAD
COACH
WALKING

8 more minutes to go….
1 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Rams just came out and this place is empty.
1 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

damram wrote: 2 years ago Rams just came out and this place is empty.
Especially the student section. Can’t say I blame them.
2 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Wow boos at DC lol
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Whoa really??? As he exited tunnel?