2/8 | VCU | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/8 | VCU | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Virginia Commonwealth University
Stuart C. Siegel Center, Richmond, VA
Tuesday, February 8, 2022
7:00PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
VCU Fan Forum

After another stellar performance resulting in a loss at home to an awful UMass team, the University of Rhode Island head on the road to Richmond to play VCU. The biggest question going into this matchup Tuesday night is, which Ram fans hate David Cox more, the ones from Kingston or the ones from Richmond? For some reason VCU fan have a borderline unhealthy hatred for both our team as well as Coach Cox. Maybe it is jealousy as URI is the only team VCU has a losing record against in the A10. Or maybe it is because we are 3-0 against them in the A10 Tournament. Yeah, that would probably do it. URI’s recent history of doing well against VCU, going 9-2 over the last 11 games, won’t be enough for the Rams of Kingston to win this one. Waaaaay too many unforced turnovers for Rhody. As I stated in the UMass game thread, I have seen better team chemistry in a random pickup game at Mackal. VCU is prone to turn the ball over as well. They average 15 a game (1 more a game than we do) & they have 3 players averaging 2 or more a game. Normally I would say anything is possible when Rhody plays VCU, but not this year. VCU will probably be favored by about 8. This game could end up being like the first time Cox’s team went into the Siegel Center 3 years ago. Rhody shot 30% from the field & 18% from deep & had 20 turnovers which resulted in a 76-42 loss. That is the most lopsided loss in Coach Cox’s tenure…even worse than the losses to Obi Toppin’s Dayton squad. VCU wins this one going away, VCU 65 – URI 55. But please don’t get discouraged Ram fans, there is a silver lining to all of this. We have a new ram logo! Boom, all of our troubles are solved. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
14-7, 7-3 in the A-10
19-7, 10-4 in the A-10

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 77 (125)
RPI: 33 (154)
KenPom: 89 (114)
BPI: 80 (116)
Sagarin: 71 (113)

Leaders:
Points – Vince Williams Jr. 12.9 (Sr., F)
Rebounds – Vince Williams Jr. 6.2 (Sr., F)
Assists – Adrian Baldwin Jr 5.2 (Soph., G) (3.0 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 11-8
H: 5-2, A: 3-6, N: 3-0
Most Recent Matchup: 2/3/21 63-62 L at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – VCU
Match-up Predictor: 23.0% Chance of URI Winning
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/8 | VCU | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by ramster »

New Rams Head Logo and Beer in Seats
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

we're going to get bundled.
1 x
:lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU just beat Duquesne at home Saturday by about 9 but last week lost on their own home court to Dayton by 30 points! The got out-rebounded at home that game 40-22.

Had to be ugly with the fans with that Dayton debacle.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They will be plenty mad for this one.

As for us, just another step toward a new staff.

Have to look forward to something.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago VCU just beat Duquesne at home Saturday by about 9 but last week lost on their own home court to Dayton by 30 points! The got out-rebounded at home that game 40-22.

Had to be ugly with the fans with that Dayton debacle.
VCU was without their top player Williams (leading scorer, leading rebounder) and backup big DeLoach in their loss to Dayton.
If Williams is back, I think they win going away.
Ace should have a field day against us.

Our team is continuing to struggle, and they can't seem to get back on track.
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

I don’t get cbs sports with my cable package. I’ve been signing up for various free trials of streaming services to get the games, but not making the effort anymore this season.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm not worried. Cox is working overtime on a gameplan to stop Bones Hyland.
9 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Backroads wrote: 2 years ago I don’t get cbs sports with my cable package. I’ve been signing up for various free trials of streaming services to get the games, but not making the effort anymore this season.
Consider yourself lucky...
2 x
'No Mercy.'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago I'm not worried. Cox is working overtime on a gameplan to stop Bones Hyland.
Cox recently read about how well Mo-Alie Cox has been playing this year. I'm sure we'll be ready for him.
8 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago I'm not worried. Cox is working overtime on a gameplan to stop Bones Hyland.
Cox recently read about how well Mo-Alie Cox has been playing this year. I'm sure we'll be ready for him.
Mitchells have the height to maybe play a high cover 2 and prevent that back-of-the-endzone fade route. Feel good about our defense tonight.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Two of the worst half court offenses in the league....could be a 34-32 final
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's pretty wonderful to be in that building when we beat them.

Although I'll actually be surprised if we win I mean damn do we look dead...we are 100% a team tanking that doesn't believe in its coach right now.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Two of the worst half court offenses in the league....could be a 34-32 final
it'll be a run and gun miss fest. Actually, other than Rhody actually winning, no score will surprise me. 100-64. 34-32, 98-96. 75-63.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I hope when we get a new coach they burn those hideous uniforms.
4 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

He probably thinks they're related. No overtime needed.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago
He probably thinks they're related. No overtime needed.
You know Shaka's had this one circled on the calendar for a while.
7 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good write up of tonight’s game from a poster on the VCU Board

Has VCU's offense ever came in dead last in ANY conference we've been in?? That'd be a fun little project for someone else to figure out :lol:

This game is probably gonna look like a drunken brawl with two husky and heavily bearded men who's pants keep falling down and exposing copious amounts of butt crack all while not landing any real punches and they just end up wheezing uncontrollably and propping each other up in a vain attempt to look like they didn't make a terrible choice in fighting to begin with OR just so it looks like they didn't lose.....

Bottom of the conference team offenses ?? Check!
Two worst turnover teams in conference?? Check-a-rino!
Two worst FT shooting teams?? Ooooooh, that's a Check!
Bottom of the conference in total 3 point shots made?? Chickety Check!!
Best shot blocking teams in conference?? OK, that's a fun box to Check!
Rhody on the short list of schools we're under .500 with?? Ooof, 8-11 all time Check!

It's game day RamNation!!! Gird your loins and prepare for a plumber's crack brick fight....emphasis on the "brick" part

Go Black and Gold Rams!!!
7 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

That's some world-class mockery there. Tip my chapeau.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Good write up of tonight’s game from a poster on the VCU Board

Has VCU's offense ever came in dead last in ANY conference we've been in?? That'd be a fun little project for someone else to figure out :lol:

This game is probably gonna look like a drunken brawl with two husky and heavily bearded men who's pants keep falling down and exposing copious amounts of butt crack all while not landing any real punches and they just end up wheezing uncontrollably and propping each other up in a vain attempt to look like they didn't make a terrible choice in fighting to begin with OR just so it looks like they didn't lose.....

Rhody on the short list of schools we're under .500 with?? Ooof, 8-11 all time Check!

It's game day RamNation!!! Gird your loins and prepare for a plumber's crack brick fight....emphasis on the "brick" part

We committed 20 turnovers against the worst defensive team in the conference that sat in a mostly passive 2-3 zone for half the time.
How many TOs will we commit against a full court man trapping defense with length and quickness?
A high school score is wholly possible here...Richmond 37 Charlestown 26
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

That poster can join this board any time.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….why do I feel like they will jump out to 10+ to 0 lead, and we will be toast…….with us on one or more 5-6 minutes of no points…….maybe the bus driver shouldn’t even shut the bus off……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

Before today’s game take a listen as we’re joined by SmartyBarrett

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Good write up of tonight’s game from a poster on the VCU Board

We committed 20 turnovers against the worst defensive team in the conference that sat in a mostly passive 2-3 zone for half the time.
How many TOs will we commit against a full court man trapping defense with length and quickness?
A high school score is wholly possible here...Richmond 37 Charlestown 26
I kind of wonder if URI might play *better* against that kind of defense. I think they struggle when they're left open, or, when they have to think and execute, vs. just reacting. Given the URI history vs. VCU, but also how this season has played out so far, there isn't really an outcome that would surprise me tonight. Either team could win by 20, and I'd just shrug.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

National Rankings

Blocked Shots
  • #4 URI
  • #15 VCU

Defensive Shooting Percentage Allowed
  • #7 URI
  • #16 VCU
D7115374-F631-4866-8924-DD8FF2BACE25.jpeg
B83C643B-D8E5-45E0-A306-25CE5EF49FA3.jpeg
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 2 years ago National Rankings

Blocked Shots
  • #4 URI
  • #15 VCU

• #7 URI
  • #16 VCU

D7115374-F631-4866-8924-DD8FF2BACE25.jpegB83C643B-D8E5-45E0-A306-25CE5EF49FA3.jpeg
I don't read too much into these stats because we've literally played 2 good teams that can score the whole year.

Pretty easy to have awesome defensive metrics when you're playing a schedule that is 75% Q4 teams.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Blocked Shots
  • #4 URI
  • #15 VCU

• #7 URI
  • #16 VCU

D7115374-F631-4866-8924-DD8FF2BACE25.jpegB83C643B-D8E5-45E0-A306-25CE5EF49FA3.jpeg
I don't read too much into these stats because we've literally played 2 good teams that can score the whole year.

Pretty easy to have awesome defensive metrics when you're playing a schedule that is 75% Q4 teams.
This makes it clearer. URI is a very good defensive team, but VCU is elite defensively.

URI is a terrible offensive team but VCU is vomit inducing.

The turnover% is the key here, BAR is right - this will be a sloppy game.
Attachments
URI-VCU.jpg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blocked Shots
  • #4 URI
  • #15 VCU

• #7 URI
  • #16 VCU

So why shouldn't we have great offensive stats by your reasoning? as well as a great record?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

Blocked Shots
  • #4 URI
  • #15 VCU

• #7 URI
  • #16 VCU

This makes it clearer. URI is a very good defensive team, but VCU is elite defensively.

How much worse is a vomit inducing offensive team than a terrible offensive team? And what is worse than a vomit inducing team? Or will we find out tonight?
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

How much worse is a vomit inducing offensive team than a terrible offensive team? And what is worse than a vomit inducing team? Or will we find out tonight?
The #239 offense and the #309 offense. But at least VCU has the #2 defense to help take the stink off their offense.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blocked Shots
  • #4 URI
  • #15 VCU

• #7 URI
  • #16 VCU

So why shouldn't we have great offensive stats by your reasoning? as well as a great record?
Because putting the ball into the basket takes skill. We don't have that. Neither do the teams we've played.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Because putting the ball into the basket takes skill. We don't have that. Neither do the teams we've played.

Incredible how some people here can’t understand basic basketball.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Incredible how some people here can’t understand basic basketball.
C/S
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Vince Williams is playing.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What's your guess Billyboy? Thomas starting? I think yes and I hope yes too.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU likely starters:

Williams 6'6" Senior
Stockard III 6'8" Grad
Curry 6'4" Senior
Baldwin 6'1" Sophomore
Nunn 6'4" Freshman (we recruited)

Also
Ward 6'9" Junior (we recruited)
DeLoach 6'9" Freshman
Brown-Jones 6'8" Sophomore
Tsohonis 6'3" Junior
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago What's your guess Billyboy? Thomas starting? I think yes and I hope yes too.
I think no. I think Cox was trying to light a fire under Shep's ass for one game. Both should start this game though. But they won't.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

If VCU finds a way to lose this game...well, it would definitely be funny. Counterproductive for us, but funny.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago What's your guess Billyboy? Thomas starting? I think yes and I hope yes too.
I think no. I think Cox was trying to light a fire under Shep's ass for one game. Both should start this game though. But they won't.
He did start Thomas for the 2nd half vs UMASS. I halfway thought he might go back to Sheppard to start the 2nd half. I'm hoping Thomas is in there starting until he proves he is not the guy. Sheppard would be better served at SG with the ability to slide over to PG as needed.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Man this is super fucking shoddy of the Seigel Center that Shane can't broadcast today because they're not ADA Accessible.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

He did start Thomas for the 2nd half vs UMASS. I halfway thought he might go back to Sheppard to start the 2nd half. I'm hoping Thomas is in there starting until he proves he is not the guy. Sheppard would be better served at SG with the ability to slide over to PG as needed.
Great. So we can count on 3 pts from our PG.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Starters

Makhi
Makhel
Leggett
El-Amin
Thomas
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU starters
Baldwin
Curry
Nunn
Brown-Jones
Ward
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Great. So we can count on 3 pts from our PG.
Thomas is starting
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

C551598E-E7ED-4F65-8200-39AFE477423F.png
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Everybody ready for the shit show?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Everybody ready for the shit show?
…….yep, buckled in, tray table fastened, seat back up…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938