New Ram logo?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

New Ram logo?

Unread post by CamsRams »

Don't miss the unveiling of the new Rams Head logo design at the game. New Rams Head merchandise will be available for purchase at the RamsZone starting at 1 pm.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: New Ram logo?

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

OK, can I just say this whole thing seems weird as hell? First, how often do new logos get introduced midway through a year like this? You'd normally see something like this during the summer. Second, how was this the first hint of this? The app mentioned it this morning, but this should have been widely advertised with a countdown to the unveiling. I don't even recall hearing about this at the women's game the other night or seeing anything about this on social media.

I just really don't understand how we handle marketing or our brand
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

WTH IS THIS REAL?
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yes. The Rhody GameDay app mentioned it this morning. So your response pretty much nails the entire problem with this unveiling in a nut shell
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Do you think the outgoing Rams Head Logo will acknowledge Ram fans on the way out?
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

New logo wears a mask?
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Somebody missed the memo from BlueMan telling everybody to not show up for any more games
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago New logo wears a mask?
And holds a bottle of beer so not all is lost
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Just went to gorhody. We're unveiling a new logo today and it's not one of the top five news stories on the website and it's not mentioned in the UMass writeup that we're unveiling a new logo before the game. What the hell are we even doing????
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Raffle drawing at halftime so stay in your seats

1st prize - One Rams Head logo design item
2nd prize - Two Rams Head logo design items
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

tone deaf
great timing

bus wheels falling off, rolling down the highway, new logo painted on the old girl, perfect!
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

When we changed mascots in 08 there was a multi month marketing plan, marketing push, video shoots and a major unveiling.

This reeks of desperation and wagging the dog.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Friendly ram or fierce ram? The suspense is....yeah....
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Can we just bring back my avatar and call
It a day ?

And be careful with putting wheels and bus in future posts - it might get me into signing a certain song …

Let sleeping dogs sleep !
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Ok, so here's a basic marketing plan, from someone with no background in marketing, that would have been better than what we're seeing.

Let's start backwards, so first the unveiling. I'm not even going to get further into how weird it is we're announcing it smack dab in the middle of the academic year and the winter sports season, so I'll skip right to unveiling it in February 2022 is the only option. I don't hate it on a Saturday matinee men's basketball game, however here's a different idea. We're trying to drum up attendance for the 2/16 women's game against Dayton? How about we have the unveiling then and try to get more people in the seats? You don't want to do a weeknight, you want a weekend matinee? How about the 2/13 national girls and women in sports day? You're already doing clinics for kids in Keaney, how about a pop up shop in the lobby where you can buy all of the newest gear before you walk to the Ryan Center for the game?

Second, advertising. The second you know that you're unveiling a new logo, there should be coming soon type posts on all your social media. Literally every athletics social media page, right down to the individual teams should have something about this and ideally this would carry over to the main University pages and the bookstore, but I'm assuming I can't control them for this exercise, so I won't go further into those deficiencies. The second you know when you're unveiling, you have countdowns on all of your pages. You go to gorhody, there is no landing page announcing this and there's nothing on the homepage. THIS SHOULD BE EVERYWHERE! A countdown to the unveiling, a countdown to when you can buy the gear online with a link to buy it. For at least a week now we should have been on the edge of our seats anticipating this. A random message board post the night before a game wondering if we're adding a new logo is not in any way, shape, or form the way your fans should be finding out that you're introducing a new logo.

Seriously, as an athletic department, the brand should be everything. It's one thing completely in your control. Reverence for the logos, logos that make sense for our school and our state as the state flagship, consistent fonts and colors. We do everything haphazardly, and we can't even bother to do the most basic advertising for something as big as what I can only assume is a new primary logo going forward, yet because athletics hasn't been able to be bothered doing any real announcement for this, who knows how much this will be actually used. Is this a new primary logo? Is this a secondary logo like the anchor? Is this something we see only on rare occasions or something that's going to be on everything everywhere?

I absolutely love this athletic department and University, so it pisses me off how much they make me want to scream what are we doing over and over again in my best Taylor Twellman voice
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

This is what I have been saying for years

Consistent font across all sports and school apparel

This isn’t rocket science my goodness
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

You would think a university that has a good business school, could maybe listen to their marketing arm when it comes to the proper ways of promoting such things?
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Speaking of Taylor Twellman...

The loss to Canada on Sunday made me look at the standings.
With all 3 games left against the teams right behind us, and 2 of them on the road...

It's doubtful we get points against Mexico, but we better not freakin lose to Panama!

Fifth place is not out of the question again.

smh
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Mexico is not playing well, they've been lucky their last 2 games....we should get a point at least.

Panama won't be easy, for sure.

Hey, at least the USMNT is guaranteed a berth in the next World Cup in 2026, since it will be played here!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The new logo contains the phrase....'Think average. We definitely do!'
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have an average team with a lousy coach.

Great combination.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago You would think a university that has a good business school, could maybe listen to their marketing arm when it comes to the proper ways of promoting such things?
We have a great communications and marketing school too.

But I knew how backwards we were when we paid millions for a company to come and rebrand us to the “think big, we do” punchline that we have now.

Instead, we could have created a year-long 400-level marketing course for select, adept seniors looking to put a campaign together for their impending leap into the job market.

They could’ve put together and rolled out a much better campaign than we had, got great experience that could go with them, and the University would’ve literally been paid via tuition to rebrand instead of paying out of pocket.

But that was too forward thinking even then. So this is incredibly on-brand for URI.

(See what I did there?😉)
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Just came on here to say all the things you've all said already. This is ridiculous.
1 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Does anyone know the buyout for this ram and also before we pull the plug on him what does his recruiting class look like. Also, did anyone look into the disgraced Ram at Colorado State. Prior to an incident that he had with a member of the cheerleading staff, he was a top ten mascot. Maybe we could get him for a discount.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
Wait…the logo they’re saying is changing is the logo they already changed a decade ago. I haven’t seen that Ram logo on ANYTHING.

The interlocking RI at center court is everywhere.

That or Ram horns.

If anything bringing that retro logo back would fire people up.

Like…does everything associated with our Alma Mater have to suck so bad??
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That's why in my longer post outlining how this should have been rolled out I kept putting "a new" instead of "the new". I'm sure the interlocking RI aren't going away. I guess time will tell how much the new logo will be used. At least one of the social media accounts got around to advertising this
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I will say, I've been begging to see a second logo to compliment the RI for years as most schools have. I also like that they're incorporating the RAM again. I do agree it's weird how this is announced, but maybe we will be pleasantly surprised?

side note: Obviously the interlocked RI isn't new, and has been around for half a century at least, but became the main logo again recently.
2 x
GO RAMS
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

One thing is for sure, this board will hate it.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

It better not be a lion again
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

First of all, amateurism on an embarrassing level here.

Second of all, whatever they’re about to “unveil” is going to be nowhere as good-looking as the last ram head that they scrapped a decade ago. They should have just started using that again without making a big deal about it and pretended it never went away.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Anyone want to do over/unders on how long after the official in person unveiling at 1 pm it takes for them to post the new logo online and when you can buy items with the new logo through the bookstore? Bookstore doesn't open until 10 am Monday, so I'm guessing no online orders for the new merchandise before noon
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Anyone want to do over/unders on how long after the official in person unveiling at 1 pm it takes for them to post the new logo online and when you can buy items with the new logo through the bookstore? Bookstore doesn't open until 10 am Monday, so I'm guessing no online orders for the new merchandise before noon
This board will have certified how badly it sucks before you'll be able to buy anything.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Anyone want to do over/unders on how long after the official in person unveiling at 1 pm it takes for them to post the new logo online and when you can buy items with the new logo through the bookstore? Bookstore doesn't open until 10 am Monday, so I'm guessing no online orders for the new merchandise before noon
I thought I read somewhere you’ll be able to buy gear with the ne w logo in the store at todays game.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
I thought I read somewhere you’ll be able to buy gear with the ne w logo in the store at todays game.
Yes, I did see that about in person. Wondering how long it will take to get online
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Shockingly gorhody.com updated their landing page to a link in the bookstore that has items with the new logo. Here's a direct link to the bookstore section with the new logo.

https://ramszone.uri.edu/merchlist?ID=3 ... Xldwqj-Npg
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Boy looks like they screwed this up too.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

A86A21F5-D4A2-48FC-9F06-9CF686925144.png
This is garbage hot dog water.

With my siblings and wife at the moment. 4 alums. Immediate stifling of vomit.

This is literally a trash video game logo if you were creating a team. It’s clip art. TRASH.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Shockingly gorhody.com updated their landing page to a link in the bookstore that has items with the new logo. Here's a direct link to the bookstore section with the new logo.

https://ramszone.uri.edu/merchlist?ID=3 ... Xldwqj-Npg
I can tell you right now no one here likes the new logo
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I got a GREAT idea for a new logo that epitomizes, embodies and encapsulates the pride of these historic Cox Years.

Wait for it...

Wait for it ...

Wait for it ...

3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

So unnecessary!

We don't give a shit that we're the Rams!

We call ourselves Rhody! And Rhode Island! Rams is just kind of there.

The two toned blue interlocking RI is PERFECT.

Strong simple and unique with the two shades of blue. This new bs rec league ram logo will never come close to being favored over the interlocking RI.

Then you got this bs madden created team logo vs the old ram logo.

The old ram logo is at least incredibly unique!

This is generic BS

How can anyone think this is okay!?!?
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

BTW just posted something similar on the rhodymbb IG account. They'll probably pull my season ticket now. 🙏
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I have to say, I like it. I was never as fond of the last ram logo as a lot of people seemed, it felt stodgy and boring, with no details. This new logo has more detail and I like that it's head on and gives the impression of charging at the person looking at the logo which is the type of action you'd like to see in an athletics logo. I'm not a fan of the gray for the horns and think they'd look better as Keaney blue (seriously, our new logo has more gray than Keaney blue, what are our official colors again? And if you need an accent color, use gold like our official University colors instead of gray that has nothing to do with us in any way, shape, or form). I would probably make the entire face white instead of multi-color like currently, use Keaney blue everywhere you see gray, and use gold as accent colors around the eyes and maybe the snout or to differentiate the ridges in the horns. Also, one of the first thoughts I had about it, and someone else unprompted said something similar, but it looks older rather than newer somehow. I wonder if it's some kind of call back for me to the logo that was above the student section in Keaney:

https://ballparks.smugmug.com/Universit ... -gkPqxFq/A

Interestingly, it also appears from the merchandise we have a new font. Maybe the font looks old-timey and that's what's making us feel this way about the logo looking older rather than newer?

Now the interesting questions. How much will this logo be used? Is this replacing the interlocking RI in athletics, going to be used interchangeably with the interlocking RI, or used as a secondary logo the way we're using the anchor now? And can we read into it that none of the items on the bookstore page come from adidas
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago So unnecessary!

We don't give a shit that we're the Rams!

We call ourselves Rhody! And Rhode Island! Rams is just kind of there.

The two toned blue interlocking RI is PERFECT.

Strong simple and unique with the two shades of blue. This new bs rec league ram logo will never come close to being favored over the interlocking RI.

Then you got this bs madden created team logo vs the old ram logo.

The old ram logo is at least incredibly unique!

This is generic BS

How can anyone think this is okay!?!?
We don't give a shit that we're the Rams? That's kind of a new one for me, can't say I've heard that before.

Unique doesn't equal good. Personally I always felt that old logo was pretty poor. It lacked detail and looked amateur hour.

I will say one issue you run into with a common mascot like Rams is it's really tough to come up with a logo that is different and also good. I actually feel they did well all things considered
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago I have to say, I like it. I was never as fond of the last ram logo as a lot of people seemed, it felt stodgy and boring, with no details. This new logo has more detail and I like that it's head on and gives the impression of charging at the person looking at the logo which is the type of action you'd like to see in an athletics logo. I'm not a fan of the gray for the horns and think they'd look better as Keaney blue (seriously, our new logo has more gray than Keaney blue, what are our official colors again? And if you need an accent color, use gold like our official University colors instead of gray that has nothing to do with us in any way, shape, or form). I would probably make the entire face white instead of multi-color like currently, use Keaney blue everywhere you see gray, and use gold as accent colors around the eyes and maybe the snout or to differentiate the ridges in the horns. Also, one of the first thoughts I had about it, and someone else unprompted said something similar, but it looks older rather than newer somehow. I wonder if it's some kind of call back for me to the logo that was above the student section in Keaney:

https://ballparks.smugmug.com/Universit ... -gkPqxFq/A

Interestingly, it also appears from the merchandise we have a new font. Maybe the font looks old-timey and that's what's making us feel this way about the logo looking older rather than newer?

Now the interesting questions. How much will this logo be used? Is this replacing the interlocking RI in athletics, going to be used interchangeably with the interlocking RI, or used as a secondary logo the way we're using the anchor now? And can we read into it that none of the items on the bookstore page come from adidas
The old Ram is 100 times more impressive than this new one. It's completely unique. Doesn't look like any other ram logo.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this Ram before. It looks the same as like every other Ram logo ever. It SUUUUCKS.

If they replace the interlocking RI with this we should all protest. Seriously protest.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

They just sent out an email about it. There is a new font as well. https://gorhody.com/documents/2022/2/5/ ... _Guide.pdf

I'd love to see an alternate uniform that uses that anchor tertiary logo in place of the name on the front.

As for the new ram logo, its fine. I don't hate it, but it's not amazing either. Only so much you can do with a ram I guess.
Rhode Island Athletics Unveils New Rams Head Secondary Logo

Rhode Island Athletics revealed its updated secondary logo Saturday, introducing a new look to the brand. It is a culmination of an eight-month process to bring the new Rams Head logo to life, along with the creation of a new font and comprehensive brand guide.

"In many ways, the last several years we have operated with the monograph RI as our single brand identifier. We wanted to pump some life and attitude into our brand through a revitalized Rams Head," says Matt Moeller, Associate Athletics Director of Marketing.

The logo was designed by Summit Athletic Media, a full-service creative agency specializing in sports marketing and design, in collaboration with the Athletics Department, URI Licensing Department, and Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC).

"Overall, the new Rams Head logo is more modernized, with a straight-on aggressive stare and intimidating eyes," Moeller says. "It not only enhances our brand by introducing a new brand identifier, but also creates consistency within our brand by complimenting the split RI’s characteristics.”

The new Rams Head secondary logo is being released exclusively now through the University of Rhode Island Bookstore and RamsZone. Additional merchandise with the new Rams Head logo will be introduced later this spring and summer to all approved retailers, as the previous version of the Rams Head logo is phased out.

As part of the project, Rhode Island’s primary logo, the split RI monogram, was updated to offer a true divided look featuring keaney blue and navy, along with a thicker white stroke.

Research feedback had uncovered inconsistencies in how the primary athletic logos were utilized in merchandising, in the media and within our own team apparel. In many instances, royal blue was utilized instead of navy, and the split was featured in various ways. The new logos, font, and brand guide will help ensure consistency and recognition of the brand moving forward.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I see our “alternate jerseys” are really here to stay
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I see our “alternate jerseys” are really here to stay
The strange part about it to me...they clearly had this new secondary logo coming out, so why not make the alternate jersey incorporate that somehow and reveal them with the new logo? So many head scratching decisions.
Last edited by adam914 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

black and silver ?

that 2ndary blackhawk font

barf city
0 x