2/5 | UMass | 2:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/5 | UMass | 2:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of Massachusetts
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Saturday, February 5, 2022
2:00PM

Media
TV: YurView
Online: ESPN+
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
UMass Fan Forum

We stink but UMass may stink even more. When these two teams squared off in Amherst 3 weeks ago, believe it not, Rhody looked like a solid squad that was poised to possibly do some damage in a down A10. Rhody played a complete game, one of the few on the season as the Rams looked good on both offense & defense in that game. Since then…well, not so much. Calling us a dumpster fire would be disrespectful to all the dumpster fires around the world. The “good” news about this game is that Minutemen’s defense has been so poor that playing this team may help Rhody’s guards get out of their shooting slump. Well, in theory this will happen. Another thing in Rhody’s favor for this game is that Noah Fernandes’ has been out with a concussion & missed the last 2 games. This game for Rhode Island will probably be their only chance of picking up a victory as they have 3 tough games after that. And one final note, God bless JV trying to get the fans pumped up on Saturday afternoon after how this team has played of late. Good luck! URI will probably be favored by about 5 & I foolishly think they win this…especially if Fernandes is still out. URI 69 – Umass 65. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
9-11, 2-6 in the A-10
8-7, 6-4 in the A-10

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 183 (119)
RPI: 173 (139)
KenPom: 187 (107)
BPI: 193 (108)
Sagarin: 166 (105)

Leaders:
Points – Noah Fernandes 16.0 (Jr., G)
Rebounds – Trent Buttrick 5.6 (Sr., F)
Assists – Noah Fernandes 5.2 (Jr., G) (2.3 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 68-91
H: 41-32, A: 27-54, N: 0-5
Most Recent Matchup: 1/15/21 81-68 W at UMass
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 81.4% Chance of URI Winning
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/5 | UMass | 2:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Yeah, not sure of Fernandez status for the game.
But TJ Kelly who missed the last game with us will be playing, he is averaging about 12 pts.

Very little excitement currently surrounding this program, especially for this game.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I am feeling like a fan of a professional team that should tank to get a better draft pick. Wanting the team to win but knowing that for the long term it would be better if they lose.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago I am feeling like a fan of a professional team that should tank to get a better draft pick. Wanting the team to win but knowing that for the long term it would be better if they lose.
Why is this in the UMass thread?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago I am feeling like a fan of a professional team that should tank to get a better draft pick. Wanting the team to win but knowing that for the long term it would be better if they lose.
I think that's the way a lot of us feel.

It sucks, but hopefully it will be worth it soon.
4 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Because that's my feeling about the game...where would you like it?
Last edited by RIFan 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago
Becuase that's my feeling about the game...where would you like it?
Okay fair enough, at first, I wasn't sure what you were getting at.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago

Becuase that's my feeling about the game...where would you like it?
Okay fair enough, at first, I wasn't sure what you were getting at.
We suck and our coach must be fired at season's end. That should clear things up for you. 🤓
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

And God bless Spookydog for summoning up the energy and wit to write these entertaining previews of our Ryan Center Death March.
14 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago And God bless Spookydog for summoning up the energy and wit to write these entertaining previews of our Ryan Center Death March.
I was JUST thinking the exact same thing. It seems like sometimes writing those could be a great time...and at others...warrant hazard pay. Like now. Keep up the good work and the good fight spookydog.
6 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

ZooMass by 3

I'm hoping to save us from embarrassment, again, and have the game cancelled due to the ice over
1 x
:lol:
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago ZooMass by 3

I'm hoping to save us from embarrassment, again, and have the game cancelled due to the ice over
UMass would use sled dogs to travel here for a chance to play us right now. You know they won't request to cancel.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

This game is irrelevant on so many levels to both programs but the only intrigue I have is that both URI & UMass could be targeting the same coaches as replacements for next year. I think McCalls contract runs through 2023, but he clearly is not the answer at UMass so if they have funds for a buyout we could be looking at the same candidates.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

That’s the more important game…between AD’s.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago This game is irrelevant on so many levels to both programs but the only intrigue I have is that both URI & UMass could be targeting the same coaches as replacements for next year. I think McCalls contract runs through 2023, but he clearly is not the answer at UMass so if they have funds for a buyout we could be looking at the same candidates.
Maybe we could swap one for one?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s my feeling also , it is what it is but it’s for the best
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Who is going to guard Tres Mitchell? We should double team him on every tough he gets.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago
That’s my feeling also, it is what it is but it’s for the best
Well, I just can't bring myself to ever root against the team.
I will be with them till the end.

Since the decision is out of my hands, I refuse to let myself get consumed by it.
1 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

I’m out on this game, not using my season tickets. Going ice fishing instead in 10 degree weather. That’s how bad this is….
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago I’m out on this game, not using my season tickets. Going ice fishing instead in 10 degree weather. That’s how bad this is….
Ice fishing in 10 degree weather > ice fishing in 50 degree weather
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I went ice fishing the other day....caught 200 lbs. of ice...brought it home and my wife cooked it.....she drowned......
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Since the decision is out of my hands, I refuse to let myself get consumed by it.
I hear you 77 and I respect it even if I may disagree
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Obviously, I am not pleased about things, but I won't root against our players.

Like I said once the season plays out, I trust Thorr's decision.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Think of it as not rooting against the team.

You’re rooting for the program. To survive and get good again.

The writing is on the wall about the capabilities and ceiling of the current coach.

If Rhody wins games he will be back and we will continue to underachieve, post a weak SOS, get some wins, and stay in purgatory.

Think about this year and the “plan” with a dogshit OOC and a young team, what’s next years excuse? What tough opponents do we have lined up? What preseason tourneys?

Do you think everyone is going to stick around? I’d bet you lose the Mitchell’s, samb, and Berry at a minimum. Does that mean next year becomes a rebuild and we start the excuse train again?

We have to stop the cycle and the only chance is piling up losses the end of this year.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 posts from the umass game day thread.

Big game today! Trying to avoid playing Wednesday in the A10 Tournament. The bottom 4 bye instead of trying for the Top 4 bye :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yikes. We're 20 hours away from our next game and no one is talking about it yet. But I'm not too surprised based on how this season's going. Anyway...

UM at Rhody tomorrow
Game #160 in the all-time series
ESPN+ has it, no real TV
2:00 PM start

Reports yesterday say Noah is available and will play, but one other guy who McCall could not name (presumably HIPPA) is out with COVID. Hopefully everyone else masks up and stays safe.

Rhody stumbled in their last one, at Fordham on Wednesday, 61-55
https://gorhody.com/news/2022/2/2/mens- ... rdham.aspx

UMass notes: https://umassathletics.com/news/2022/2/ ... sland.aspx
Rhody notes: https://gorhody.com/news/2022/2/4/mens- ... urday.aspx

Rhody is 3-5 and we're 2-6. As lame as it is, this one's actually kind of important in the race to avoid playing on Wednesday in the A-10 Tournament.

capezona
Hall of Fame
Re: Game 21, 2021-22: at Rhode Island (2/5)
Post Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:13 pm

Naw, we're all too busy replacing McCall and figuring out Tre's future.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Heard Cox is worried about some guy named Erving.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Heard Cox is worried about some guy named Erving.
Anytime you go up against Coach Cal, you gotta be ready.
6 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

The writing is on the wall about the capabilities and ceiling of the current coach.

If Rhody wins games he will be back and we will continue to underachieve, post a weak SOS, get some wins, and stay in purgatory.

Think about this year and the “plan” with a dogshit OOC and a young team, what’s next years excuse? What tough opponents do we have lined up? What preseason tourneys?

Do you think everyone is going to stick around? I’d bet you lose the Mitchell’s, samb, and Berry at a minimum. Does that mean next year becomes a rebuild and we start the excuse train again?

We have to stop the cycle and the only chance is piling up losses the end of this year.
I don't think Thorr will allow us to stay in purgatory.

Also, as I said before the season Thorr would need to see the program moving in a positive direction.
Currently, can't say that is happening, if anything going the other way.

At this point, Cox will need to move the needle now and maintain it, if he doesn't, he will seal his own fate.
Wins against Milw, Sacred Heart, AIU, a depleted Georgia State team, and the bottom feeders of the A10 isn't going to cut it, especially those terrible losses.

Again, based on our play and if we see another mass exit, including our core players, doubtful he will survive that either.

Thorr is very in-tune with what is going on, that is why I will trust his decision.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting pregame write up for the UMASS game today

Carey and Thomas highlighted.

CAREY DELIVERS SEASON-HIGH IN POINTS
Guard Jalen Carey had a season-high 12 points off the bench in Wednesday's game at Fordham.
It matched his highest point total in two seasons with Rhode Island, as he also had 12 against South Florida last season.
Against Fordham, Carey was 5-11 from the field while also dishing out a season-high three assists.
Since the start of Atlantic 10 play, Carey is averaging 6.3 points off the bench while shooting .447 from the field, .500 from 3-point range and .769 at the free throw line.
He has made one 3-point shot in five consecutive games and in eight of his last 10 games, going 8-for-14 overall.
In his first 54 career games between Syracuse and URI, Carey had four 3-pointers (4-of-30).

THOMAS FINDS THE MARK FROM 3-POINT RANGE

Freshman point guard Sebastian Thomas broke out at Fordham Wednesday night, scoring a career-high nine points.
All of his points came on 3-point shots, as he was 3-for-4 from long range, all of which came in the second half.
Entering the game, Thomas had been 3-for-19 from the perimeter.
Thomas is second in the Atlantic 10 in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.87-1), behind only Richmond's Jacob Gilyard (3.59-1).
Since the start of January, Thomas has 26 assists and just six turnovers in nine games.
For the season, Thomas has 43 assists with 15 turnovers.
Thomas is second on the team in assists trailing only starting guard Jeremy Sheppard (56).
Despite being eighth in total playing time, Thomas has a plus-minus of +3.60 per game, which ranks third on the team.

https://gorhody.com/news/2022/2/4/mens- ... urday.aspx
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Also, as I said before the season Thorr would need to see the program moving in a positive direction.

At this point, Cox will need to move the needle now and maintain it, if he doesn't, he will seal his own fate.
Wins against Milw, Sacred Heart, AIU, a depleted Georgia State team, and the bottom feeders of the A10 isn't going to cut it, especially those terrible losses.

Again, based on our play and if we see another mass exit, including our core players, doubtful he will survive that either.

Thorr is very in-tune with what is going on, that is why I will trust his decision.
Again. It’s not all up to Thorr. He doesn’t control what he’s given in the budget. He’ll need approvals and funding from the foundation and ultimately the president.

If Cox has a winning record, I would bet he will be back.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I went ice fishing the other day....caught 200 lbs. of ice...brought it home and my wife cooked it.....she drowned......
…….and the down side of that trip and results was what ?……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Again. It’s not all up to Thorr. He doesn’t control what he’s given in the budget. He’ll need approvals and funding from the foundation and ultimately the president.

We know it is not totally up to Thorr, although his recommendation will be highly regarded.
Doubtful a new president will go against the wishes of one of the most respected AD's in the A10.

If he chooses to move on from Cox, the money will be there, regardless of how we finish.

If the finances aren't there, what difference does it make what our final record is.
This would be a moot point anyway because they would need substantial financial backing to attract any top candidates.
Plus, a guarantee for program enhancements which were discussed many times on this board.

If they decide to settle for just an average hire, then you are back to square one.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

We know it is not totally up to Thorr, although his recommendation will be highly regarded.
Doubtful a new president will go against the wishes of one of the most respected AD's in the A10.

If he chooses to move on from Cox, the money will be there, regardless of how we finish.

If the finances aren't there, what difference does it make what our final record is.
This would be a moot point anyway because they would need substantial financial backing to attract any top candidates.
Plus, a guarantee for program enhancements which were discussed many times on this board.

If they decide to settle for just an average hire, then you are back to square one.
Funding for this program always comes available at the extremes.

Extremely good? Ryan Center. Hurley’s 11th hour extension.

Extremely bad? Buy outs.

In the middle? We keep it steady.

A winning record against garbage teams puts us in the middle.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I can see Blue Man outside the Doors today blocking Jersey77 from entering the Ryan Center
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago I can see Blue Man outside the Doors today blocking Jersey77 from entering the Ryan Center
Shit, between this and the new logo now I want to go to the game!
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago I can see Blue Man outside the Doors today blocking Jersey77 from entering the Ryan Center
NYGiants 208 would be there to make sure Blue Man and Jersey 77 keep their masks on during the wrestling to get in the door, he only lives a couple of miles away.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Funding for this program always comes available at the extremes.

Extremely good? Ryan Center. Hurley’s 11th hour extension.

Extremely bad? Buy outs.

In the middle? We keep it steady.

A winning record against garbage teams puts us in the middle.
If they are willing to just settle at mediocre, what makes you think they will do what is necessary to attract a top candidate?
If mediocre is just okay with them, then this whole discussion is moot, and they wouldn't be willing to ante up anyway.

Thorr's recommendation will be play a major part into what happens.
I really doubt that a couple of extra meaningless wins here and there will make a difference in his mind.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….I have said before here…….if Cox stays I want Thorr to define what the “bar” is……..if Cox leaves I want Thorr to define what the “bar” is……..todays game could tell us a lot……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

They should bring out those cardboard cut outs of people they used last season with no fans and put them in the empty seats today to make it look fuller for TV
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….I have said before here…….if Cox stays I want Thorr to define what the “bar” is……..if Cox leaves I want Thorr to define what the “bar” is……..todays game could tell us a lot……
Define “lot”
0 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

No way Cox stays even if money is an issue unless he wins the A-10, which is highly highly unlikely. The program has no positive momentum and we have underachieved every season. We don’t talk about how the 2nd season was a massive underachievement, and we were on the outside looking in.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The "bar" is too high, given the level this program is at.

It's really hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Either seriously increase funding, or mediocrity is our lot.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
NYGiants 208 would be there to make sure Blue Man and Jersey 77 keep their masks on during the wrestling to get in the door, he only lives a couple of miles away.
That is funny, but unfortunately, I can't make the trip up to RI for the game.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That is funny, but unfortunately, I can't make the trip up to RI for the game.
And I could, but I'm not...just so as to avoid such skirmishes ;)
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Sadly, I’d have to care enough to put in the effort. I don’t lol.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Let's see we played 20 minutes vs Richmond and 20 minutes (one could say only 10 minutes) vs Fordham. Any chance we can play 35-40 minutes today?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….I have said before here…….if Cox stays I want Thorr to define what the “bar” is……..if Cox leaves I want Thorr to define what the “bar” is……..todays game could tell us a lot……
Define “lot”
…….more than a little……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Well Carey is out injured today so Cox won’t have to worry about starting him/ giving him more minutes
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x