Tammi Reiss

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Tammi Reiss

Unread post by PeteRI »

Why can't we get a coach like her?
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Tammi Reiss

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Seriously- she is that great of a coach and leader she inspires me to be better. I kid you not. Her charisma and transparency are rarities these days. She’s a fantastic person and I need to get myself over there to support her and the team. She has built a program!
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

What a difference.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Can she coach the men's team too?
8 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Following our mens and women’s teams over the last, say, 12 or 13 years would absolutely crystallize for anyone how significant the coach is in college sports. It’s basically the whole thing. Obviously there are hundreds of other examples across college sports and I think on some level everyone gets it, but the fortunes and trajectories of our programs really tells the story in a way that makes it super clear for me.

And yes, at the end of the day it’s the players who actually go out and play the games and the good coaches will be the first to tell you that. But the players follow the coaches - first to the school, and then thru the program in terms of development, culture, all of that stuff that goes into building a program. Honestly, I think the players should get paid because it’s their labor that produces the revenue, but viewed thru this lens it isn’t hard to understand why college coaches get the salaries that they do. They’re just so freaking valuable.

I hope we can find a way to hold onto Tammi for a while because in the women’s basketball landscape I see no reason why she can’t make URI into a legitimate power.
10 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Especially in the A10. It’s always been a coaches league. There is no pedigree or built in advantage to being a mid major. Almost every program that reached its high water mark did it due to a phenomenal coach. Look what a coach did to a 3,000 person school in Spokane no one had even heard of 20 years ago.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

What a difference.

A bit of background. Earlier this week Tammy posted this talk with her team. Subject was the NET and how important Efficiency is to the NET calculation. I think this is why she called the Time Out.

URI is in a 4 team race for NCAA Bid consideration to be among the 68 teams to be invited (increased from 64 to 68 teams this year) so the NET is crucial the next 6 weeks.

I get the accountability reference, but WBB is in a different place than MBB this season.

2 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Great comments regarding Tammi and the team. What makes her even more special took place when the team experienced a bad three game stretch where they could have and should have one all three, She made lineup adjustments that quickly put the team on track. The only negative to this season has been that no one, except friends, family and a few loyal fans come to the games. Three big games coming up. VCU, Sunday at noon, Fordham, Sunday February 13th at 1pm and Dayton, Wednesday February 16th at 6pm. Winning these three games and taking care of business against the lower rated teams in the conference could go a long way to securing an at large NCAA bid. So come out and support the team.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

What a difference.

A bit of background. Earlier this week Tammy posted this talk with her team. Subject was the NET and how important Efficiency is to the NET calculation. I think this is why she called the Time Out.

URI is in a 4 team race for NCAA Bid consideration to be among the 68 teams to be invited (increased from 64 to 68 teams this year) so the NET is crucial the next 6 weeks.

I get the accountability reference, but WBB is in a different place than MBB this season.

JFC coach the men's team too.

But the difference - whether it be accountability or just understanding the NET, is that there is a clear "bar" established for the women's team.

The expectation is conference championship and NCAA. But she goes beyond the "expectation" and follows through with a detailed commitment to that.

She has a clear vision in terms of what's acceptable and what's not. And recognizing how NET works, and the importance of beating the life out of teams and not just coasting with a lead - is amazing.

Thorr nailed this hire. If we can INVEST in our basketball programs and keep her, URI might actually have a chance to become a WBB power.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Is she here for the long haul or will we "Hurley" it and lose her?
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

"Game day is a chance to compete, have fun, and maybe pull out a win. "

Coach Cox's message to his team. Pretty much the same, no? 🤓
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Is she here for the long haul or will we "Hurley" it and lose her?
Not sure how it works in the women’s game as opposed to the men’s but if the rest of the country is noticing then a P6 could come offer lots of money
1 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Is she here for the long haul or will we "Hurley" it and lose her?
Very fair question but before you ask it, come out to the game, show support and make some noise. There are people who foresaw this and stepped up big time $$ prior to the season. Those that know her believe she is truly happy here and is committed to getting us to to the NCAA tournament and beyond.
4 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 2 years ago
Very fair question but before you ask it, come out to the game, show support and make some noise. There are people who foresaw this and stepped up big time $$ prior to the season. Those that know her believe she is truly happy here and is committed to getting us to to the NCAA tournament and beyond.
Went to a game pre- pandemic. Sat next to her family- great people. Plan on going on Sunday - assuming game will be played.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

………Koch has article on the need to extend Tammi, and some thoughts on funding such things being on Thorr’s plate…….
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Tammi did get the women's team a $150k donation last season's giving cycle.

She's got the energy to actually build something.

I can't say I've ever really "cared" about women's hoops, but if something at URI has a chance to be nationally relevant I'm all about it. We should do everything in our power to keep that up.
7 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We're up to 1049 as the average attendance at women's games, good for second in the A10 and an increase from 636 in 2019-20

Dayton 1525 average attendance 6-0 T1 49 net
UMass 815 3-3 T5 52
George Mason 798 0-6 T13 256
Duquesne 622 3-4 T9 174
Richmond 569 3-4 T9 131
Davidson 555 3-3 T5 112
St. Louis 503 2-2 T5 164
St. Joe's 482 2-3 11 168
VCU 413 3-3 T5 93
La Salle 319 4-2 4 152
Fordham 290 5-2 3 55
St. Bonaventure 211 2-5 12 254
George Washington 167 0-5 T13 241
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

We should all go pack the Ryan center and support the women's team.
5 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Surfri72 wrote: 2 years ago We should all go pack the Ryan center and support the women's team.
In Atlantic-10 women’s basketball, Dayton (7-0) and URI (6-0) stand atop the league as the only teams undefeated in conference play.

The URI Women’s basketball team is scheduled to host Dayton in the Ryan Center on Wednesday 16-Feb-2022 at 6:00pm.

Thorr and his minions in the Athletic Department need to step up and energize the greater URI community to show up in support of Tammi’s team in this pivotal game.

Go Rhody
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Someone posted it in the women's bb thread but Rhody has been steadily improving their attendance (relative to the sport/historically), and sits at 1049 per game, which is 2nd in the A-10 behind Dayton who gets ~1500 a game.

Not bad considering I don't ever remember seeing a reported crowd larger than 500.

If both of those teams can take care of business between now and then, it could be a top 25 matchup for the first time ever.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The 1049 number is deceiving because it includes the Nov. 11 doubleheader attendance of 5455 - MBB vs. Bryant and the women's game against Merrimack. Otherwise women's game attendance has shown only a very slight increase over the last few games topping 500, but it is still disappointing given the team's performance. Maybe future games will show a bigger showing and the Dayton game may catalyze that interest.
3 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

While everyone frets over the Cox situation, Coach Reiss is the coach Thorr should be focused on retaining. She's a UVA grad; they're currently dead last in the ACC and are assuredly going to be looking for someone to return them to greatness.
6 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Obviously it's going to be tough to keep Tammi if she wants to go back to Virginia, we can't compete with the alumni ties she has, but their compensation package isn't much better than what we're already paying her. Virginia is paying their current coach $325,000 annually in base pay and $325,000 annually in other compensation. We're paying Tammi $300,000 per year, I'm not sure what other compensation we offer outside of base pay. I think as much, or more than salary, we're going to need to show a commitment from fans to get behind the program and go to games. Virginia is averaging 1591 fans per game for a last place program, we're averaging 1049 for a first place program, but as Obadiah points out, most of that comes from the doubleheader from men's basketball. Outside of that game the best attended women's game was 570 people at the BU game 12/19. I think it is absolutely imperative that we finish this year better for attendance, and with how bad the men's program is there's every reason to skip the men's games and go to the women's four remaining games.

Wednesday vs Saint Louis (10th place, 165 Net) 6 pm
Sunday 2/13 vs Fordham (3rd place, 60 Net) 1 pm (I wouldn't hate them making tip off time earlier with the Super Bowl later)
Wednesday 2/16 vs Dayton (tied for 1st place, 49 Net) 6 pm
Wednesday 2/23 vs St. Bonaventure (12th place, 247 Net) 6pm

Obviously those middle two games are huge and it would be great to give the women some kind of home court advantage
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If there isn’t any other comp in Tammi’s base then there is a pretty big difference between 300k and 650k.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

If someone can post a link to WBB tickets that would be great.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago If someone can post a link to WBB tickets that would be great.
https://gorhody.com/sports/2020/6/9/tic ... index.aspx
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago Well here is the Thorr Bjorn Podcast

Topics Covered

How asst. AD initiated the hiring of Tammy Reiss
Worked in ticket department of UMass during Calipari era including a number one ranking and final four appearance
Trying to contain the crowd of 400k fans who couldn’t get tickets to the Temple game.
Returning to Umass after taking a corporate job after nine years
Non glamorous side of starting out in the Umass athletic department
How he became the interim AD at Umass
Great time to be an AD
The back story how URI got the New England Patriots plane to fly to Towson game
What we should expect from new president Marc Palange
Methodology and process for raising money
What is the status of the practice facility
and charter flight. When construction starts and projected opening
Impact of 125k for WBB
Cost of chartering 42k
How he turned around the football program
Thoughts on retiring #s with Kenny Green video on his take on the matter
Talks about relationship with coach Hurley
Whose responsible when Coach is fired
How close URI football was to switching conferences
Asked him about PC cancelling in state game last season
Thanks to Scott Brand for this Interview with Thorr a couple of months ago.

The hiring of Tammi Reiss is discussed from minute 5:45 to 13:00. The entire interview is great and worth a listen.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago So based on one member of Keaney Blue's suggestion I interviewed Tammi and posted podcast on the YouTube channel. And I think she knocked it out of the park and my strategy was to get out of her way and let her be Tammi Reese.

Here's a little recap

Tammy Reiss is on a roll. She finished the Atlantic 10 in 4th place when picked 11th in preseason. She had the most wins since 1995 and was named the Atlantic 10 coach of the year. Now she brings everyone back and has four star transfers coming in from Providence, Syracuse, North Carolina State and Texas A&M.
    In this podcast she reveals how she got from Syracuse to Kingston
      She also talks about her WNBA experience
        She was the 5th pick in the draft in the first season of the WNBA
          New York State Player of the year in high school
            Recruited by D1 schools since 7th grade
              Helped bring UVA to three final fours and lost in the NCAA finals her junior year
                Talks about how she spends time with players
                  Believes this team will win the A10 championship
                    Dad gave her boxing gloves when she was ten and she pulverized the boys in boxing matches
                      Also talks about acting and was on one "Sister Sister" episode
                        She even argues with host on what’s better 80s or 70s music.

Plus Videos
                          Watch her sing Abba's dancing queen while driving
                            Watch players reaction when she shows them renovated state-of-the-art locker room
                              Watch Tammi's interview after clinching A10 double bye

Here's the link to the podcast:

This was Scott Brand's Podcast with Tammi from a couple months ago. Great listen. She loves her job and working for Thorr.
                              1 x
                              PeteRI
                              Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
                              sbrand wrote: 2 years ago Well here is the Thorr Bjorn Podcast

Topics Covered

How asst. AD initiated the hiring of Tammy Reiss
                              Worked in ticket department of UMass during Calipari era including a number one ranking and final four appearance
                              Trying to contain the crowd of 400k fans who couldn’t get tickets to the Temple game.
                              Returning to Umass after taking a corporate job after nine years
                              Non glamorous side of starting out in the Umass athletic department
                              How he became the interim AD at Umass
                              Great time to be an AD
                              The back story how URI got the New England Patriots plane to fly to Towson game
                              What we should expect from new president Marc Palange
                              Methodology and process for raising money
                              What is the status of the practice facility
                              and charter flight. When construction starts and projected opening
                              Impact of 125k for WBB
                              Cost of chartering 42k
                              How he turned around the football program
                              Thoughts on retiring #s with Kenny Green video on his take on the matter
                              Talks about relationship with coach Hurley
                              Whose responsible when Coach is fired
                              How close URI football was to switching conferences
                              Asked him about PC cancelling in state game last season
                              Thanks to Scott Brand for this Interview with Thorr a couple of months ago.

The hiring of Tammi Reiss is discussed from minute 5:45 to 13:00. The entire interview is great and worth a listen.
                              That's an extraordinarily uncomfortable arm hug from Thorr. :shock:
                              0 x
                              sbrand
                              Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thanks Ramster. Always appreciate your comments and commitment to Rhody Hoops. We share the same enthusiasm. BTW. I plan to get an update on the practice facility with President Parlange on Feb 17 on the podcast. Also on the coaches salary pool and charter flights.
                              0 x
                              ATPTourFan
                              Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
                              Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
                              phipsiGD'11
                              Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Someone posted it in the women's bb thread but Rhody has been steadily improving their attendance (relative to the sport/historically), and sits at 1049 per game, which is 2nd in the A-10 behind Dayton who gets ~1500 a game.

Not bad considering I don't ever remember seeing a reported crowd larger than 500.

If both of those teams can take care of business between now and then, it could be a top 25 matchup for the first time ever.
                              You and I attended URI at more or less the same time. I remember they honored the Women's team during half time at one of the games in the 2010-2011 season, and it was noted that they had the record for single game attendance at like 377 people. I only remember this because I was baffled at how low of a number it was. I will try to look that up tomorrow to verify my memory is correct (was typically drunk during those times).
                              2 x
                              ramster
                              Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 2 years ago
                              Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Someone posted it in the women's bb thread but Rhody has been steadily improving their attendance (relative to the sport/historically), and sits at 1049 per game, which is 2nd in the A-10 behind Dayton who gets ~1500 a game.

You and I attended URI at more or less the same time. I remember they honored the Women's team during half time at one of the games in the 2010-2011 season, and it was noted that they had the record for single game attendance at like 377 people. I only remember this because I was baffled at how low of a number it was. I will try to look that up tomorrow to verify my memory is correct (was typically drunk during those times).
                              492 announced attendance tonight. Max has been about 580 or thereabouts.

But this is real attendance, not an announced 4600 and there are 2000 actual bodies in seats or less.

The 1049 is because one game was a doubleheader with men and they credited the full attendance to the WBB game - yet most people left after the mens game. That went into the WBB average.

People should go to the WBB games. Now is the time to go. Never know what the future brings. The NCAA opportunity is knocking now.
                              7 x