2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramfan22
ARD

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Must of been the extreme Hair Gel usage
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The timing of Kellogg's firing was probably tied to LIU's fiscal calendar. The fiscal year ends on June 30th for many schools. Kellogg was hired five years ago back in 2017. My guess is that his contract likely ended tomorrow. Goodman speculated at his hiring that his contract was expected to be for five years. If that was the case, he probably knew something was up having not been renewed. LIU has already announced that ex-Knick Rod Strickland will replace him. Would seem this was not some snap decision.
It's kind of bizarre timing - It doesn't seem like they saved any money, so why not just fire him in March or April? Have to think they'll have a couple transfers because of this, although, maybe not. Rod Strickland is a "name" at least. (Also, kind of surprising he's now a coach, given his reputation as a professional, ha.)
IIRC, it was the great Peter Vecsey who named him Rod Strichnine.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Some October Coaching Carousel news from 247Friars board
Bob Walsh leaving Fryuzzz to take lead Assistant job at Iona. Maybe setting up to take Pitino’s place one day?
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Some October Coaching Carousel news from 247Friars board
Bob Walsh leaving Fryuzzz to take lead Assistant job at Iona. Maybe setting up to take Pitino’s place one day?
Interesting timing. Good basketball mind.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Wishing Coach Walsh all the best. Maine is a tough place to win but his four year experiment as a division one coach was horrific. 24-100 never gets you another look. Some of you guys used to throw his name around here.....
Iona has been a good job for quite some time. When Rick leaves they will make a quality hire. I'm sure you were joking when suggesting they might hire Coach Walsh. He is a good basketball guy who is from upstate NY. Was a grad assistant at Iona and went to Hamilton. More like him just going home.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

LIRAM wrote: 1 year ago Wishing Coach Walsh all the best. Maine is a tough place to win but his four year experiment as a division one coach was horrific. 24-100 never gets you another look. Some of you guys used to throw his name around here.....
Iona has been a good job for quite some time. When Rick leaves they will make a quality hire. I'm sure you were joking when suggesting they might hire Coach Walsh. He is a good basketball guy who is from upstate NY. Was a grad assistant at Iona and went to Hamilton. More like him just going home.
Also probably a bump from being Assoc Dir. of Player, Development, Scouting, Reruiting.
Spot probably vacated by Tom Abatemarco who is turning 73 and had something like 20 different stops, including working under Jimmy V at NC State.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
LIRAM wrote: 1 year ago Wishing Coach Walsh all the best. Maine is a tough place to win but his four year experiment as a division one coach was horrific. 24-100 never gets you another look. Some of you guys used to throw his name around here.....
Also probably a bump from being Assoc Dir. of Player, Development, Scouting, Reruiting.
Spot probably vacated by Tom Abatemarco who is turning 73 and had something like 20 different stops, including working under Jimmy V at NC State.
Great knowledge 77 he was on the bench for the 83 title team
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, he was probably too over-qualified for his role with PC, but a volunteer job? I guess he sees the benefit of getting in with Pitino and Iona now with the role likely being open for good next season.

0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

This is a sneaky big loss and the timing is surprising. Lots of respect for coach Walsh. He wasn’t getting paid at PC either from what I understand.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jeez, didn't think that Maine buyout was that big where he could just volunteer for two+ years.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cooley making $4+ million a year and Walsh gets zero?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Cooley making $4+ million a year and Walsh gets zero?
Maybe he felt the privilege of working with Cooley was worth it.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote: 1 year ago Yeah, he was probably too over-qualified for his role with PC, but a volunteer job? I guess he sees the benefit of getting in with Pitino and Iona now with the role likely being open for good next season.

That's definitely the face I'd make if I wasn't getting paid.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

How can you pay the guy nothing, zero, zilch?
He’s listed right on the Roster for last year
Cooley makes $4+ million a YEAR!

PC has 10,000+ season ticket holders
They play in the Big East with a huge media package

Is it even legal to not pay the guy at all? No medical benefits? No nothin? Never heard of the before except at PC and now Iona. How cheap can a school get. Let the money go to NIL I guess.

What cheap SOB’s

I need Rhode Island Red to weigh in on this one.
54E4EEFD-7C37-4DBB-B7B1-071BCFDCAA64.jpeg
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think for one more chance to get on the carousel wheel for the bigger jobs, lifer coaches sometimes make crazy career decisions to stay in the game, tough for these guys to give it up
Last edited by section(105) 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Is it even legal to not pay the guy at all? No medical benefits? No nothin? Never heard of the before except at PC and now Iona. How cheap can a school get. Let the money go to NIL I guess.

What cheap SOB’s

Ramster, I thought that would rile you up.

Aside from PCFriar's post on what he may have heard, do we actually know for sure Walsh was not getting compensated?

The position at Iona is probably a very temporary "volunteer' job until Abatemarco's permanent departure will be made official.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s very odd if Walsh didn’t have some kind of salary , he’s 50 years old usually the unpaid staffers are the guys right out of college??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From article by Kevin Farrahar, Oct 2,

Once again, things have come full circle for Walsh, who got his Masters degree and his start in coaching at Iona. The Gaels are a MAAC power and finished 25-8 overall and 17-3 in conference games last season. They will contend for an NCAA Tournament berth this season.

Smart move by Iona
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From Iona message board….

Adam Nelson
@HD_DirtKing
Quick update here….
Former Iona assistant Tom Abatemarco had to move to the West Coast to help care for a sick family member. He is 100% not retiring, and will definitely be looking to get back into coaching next season.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago From Iona message board….

Adam Nelson
@HD_DirtKing
Quick update here….
Former Iona assistant Tom Abatemarco had to move to the West Coast to help care for a sick family member. He is 100% not retiring, and will definitely be looking to get back into coaching next season.
He just turned 73 and had around 20 coaching stops already.
You would think it's about time to give it up.
Maybe he stays out there and lands a HS position or some small school.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Adam Nelson
@HD_DirtKing
Quick update here….
At 73?
Have you checked the ages of McConnell, Pelosi, Dr Fauci, Biden, Trump, Portman, Feinstein, Grassley? And these people travel a lot throughout the year.
Basketball HC’s can have their Assistants do the recruiting travel, recruit on zoom, season runs November to March. Keeps them active and young. 73 is not old for many people especially those who keep themselves in good shape as most basketball coaches do.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Adam Nelson
@HD_DirtKing
Quick update here….
At 73?
Have you checked the ages of McConnell, Pelosi, Dr Fauci, Biden, Trump, Portman, Feinstein, Grassley? And these people travel a lot throughout the year.
Basketball HC’s can have their Assistants do the recruiting travel, recruit on zoom, season runs November to March. Keeps them active and young. 73 is not old for many people especially those who keep themselves in good shape as most basketball coaches do.
Not exactly that old, because I will be there in the not too-distant future.
But at his position, an assistant in the coaching profession, that is pushing it.
Especially as much as he moved around.

Don't really know his personal situation but I guess to each his own.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What cheap SOB’s

Alabama football is known for giving fired big time coaches like Steve Sarkisian, Lane Kiffin, Mike Locksley, Butch Jones, and Jim McElwain a 30K or less salary as like an assistant football analyst or something along those lines. Surely they have more money to give those guys a legitimate salary.

I'm expecting you to get very riled up now about Alabama being cheap and not paying those coaches more money.

I hope you're trolling with your post, because I doubt many people here care even 1% about how much you seem to care about PC not paying Walsh.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

What cheap SOB’s

Alabama football is known for giving fired big time coaches like Steve Sarkisian, Lane Kiffin, Mike Locksley, Butch Jones, and Jim McElwain a 30K or less salary as like an assistant football analyst or something along those lines. Surely they have more money to give those guys a legitimate salary.

I'm expecting you to get very riled up now about Alabama being cheap and not paying those coaches more money.

I hope you're trolling with your post, because I doubt many people here care even 1% about how much you seem to care about PC not paying Walsh.
Maybe Cooley slips him a few bucks under the table.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

What cheap SOB’s

Wait until he learns about unpaid internships and people volunteering at other nonprofit organizations. Those cheapskates skirting labor laws! (Obviously being sarcastic at the end there)
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

What cheap SOB’s

Wait until he learns about unpaid internships and people volunteering at other nonprofit organizations. Those cheapskates skirting labor laws! (Obviously being sarcastic at the end there)
Unpaid internships and volunteering?
What does that have to do with a Basketball program paying their HC $4 million plus, have 10,000 season ticket holders, get huge money from BE TV contract?
But if Walsh wants to work for free more power to him. Guess he sees it as an investment in his future.
Here we are complaining about not paying Assistant Coaches enough at URI. Maybe Cooley has it right.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

What cheap SOB’s

One thing I've learned is to not "pocket check" another individual. You have no idea their financial situation. Maybe money isn't a concern? Wealth in the family, wife could have a high paying job in the area which limits his opportunities. Maybe he has a side business or another position at the University that pays him. Who knows? Not my concern. What he is making is between him, his family and the school. There is a cost/reward to this. Maybe he makes more at another school, but the opportunity isn't the same to learn from an established experienced coach with outstanding connections.
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Odd timing.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Sounds like Steve Masiello demanded a large contract extension and Manhattan didn’t want to commit.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

He was a lame duck coach this year anyway. The school should have fired him in the spring and hired a new coach.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Masiello played and coached under Pitino he’s been @ Manhattan for a long time
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

It would appear that this entire situation with Masiello was handled extremely poorly.
The student athletes are the ones that suffer.

The administration should have made a decision right after last season to either give him some type of extension or let him go.
Never a good thing to go into the season as a lame duck coach.
Now they let him go less than 2 weeks prior to the start of 22-23.

It's sad that this was expected to be their break-out year (picked 2nd by the coaches) after 7 straight non-winng seasons following 2 straight NCAAT bids.
Also having the best player in the MAAC who now just entered the portal.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The administration should have made a decision right after last season to either give him some type of extension or let him go.
Eerily similar to my take on Thorr's handling of Cox.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Not even close.
7 x
Slava Ukraini!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Maybe Manhattan should give Gordie Chiesa a call, after all, coaches coach……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

*opens window

*climbs up on table

*picks up megaphone

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Not even close.
Actually Thorr handled Cox's situation perfectly.
He was fired March 11, almost 8 months prior to the start of 22-23, and hired Archie on March 17.
5 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Not even close.
He was fired March 11, almost 8 months prior to the start of 22-23, and hired Archie on March 17.
Plus Cox wasn't going into a final year of his contract. He received 2 year's pay as a buyout, if I recall correctly.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Not even close.
Plus Cox wasn't going into a final year of his contract. He received 2 year's pay as a buyout, if I recall correctly.
No use making rational points to someone who wears a hockey helmet to bed and a mask alone in their car.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

What cheap SOB’s

Nuf ced. Typical mental hospital.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

No use making rational points to someone who wears a hockey helmet to bed and a mask alone in their car.
They likely don't wear a mask alone in the car. How else would they lick the windows?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not good for #7 Texas or Beard.

0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

According to Austin Police:

On December 12, 2022, at approximately 12:15 a.m., the Austin Police
Department (APD) received a 9-1-1 call for a disturbance in the 1900
block of Vista Lane. The caller reported the disturbance was no longer
ongoing and one of the individuals had left the house. APD officers
esponded and located a woman who stated she had been assaulted and
strangled by Christopher Michael Beard.
===
Chris Beard's bond hearing.

Conditions: must stay 200 yards away from victim. Can communicate via text,
phone but in a non-threatening way. Must stay 200 yards away from house.
===
BREAKING: Prominent Austin attorney Perry Minton, representing Beard says:
"Coach Beard is 100 percent innocent of these charges. He should have
never been arrested. The complainant wants him released immediately and
all charges dismissed. It is truly inconceivable."
===
The University of Texas has suspended basketball coach Chris Beard "until
futher notice" after he was arrested and charged with assault on a family
or household member at 4:18 a.m. Monday. Beard, 49, faces a third-degree
felony charge of assault against a family member by impeding breath or
circulation.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

He is the 2nd coach I am aware of that had been arrested in the past 2 weeks for domestic assault.
The other was Micky Joseph who was the interim head coach at Nebraska football this past season.

Must be that time of year.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Chris Beard is most likely gone, along with his HC career at least for the near future or until this blows over.
Maybe Texas wishes Shaka was still there.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good foresight, Jersey. Texas fires Beard.

I wonder which coaches will be on their radar?
0 x