2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Chris Mack out at Louisville
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Blue Man »

Dear Mr Ryan, Mr Fascitelli, or Mr Soloviev,

Please call Thorr, offer up $3M per year over the next 5 years, build our practice facility, and call Chris Mack’s agent.

Thank you.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Dear Mr Ryan, Mr Fascitelli, or Mr Soloviev,

Please call Thorr, offer up $3M per year over the next 5 years, build our practice facility, and call Chris Mack’s agent.

Thank you.
Good luck with that, you have their #'s.

Besides aside from his compensation, any top coach will want a much higher assistants pool, more charter flights, etc.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Thank you.

Besides aside from his compensation, any top coach will want a much higher assistants pool, more charter flights, etc.
They offered it for Hurley.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Thank you.

I know the neighborhood they offered Hurley to stay, not the other promises.

It was a last ditch effort, maybe by desperation, obviously it wasn't going to work out.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I know the neighborhood they offered Hurley to stay, not the other promises.

It was a last ditch effort, maybe by desperation, obviously it wasn't going to work out.
Nah bro. 2.2 mil by 2021, significant increase in coaches pool, chartered flights to all away games, and breaking ground on new practice facility.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think it’s a bit cray to think we will offer our next coach what we offered Dan off the heels of back to back conference championships and NCAA wins. I don’t see that happening.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I think it’s a bit cray to think we will offer our next coach what we offered Dan off the heels of back to back conference championships and NCAA wins. I don’t see that happening.
If we want the splash hire that’s what it costs.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

If Capel is gone from Pitt, watch for one of the Miller bros. to maybe end up there.
They are from the area and would probably love the opportunity to resurrect that program.

As I mentioned before, Turg might go back to the Midwest especially if Kansas State opens up, dismissing Weber.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I think it’s a bit cray to think we will offer our next coach what we offered Dan off the heels of back to back conference championships and NCAA wins. I don’t see that happening.
I want the coach who will get us back to the tournament and top of the conference. That isn’t necessarily the splashiest. Ed Cooley wasn’t a splashy hire at the time and that’s turned out pretty well. I can’t imagine a scenario where we throw 2.5-3mm at a new hire.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago If Capel is gone from Pitt, watch for one of the Miller bros. to maybe end up there.
They are from the area and would probably love the opportunity to resurrect that program.

As I mentioned before, Turg might go back to the Midwest especially if Kansas State opens up, dismissing Weber.
Yeah makes a lot of sense , Sean Miller played @ Pitt

What’s next for Chris Mack ?? Things went sour real quick for him , wonder if he regrets leaving Xavier
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

If Cox is let go, URI doesn't need a "splash" hire. They need a great hire. Don't win the press conference. Win games.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
If Cox is let go, URI doesn't need a "splash" hire. They need a great hire. Don't win the press conference. Win games.
You are 100% right.

If I put it another way..don't let this be another on-the-job-training scenario. Bring in an experienced coach who can win games and go to the NCAA.

Outside of Bobby Hurley as a "splash" - all those other big names are great coaches. Mack, Marshall, the Millers.

Hurley obviously has a lot of work to do compared to those other names, but I think what we saw at Buffalo he can recruit and coach at this level. I think the Pac12 is over his head but he would do well here (for our standards), and certainly bring eyeballs and recruits with him instantly.

Now whether any of our donors would pony up the cash required (and more importantly the infrastructure investments required to compete at the level our supposed bar is set at) - or whether those big names want to take on a rebuild at a historically middle-of-the-pack small-time basketball school is a different story.

But...hope. It's literally our state motto.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Zero chance Bobby follows in Dan's footsteps here and has to constantly be compared to his brother.
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Zero chance Bobby follows in Dan's footsteps here and has to constantly be compared to his brother.
Or maybe he wants that challenge? They'll never play each other, that much I know. But I'm sure he wants to be closer to his family. He coached here already. And he's not exactly following in Dan's footsteps, he's following Dave Cox's.

I mean yea, this is definitely a pipe dream and I put it in the below 5% likelihood of happening. But it's more fun to talk about than finding a new way to explain how our head coach now sucks.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Damn Bar have some faith....
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bryce Drew. Continue the famous family legacy. And we have a connection to him…both Rhody and Valpo were in the Oklahoma City regional when Bryce hit that game winning shot. We then thumped them in the sweet sixteen. The best of times.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Damn Bar have some faith....
Lol Stevey. I’m an optimist but as I always say it’s not easy being a fan of an A10 program. Just trying to deal in reality with what I think is and isn’t feasible.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I have a feeling that Tom Crean could also be gone.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I have a feeling that Tom Crean could also be gone.
Probably, but that's a hard pass from me.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Zero chance Bobby follows in Dan's footsteps here and has to constantly be compared to his brother.
Talk about a role reversal should that ever happen.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Really, 3 Sweet 16's at Indiana and a final 4 when Marquette was at our conference level (C-USA).
I agree maybe not a good fit here, but I wouldn't give him a hard pass.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Let's bring Baron out of retirement.

(Kidding, I think.)
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Or maybe he wants that challenge? They'll never play each other, that much I know. But I'm sure he wants to be closer to his family. He coached here already. And he's not exactly following in Dan's footsteps, he's following Dave Cox's.

I mean yea, this is definitely a pipe dream and I put it in the below 5% likelihood of happening. But it's more fun to talk about than finding a new way to explain how our head coach now sucks.
I know this is all speculation and very premature at this time.
But should there be an opening here, I actually believe Bobby Hurley wouldn't be a bad fit.
His brother is less than an hour, he is relatively close to home.
He has coached here and liked the area.
Hurley also has the recruiting connections in the Northeast.

Archie would still be high on my list, but I doubt he would end up here.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Really, 3 Sweet 16's at Indiana and a final 4 when Marquette was at our conference level (C-USA).
Yeah I'll be taking no hard passes on big name coaches with winning track records.

Plus, just because he may not "work out" at that level, doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to dominate in the A-10.

He has a level of cache that would play in a lot of recruiting battles in the A-10. His coaching would probably be above-average in this conference.

And as far as the NCAA's go - a lot of it is matchup driven. So as long as we hire a coach who can get us there, the NCAA matchups are all in God's hands.

Let's just get a coach who can get us back to competing for an A-10 championship before we worry about a coach who didn't make a final four at big schools.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I know this is all speculation and very premature at this time.
But should there be an opening here, I actually believe Bobby Hurley wouldn't be a bad fit.
His brother is less than an hour, he is relatively close to home.
He has coached here and liked the area.
He also has the recruiting connections in the Northeast.

Archie would still be high on my list, but I doubt he would end up here.
I think Bobby would have zero interest in coaching at 1) the school that his brother left and 2) the school that fired or dealt with the resignation of his brother's lead assistant. Why would he want all that baggage? I think there are schools similar to URI - Richmond, for example - that are also going to have openings soon, that don't come with all that baggage.
5 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

To me the goal should be getting a young, up-and-coming guy with head coaching experience. Not an older coach who will cost more and whose best years may very well be behind him.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would have no problem with another Jack Kraft type. Finish his career here.

But who out there would fit that bill?

And no...Pitino without the baggage would, but not happening.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

To me the goal should be getting a young, up-and-coming guy with head coaching experience. Not an older coach who will cost more and whose best years may very well be behind him.
I wouldn't dismiss Crean, not exactly over-the-hill, in his mid-fifties, younger than when Kraft came here.

But again, he may not be the best fit and yeah, an up and comer would be great, but also a bigger risk.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

A reformed Mike Rice.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I would have no problem with another Jack Kraft type. Finish his career here.

But who out there would fit that bill?

And no...Pitino without the baggage would, but not happening.
If you think there is a faction here that would want Pitino can you imagine what’s going on behind the scenes at Louisville right now.
3 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Tom Crean...ummm, no. Not highly thought of, not liked in the college coaching circles. He's been described as a phony, somebody he thinks his own you know what doesn't stink. Needs to check his ego.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Again, if Cox is let go then don't think "splash" hire. Think great hire. Somebody who has a legitimate track record of coaching, instructing, leading, winning...

You think Steve Pikiell was a "splash" hire at Rutgers?? Micah Shrewsberry at Penn State? Steve Forbes at ETSU and Wake Forest? Not a splash hire.

URI would have to do some major research, talk to a lot of people in the coaching profession (and perhaps connected to it via the media) to find a good fit. It's not as easy as "hey, go get Archie Miller...or Chris Mack (who now has baggage by the way)"...or whoever the flavor of the day is to be the coach.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Tom Crean...ummm, no. Not highly thought of, not liked in the college coaching circles. He's been described as a phony, somebody he thinks his own you know what doesn't stink. Needs to check his ego.
Don't disagree with a lot of that, wasn't a fan, that's why I didn't think a good fit.
But he has had success and he can coach.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago A reformed Mike Rice.
Leopards don't change their spots. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Both apply to Mike Rice.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago Again, if Cox is let go then don't think "splash" hire. Think great hire. Somebody who has a legitimate track record of coaching, instructing, leading, winning...

You think Steve Pikiell was a "splash" hire at Rutgers?? Micah Shrewsberry at Penn State? Steve Forbes at ETSU and Wake Forest? Not a splash hire.

URI would have to do some major research, talk to a lot of people in the coaching profession (and perhaps connected to it via the media) to find a good fit. It's not as easy as "hey, go get Archie Miller...or Chris Mack (who now has baggage by the way)"...or whoever the flavor of the day is to be the coach.
I agree with everything you're saying, and you are probably right on track of what Thorr will do.

I think at the level we play at, a "splash" hire can immediately get you to the level you want. Again, your post is in reality and mine is in fantasy - but just hear me out.

Say you were able to get a Mack, Miller, Miller, Marshall, or Hurley (again, unlikely, but let's just have fun).

If you get one of those guys - the level of recruit/transfer you would get for the A-10 would be enough to put you back in the top 4 of the league within 2 seasons.

The new transfer rules give you a lot of leeway. The visibility and eyeballs of a coach like that would get you an invite into big name pre-season tourneys, and also probably give you OOC games this current administration couldn't get you.

I think being at this level has a lot of advantages to bringing in a splash hire that you wouldn't get where the competition is a lot more fierce in the P6.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Ugh please God let me win powerball.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..my focus is not as much on names kicked around, but more on what I don’t want……..no more the hot assistant route, need an individual with prior D1 successful coaching track record couple of stops along the way, fine…….progressive record in program building……..no more OJT…….I am sure folks are gonna show recent names that have moved up………our program is not exactly stable right now, so strong leader/teacher is needed……..paying for that?…….way above my paid grade……..all teams needing a coach looking similar?……..sure, there is a fit for us out there…….no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Mack all day. Or any other coach that can win and win big. Mack dominated at Xavier and has had too 10 teams at Louisville. He’s a star. The Miller brother that was at Dayton and Indiana is the worse of the two. The Arizona Miller brother is dominant and knows everything. Let’s get a star!!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let's not hire the "safe hire"...we all know how that turned out......well those of us old enough to remember hiring Baron.....
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..my focus is not as much on names kicked around, but more on what I don’t want……..no more the hot assistant route, need an individual with prior D1 successful coaching track record couple of stops along the way, fine…….progressive record in program building……..no more OJT…….I am sure folks are gonna show recent names that have moved up………our program is not exactly stable right now, so strong leader/teacher is needed……..paying for that?…….way above my paid grade……..all teams needing a coach looking similar?……..sure, there is a fit for us out there…….no?
I'm kind of with you in that I want someone with head coaching experience, although I'm not particular about whether it's a power conference to A10, "reestablish career" guy, or, a lower conference to A10, "coach on the rise" type. Even with the transfer rules in place allowing for more immediate reloads, with the regression Leggett has had this year, we don't have one player on the roster right now that you can point to and say, "Hey, let's build around him." It's still easier to recruit that kind of player as an incoming freshman than to get them on the transfer market, which I think an established HC can do moreso than a well-respected assistant coach. (I also think a good portion of this year's roster, regardless of whether Cox is here or someone else is here, will still be on the 2022-23 roster, and I'm kind of interested to see if a coaching change would result in different performance.)
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Let's not hire the "safe hire"...we all know how that turned out......well those of us old enough to remember hiring Baron.....
I was in high school when he was hired, so I might be overlooking the context. But I think you're right in portraying that as a "safe" hire, veering too much into a conservative one. Like, Baron finished his Bonaventure tenure with a .502 winning percentage, which seems like the perfect number in hindsight. I think the only way to replicate that would be to like, hire Chris Mooney if he got fired.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Mason from Wagner imo would be a great hire, a young up and coming head coach who won't cost 2 mil a year....that should be the type of profile URI should be looking for.

Hell Hurley came here from Wagner, and he had the big "name" to boot, and with less experience than Mason has now.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..my focus is not as much on names kicked around, but more on what I don’t want……..no more the hot assistant route, need an individual with prior D1 successful coaching track record couple of stops along the way, fine…….progressive record in program building……..no more OJT…….I am sure folks are gonna show recent names that have moved up………our program is not exactly stable right now, so strong leader/teacher is needed……..paying for that?…….way above my paid grade……..all teams needing a coach looking similar?……..sure, there is a fit for us out there…….no?
I'm kind of with you in that I want someone with head coaching experience, although I'm not particular about whether it's a power conference to A10, "reestablish career" guy, or, a lower conference to A10, "coach on the rise" type. Even with the transfer rules in place allowing for more immediate reloads, with the regression Leggett has had this year, we don't have one player on the roster right now that you can point to and say, "Hey, let's build around him." It's still easier to recruit that kind of player as an incoming freshman than to get them on the transfer market, which I think an established HC can do moreso than a well-respected assistant coach. (I also think a good portion of this year's roster, regardless of whether Cox is here or someone else is here, will still be on the 2022-23 roster, and I'm kind of interested to see if a coaching change would result in different performance.)
……..I think the coach I am envisioning would look at the big man assets we have, look at the film and quickly determine the path forward to not to put up with the shit we have seen……..how many coaching vacancies are there going to be at our level with two poorly trained with huge potential big men?……..of course the wild card is their agent/mother……..if they go, fine……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

John Becker?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
……..I think the coach I am envisioning would look at the big man assets we have, look at the film and quickly determine the path forward to not to put up with the shit we have seen……..how many coaching vacancies are there going to be at our level with two poorly trained with huge potential big men?……..of course the wild card is their agent/mother……..if they go, fine……..
Again though, as frustrating as our big men have been, they're the *best* part of this team. I complain about Walker only getting 20 minutes in the last game as much as anyone, but the bigger need is to bring in or coach up more guard and wing talent. If they're interviewing for a new coach, the thing he should identify as our biggest weakness is the backcourt, not the frontcourt.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago John Becker?
He was one of the four finalists when we hired Cox, so I'm sure he would be looked at
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
He was one of the four finalists when we hired Cox, so I'm sure he would be looked at
Safe hire. Wouldn't hate it, but it wouldn't immediately get me running to celebrate either.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Safe hire. Wouldn't hate it, but it wouldn't immediately get me running to celebrate either.
It’s a pass for me tell me we can do much better !!
0 x