Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Season

Unread post by ramster »

I changed the title to include games of interest through the end of the season

This thread can be used for any games posters want to discuss.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #12- Games of Interest

Unread post by ramster »

#18 Texas Tech @ #7 Kansas 9pm ESPN. Tough to find much exciting for today especially after the great football this past weekend
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: Week #12- Games of Interest - A NEW WEEK!!!!! GO RHODY!!

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Less reading

More firing
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Wait, Obadiah isn't doing this anymore? If Cox broke them what other signs do we need to see that it's time to move on?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry ramster jumped the gun and here is the post I was about to put into a new thread, but will now put it in this thread

Games of Interest - Rest of Season

I am dropping the games of interest weekly format for two reasons 1) this format only makes sense if URI is in the hunt for a big dance invite and that possibility is long gone. 2) When I first conceived this thread, I grappled with its scope. With limited time and resources I could not ever approach an ESPN version, so I settled on a focus of the A-10 and given the importance of SOS in the RPI/NET ratings, also the URI non conference schedule. From the outset, the format was only intended to tee up a lively discussion about any games of interest and always welcomed anyone to chime in.

I did worry that the thread had become too structured. Somehow I was missing something, never dreaming for a minute that the format itself would be controversial. I think RamStock said it best - I hate to break it to you, but Florida Gulf Coast or Bryant and the rest of the low end teams we played in non conference play also have no bearing on URI. He was right. Sorry that it took me so long to react which is surely sign that it's time to move on and pave the way for new ideas. So the weekly format ends and will not return next season.

But for the last time, let me tee up Monday night's action in college basketball.

In the A-10, one game:

Saint Joseph's at George Mason, 7 PM. ESPN+.

Elsewhere:

#18 Texas Tech at #7 Kansas, 9 PM. ESPN.

Arizona State at #16 USC, 11 PM, ESPN2.

Peace!
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Davidson ranked this week, really don’t understand it how they almost lost at Fordham this week
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dino611 wrote: 2 years ago Davidson ranked this week, really don’t understand it how they almost lost at Fordham this week
Duke and Kentucky lost at home to mid major teams who didn’t finish the season above .500 couple years ago. One team was Evansville I believe, can’t remember the other.

Anything can happen when two college teams play each other.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Davidson is in the top 25! That's awesome.

When I was debating with some people that the A10 still had a chance to receive an at-large bid, I didn't think Davidson would go on this big of a winning streak. Props to their coaching staff for getting the absolute best out of their players. I'm jealous.

Thanks for doing these weekly updates Obadiah.. I'm sad to see you're stopping, but I understand.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Really enjoyed this thread.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Sorry ramster jumped the gun and here is the post I was about to put into a new thread, but will now put it in this thread

I am dropping the games of interest weekly format for two reasons 1) this format only makes sense if URI is in the hunt for a big dance invite and that possibility is long gone. 2) When I first conceived this thread, I grappled with its scope. With limited time and resources I could not ever approach an ESPN version, so I settled on a focus of the A-10 and given the importance of SOS in the RPI/NET ratings, also the URI non conference schedule. From the outset, the format was only intended to tee up a lively discussion about any games of interest and always welcomed anyone to chime in.

I did worry that the thread had become too structured. Somehow I was missing something, never dreaming for a minute that the format itself would be controversial. I think RamStock said it best - I hate to break it to you, but Florida Gulf Coast or Bryant and the rest of the low end teams we played in non conference play also have no bearing on URI. He was right. Sorry that it took me so long to react which is surely sign that it's time to move on and pave the way for new ideas. So the weekly format ends and will not return next season.

But for the last time, let me tee up Monday night's action in college basketball.

In the A-10, one game:

Elsewhere:

Peace!
OB - thank you for this. You're one of the ones who make this thread the best sounding board on the internet.

The team doesn't deserve your efforts this year, but we are all incredibly thankful (and much better entertained) for all you do on here.

Hopefully this team will once again be deserving of this thread and your efforts!
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Anyone else surprised Zags lost their # 1 ranking without losing a game actually pounded 2 opponents. ??
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Anyone else surprised Zags lost their # 1 ranking without losing a game actually pounded 2 opponents. ??
At this point of the year it really isn't a big deal being 1 or 2, but Auburn has a better resume so far with some big wins.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Sorry ramster jumped the gun and here is the post I was about to put into a new thread, but will now put it in this thread

In the A-10, one game:

Elsewhere:

Peace!
You did a great job with the thread. It was more people getting upset when a team that wasn't a team of interest or A-10 team like Iona was brought up and people took offense. I find it funny when people get that upset with something like Iona that is interesting being considered off topic. The thread is a lot of work and is always enjoyable when URI has a realistic chance to make the tourney. Thanks for keeping the taking the time to do it.
Last edited by RamStock 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

In the A-10, one game:

Elsewhere:

Peace!
You did a great job with the thread. It was more people getting upset when a team that wasn't a team of interest or A-10 team like Iona. I find it funny when people get that upset with something like Iona that is interesting being considered off topic. The thread is a lot of work and is always enjoyable when URI has a realistic chance to make the tourney. Thanks for keeping the taking the time to do it.
Obadiah, thanks again, you did a great job on this.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Also for anyone curious or interested.
Morgan State vs Norfolk State at 7:00 ESPNU
Dana Tate has been starting for NSU as of late.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mason beats GMU 77-71

Dana had 6 and 6 in a Norfolk win
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In the A-10, one game:

Elsewhere:

Peace!
I'm really sorry to read this, this was always very useful. You really did a great job with this
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

OB, when I heard you where discontinuing this, I had to pop back in to tell you thank you for all your hard work thru the years. It’s always been interesting and accurate and one of the things I never failed to read. I understand your reasons, but I’m sorry to see it end. Hopefully it comes back in better times. Thanks again.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

For those still interested in watching college basketball, 2 games that might be enjoyable.
VCU at Davidson 8:30 CBS Sports
Bonnies at GM 7:00 ESPN+
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Season

Unread post by rambone 78 »

You mean good basketball?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago For those still interested in watching college basketball, 2 games that might be enjoyable.
Yes will be keeping tabs on those 2 and PC @ Xav
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago For those still interested in watching college basketball, 2 games that might be enjoyable.
Yes will be keeping tabs on those 2 and PC @ Xav
URI Women at UMASS Women ESPN+ 7pm. UMASS leads A10 with NET 48. URI Net 49. In contention for NCAA Bids. Dayton 55 and Fordham 56 are also at the Top of the A10 NET Rankings.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

GM beats the Bonnies 75-64.

Have to be impressed with 1st year head coach Kim English.
He is only 33 and already considered one of the top young up-and-comers.

After losing their top 4/5 scorers from last season, he built a new roster and has already beaten Maryland, Georgia, Dayton, and the Bonnies.

If he continues this trend, look to see him move up to the P6 in the not to distant future.

He came from the coaching ranks under Rick Barnes.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago GM beats the Bonnies 75-64.

After losing their top 4/5 scorers from last season, he built a new roster and has already beaten Maryland, Georgia, Dayton, and the Bonnies.

If he continues this trend, look to see him move up to the P6 in the not to distant future.

Kim English has been a name popping up for the Maryland vacancy coming at the end of the season
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

URI women beat UMass, 60-46.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Kim English has been a name popping up for the Maryland vacancy coming at the end of the season
Yes Ramster I heard that also, but I think at this point they are looking for someone more certain.
They can't afford to miss after letting go of Turg.
That job is probably too big and too soon for English.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Yes Ramster I heard that also, but I think at this point they are looking for someone more certain.
You called it before the season started on Josh Oduro. Look at the line he had tonight (ignoring the 4 Turnovers) against St Bonaventure and Osun Osunniyi who only had 7 rebounds, 8 points and 0 blocks tonight:

Oduro
5-9 FG, 5-6 FT for 15 points
7 rebounds
4 assists
5 blocks
2 steals
a fine all around performance

GMU was 15-32 on 3FGs for 47%
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

You called it before the season started on Josh Oduro. Look at the line he had tonight (ignoring the 4 Turnovers) against St Bonaventure and Osun Osunniyi who only had 7 rebounds, 8 points and 0 blocks tonight:

Oduro
5-9 FG, 5-6 FT for 15 points
7 rebounds
4 assists
5 blocks
2 steals
a fine all around performance

GMU was 15-32 on 3FGs for 47%
Yep arguably the top big in the conference.

Ramster, you were impressed with their transfers and they are making a huge impact.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bonaventure disappointing this year
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bonnie’s we’re ranked, beat Marquette and Clemson and looked good. Weird how they’ve lost their groove.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago Bonaventure disappointing this year
Yes, them and Richmond very disappointing.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

It fucking sucks that pc keeps winning. But bronze lining, can’t wait for them to lose in the first round of the tournament as a 5 seed or whatever
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU hangs on to win at #25 Davidson 70-68. The block of the Davidson 3 point shot with seconds left was huge by Brown-Jones.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago URI women beat UMass, 60-46.
Wow the Lady Rams getting it done on the road! Very impressive win against a high NET team!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Can’t help but be impressed by PC. They keep finding ways to win. Whereas we keep finding ways to lose. We are two second half collapses from being tied for first and headed to Dayton. Instead we got this.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Can’t help but be impressed by PC. They keep finding ways to win. Whereas we keep finding ways to lose. We are two second half collapses from being tied for first and headed to Dayton. Instead we got this.
So much for Durham not being an impact player for them...
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Can’t help but be impressed by PC. They keep finding ways to win. Whereas we keep finding ways to lose. We are two second half collapses from being tied for first and headed to Dayton. Instead we got this.
Happy for you.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Happy for you.
Happy that I understand the game of basketball and am not blindly bias and narrow minded? Thank you.
1 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hate to admit this, but Cooley has done a really good job with that team.

They're winning the close ones, something that he hasn't done very often there.

They are way better than the preseason predictions that's for sure.

Yes they have considerable talent, but it takes coaching to get the most out of it.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Hate to admit this, but Cooley has done a really good job with that team.

Yes they have considerable talent, but it takes coaching to get the most out of it.
I think he enjoys playing Heel, to borrow a pro wrestling term, for anything involving URI vs. PC. And hey, to paraphrase Billy Beane, maybe his shit doesn't work so well in a tournament setting. But his teams have consistently played hard for him and probably a bit above their talent level.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Happy for you.
Happy that I understand the game of basketball and am not blindly bias and narrow minded? Thank you.
You are welcome.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Hate to admit this, but Cooley has done a really good job with that team.

I think he enjoys playing Heel, to borrow a pro wrestling term, for anything involving URI vs. PC. And hey, to paraphrase Billy Beane, maybe his shit doesn't work so well in a tournament setting. But his teams have consistently played hard for him and probably a bit above their talent level.
I think you nailed it. He knows what the rivalry is in RI between these two programs. But he embraces the role of the villain and enjoys getting you guys all riled up.

I haven't always been the biggest fan of his coaching, but he's always connected with his players. The experience level on this year's team is overwhelming to most teams they play against. Still need to see it in March because it's a glaring hole in Ed's resume for sure, but this is the best chance he's had since he's been here. If not now, when?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Strange game as Loyola Chicago beats Southern Illinois 44-39

Loyola hit only 2-14 3FG and Southern Illinois was even worse at 1-14 3FG

Southern Illinois had only 3 assists for the entire game
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Seasony

Unread post by ramster »

#12 Kentucky @ #5 Kansas 6pm ESPN playing now

SEC - Big 12 Challenge

Kansas favored by 5
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Seasony

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago #12 Kentucky @ #5 Kansas 6pm ESPN playing now

SEC - Big 12 Challenge

Kansas favored by 5
Kentucky wins 80-62. Jay Bilas said in the wrap up it was never a game. Kentucky dominated from the start.
Toppin 4-4 FG, 1-1 3FG, 2-2 FT, 11 points, 3 rebounds. 1st man in off the bench
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Impressive win by Kentucky

Bona and Davidson take care of business and VCU nice win
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

For any of those still interested:

Tuesday February 1st
Davidson @ St. Bonaventure- 7 PM (CBS Sports)
Richmond @ Duquesne- 7 PM (ESPN+)
Creighton @ #17 UConn- 6:30 PM (Fox Sports 1)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago For any of those still interested:

Tuesday February 1st
agree, Davidson NET 48 vs St Bonaventure Net 99 is a good one. Bonnies are -3.5 points

also like
9pm Texas Tech @ Texas ESPN2
9pm Alabama @ Auburn ESPN
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago For any of those still interested:

Tuesday February 1st
agree, Davidson NET 48 vs St Bonaventure Net 99 is a good one. Bonnies are -3.5 points

also like
9pm Texas Tech @ Texas
9pm Alabama @ Auburn
Yes, the 2 rivalry games at 9:00 should be good.
Especially, Beard against his former team at TT.
0 x