Stay or go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Stay or go?

Unread post by PeteRI »

After that GWU debacle I'm staying at home instead of going to the game. Cox's inability to control his team and his ridiculous postgame remark made me realize I have better things to do than waste four hours of my day on a coach who doesn't seem to care that his players make the same correctable mistakes game after game. Let's see what happens in the next handful of games, but for now I'm not driving two hours back and forth to see this slow motion car crash.
7 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Stay or go?

Unread post by section(105) »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago After that GWU debacle I'm staying at home instead of going to the game. Cox's inability to control his team and his ridiculous postgame remark made me realize I have better things to do than waste four hours of my day on a coach who doesn't seem to care that his players make the same correctable mistakes game after game. Let's see what happens in the next handful of games, but for now I'm not driving two hours back and forth to see this slow motion car crash.
…….returning to SoCo early February, I am going…….most of my January tickets were given away…….wife loves the games, we will show up for the rest……..and taken in whatever good/bad atmosphere remains……..will truth be told, the tickets are in her name and pays for them!……..go Rhody…….
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Going to every home game, not even a question for me.
1 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Living outside of Boston, it's no longer convenient for me to go to every game. When I was younger and even though I was living and working inside of Boston, I still got Season tickets and went to most games (that $99 end zone pack was great - even though it was well under priced). I stopped somewhere during Baron's tenure - not specifically due to Baron, but I found it not worth the money (after the $99 end zone went from ridiculously under priced to ridiculously over priced during Thorr's predecessor as AD short tenure) and I sort of stopped losing interest over a number of years (other personal factors in life also played into this as well). I still tried to get to 3 to 5 games a year anyway. I lost so much interest by the end of Baron's tenure that I didn't even realize that VCU and Butler were primed to join the A10 until they were on the schedule in Hurley's first year.

Seg to now. I was texting a buddy in the first half of the GW game who lives in Wickford, about picking a game to head down to (my last game was just before Covid - the early March debacle vs. SLU). After Sat I don't want to waste my efforts.

Long story short, I was a die hard fan since before I went to Rhody, solidified when they went to the Sweet 16 in my freshman year. I went to 2 games that season, then nearly every home game the rest of my time there. After graduation, I had season tickets from 93 through some time in the early to mid 2000s, then from there random game packs - anywhere from 3 to 5 games to a full season - depending on what friends wanted to do. Now I have no desire to make the drive - even if I lived on Plains road I'd be hard pressed. This needs to turn around or more and more fans will be alienated.
5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Waltman
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Waltman »

The GW home loss was brutal. Can't shoot free throws and shot 10% from 3 point range against a lousy team. The players get odd minutes in rotation.
3 x
CONNramfan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by CONNramfan »

The GW game pushed me over the fence. 15 point favorite. One of the worst upsets in 34 years of season tickets................Reminded me to the loss to Lubbock Christian be Baron.
4 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Going to every home game, not even a question for me.
Ram1982 and ram1980 are with you.. this is our team regardless.. keep hoping for the change that brings us back to relevance, but hey it's like a date night for this semi retired duo..🍻🍕🏀
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Was considering attending the Dayton game, but I don’t think I can justify the effort required.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Like I said in the game thread, we were offered tickets and feel obligated to go. Not the worst thing to do on a Tuesday evening even though it's a tough watch these days. Plus we live close by.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

I'm in the camp of whose who won't renew if Cox is still here next season, but I've already got the tickets for this year and I just missed out on a whole year of live entertainment thanks to the pandemic, so I'll be there the rest of the way.

Besides, they're going to count me in the attendance number whether I show up or not.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I got the refund based on the uncertainty of Covid rules - as I had missed 10 home games since the age of 3 (minus Baron’s final season when I felt I needed to be a conscientious objector to make my voice heard).

The Brown game 2 years ago really broke me and I feel nothing for this team and haven’t since.

If Cox is back - mask or no mask I will not be. This is full blown endgame Baron.

As a fan of this program, supporting them with your wallets and eyeballs is only bad. You’re only encouraging the bad to continue.

If you look at it as entertainment and only care about having a date night, good for you.

If you want the program to actually get good again and make a change you can’t attend or spend money on them.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I got the refund based on the uncertainty of Covid rules - as I had missed 10 home games since the age of 3 (minus Baron’s final season when I felt I needed to be a conscientious objector to make my voice heard).

The Brown game 2 years ago really broke me and I feel nothing for this team and haven’t since.

If Cox is back - mask or no mask I will not be. This is full blown endgame Baron.

As a fan of this program, supporting them with your wallets and eyeballs is only bad. You’re only encouraging the bad to continue.

If you look at it as entertainment and only care about having a date night, good for you.

If you want the program to actually get good again and make a change you can’t attend or spend money on them.
The money is already spent.. maybe next year it won't be. Who knows.. part of being a fan is taking the good with the bad.. I am sure thorr sees and feels the apathy out there and I hope he acts.. go to DC this year probably not. Renew next year.. time will tell. In the meantime I will cheer the laundry even though I don't love the product.. been doing that since 1976.. maybe I should go back to being a friar fan.. closer to home.. better League.. nah!!
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I got the refund based on the uncertainty of Covid rules - as I had missed 10 home games since the age of 3 (minus Baron’s final season when I felt I needed to be a conscientious objector to make my voice heard).

BlueMan I know you are frustrated, but you shouldn't make a judgement call on fans who decide to attend games.
It is your choice not to go, so leave it at that.
1 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Even though I have season tix, I likely won't go to many more games this season, especially weekdays. Driving from MA an hour each way after working until 5 or 6pm to watch this team is not appealing to me anymore. Even though they'll count my tix in attendance numbers, it'll be hard for Thorr to miss 4 empty seats in the front row of 110. I'll go watch Tammi's girls instead.
6 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I’m with you in terms of I feel nothing for this program and where they stand! I would have been going nuts with the loss we had on Saturday in years past, but this year I am happy in a way because we pull out a one point victory everyone puts their noses in the sand and says a win is a win and we talk NIT. Nothing would it will change if they continue down this direction. I haven’t been to a game this year at the Ryan Center and with both the coach and the current roster with the Mitchell twins I don’t miss it very much.
4 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I've never been a season ticket holder, mostly because I'm a 2 hour drive to URI, so I pick and choose which games I can attend and get my tickets in advance. I've been a pretty consistent donor to the program and I always end up spending $100 in the Ramszone as well as dinner at a local restaurant, so for me its not really a question of will I go or not, I've now reached the point of will I watch on tv or not. Never thought I'd get to this point but here I am.
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Even though I'm on here commenting on this train wreck a lot, I've with a lot of you, in that I won't be attending games until a change is made.

Like Blueman said, it's about as bad as the end of Baron's time here....and that's bad.

If enough people speak with their wallets, Thorr will be forced to move...the MBB program has really helped fund many other athletic programs here, and without that revenue, it will negatively affect those programs...and URI cannot afford that.

That's a double whammy on top of the money lost due to covid.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody22 wrote: 2 years ago Even though I have season tix, I likely won't go to many more games this season, especially weekdays. Driving from MA an hour each way after working until 5 or 6pm to watch this team is not appealing to me anymore. Even though they'll count my tix in attendance numbers, it'll be hard for Thorr to miss 4 empty seats in the front row of 110. I'll go watch Tammi's girls instead.
Exactly how I feel. I live about 70 mins away. No matter what was going on in my life, I ALWAYS made every effort to make all the games. Even when I didn't make any $$, I still figured out how to pay for season tickets. I once had a girl break up with me because I told her I couldn't miss a home game against VCU and I won't be going to her sister's wedding. I still went to all the Baron games because I was younger and would convince myself repeatedly that Baron would figure it out.

This is the first season where I'm missing games and considering not going again.. I hope Thorr makes the tough decision to move on from Cox. Cox is one of the best assistants in the country and I have faith he could go anywhere and succeed in that role.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I have been a season ticketholder for over 25 years...I would try go to all the games at Keaney and The Ryan Center. If I missed a game I would feel so guilty. This year I missed more games then I have been to. I do not feel a connection with the players because they come and go each year. There is no longer a 4 year player. I believe DC has lost the team as Baron did toward the end of his Tour. I do not believe that the MBB program will get back to where it once was because each Coach hired will be looking for the next opportunity as will each player. We are a stepping stone for the Coach and NOW the Players to get to the next level to showcase their abilities and skills....UNFORTUNATELY.....Don't want to be negative Just what I believe. Will be thinking long and hard about renewing season tickets!
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Me and my wife will go. Season ticket holder since 1984. Glutton for punishment.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

BlueMan I know you are frustrated, but you shouldn't make a judgement call on fans who decide to attend games.
I'm most certainly not the arbiter of fan behavior. I frequently fluctuate between the most emotional and irrational, to the most even-keeled and rational.

I am just saying that I know how this program operates internally. They won't make a change if people have the "welp, it's something to do and the money is spent so let's go anyway" philosophy. Of course it's everyones right. We're all fans. We all want to see this program succeed.

I didn't mean it as disparaging. If your end-goal with URI basketball is to just have a place to go in south county in the winter, knock yourselves out the Ryan Center will be there.

But if you want to see this team turn it around and be good/make a coaching change - you can't go to these games.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Yes, the tickets are sold (and counted in the announced game totals) but the athletics department will know the difference between 3000 sold and 1000 attending. That will also impact sales at the RamZone, refreshments, and beers. They'll use that real number to model how screwed they would be next year in terms of ticket sales. Knowing PC is coming to town they'll probably structure a season ticket requirement (then step that down to a mini-plan requirement once the season tix don't sell), but it would be a huge embarrassment to see a mostly black and white crowd at the Ryan Center the first weekend in December.

They'll be looking to see how many people actually put up with this slop fest and weigh that against a $300k buyout or contract extension for Dave Cox. One of the two will have to happen this season. Cox as a true lame duck would be incredibly embarrassing and dumb, but I don't believe our AD would let it come to that. He'll make a decision one way or another.

It's all a numbers game at the end of the day.

TL;DR - if you want to see a coaching change, you shouldn't go to these games. If you don't care about having a good basketball team and will go regardless, have a blast.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

I'm most certainly not the arbiter of fan behavior. I frequently fluctuate between the most emotional and irrational, to the most even-keeled and rational.

I am just saying that I know how this program operates internally. They won't make a change if people have the "welp, it's something to do and the money is spent so let's go anyway" philosophy. Of course it's everyones right. We're all fans. We all want to see this program succeed.

I didn't mean it as disparaging. If your end-goal with URI basketball is to just have a place to go in south county in the winter, knock yourselves out the Ryan Center will be there.

But if you want to see this team turn it around and be good/make a coaching change - you can't go to these games.

Yes, the tickets are sold (and counted in the announced game totals) but the athletics department will know the difference between 3000 sold and 1000 attending. That will also impact sales at the RamZone, refreshments, and beers. They'll use that real number to model how screwed they would be next year in terms of ticket sales. Knowing PC is coming to town they'll probably structure a season ticket requirement (then step that down to a mini-plan requirement once the season tix don't sell), but it would be a huge embarrassment to see a mostly black and white crowd at the Ryan Center the first weekend in December.

They'll be looking to see how many people actually put up with this slop fest and weigh that against a $300k buyout or contract extension for Dave Cox. One of the two will have to happen this season. Cox as a true lame duck would be incredibly embarrassing and dumb, but I don't believe our AD would let it come to that. He'll make a decision one way or another.

TL;DR - if you want to see a coaching change, you shouldn't go to these games. If you don't care about having a good basketball team and will go regardless, have a blast.

Okay, I am very much aware that you will refuse to root for this team until Cox is gone.
That is your prerogative, but I feel it is wrong to condemn fans that still support this team.

By saying that your end game is Cox's dismissal and encouraging fans to stay away, you must be rooting for us to lose all our remaining games.
The end result would justify the means by your own admission.

Again, at this time I have no idea how things will pan out.
Yes, I am very disappointed in our play so far, but that doesn't mean I won't root for them.
I hope we win as many games as possible including the A10T.

Then let the chips fall where they may.
0 x
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

I will be at each home game this year. The good, the bad and the ugly.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Okay, I am very much aware that you will refuse to root for this team until Cox is gone.
That is your prerogative, but I feel it is wrong to condemn fans that still support this team.

By saying that your end game is Cox's dismissal and encouraging fans to stay away, you must be rooting for us to lose all our remaining games.

Yes, I am very disappointed in our play so far, but that doesn't mean I won't root for them.

I’m not condemning anybody. It’s great that some people still want to go.

I’m just making the point that if you are in the camp of wanting a coaching change, going to the games wouldn’t be productive towards that end goal.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I’m just making the point that if you are in the camp of wanting a coaching change, going to the games wouldn’t be productive towards that end goal.
Actually in a way you did, by saying that fans who attend don't care about us having a good basketball team.

Like I said, I am not condemning those that choose not to go, but don't tell the fans that do go, they don't care about our program.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Actually in a way you did, by saying that fans who attend don't care about us having a good basketball team.

Like I said, I am not condemning those that choose not to go, but don't tell the fans that do go, they don't care about our program.
I’m not saying they don’t care about the program - they obviously do. They’re signing up to watch the worst most lifeless basketball we’ve played in a decade. They’re fans. It’s great that some of us still want to show up and take the punishment.

But I am saying if they think the best thing for this program is a coaching change, then them showing up doesn’t help that cause.

Not everyone thinks we need a coaching change. I do. A lot of people do. But not everyone cares about winning. Some fans are like our coach and think game day is about having fun and maybe being able to win. Some people just want to go and watch URI as entertainment no matter the result.

That’s cool. I literally mean that. I’ve accepted that’s a large part of our fanbase.

But if you want the coaching change, the only way you voice that opinion is by not showing up.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I’m not saying they don’t care about the program - they obviously do. They’re signing up to watch the worst most lifeless basketball we’ve played in a decade. They’re fans. It’s great that some of us still want to show up and take the punishment.

But I am saying if they think the best thing for this program is a coaching change, then them showing up doesn’t help that cause.

Not everyone thinks we need a coaching change. I do. A lot of people do. But not everyone cares about winning. Some fans are like our coach and think game day is about having fun and maybe being able to win. Some people just want to go and watch URI as entertainment no matter the result.

That’s cool. I literally mean that. I’ve accepted that’s a large part of our fanbase.

But if you want the coaching change, the only way you voice that opinion is by not showing up.
Or maybe there are still some fans on the fence about this team and just want to root the players on.

It doesn't mean that they aren't passionate about winning, just wanting to see how the rest of the season plays out.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’ve been going since Brendan Malone and I’ll go through David Cox and whoever comes next. A few dozen or even 100 fans from this board not showing up is doing nothing to impede or facilitate a change. The program, more than the present coach, suffers more from that IMO. To each his own.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Since this is my first year of retirement, I got season tickets for the first time now that I have the time to get to all of the games. So, I'll continue to go. If things don't change before next season? We'll see.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I feel you brother about that Brown game. It was right across the street from my alma mater. I had a seat right behind our bench in this great little bandbox of a gym. Then the game started ... and we didn't. Losing to those Ivy toffs hurt worse than the Oregon game.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Since this is my first year of retirement, I got season tickets for the first time now that I have the time to get to all of the games. So, I'll continue to go. If things don't change before next season? We'll see.
Congrats on the retirement! Wished I was retired during the Hurley years so I could have seen those games instead of these.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Never will understand encouraging fans not to go to watch their favorite team play.

Blue Man, you consistently given us the dictionary definition of “fanatic” to justify how you post / act at games, but now you’re claiming you “don’t care” and barely watch some of the games.

I don’t know who you are or how you act at games, but you’re coming off as a fair weather fan, when for years you claim you’re a fanatic.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago

I feel you brother about that Brown game. It was right across the street from my alma mater. I had a seat right behind our bench in this great little bandbox of a gym. Then the game started ... and we didn't. Losing to those Ivy toffs hurt worse than the Oregon game.

…..you seriously don’t think losing to an Ivy League school was worse than losing a game where we would’ve made the Sweet 16 right? Surely you have more common sense than that, or I hope you do.
0 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

CONNramfan wrote: 2 years ago The GW game pushed me over the fence. 15 point favorite. One of the worst upsets in 34 years of season tickets................Reminded me to the loss to Lubbock Christian be Baron.
Wow I haven’t heard the Lubbock Christian disaster brought up in ages.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Never will understand encouraging fans not to go to watch their favorite team play.

Blue Man, you consistently given us the dictionary definition of “fanatic” to justify how you post / act at games, but now you’re claiming you “don’t care” and barely watch some of the games.

I don’t know who you are or how you act at games, but you’re coming off as a fair weather fan, when for years you claim you’re a fanatic.
Really confused about what you and Jersey are confused about. What Blue Man is saying is literally sports 101 shit. Teams absolutely use fan interest as a metric in whether to keep coaches or fire them. Thorr himself cited declining fan interest/attendance/revenue as part of the reason he fired Baron. People vote with their wallets and this athletic administration has said they listen to what wallets say
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Never will understand encouraging fans not to go to watch their favorite team play.

Really confused about what you and Jersey are confused about. What Blue Man is saying is literally sports 101 shit. Teams absolutely use fan interest as a metric in whether to keep coaches or fire them. Thorr himself cited declining fan interest/attendance/revenue as part of the reason he fired Baron. People vote with their wallets and this athletic administration has said they listen to what wallets say
I get that this fan base isn’t full of actual sports fans, but it’s wild to me how basic statements like this go over people’s heads.

Are jets/lions fans not fans when midway through a season that is a lost cause they’re rooting to lose for the #1 pick?

They’re not doing that because they want to lose forever. They want a change and the hope that they’ll be good someday.

This is the same thing.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I get that this fan base isn’t full of actual sports fans, but it’s wild to me how basic statements like this go over people’s heads.

Are jets/lions fans not fans when midway through a season that is a lost cause they’re rooting to lose for the #1 pick?

They’re not doing that because they want to lose forever. They want a change and the hope that they’ll be good someday.

This is the same thing.
It’s wild to me you think I’m not an actual sports fan because I want to continue going to watch games if my Alma mater / favorite sports team.
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

This is the same thing.
It’s wild to me you think I’m not an actual sports fan because I want to continue going to watch games if my Alma mater / favorite sports team.
No it’s wild to me that you’re questioning the notion/connection of not going to these games and wanting the team to be good.

It’s great you haven’t been beaten down by this team yet. I’m legitimately jealous.

But the worst thing for this program is 20-11 (beating Q4/Q3 teams) with good attendance this year because it means an extension for Cox.

I want my favorite team/Alma mater to be good. We will not be under this current coach. So yes, for the betterment of my favorite team/Alma mater I want empty stands and losses so we can be good again.

You might be too young to have been emotionally invested in Baron-level mediocrity - but let me tell you, one year of suck is better than endlessly being better than the bottom but not ever competing for an NCAA 2nd weekend, bid or A10 title…ya know that “bar” we were sold 4 years ago.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

One of the worst things a fan can do is automatically write a check each season- regardless of a team's situation. A complacent fan leads to a complacent program. I did not renew this season mainly because I did not like the direction that things were going. Had the team proved me wrong I would have happily purchased tickets in the future. My guess is that a good portion of the season tickets that don't get renewed don't get replaced by new customers. Unless the program is rolling along, fans need to use their season ticket $ as 1 year "prove it" contracts.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This is the same thing.
No it’s wild to me that you’re questioning the notion/connection of not going to these games and wanting the team to be good.

It’s great you haven’t been beaten down by this team yet. I’m legitimately jealous.

But the worst thing for this program is 20-11 (beating Q4/Q3 teams) with good attendance this year because it means an extension for Cox.

I want my favorite team/Alma mater to be good. We will not be under this current coach. So yes, for the betterment of my favorite team/Alma mater I want empty stands and losses so we can be good again.

You might be too young to have been emotionally invested in Baron-level mediocrity - but let me tell you, one year of suck is better than endlessly being better than the bottom but not ever competing for an NCAA 2nd weekend, bid or A10 title…ya know that “bar” we were sold 4 years ago.

I agree and have told my friends, "watch, we'll win 20ish games, people will think that's a good benchmark, and Cox will get extended for two more years and we'll be stuck like this for a little while longer."

I'm 30, and remember all the way back to the Keaney days, crying all the way home at 7 years old after watching Stanford come back on us.

I completely understand the other side (your side) but I'll be going to home games and watching every road game I can.

This is a true case of to each is own.
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I agree and have told my friends, "watch, we'll win 20ish games, people will think that's a good benchmark, and Cox will get extended for two more years and we'll be stuck like this for a little while longer."

I'm 30, and remember all the way back to the Keaney days, crying all the way home at 7 years old after watching Stanford come back on us.

I completely understand the other side (your side) but I'll be going to home games and watching every road game I can.

Ok lol so we understand each other.

I’m trying to avoid your above scenario.

The “people” who think 20 wins are a good benchmark are the people who go to these games complacent and happy to be there.

The only way that the athletics department knows that people aren’t happy with 20 wins is by empty seats.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You don't need to give me a lesson in sports 101.

I am well aware that you, BlueMan, and a couple of others would prefer us to lose every game going forward just to rid us of Cox.

If somehow this team does go on a run, and makes it to the finals of the A10T, you two and maybe a couple of others will root against us to win.
After all, you feel "the end justifies the means".

As I said, I will continue to root for this team, and see how things unfold.

I trust Thorr and feel he will make the best decision for our program.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I am well aware that you, BlueMan, and a couple of others would prefer us to lose every game going forward just to rid us of Cox.

If somehow this team does go on a run, and makes it to the finals of the A10T, you two and maybe a couple of others will root against us to win.

Exactly. I don’t understand why these are mutually exclusive options? You should be able to root for and support this team, while likely having expectations things aren’t trending in the right direction and change is inevitable.

If your AD can’t see through the bullshit of an inflated win total, lack of fan interest (even if it’s not immediately -50% ticket sales) and program cohesiveness than your AD is a bigger problem than your Coach
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

You guys understand that if there are fans in the stands spending money than the athletics department won’t make the financial investment to buy out the coach right?

Like AD’s aren’t fans. They’re GMs. They go off of numbers.

Because if URI wins 20 games and fires the coach, to an outsider that’s a red flag. That will trim down coaching candidates thinking that URI’s expectations are out of whack.

If people are still showing up they’ll ride the Cox train a little bit more.

And because PC comes in next year, ticket sales will increase automatically.

So if we win 20 games this year with fans in the stands, and everyone just “hopes” the athletic department will somehow “make the right decision” from a fan perspective - you’ll be wrong.

We’ll sign up for at minimum 2-3 more years of this until we get to 5 win territory like Baron.

“Covid” will be scapegoated as an excuse and we’ll be right back here for the next few seasons. Then with PC mini plans they’ll say “look people are coming to games” while we continue this pattern.

If you think Cox is the right guy for the job? Great. Cheer on and show up.

But if you think there needs to be a coaching change, showing up with anything but a paper bag on your head will not help make that happen.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Would like to be clear as well, I’ll root for an NCAA appearance when we get to DC. That’s still the end goal.

An at large bid is dead. There is no point in rooting for that to happen. But it would be nice when we do fall short of our NCAA goals, that we’ll have an obviously terrible record and be able to move on to a new coach.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Ok lol so we understand each other.

I’m trying to avoid your above scenario.

The “people” who think 20 wins are a good benchmark are the people who go to these games complacent and happy to be there.

The only way that the athletics department knows that people aren’t happy with 20 wins is by empty seats.
That's not entirely true. You can have people that go to the games and are not complacent. They've spent the money and it's an event, something to do. I would bet that a lot of the older crowd/season ticket holders in fact are retired and it's especially viewed by them as something they do as part of their retirement/routine. I know the people we attend with fit this description - they definitely see the possibility of Cox not being renewed. I don't think you can put everyone in the same bucket. We can agree to disagree on that. Can't be too much of a fair-weather fan. It's still Rhody hoops.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thorr's stated goals may have changed by now.

They could have gone from top of the A10 and NCAA tourney bids, to have fun and maybe pull out a win.

If that's the case then we are all doomed.

I'm only being half serious here.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don't think Thorr needs a boycott from 20-30 fans to signal that things aren't where they once were. It's quite clear the enthusiasm and energy around the program has waned. The attendance has dipped. The losses have piled up. The program building recruits aren't coming in. If you trust the guy knows what he's doing (which I do) then the whims of a few dozen fans isn't going to inform his decision.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Let’s be honest in that the rest of these games are meaningless. It doesn’t matter if they win or lose tonight and might in fact be worse if they keep sneaking out wins against bad competition as Cox will be back. The next important game will be the A-10 tournament. This is there not chance. I’m not one that cares about tournaments like the CBI. I think also the fact that players like the twins are unlikable also makes it hard to be into this team.
2 x