Men's Basketball's social media problems

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Men's Basketball's social media problems

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I've noticed that all the social media accounts that have ever been connected to our men's basketball are just flat out uninspiring.

We beat UMass several hours ago and the instagram page hasn't even posted about it.

WE JUST BEAT A RIVAL ON THE ROAD

Crickets

How can we be so inept? I mean there's no personality, no energy, just flat out apathetic.

The women's basketball team? The football team? Fantastic!

They have cool edits, personality and LIFE.

This stuff is really important if you're trying to engage with a fanbase and most importantly engage with recruiting.

Men's basketball is the only thing that really matters here....my goodness step up.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Men's Basketball's social media problems

Unread post by ramster »

Agree,
Football and WBB with solid media. Baseball too.
Women's Softball is good as well - and will get even better with their new Head Coach and future program success. Exciting times ahead.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The success of MBB makes Thorr's decision to kill recruiting by not extending Cox look bad. Thorr will continue to say nice things about Cox but the actions of the Athletic Dept tell you what is really going on.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago The success of MBB makes Thorr's decision to kill recruiting by not extending Cox look bad. Thorr will continue to say nice things about Cox but the actions of the Athletic Dept tell you what is really going on.
What is this success you speak of?
3 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago The success of MBB makes Thorr's decision to kill recruiting by not extending Cox look bad. Thorr will continue to say nice things about Cox but the actions of the Athletic Dept tell you what is really going on.
Does "workin' that portal" count as recruiting? Or, is that a separate thing?
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea that’s odd. Still nothing.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody lost the goat of social media Anthony Garro, former FB player, who was behind our awesome social content few years ago. He’s now at Oregon one of the best brands in college sports which tells you something about his skills. Agree that this year our content has been lacking.

Can we also talk about our decision to have kids call our TV games on ESPN+. That reeks of small time. No offense to any of them they just aren’t experienced enough.
4 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I’ve also noticed that most other A-10 teams have video highlights both during and after the game (dunks, blocks, big threes, etc.). URI does that occasionally but not at the frequency of other teams in the A-10.

ETA: UMass tweeted five in-game video clips yesterday in a game they were losing by double digits for the majority. Rhody didn’t post any videos. I know the game was in Amherst which may have something to do with it, but still.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Rhody lost the goat of social media Anthony Garro, former FB player, who was behind our awesome social content few years ago. He’s now at Oregon one of the best brands in college sports which tells you something about his skills. Agree that this year our content has been lacking.

Can we also talk about our decision to have kids call our TV games on ESPN+. That reeks of small time. No offense to any of them they just aren’t experienced enough.
Oh now that is embarrassing. Not only are they kids, but they couldn't be less talented at doing color commentary if they were mute...

What if we were a ranked undefeated team right now? Would we still be trottin these 19 year old kids looking for extra credit?
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Stone is good on the play by play but please pair him with someone experienced - it will help him and make for a better broadcast. Disano and Abu are two no brainers out there that immediately would improve the TV product. WRIU is where the kids work out the kinks and gain valuable experience. The last game (SJU) was painful to listen to.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Stone is good on the play by play but please pair him with someone experienced - it will help him and make for a better broadcast. Disano and Abu are two no brainers out there that immediately would improve the TV product. WRIU is where the kids work out the kinks and gain valuable experience. The last game (SJU) was painful to listen to.
I guess we don't wanna pay Abu or Chris?

Those kids need to take theatre and improve classes for years to work out those kinks
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago I guess we don't wanna pay Abu or Chris?
As with most things at URI, this is the issue right here. A lack of resources continue to hold us back in most areas. I've been harping on this since the day Dan announced he was leaving, but I'll say it again...this place needs a guy like him who is going to constantly demand the best out of every single person that touches this program on a daily basis, even in the tiniest of ways. Otherwise we are too eager to fall back in to the traps of just doing enough to get by. In my opinion this has been an issue for at least the last 20 years or so, and we had a glimpse of what can happen when everyone is pushed to be better.
7 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Can we also talk about our decision to have kids call our TV games on ESPN+. That reeks of small time. No offense to any of them they just aren’t experienced enough.
In fairness to the kids, many of the so-called professional announcers suck out loud.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody Instagram just posted a graphic showing the W and final score about an hour ago.

No in game updates, nothing post game.

Absolutely inexcusable to wait until now to post something.
5 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
As with most things at URI, this is the issue right here. A lack of resources continue to hold us back in most areas. I've been harping on this since the day Dan announced he was leaving, but I'll say it again...this place needs a guy like him who is going to constantly demand the best out of every single person that touches this program on a daily basis, even in the tiniest of ways. Otherwise we are too eager to fall back in to the traps of just doing enough to get by. In my opinion this has been an issue for at least the last 20 years or so, and we had a glimpse of what can happen when everyone is pushed to be better.
Sometimes it’s a lack of resources. Sometimes it’s a lack of ambition. I can’t imagine contracting Chris or Abu for 10-12 home games to do professional color commentary is an unaffordable luxury.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago I've noticed that all the social media accounts that have ever been connected to our men's basketball are just flat out uninspiring.

We beat UMass several hours ago and the instagram page hasn't even posted about it.

WE JUST BEAT A RIVAL ON THE ROAD

Crickets

How can we be so inept? I mean there's no personality, no energy, just flat out apathetic.

The women's basketball team? The football team? Fantastic!

They have cool edits, personality and LIFE.

This stuff is really important if you're trying to engage with a fanbase and most importantly engage with recruiting.

Men's basketball is the only thing that really matters here....my goodness step up.
The worst part is this is media you can actually control. You can't demand coverage from the ProJo or the Independent, but you can create and send out as much content as your heart desires on these platforms. That we don't is a giant unforced error
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Rhody lost the goat of social media Anthony Garro, former FB player, who was behind our awesome social content few years ago. He’s now at Oregon one of the best brands in college sports which tells you something about his skills. Agree that this year our content has been lacking.

Oh now that is embarrassing. Not only are they kids, but they couldn't be less talented at doing color commentary if they were mute...

What if we were a ranked undefeated team right now? Would we still be trottin these 19 year old kids looking for extra credit?
No, we'd be the ESPN2 Friday Night game of the week again
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Sometimes it’s a lack of resources. Sometimes it’s a lack of ambition. I can’t imagine contracting Chris or Abu for 10-12 home games to do professional color commentary is an unaffordable luxury.
Yeah absolutely, and often times one leads to the other, and vice versa.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Stone is good on the play by play but please pair him with someone experienced - it will help him and make for a better broadcast. Disano and Abu are two no brainers out there that immediately would improve the TV product. WRIU is where the kids work out the kinks and gain valuable experience. The last game (SJU) was painful to listen to.
Right or wrong, I can see why we don't care about our ESPN+ games and use students on them. It gives them experience, and frankly the athletic department probably doesn't care either A. about fans sitting at home watching on TV instead of going to games, and B. fans of other teams.

I assume we're getting little to no ad revenue for these ESPN+ games and any revenue we do get won't be based on quality of broadcast, so why should we pay people to work with Stone and why do we care about improving an internet stream? The argument for would be that "it looks smalltime", but the fact these games are on an internet stream instead of national television shows that the product is already smalltime
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Rhody Instagram just posted a graphic showing the W and final score about an hour ago.

No in game updates, nothing post game.

Absolutely inexcusable to wait until now to post something.
Better late than never
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Right or wrong, I can see why we don't care about our ESPN+ games and use students on them. It gives them experience, and frankly the athletic department probably doesn't care either A. about fans sitting at home watching on TV instead of going to games, and B. fans of other teams.

I assume we're getting little to no ad revenue for these ESPN+ games and any revenue we do get won't be based on quality of broadcast, so why should we pay people to work with Stone and why do we care about improving an internet stream? The argument for would be that "it looks smalltime", but the fact these games are on an internet stream instead of national television shows that the product is already smalltime
The fanbse deserves better

We still aren't that far removed from being nationally ranked and winning games in the tournament

We're acting like we're central commecticut state with this broadcasting shit

At least find a student that can talk

How about we send someone from Keany Blue? 😄
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Chris DiSano has been doing radio in place of Don Kaull.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

We still aren't that far removed from being nationally ranked and winning games in the tournament

Two questions:
-- How many people watch our games on ESPN+?
-- How many people watch games because of the announcers?
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I hope so!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Uh because you are a state school with an alumni base spread all over the region and world and for most of them the streaming/TV product is how they would enjoy a game. This is 2021 not Mark Cuban streaming games from his dorm room yet here we are. With a little effort it wouldn’t be hard to get it sponsored. And again the incremental cost for a more professional broadcast is not steep. Unfortunately how you think about it is exactly how folks at the school prob do which is why we have what we have. I wonder if Dayton or VCU have students call their ESPN+ games?
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago

Two questions:
-- How many people watch our games on ESPN+?
-- How many people watch games because of the announcers?
No clue on the first question but I assume any out of state posters on this board watch it quite a bit. Watch because of the announcers? Not sure. But I’m dam sure a game called by Ian Eagle is better than one called by John Rooke.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Uh because you are a state school with an alumni base spread all over the region and world and for most of them the streaming/TV product is how they would enjoy a game. This is 2021 not Mark Cuban streaming games from his dorm room yet here we are. With a little effort it wouldn’t be hard to get it sponsored. And again the incremental cost for a more professional broadcast is not steep. Unfortunately how you think about it is exactly how folks at the school prob do which is why we have what we have. I wonder if Dayton or VCU have students call their ESPN+ games?
Wasn't the game on USA?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Wasn't the game on USA?
Yesterday was. St Joes is the game in referencing. And it’s also the point you are talking about prob 8-10 games a season not covered by national broadcast. The expense is minimal to upgrade the experience.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI Athletics is in a real revenue squeeze because of Covid. Thorr reallocated money from MBB for other operational and personnel needs when Cox was hired that is not immediately retrievable. There is no additional money available to extend Cox, buy him out, pay more for a replacement or hire staff for social media.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Great point. I think back 10-15 years ago, I enjoyed Don and Abu on the call.
Chris has been joining Steve on the radio call. For the St. Joe's game, I muted the TV and synced up the radio call.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
Chris has been joining Steve on the radio call. For the St. Joe's game, I muted the TV and synced up the radio call.
I was thinking about doing that but figured there was a lag between radio and stream.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
I was thinking about doing that but figured there was a lag between radio and stream.
Had the stream on my firestick and just paused it until the radio broadcast caught up.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Listened to Stone and Shane Donaldson with the USA sound turned off. Stone's play-by-play made it easy to sync the two (unlike that of other radiocasters who shall remain nameless).
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago URI Athletics is in a real revenue squeeze because of Covid. Thorr reallocated money from MBB for other operational and personnel needs when Cox was hired that is not immediately retrievable. There is no additional money available to extend Cox, buy him out, pay more for a replacement or hire staff for social media.
If you are going to just make things up, can you at least make it funny and interesting?
5 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Let’s not dump on the student and instead lay the blame on the person that made the decision.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I want the highest quality broadcast as much as the next person

But i also think a fair point that has been made is there’s no incremental lift of audience tuning in to watch us on ESPN+ because they heard we have a more qualified broadcast team tonight
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago I want the highest quality broadcast as much as the next person

But i also think a fair point that has been made is there’s no incremental lift of audience tuning in to watch us on ESPN+ because they heard we have a more qualified broadcast team tonight
I agree that the broadcast team probably doesn't determine whether someone tunes in or not. But, it probably effects for some fans whether they keep listening or just mute the game, and if they mute the game, then they're not hearing the advertisements you want them to.

The other point I'd make - This is a cost decision that's more in the low to mid-hundreds per game, not like $500,000 per season. Like over the years, I've enjoyed a wide variety of broadcasters for URI games, but nobody is getting rich off this. I don't know the exact rate, but I'm sure even the "home" guys are getting paid a couple hundred a game, not anything excessive. I think using WRIU students should always be a "last resort" kind of thing, and it's hard to believe they can't find someone more professional willing to pick up a couple hundred here and there.
2 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago I want the highest quality broadcast as much as the next person

I agree that the broadcast team probably doesn't determine whether someone tunes in or not. But, it probably effects for some fans whether they keep listening or just mute the game, and if they mute the game, then they're not hearing the advertisements you want them to.

The other point I'd make - This is a cost decision that's more in the low to mid-hundreds per game, not like $500,000 per season. Like over the years, I've enjoyed a wide variety of broadcasters for URI games, but nobody is getting rich off this. I don't know the exact rate, but I'm sure even the "home" guys are getting paid a couple hundred a game, not anything excessive. I think using WRIU students should always be a "last resort" kind of thing, and it's hard to believe they can't find someone more professional willing to pick up a couple hundred here and there.
To me it’s about building a culture of excellence in EVERYTHING that you do as a program. From the coaching staff and players, down to the ball boy/girl wiping the sweat off the floor. It all matters.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

How you do anything is how you do everything.
4 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I really can't say that I enjoyed the USA broadcast any better than our broadcast. Lerner belongs in golf, and his color commentator was terrible and spent most of the game cheering on the UMass team.
As someone else pointed out let's not blame the student for the school's failure.
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

this is why we can't have nice things.
0 x
:lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think we do have nice things
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Again, I'm not necessarily saying I agree with our approach, and you bring up a good point about alumni spread over the country, I'm just saying the thought process that probably brought us to this place
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Wasn't the game on USA?
Yesterday was. St Joes is the game in referencing. And it’s also the point you are talking about prob 8-10 games a season not covered by national broadcast. The expense is minimal to upgrade the experience.
The expense is minimal but the return on investment is zero
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago

Let’s not dump on the student and instead lay the blame on the person that made the decision.
This is well said. The things that have been said about her and the pile on has been disgusting
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

That is true about the advertisements to an extent, but A. they can't tell the people that are watching with sound vs. on mute and as long as the visual is up there you're still getting the ad out and B. Are we getting any of the ad revenue? It seems like the ad money is going to ESPN and not the schools. Yes, indirectly we would get it because more eyeballs equal a more valuable property, which equals higher rights fees, but then you're just circling back to point a
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is well said. The things that have been said about her and the pile on has been disgusting
Absolutely right. She is a URI Student. I believe only a Sophomore. Would be nice of the moderators would remove those posts.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

While on this topic...How about Dan Yorke? He is uninspiring as well.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

shitting on college kids who are studying communications, sports communication, broadcasting, production, ect, trying to get their own game tape to advance their careers. Stay classy, KB.

dickheads.
1 x
:lol:
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Absolutely right. She is a URI Student. I believe only a Sophomore. Would be nice of the moderators would remove those posts.
I support this idea of removal. Really low picking on a student. I would not be happy if it was my daughter and came across this.
1 x