Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by PCFriars »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago
PCFriars wrote: 3 months ago I believe Xavier remains a significant obstacle to the BE adding Dayton. If they were to expand I think Saint Louis would be the most likely candidate.
Hard to believe that SLU would move the needle enough for the BE.
Besides most of the SLU fans aren't happy with Travis Ford.
Oh I don’t disagree with you. SLU is pretty underwhelming. But the issue is that there isn’t really any basketball-centric school that does move the needle besides Gonzaga, and I just can’t see that happening.
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Haha, Backroads beat me by mere seconds. Big news.

Looking forward to hearing from RF1 who will definitely have a good take.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
mainejeff2
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by mainejeff2 »

URI might have some decisions to make. Any chance of an FBS jump into the MAC as a travel partner for UMass and MAC gets solid NE presence with 2 members?
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I'd imagine Charleston is on speed dial as a replacement or they keep it to 14.

Selfishly, I'd love to see them add Belmont (Nashville). Crazy how much weight Football has that they are downgrading basketball conference. Interesting times...
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Backroads wrote: 2 months ago
UMass needed to commit to an all sports conference once they decided they would be FBS and were going to stay there even after how bad it's been. I can't believe they stayed this long.

The MAC is a much better option for them than the rumored move to Conference USA. Hopefully we can keep them on the schedule if not every year than most years
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

This is crazy - it would have been better if they could have been a football only school. It will be a step down for hoops. I wonder how Frank Martin will take it?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

mainejeff2 wrote: 2 months ago URI might have some decisions to make. Any chance of an FBS jump into the MAC as a travel partner for UMass and MAC gets solid NE presence with 2 members?
I'd love to see it, but I can't imagine we would actually do it. We're going to keep chugging along in FCS/Atlantic 10 and hope for the best while everything crumbles around us
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Section104 wrote: 2 months ago I'd imagine Charleston is on speed dial as a replacement or they keep it to 14.

Selfishly, I'd love to see them add Belmont (Nashville). Crazy how much weight Football has that they are downgrading basketball conference. Interesting times...
No more schools! We already have too many
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 2 months ago This is crazy - it would have been better if they could have been a football only school. It will be a step down for hoops. I wonder how Frank Martin will take it?
What conference was going to take them as a football only school? UMass has been trying that play for a decade and no one was biting.

Yes, it's going to be a step down for basketball, but not as big as it would have been before. Considering football rules everything in college sports, UMass has two tournaments without Calipari or the players he recruited, and the A10 is historically weak and this move makes all of the sense in the world
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow, enjoy being irrelevant in the MAC I guess. I do hope we're able to keep them as an annual basketball matchup.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Wtf
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 months ago
This shouldn't come as a shock; it has been rumored for a while and it makes sense for them.

Not sure what the A10 will do if anything, but Bernie did say that the council will not want to bring in any programs unless they will add value to the conference.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 months ago Haha, Backroads beat me by mere seconds. Big news.

Looking forward to hearing from RF1 who will definitely have a good take.
If true, it is a better move to the MAC for UMass than if it had gone to the really far flung CUSA.

While this will solve their football scheduling issues, it won't really elevate the program and will not help other UMass sports. I would think the sport that this move will hurt most is men's basketball. Fans in MA are not going to get excited seeing MAC teams visit the Mullins Center.

I have no issue in playing UMass in men's hoops from time to time in a H&H series. Given we are already committed to such series annually with both PC and Brown, I do not think it should be an annual event with UMass as we would be locked into too many road games. Something like four to six meetings a decade would suit me.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Not good for Rhody. The departure of UMass further isolates URI in the A-10 from both a geography and institution type perspective.
Last edited by RF1 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Our home games against UMass are always at the top of attendance for our conference games as well.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago Our home games against UMass are always at the top of attendance for our conference games as well.
Ideally this is why we play them every year, with our home game being on the years we play at PC, so we have an out of conference game every year that draws and you can build mini plans around
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I don't see this as the end game for UMass, just a path for them.
I have a feeling this is a steppingstone for them to eventually get an invite to the AAC.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago
I have a feeling this is a steppingstone for them to eventually get an invite to the AAC.
I agree. Then again, if they had moved all of their sports to the MAC 10 years ago when they were invited they might already be in the AAC
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago
I agree. Then again, if they had moved all of their sports to the MAC 10 years ago when they were invited they might already be in the AAC
Yep exactly 02, several of their fans have also questioned that.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago Our home games against UMass are always at the top of attendance for our conference games as well.
Ideally this is why we play them every year, with our home game being on the years we play at PC, so we have an out of conference game every year that draws and you can build mini plans around

I disagree. We are already locked into an annual H&H with both PC and Brown. URI has played just two true road games the past two seasons and that was with no trips to Brown due to a scheduling quirk. If this pattern were to continue and UMass became an annual game, we would only have one other road opponent (outside of PC, Brown, and Umass) every two years.

I am not against frequently seeing UMass on the schedule. I however do not think it need be every year. Something like four to six meetings per decade would suit me.
Last edited by RF1 2 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
DuneClub
Abdul Fox

Unread post by DuneClub »

It doesn't sound like good move. However you have to consider they have given this a long thought process. It's been a few years in the making.
If it ends up sucking all their top people should get they axe.

This guy cares. We'll see what he says when had the ramifications gone over a bit: https://twitter.com/curryhickssage?lang=en
In the mean time, I wonder if they owe the A-10 any buyout cash?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago

I disagree. We are already locked into an H&H with both PC and Brown. URI has played just two true road games the past two seasons and that was with no trips to Brown due to a scheduling quirk. If this pattern were to continue and UMass became an annual game, we would only have one other road opponent (outside of PC, Brown, and Umass) every two years.

I am not against to frequently seeing UMass on the schedule. I however do not think it need be every year. Something like four to six meeting per decade would suit me.
Boo! Play the rival every year. Don’t let realignment kill rivalries!
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 months ago

I disagree. We are already locked into an H&H with both PC and Brown. URI has played just two true road games the past two seasons and that was with no trips to Brown due to a scheduling quirk. If this pattern were to continue and UMass became an annual game, we would only have one other road opponent (outside of PC, Brown, and Umass) every two years.

I am not against to frequently seeing UMass on the schedule. I however do not think it need be every year. Something like four to six meeting per decade would suit me.
Boo! Play the rival every year. Don’t let realignment kill rivalries!

It would not be URI killing the rivalry. It is UMass that is killing two games each season with URI.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The people that run the UMass NIL Collective were already posting on their forum against an all sports move to CUSA. The collective seems mostly associated with the basketball program. I cannot imagine they will be happy with men's basketball going to the MAC.

UMass fans should really try to make the A-10 tournament in Brooklyn this March as it will be the last chance for a long time to take in a men's conference tourney within 500 miles of MA. The A-10 is in DC in 2025 and future MAC Tournaments will be out in the midwest (usually in OH and MI).
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I disagree. We are already locked into an annual H&H with both PC and Brown. URI has played just two true road games the past two seasons and that was with no trips to Brown due to a scheduling quirk. If this pattern were to continue and UMass became an annual game, we would only have one other road opponent (outside of PC, Brown, and Umass) every two years.

Look at how bad our home schedule was this year. The only interesting team on there was UMass due to the rivalry factor. Now imagine that in a few years, but with no UMass.

I'm not advocating for getting rid of the Brown series, but if we have to choose between Brown every year and UMass most years or UMass every year and Brown most years, I'm choosing the UMass every year option
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago Look at how bad our home schedule was this year. The only interesting team on there was UMass due to the rivalry factor. Now imagine that in a few years, but with no UMass.

The home games with UMass are not the problem. The issue would be having offset it with a road game every other year. As I mentioned previously, URI has only played two true road games the past couple of seasons. We already have one road game per season committed each year to either PC or Brown.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Memo to A-10 Commissioner. no more schools.
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

That would kind of require them to stop stepping on their own dicks long enough for that to happen. They've made one NCAA tournament in 25 years, and only had five seasons with 20+ wins, and their football program is awful. I realize that life as an FBS independent is tough, but I don't think them joining a conference magically erases the issues they have with a small talent pool for D-I football in their geographic region.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The UMass move to the MAC for all sports is another sign of how far A-10 men's basketball has fallen. UMass chose not to join the MAC for all sports back in or around 2015 when it was forced to decide on all in or nothing. Back then the A-10 was in a stronger position sending 3 or more teams to the NCAA Tournament. The league is today lucky to get two teams (last time it had more was 2018). I would think that UMass valued membership in the A-10 more several years ago. UMass now reversing course and departing the A-10 is a tacit acknowledgement that the A-10 no longer provides the same value and may not do so again.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago Memo to A-10 Commissioner. no more schools.
Agreed. The A-10 pie has been shrinking in size over the last few years and there are already too many mouths to feed.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

UMass is going to destroy their athletic department chasing a level of football they have ZERO business being a part of.

They are essentially saying "screw being relevant in the only sport we have ever and could ever be relevant in"

So they can play in the MAC!? 😂

Now at their current talent level they could easily win that conference year in and year out, but you can kiss at large berths goodbye.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago The UMass move to the MAC for all sports is another sign of how far A-10 men's basketball has fallen. UMass chose not to join the MAC for all sports back in or around 2015 when it was forced to decide on all in or nothing. Back then the A-10 was in a stronger position sending 3 or more teams to the NCAA Tournament. The league is today lucky to get two teams (last time it had more was 2018). I would think that UMass valued membership in the A-10 more several years ago. UMass now reversing course and departing the A-10 is a tacit acknowledgement that the A-10 no longer provides the same value and may not do so again.
I'm not sure I really see it that way. I don't think they are actually putting much thought about the A-10 in to this decision at all, and that's part of the problem. They are only thinking about football and don't really care about the rest.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago Memo to A-10 Commissioner. no more schools.
Agreed. The A-10 pie has been shrinking in size over the last few years and there are already too many mouths to feed.
Better off sending that memo to Thorr and Parlange, if those are your feelings.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Section104 wrote: 2 months ago I'd imagine Charleston is on speed dial as a replacement or they keep it to 14.

104, I would prefer the A10 stay put and not seek a replacement for UMass.

My gut says the A10 will add a team, unfortunately.

I am not broken up about losing UMass. Football rules the roost, unfortunately, in college athletics. Plus I am sure we will still play them in basketball periodically.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow big news !

They can’t be happy with the MAC for hoops instead of the A10

I would like to keep playing UMass in the OOC , doesn’t have to be every year though
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 months ago This is crazy - it would have been better if they could have been a football only school. It will be a step down for hoops. I wonder how Frank Martin will take it?
Maybe FM will stick with it and continue to try to elevate the program. If he can elevate the bb program to be a regular title contender in the new conference then that is good for him, UMass and the MAC.

He isn’t a spring chicken, however. Does he have enough runway left to build UMass into a Dayton or VCU of the MAC ? I really don’t know.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

UMass has made a bad decision that may only help football, but will hurt every other program they offer, especially the other marquee program, MBB. UMass touts itself as the state's flagship institution and will join a conference dominated by state schools, none of which are flagships for their respective states. Only Ohio comes close in prestige to UMass. The 12 school MAC overall attendance picture is grim with 4 schools drawing less than 2000 per game and another 5 schools drawing less than 3000, Even with four bad season to its back, current URI attendance would place it near the top in the MAC. The leader is Ohio at 4,613. Geographically the closest school is about 400 miles away and the furthest is about a 1000 miles, most are not easy locations to get to.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Top of the MAC for hoops sucks! But honestly those teams are not really worse than 6 to 15 in the A10. I think this works out well for UMass who should now compete for a bid every year. Who cares how you get to the tournament, you get there and do some damage recruits will come.

Attendance concerns? UMass basketball attendance is terrible. I took a UMass fan to the RYan center last year and he was super impressed with a half full arena.

Marquee institutions - like Duquesne or Davidson are really amazing institutions?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 2 months ago UMass has made a bad decision that may only help football, but will hurt every other program they offer, especially the other marquee program, MBB. UMass touts itself as the state's flagship institution and will join a conference dominated by state schools, none of which are flagships for their respective states. Only Ohio comes close in prestige to UMass. The 12 school MAC overall attendance picture is grim with 4 schools drawing less than 2000 per game and another 5 schools drawing less than 3000, Even with four bad season to its back, current URI attendance would place it near the top in the MAC. The leader is Ohio at 4,613. Geographically the closest school is about 400 miles away and the furthest is about a 1000 miles, most are not easy locations to get to.
I don't think UMass went into this blindly, I am sure it was well thought out on their part.
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Not going to say this is not disappointing news. Not surprising and I think the A10 expected this which is why they added a 15th school. UMass has voted to try to save their football program with this move. Not a really a good fit academically with any of these schools on first blush, or geographically. But hey whatever we will see how it plays out for them not that I care.

We have to get our shit together in the A10. Another disastrous season for us in Men's hoops has led me to question the entire direction of this program. I have little faith in the current coach for a number of reasons that I posted the last time I posted which was after the Brown game. We are literally the worse team in the A10 in Archie's second year (maybe GW). Oh St. Louis you say, I predict we lose to them at home on Saturday, more talented and they actually play hard which our team refuses to do. Never seen such lack of effort on the court in all my years of watching Rhody hoops. The talent level, which is not great, is much higher than the effort level which is pathetic. Not much energy on the bench either, it has a been a clusterf all year. Second straight year we are materially worse in the last month of the year than the first. Is that a sign of a well coached team? Asking for a friend.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

uMass plays hoops in a hockey rink. They are now a hockey school first. Basketball is a low priority. Frank Martin must be pissed. Expect he’ll be looking for a life raft.

I hate uMass hoops but it’s a love to hate them. One of our most ancient and important basketball rivals to the MAC. This is bad new for URI hoops.

I’m very disappointed.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 months ago uMass plays hoops in a hockey rink. They are now a hockey school first. Basketball is a low priority. Frank Martin must be pissed. Expect he’ll be looking for a life raft.

I hate uMass hoops but it’s a love to hate them. One of our most ancient and important basketball rivals to the MAC. This is bad new for URI hoops.

I’m very disappointed.
Obviously they are now a football school first.
0 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

UMass superfan thread for context. Click the tweet to read it all.

0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 2 months ago uMass plays hoops in a hockey rink. They are now a hockey school first. Basketball is a low priority. Frank Martin must be pissed. Expect he’ll be looking for a life raft.

I’m very disappointed.
Obviously they are now a football school first.
Love those dec. 23rd and 27th bowl games in shreveport and Memphis!!!
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Perhaps you can look at the addition of Loyola in a different light now. I don't know this but you can see it as a proactive move by the A10...as they had to know that UMASS's eyes were continually looking for a home for their football program (and consequently their entire athletic department would have to go with them).

So with the UMASS departure, now the A10 would be back at a more even/round number of 14 schools. And by adding Loyola, they added a school that is strictly a basketball school first...and don't have to worry about a UMASS or a Delaware not being committed to what the A10 was founded on.

Yes, I'm one who liked the old geographical rivalries of schools. But that train has long left the station. There is no attachment to rivalries, geography, history, or anything like that. If you want to be 1A football, then go get on that train. If you want to be a basketball-centered school that has football too as part of your athletic department, then there's a train for that too. And URI is on it. I'm not saying that's good or bad but that is the college sports landscape in 2024.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow 24th ? I had no idea I would have guessed in the 11-15 range , insane
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago Look at how bad our home schedule was this year. The only interesting team on there was UMass due to the rivalry factor. Now imagine that in a few years, but with no UMass.

The home games with UMass are not the problem. The issue would be having offset it with a road game every other year. As I mentioned previously, URI has only played two true road games the past couple of seasons. We already have one road game per season committed each year to either PC or Brown.
Great, decommit from Brown. Problem solved
0 x