Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

reef wrote: 2 months ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 2 months ago
Wow 24th ? I had no idea I would have guessed in the 11-15 range , insane
As my good friend who works at a MAC school (and is pretty connected to the athletic department) says, "All the MAC's good players now transfer after a season and go play in major conference."

(Kevin Miller who started for Wake Forest in the win over Duke this weekend...he was Central Michigan's best player a year ago.)
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So I just had a terrifying thought. This is going to lead to more games against Fordham as the A10 will consider them our geographic rival.

Does anyone have the number for the America East commissioner?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago The UMass move to the MAC for all sports is another sign of how far A-10 men's basketball has fallen. UMass chose not to join the MAC for all sports back in or around 2015 when it was forced to decide on all in or nothing. Back then the A-10 was in a stronger position sending 3 or more teams to the NCAA Tournament. The league is today lucky to get two teams (last time it had more was 2018). I would think that UMass valued membership in the A-10 more several years ago. UMass now reversing course and departing the A-10 is a tacit acknowledgement that the A-10 no longer provides the same value and may not do so again.
Nah, just shows how delusional UMass is about football.

Even with the low period the A10 is in its still multiple tiers above the MAC. The MAC is Colonial/Patriot league level
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yep. The MAC is utter trash except for a couple ok teams every year.

We would even compete in the top 4 in the MAC, because we could just out talent them.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

The UMass collective thinks it’s proactive.

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

With our current league performance over the last few years, I don’t think playing Fordham 2X is a negative. If we get to the serious conference title/at large contenders status then Fordham 2X could be a negative.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Sad day. I hate UMass but still will be weird to see them go.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Umass news was expected. They still think they can be a big time football program. Looks like the thinking is “ IF “ football can win some games maybe make a MAC championship game maybe win one in the next 5 years then another conference will come calling.
Enough of Umass.

Now, let’s look at our own school URI. Basketball use to be the premier sport for the school. Now who knows what the hell is going on.
Before the season people were saying how URI and some of the top schools should form their own conference. Kick out Lasalle, Fordham, etc.
last I knew we got blown out by them.
URI has a serious problem with the basketball program.
If next season goes like this then Archie gots to go and we start all over.
What the hell is going on with recruiting? All these transfers. Every season we could have 10 new players.
Nothing to build, nothing for fans to look forward too.
Best this URI has going for them is the Ryan center and a practice facility. ( womens team much better by the way )
The mens program has to look itself in the mirror. Because what I’m watching is not URI basketball. It almost looks like they just out there going through the motions and making absolutely terrible mental mistakes.
Barons first few years you could see progress. Kids wanted to play and be here.
Hurley’s 2nd season ( I think ) beat LSU on the road showing progress. Last 6 years idk what I’m watching.
1-5 in February is pretty dam sad.
Just my thoughts.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago So I just had a terrifying thought. This is going to lead to more games against Fordham as the A10 will consider them our geographic rival.

Does anyone have the number for the America East commissioner?
I had the same thought. Fordham will soon be the closest conference team and will probably be designated by the A-10 to be our league rival. This would result in an annual home and home series every year going forward.
Last edited by RF1 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 months ago
RF1 wrote: 2 months ago The UMass move to the MAC for all sports is another sign of how far A-10 men's basketball has fallen. UMass chose not to join the MAC for all sports back in or around 2015 when it was forced to decide on all in or nothing. Back then the A-10 was in a stronger position sending 3 or more teams to the NCAA Tournament. The league is today lucky to get two teams (last time it had more was 2018). I would think that UMass valued membership in the A-10 more several years ago. UMass now reversing course and departing the A-10 is a tacit acknowledgement that the A-10 no longer provides the same value and may not do so again.

Even with the low period the A10 is in its still multiple tiers above the MAC. The MAC is Colonial/Patriot league level
I’m not really sure why it matters. If you’re only getting one bid, what’s the difference if your conference is the 8th best or the 24th best? If anything it should be easier to get to the tournament in the worse conference.

But this isn’t about basketball anyways. This is about football. Football is the driving force behind all FBS athletic department maneuvering - by comparison, basketball is only marginally more important than soccer, baseball, etc. Football is driving the bus.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 2 months ago

I’m not really sure why it matters. If you’re only getting one bid, what’s the difference if your conference is the 8th best or the 24th best? If anything it should be easier to get to the tournament in the worse conference.

But this isn’t about basketball anyways. This is about football. Football is the driving force behind all FBS athletic department maneuvering - by comparison, basketball is only marginally more important than soccer, baseball, etc. Football is driving the bus.
Because 1 bid isn't the norm for the A10, it's a historically bad season when it gets only 1 bid.

But for the MAC it's life, its a pure 1 bid league
1 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 2 months ago

Because 1 bid isn't the norm for the A10, it's a historically bad season when it gets only 1 bid.

But for the MAC it's life, its a pure 1 bid league
I think that we have to get used to the new normal. The college athletics landscape has shift an unbelievable amount over the last decade, first due to conference realignment (which is obviously ongoing) and now due to the NIL and the removal of transfer restrictions. This isn’t some weird unexplained dip in form for the A10, this is how the macro trends of the sport have manifested for the conference.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 months ago The UMass collective thinks it’s proactive.

What does the comment above “ithe A10 won’t look like the A10 in a year (Dayton, VCU, etc.with the emoji)” mean ?

Anyone else notice that ?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago

What does the comment above “ithe A10 won’t look like the A10 in a year (Dayton, VCU, etc.with the emoji)” mean ?

Pay no mind to that.
The UMass Collective has no inside information, they are just throwing that out there to help boost and support the move.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

That emoji is obviously a hand waving, meaning the person behind this account thinks Dayton and VCU are going to say “bye bye” to the A10 in short order.

Highly doubt that person knows anything though.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago

That emoji is obviously a hand waving, meaning the person behind this account thinks Dayton and VCU are going to say “bye bye” to the A10 in short order.

Highly doubt that person knows anything though.
Or...they are thumbing noses? 'beat ya to it'?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

It is truly perplexing how delusional they are about football.

The MAC is year in and year out probably the worst conference in FBS football, so even though it is possible for non P5 programs to now make the new 12 team CFP...teams from the MAC have the absolute hardest road to get there.

UMass has been basically the worst program in FBS football since they moved up...so they're banking on that and shelfing their basketball program that once reached the pinnacle of college basketball (Final 4)?

Absolutley dumb.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Looking forward to UMass following in Temple’s path and becoming irrelevant in both football and basketball.

God Speed.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago
I don't see this as the end game for UMass, just a path for them.
I have a feeling this is a steppingstone for them to eventually get an invite to the AAC.
Jersey, if not the AAC then perhaps the ACC….after the ACC loses all its top programs to the BIG and SEC, that is. :D

Maybe they will convince UConn to be a travel partner to the re-made ACC. UConn football supporters are jonesing for a football conference. Both football fan bases want their big time football. They gotta have it. Well, good luck to them with that pipe dream.

I am really, really starting to dislike college football and its cult-like fans. The normal fans are okay, though.

Good day to be on KB. A lot of activity, interesting topics and real good discussion.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago

It is truly perplexing how delusional they are about football.

The MAC is year in and year out probably the worst conference in FBS football, so even though it is possible for non P5 programs to now make the new 12 team CFP...teams from the MAC have the absolute hardest road to get there.

UMass has been basically the worst program in FBS football since they moved up...so they're banking on that and shelfing their basketball program that once reached the pinnacle of college basketball (Final 4)?

Absolutley dumb.
I dunno...who hasn't hit the couch on a midweek night of no sports and not been grateful for a little mid-week MACtion?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I have a feeling this is a steppingstone for them to eventually get an invite to the AAC.
Jersey, if not the AAC then perhaps the ACC….after the ACC loses all its top programs to the BIG and SEC, that is. :D

Maybe they will convince UConn to be a travel partner to the re-made ACC. UConn football supporters are jonesing for a football conference. Both football fan bases want their big time football. They gotta have it. Well, good luck to them with that pipe dream.

I am really, really starting to dislike college football and its cult-like fans. The normal fans are okay, though.

Good day to be on KB. A lot of activity, interesting topics and real good discussion.
Curious to see how the lawsuit turns out against the ACC.
I can see UConn before UMass, but I don't see that happening in the near future.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

I can see UConn before UMass, but I don't see that happening in the near future.
I don't see UConn leaving the Big East after fighting so hard to get back in
2 x
---
---
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

They would leave in a second if the ACC came calling.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm guessing...FSU leaves on the terms they're willing to pay for (and opens the floodgates/sets the price for others) and UConn laughs at the idea of leaving the NBE for the NACC.

...is it possible FSU negotiates something like a share of future revenue to the ACC? Like, they're in the BigAllEverything conference, but in 2025, 25% of their revenue goes to the ACC, 20% the next year, decreasing out over x# of years.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I think so too, Jersey. Their narrow-minded football fans would sacrifice basketball for big time football in a heart beat.

They are chasing that brass college football ring. They want to be in that big time football club.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago

I'm guessing...FSU leaves on the terms they're willing to pay for (and opens the floodgates/sets the price for others) and UConn laughs at the idea of leaving the NBE for the NACC.

...is it possible FSU negotiates something like a share of future revenue to the ACC? Like, they're in the BigAllEverything conference, but in 2025, 25% of their revenue goes to the ACC, 20% the next year, decreasing out over x# of years.
I don't know, everyone thought the B12 was dead after Oklahoma and Texas announced they were leaving and still UConn tried to join.
Playing Duke, UNC, and Virginia every season not terrible plus more geographic desirable than the B12.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Today's ACC? Yeah.

An ACC without FSU, Clemson, Miami, Louisville (for example)? Nope
0 x
---
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't know, everyone thought the B12 was dead after Oklahoma and Texas announced they were leaving and still UConn tried to join.
Playing Duke, UNC, and Virginia every season not terrible plus more geographic desirable than the B12.
ah....f'ball. Any conference that would take their sorry fball team would definitely want hoops. UConn fits great in the NBE, maybe they try to keep hoops there and football independent (on basketball)?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Today's ACC? Yeah.

Not sure the SEC is taking all those schools aside from the obvious couple.

Still the BE revenue is a fraction of the ACC.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ah....f'ball. Any conference that would take their sorry fball team would definitely want hoops. UConn fits great in the NBE, maybe they try to keep hoops there and football independent (on basketball)?
I don't think anything is happening soon.
And yes the NBE is great for basketball, but UConn was willing to leave for the B12.
I also doubt they would turn down the ACC if that opportunity ever came up.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't think anything is happening soon.
And yes the NBE is great for basketball, but UConn was willing to leave for the B12.
I also doubt they would turn down the ACC if that opportunity ever came up.
You might be right...and who knows? We might just get to see...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Even if the ACC lost them, they would still have UNC, NC St, Duke,Syracuse, Pitt, Wake Forest, and BC. UConn would jump to join that group for all sports securing a home for football with several old rivals. The Big East without football is not in the most secure position given what is transpiring in college sports. It has managed to stay relevant but the day may come when the football power schools no longer want to share the coffers with mostly small Catholic schools that have no football.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Today's ACC? Yeah.

True.

But the B1G or B12 would take Louisville/Miami
0 x
---
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago Even if the ACC lost them, they would still have UNC, NC St, Duke,Syracuse, Pitt, Wake Forest, and BC. UConn would jump to join that group for all sports securing a home for football with several old rivals. The Big East without football is not in the most secure position given what is transpiring in college sports. It has managed to stay relevant but the day may come when the football power schools no longer want to share the coffers with mostly small Catholic schools that have no football.
I just think that, once FSU busts the escape hatch, some of those teams, flit out through it as well.
Would UConn jump to join that league without Duke, the 'cuse, or either NC school?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago Even if the ACC lost them, they would still have UNC, NC St, Duke,Syracuse, Pitt, Wake Forest, and BC. UConn would jump to join that group for all sports securing a home for football with several old rivals. The Big East without football is not in the most secure position given what is transpiring in college sports. It has managed to stay relevant but the day may come when the football power schools no longer want to share the coffers with mostly small Catholic schools that have no football.
I just think that, once FSU busts the escape hatch, some of those teams, flit out through it as well.
Would UConn jump to join that league without Duke, the 'cuse, or either NC school?
Where would these other ACC schools go? The power leagues only want the best football schools.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Today's ACC? Yeah.

True.

But the B1G or B12 would take Louisville/Miami
Louisville and Miami don't really fit the B10 mold.

The ACC revenue (3rd) is still over $100M more than the B12 and they are losing Texas and Oklahoma.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago
Where would these other ACC schools go? The power leagues only want the best football schools.
I hear the pac 10 is interviewing
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

mainejeff2 wrote: 2 months ago URI might have some decisions to make. Any chance of an FBS jump into the MAC as a travel partner for UMass and MAC gets solid NE presence with 2 members?
I will puke everywhere
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How are UMass hoop fans reacting on their board about the move to the MAC mens hoop
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 2 months ago How are UMass hoop fans reacting on their board about the move to the MAC mens hoop
Why don’t you go and check?
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 months ago

^ this is why you should be able to like posts more than once
4 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

We would even compete in the top 4 in the MAC, because we could just out talent them.
That assessment is right on the money.

Sincerely,
UNH and Brown Basketball
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 months ago

That assessment is right on the money.

Sincerely,
UNH and Brown Basketball
Lol sure we'd be in the bottom of the MAC too 😂
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 2 months ago How are UMass hoop fans reacting on their board about the move to the MAC mens hoop
It is the men's basketball fans that seem most disappointed. Their football fans seem happy to finally have a conference home. I do not think they even care which conference it is. Many of them had recently been all in on CUSA membership and they don't seem upset that it is now another league.

I do not think this is a good sign for the men's basketball program. I stated previously that this move was in part due to the A-10's diminished status. I however also think the weak status of the UMass men's basketball program played a part as well. UMass has been in the A-10 for close to 50 years. Its only real success came during the decade when John Calipari was the coach and the program rose to the very top of college basketball. They built the 9,493 seat Mullins Center back then and regularly filled it for games. Calipari was however the only coach in its entire history to ever win an NCAA game. Assistant Coach Bruiser Flint did get the team back to the NCAA Tournament but was never able to win a game and the program started to fall off. In the last 25 years, the program has a single NCAA bid (via an at large invite) under Derek Kellogg where they got blown out in the first round.

UMass men's basketball attendance has tanked in recent years. They have only had three seasons in the last fifteen years where they averaged over 4k in a 9,493 seat venue. Overall interest in the program has been in a decline for the last 25 years.

It may be that the administration at UMass has come to the realization that the Calipari years were an aberration and the program was unlikely to ever achieve a high level of success again save for a breakout year here or there. It is spending a lot of money on the program with little to show for it. The operating expenses of the MAC are far lower than the A-10. The AD may have thought the path to the NCAA via the occasional MAC Tourney auto-bid while spending less was a better option. The steady decline of the A-10 and recent status and future prospects of its men's basketball program may have been such that it no longer made sense to center most of the department's conference emphasis on that sport.

Men's hockey today seems to be the most popular fan sport in Amherst. Perhaps, more focus and investment will be put on that. It can be further embraced as the feature winter athletics program at the Mullins Center where it will host familiar local opponents in a sport that is popular in this region.

Membership in the MAC will provide a stable conference home for many UMass sports. Membership in it however is not likely to significantly elevate any of its programs and may in fact hurt several of them. None of the teams in the MAC will much excite people in MA and fan interest will be lacking.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I took this as sarcasm.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 1 month ago
I took this as sarcasm.
That's too deep for me. I just took it as "quite funny"
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

I took this as sarcasm.
The way I took it was that NYG liked Rhodyrudder’s post so much he wanted the ability to like it more than the 1 time that is allowed. When I read that I added a like to Rudder’s Pac 12 is hiring post myself.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It’s not official till Reef tells them bye bye 😂
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 month ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

I took this as sarcasm.
The way I took it was that NYG liked Rhodyrudder’s post so much he wanted the ability to like it more than the 1 time that is allowed. When I read that I added a like to Rudder’s Pac 12 is hiring post myself.
I thought the Pac '10' part was funny, too
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

UConn is now the only FBS program who is a true independent. ND has ties to the ACC.

I would have to think if they are offered membership in all sports in the ACC they will take it.

Shouldn't hurt their BB program imo. They need the revenue big time.
1 x