Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 1 month ago I think if we drop down to the America East attendance would drop even further and it will be hard for us to attract a quality coach ?
Attendance and fan interest would plummet, the talent of players drop, and the quality of coach fall. It would also likely mean lower revenues which would in turn lead to lower spending.
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Too much gloom and doom in this thread. Why talk about things that will not happen at all. URI has a rich basketball tradition and even a smaller A-10 will have a more expansive view that what is found in the America East. I simply do not see the A-10, the 8th rated conference in the country ever descending to the level of 21st ranked AE. Calling the A-10 a sucky league shows no perspective. And playing St. Joe's or GW with a chance to go to Philly or DC is such a great experience versus going to Bangor or Binghamton. So let's get our emotions in check, smoke a weed, calm down and avoid excessive negativity.
6 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

It really makes no sense for anyone thinking we should drop down to a lower conference. Hurley came here specifically because he wanted to get out of a one bid conference. Now some of you think it wouldn’t be a bad idea. What the actual F!
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody Rehab is open, Obie’s suggested remedy is only a short term remedy. It is not so much as whether or not URI should drop down, but that even a watered down A-10, assuming VCU and Dayton leave, would be drop down?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote: 1 month ago Too much gloom and doom in this thread. Why talk about things that will not happen at all. URI has a rich basketball tradition and even a smaller A-10 will have a more expansive view that what is found in the America East. I simply do not see the A-10, the 8th rated conference in the country ever descending to the level of 21st ranked AE. Calling the A-10 a sucky league shows no perspective. And playing St. Joe's or GW with a chance to go to Philly or DC is such a great experience versus going to Bangor or Binghamton. So let's get our emotions in check, smoke a weed, calm down and avoid excessive negativity.
Not a bad suggestion, but, given the quality of play, not sure that the negativity is excessive.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

spookydog wrote: 1 month ago It really makes no sense for anyone thinking we should drop down to a lower conference. Hurley came here specifically because he wanted to get out of a one bid conference. Now some of you think it wouldn’t be a bad idea. What the actual F!
It is not really people saying that URI should drop down. It is people saying that the A-10 is already in decline and would suffer a massive fall if teams such as Dayton and VCU went elsewhere in the future. In that scenario the A-10 would effectively be dropping down to the level of other conferences.

Would any our fans really be excited if URI was in an A-10 that had a future makeup of something like St Bonaventure, Fordham, LaSalle, Duquense, St Joe's, GW, GMU, Richmond, Davidson, Charleston, and UNCW?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
spookydog wrote: 1 month ago It really makes no sense for anyone thinking we should drop down to a lower conference. Hurley came here specifically because he wanted to get out of a one bid conference. Now some of you think it wouldn’t be a bad idea. What the actual F!
It is not really people saying that URI should drop down. It is people saying that the A-10 is already in decline and would suffer a massive fall if teams such as Dayton and VCU went elsewhere in the future. In that scenario the A-10 would effectively be dropping down to the level of other conferences.

Would any our fans really be excited if URI was in an A-10 that had a future makeup of something like St Bonaventure, Fordham, LaSalle, Duquense, St Joe's, GW, GMU, Richmond, Davidson, Charleston, and UNCW?
That would still be stronger than the alternative with some of those other conferences.
Financially the revenue from the A10 would still be higher.
But again, let's cross that bridge if and when we ever get there, no need getting ahead of ourselves.

As bad as we are right now, I am more concerned about our situation not the A10 as a whole.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry RFI, you make assumptions and then attack the situation you dreamed up. What evidence do you have that VCU, Dayton St. Louis, Loyola will bolt and what evidence do you have that says Charleston and UNCW will be added? We can conjecture all we want, but what actually happens often eludes us.
Also, Jersey 77 makes the most sense when he says let's not worry about the A-10 and let's concern ourselves with what URI is doing.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I actually really like UNCW
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

The only thing, RF1, for me is I am not sure where Dayton and VCU go.

The NBE ? I really don’t know.

A football conf as a non-football but basketball and other sports member similar to Wichita State ?

Not impossible, but not likely, imho, from where we sit today.

Brake off with some A10 teams to form a new basketball centric conference ? Most likely of the options, I think.

Just some unsubstantiated speculation to get my mind off of our team temporarily.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

No probably, but better than; Bryant, Albany, NJIT etc.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodysk wrote: 2 months ago
Now, let’s look at our own school URI. Basketball use to be the premier sport for the school. Now who knows what the hell is going on.
Before the season people were saying how URI and some of the top schools should form their own conference. Kick out Lasalle, Fordham, etc.
last I knew we got blown out by them.
URI has a serious problem with the basketball program.
If next season goes like this then Archie gots to go and we start all over.
What the hell is going on with recruiting? All these transfers. Every season we could have 10 new players.
Nothing to build, nothing for fans to look forward too.
Best this URI has going for them is the Ryan center and a practice facility. ( womens team much better by the way )
The mens program has to look itself in the mirror. Because what I’m watching is not URI basketball. It almost looks like they just out there going through the motions and making absolutely terrible mental mistakes.
Barons first few years you could see progress. Kids wanted to play and be here.
Hurley’s 2nd season ( I think ) beat LSU on the road showing progress. Last 6 years idk what I’m watching.
1-5 in February is pretty dam sad.
Just my thoughts.
I hate this argument. We do understand that the "program" is more than just "how your team did this season" or this coach, etc.

It's an overall combination of a bunch of different factors; investment, fan support, institutional support, infrastructure, success ceiling, etc.

Multiple times in URI's A10 history, under multiple coaches, this program has shown the ability to get dominant, go to multiple tournaments, be a nationally ranked program, and get wins on the national stage.

Even in down years, attendance at the Ryan Center is larger than the capacity of some of the arenas of the programs you mentioned.

Rose Hill - 3200, UPMC - 3500, Tom Gola - 3400 (new arena 3000)...

And between those 3 programs, only one time did ONE of them make an NCAA tournament. La Salle caught fire once and made the Elite 8. 4 total credits earned for the A10 in 29 seasons for La Salle. The other years? 4 winning seasons. Out of 29. Does that sound like a program in a similar place as ours?

Fordham? Try 0 NCAA credits. 3 winning seasons in 29 years. THREE. WINNING. SEASONS. And we're not even talking about "good" we're talking about barely above .500 except for last year where they had 25 wins...and were still #134 in NET. Do you understand how terrible of a schedule you have to play to have 25 wins and end up being a Q3 game for teams?

Duquesne? 41 years. 0 NCAA credits. 8 winning seasons in 41 years. Again. Primarily a Q3 game even when they do have a winning season.

Those programs are not like URI. Never had success. Never had support. And the problem with those programs isn't because they don't have the money to spend...in fact they all have endowments double or quintuple the size of URI's. It's because they don't invest. Period.

They have small arenas, smaller dreams, and even when they aren't bringing in NCAA credits - they are doing the worst thing possible, which is sucking ass and bringing our good programs down just by being on our schedule.

URI has had winning seasons a majority of their 40+ years in the A10. Only in rebuild periods is URI a bad game on the schedule. URI invests significantly more both overall and relative to their endowment and budget. URI is significantly closer in program standing to Dayton, VCU, Richmond than it is to Fordham, Duquesne or La Salle.

URI made two bad coaching hires in the past 3 decades. 5/7 coaches before Archie made postseason appearances in the NIT or NCAA. The 2 mistakes were rectified as quickly as reasonably possible and a high level replacement was brought in. Whatever you want to say about Archie today, in year 2 of a complete rebuild, he's still a high profile big name coach with a serious pedigree. The 2 coaches in the past 38 years that didn't work were first time HC's.

This is one season in a rebuild. It's not the end of the program. Please don't compare us to Fordham, Duqesne, or La Salle ever again. Not for me, but for you, because it's a statement that makes you seem completely detached from reality.

The last 6 years are not Archie. It was Dave Cox, and now we are rebuilding from Dave Cox. This is legitimately the same thing people did with Hurley early on and blamed the tournament drought on him instead of Jim Baron's ineptitude.

You're losing the overall goal of building a program (which takes YEARS) with wins/losses in individual seasons. Breathe and be patient. Woo-sah.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago

A football conf as a non-football but basketball and other sports member similar to Wichita State ?

Brake off with some A10 teams to form a new basketball centric conference ? Most likely of the options, I think.

Just some unsubstantiated speculation to get my mind off of our team temporarily.
This is where I'm at.

In terms of "basketball only" conferences, there's the Big East, then the A10, then everyone else.

The Big East is the only place that a program like Dayton or VCU could go for a step up in competition or revenue. The Big East doesn't seem interested in expansion, as they've got the formula exactly where they want it/Xavier doesn't want Dayton in the conference.

So short of those schools forming their own basketball conference and leaving the A10 in the dust, there's really no option.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago

This is where I'm at.

In terms of "basketball only" conferences, there's the Big East, then the A10, then everyone else.

The Big East is the only place that a program like Dayton or VCU could go for a step up in competition or revenue. The Big East doesn't seem interested in expansion, as they've got the formula exactly where they want it/Xavier doesn't want Dayton in the conference.

So short of those schools forming their own basketball conference and leaving the A10 in the dust, there's really no option.
In your "basketball only" conferences reference, you left out the Missouri Valley Conference (10th rated in MBB) and which has better BB facilities than several A-10 schools.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 1 month ago

This is where I'm at.

In your "basketball only" conferences reference, you left out the Missouri Valley Conference (10th rated in MBB) and which has better BB facilities than several A-10 schools.
Indiana State is having a strong season under head coach Josh Schertz and Drake with Darian DeVries is a solid program.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago

This is where I'm at.

Indiana State with Josh Shertz and Drake with Darian DeVries are good basketball programs with excellent coaches.
I wouldn't call either of them good basketball programs. They are currently good teams who are finding success largely for the first time under these very good coaches. See what happens to those programs when they leave.

What happened to Northern Iowa? A decade ago that was THE team, and then they disappeared.

The point of my statement is that why would Dayton leave the A10 and their pending credits behind to go to a clearly lower level conference in the MVC - regardless of how far behind they are, they are behind the A10 in stature, exposure, and finances.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is where I'm at.

Left out WCC as well which as the #16 and #17 NET Teams plus they just lost #12 BYU to the Big12

A10 has only 1 team (Dayton-21) in Rothstein's Top 50 NET Listing of Teams by Conference

Big 12: 10
SEC: 7
Mountain West: 6
ACC: 6
Big Ten: 5

Big East: 5 - UCONN-3, Creighton-11, Marquette-14, Villanova-26, St John's-38
Pac-12: 4
AAC: 2
MVC: 2 - Indiana State-29, Drake-48
WCC: 2 - Gonzaga-16, St Mary's-17 PLUS they just lost BYU-12 to the Big12 this year
Atlantic 10: 1 - Dayton-21
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

The Valley ? I tend to overlook that conference…no pun intended. :D

I like the nick name more than the A10, fwiw.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have read that UMass will have to pay the A-10 an exit fee of $4M if their departure goes as planned in more than a year from now. It would be $5M if leaving was less than a year notice. It likely will not have to be concerned about leaving behind NCAA revenues as it earned none to date in the last six years. If it were to unexpectedly earn any in its last two seasons, it would forfeit most if not all that it might have accumulated. I would imagine the school will also have to pay the MAC an entry fee which is probably in the low million dollar range.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Indiana State with Josh Shertz and Drake with Darian DeVries are good basketball programs with excellent coaches.
I wouldn't call either of them good basketball programs. They are currently good teams who are finding success largely for the first time under these very good coaches. See what happens to those programs when they leave.

What happened to Northern Iowa? A decade ago that was THE team, and then they disappeared.

The point of my statement is that why would Dayton leave the A10 and their pending credits behind to go to a clearly lower level conference in the MVC - regardless of how far behind they are, they are behind the A10 in stature, exposure, and finances.
I did edit my original post.

Indiana State is finding some success with Schertz and DeVries has taken Drake to the NCAAT twice in the last few years.
Both coaches have been mentioned in discussions about trading up to higher level programs.

Yes, Dayton would only leave if they got a BE invite.

I agree Northern Iowa really fell off.
I also remember when Creighton and Wichita State moved on.

The MVC was hoping that the addition of Belmont and Murray State would help offset the loss of Loyola.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago I have read that UMass will have to pay the A-10 an exit fee of $4M if their departure goes as planned in more than a year from now. It would be $5M if leaving was less than a year notice. It likely will not have to be concerned about leaving behind NCAA revenues as it earned none to date in the last six years. If it were to unexpectedly earn any in its last two seasons, it would forfeit most if not all that it might have accumulated. I would imagine the school will also have to pay the MAC an entry fee which is probably in the low million dollar range.
Goodness...they are just bleeding money and they are getting zero returns for any program in their athletic department.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 1 month ago

This is where I'm at.

Left out WCC as well which as the #16 and #17 NET Teams plus they just lost #12 BYU to the Big12

A10 has only 1 team (Dayton-21) in Rothstein's Top 50 NET Listing of Teams by Conference

WCC: 2 - Gonzaga-16, St Mary's-17 PLUS they just lost BYU-12 to the Big12 this year
Again, WCC still lower on the totem pole than the A10. Lower than the MVC. And exclusively in a timezone several hours different than Virginia or Ohio.

We can keep going through all the other 'basketball only' conferences that I didn't list, or we can just understand the larger point that of all the regional/realistic basketball only conferences for a Dayton or a VCU to leave the A10 and join - it would be the Big East or create their own.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago
RF1 wrote: 1 month ago I have read that UMass will have to pay the A-10 an exit fee of $4M if their departure goes as planned in more than a year from now. It would be $5M if leaving was less than a year notice. It likely will not have to be concerned about leaving behind NCAA revenues as it earned none to date in the last six years. If it were to unexpectedly earn any in its last two seasons, it would forfeit most if not all that it might have accumulated. I would imagine the school will also have to pay the MAC an entry fee which is probably in the low million dollar range.
Goodness...they are just bleeding money and they are getting zero returns for any program in their athletic department.
I love it. I hate them.

What concerns me is that they'll be an NCAA team in short order by playing a joke of competition.

Anyone have any idea what the MAC welcome package is for UMass? Gotta figure they'd at least be covering UMass' exit fee.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Again, WCC still lower on the totem pole than the A10. Lower than the MVC. And exclusively in a timezone several hours different than Virginia or Ohio.

We can keep going through all the other 'basketball only' conferences that I didn't list, or we can just understand the larger point that of all the regional/realistic basketball only conferences for a Dayton or a VCU to leave the A10 and join - it would be the Big East or create their own.
Yeah the WCC outside side of Gonzaga and Saint Mary's is a low major conference.

San Fran and Santa Clara have had some decent teams here lately, but that has been very recent.

The A-10 is also trending up. Losing UMass is a blow (f'n idiots) but the league looks as healthy as its been in a while. Not sure Dayton and VCU are even looking around right now since it looks like the league might be getting its shit together.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I love it. I hate them.

What concerns me is that they'll be an NCAA team in short order by playing a joke of competition.

Anyone have any idea what the MAC welcome package is for UMass? Gotta figure they'd at least be covering UMass' exit fee.
Yeah but I want to beat them! Laugh at their misery would be fun, but you want your biggest rival in the league to stay.

Otherwise yeah, they can go f themselves. Better hope they stay hot in the MAC tourney...
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I love it. I hate them.

Screw UMass, I don't give a shit what happens to them.
I hope they get embarrassed in the MAC and I will always root for their opponent.
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Now, let’s look at our own school URI. Basketball use to be the premier sport for the school. Now who knows what the hell is going on.
Before the season people were saying how URI and some of the top schools should form their own conference. Kick out Lasalle, Fordham, etc.
What the hell is going on with recruiting? All these transfers. Every season we could have 10 new players.
Best this URI has going for them is the Ryan center and a practice facility. ( womens team much better by the way )
The mens program has to look itself in the mirror. Because what I’m watching is not URI basketball. It almost looks like they just out there going through the motions and making absolutely terrible mental mistakes.
Hurley’s 2nd season ( I think ) beat LSU on the road showing progress. Last 6 years idk what I’m watching.
Just my thoughts.
I hate this argument. We do understand that the "program" is more than just "how your team did this season" or this coach, etc.

It's an overall combination of a bunch of different factors; investment, fan support, institutional support, infrastructure, success ceiling, etc.

Multiple times in URI's A10 history, under multiple coaches, this program has shown the ability to get dominant, go to multiple tournaments, be a nationally ranked program, and get wins on the national stage.

Even in down years, attendance at the Ryan Center is larger than the capacity of some of the arenas of the programs you mentioned.

And between those 3 programs, only one time did ONE of them make an NCAA tournament. La Salle caught fire once and made the Elite 8. 4 total credits earned for the A10 in 29 seasons for La Salle. The other years? 4 winning seasons. Out of 29. Does that sound like a program in a similar place as ours?

Fordham? Try 0 NCAA credits. 3 winning seasons in 29 years. THREE. WINNING. SEASONS. And we're not even talking about "good" we're talking about barely above .500 except for last year where they had 25 wins...and were still #134 in NET. Do you understand how terrible of a schedule you have to play to have 25 wins and end up being a Q3 game for teams?

Duquesne? 41 years. 0 NCAA credits. 8 winning seasons in 41 years. Again. Primarily a Q3 game even when they do have a winning season.

Those programs are not like URI. Never had success. Never had support. And the problem with those programs isn't because they don't have the money to spend...in fact they all have endowments double or quintuple the size of URI's. It's because they don't invest. Period.

They have small arenas, smaller dreams, and even when they aren't bringing in NCAA credits - they are doing the worst thing possible, which is sucking ass and bringing our good programs down just by being on our schedule.

URI has had winning seasons a majority of their 40+ years in the A10. Only in rebuild periods is URI a bad game on the schedule. URI invests significantly more both overall and relative to their endowment and budget. URI is significantly closer in program standing to Dayton, VCU, Richmond than it is to Fordham, Duquesne or La Salle.

URI made two bad coaching hires in the past 3 decades. 5/7 coaches before Archie made postseason appearances in the NIT or NCAA. The 2 mistakes were rectified as quickly as reasonably possible and a high level replacement was brought in. Whatever you want to say about Archie today, in year 2 of a complete rebuild, he's still a high profile big name coach with a serious pedigree. The 2 coaches in the past 38 years that didn't work were first time HC's.

This is one season in a rebuild. It's not the end of the program. Please don't compare us to Fordham, Duqesne, or La Salle ever again. Not for me, but for you, because it's a statement that makes you seem completely detached from reality.

The last 6 years are not Archie. It was Dave Cox, and now we are rebuilding from Dave Cox. This is legitimately the same thing people did with Hurley early on and blamed the tournament drought on him instead of Jim Baron's ineptitude.

You're losing the overall goal of building a program (which takes YEARS) with wins/losses in individual seasons. Breathe and be patient. Woo-sah.
Blueman I’m a big fan of yours. I wrote that have another lost and a few drinks. Like you I’m sure, I’m tired of the past 6 years should never happen to a school like URI if all the resources are there. We should be a top 6 school in the A-10 every season. Last game I heard the announcers say that arichie has brought in 19 players in 2 years. What identity is that? I get college is now different to recruit and build but other teams seem to find a way while we are rolling out 5-10 players every year. I’m tired of the Ryan center being empty. I’m tired of games not being meaningful in February and March.
This program use to be seen all around south county a lot. I get Archie might run a tight ship but besides football,women’s games and the one afternoon at Dunkin’ when do we see these guys.
I don’t know just a rant.
It’s March and there is absolutely no madness with URI.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodysk wrote: 1 month ago
Just my thoughts.

Blueman I’m a big fan of yours. I wrote that have another lost and a few drinks. Like you I’m sure, I’m tired of the past 6 years should never happen to a school like URI if all the resources are there. We should be a top 6 school in the A-10 every season. Last game I heard the announcers say that arichie has brought in 19 players in 2 years. What identity is that? I get college is now different to recruit and build but other teams seem to find a way while we are rolling out 5-10 players every year. I’m tired of the Ryan center being empty. I’m tired of games not being meaningful in February and March.
This program use to be seen all around south county a lot. I get Archie might run a tight ship but besides football,women’s games and the one afternoon at Dunkin’ when do we see these guys.
And I certainly don't disagree to an extent. As a fan of drinking and writing emotionally after losses, I sympathize.

And I agree URI shouldn't be in the position we've been in over the last 6 years. But 4 of those 6 years happened under a coach who is no longer here, which is why I restarted my disappointment counter. So now we can worry about where we are in the next 2-3 years.

I'm not happy with how the team has looked either, but this rebuild is going to be a long process. They all are if you do it right, which Archie is trying to do. It took Hurley 3 years to finally turn a corner, no matter what people are saying on here now, it was an overwhelming minority that was preaching patience under Dan.

I'm not having fun and being down at the moment makes sense with what's happened this year. But we're not Fordham or La Salle or Duquesne no matter what our records are at the moment.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhodysk wrote: 1 month ago
Just my thoughts.

Rhodysk, allow me to welcome you to 105’s Rhody Rehab. Like the Hotel California, you will hear voices down the corridor, but they will be mostly expletives. But don’t get scared and run for the door because you can never leave.

:lol:
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Doesn't sound like Dayton, VCU, or SLU will be leaving the A10 anytime soon.

1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

There just isn't a really natural "fit" for Dayton or VCU out there - just a bunch of lateral moves. Why pay an exit fee or be forced to share more by jumping from the A-10 to an equivalent conference? I think the Big East or ACC would have to shed more members for either of those schools to be "next one up."
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bring me back to 2010 or whatever when everything in college sports was normal and enjoyable.
1 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago There just isn't a really natural "fit" for Dayton or VCU out there - just a bunch of lateral moves. Why pay an exit fee or be forced to share more by jumping from the A-10 to an equivalent conference? I think the Big East or ACC would have to shed more members for either of those schools to be "next one up."
Yes SG, unless they get a BE invite Dayton, VCU, and SLU aren't leaving the A10.
The ACC would have no interest in them, if anything they would consider Memphis/ S.Florida/UConn first.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The other option of the AAC that has been thrown around for these schools to move to is also now a lesser probability. The AAC recently lost most of its best members and luster. It is now ranked BEHIND the A-10.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago The other option of the AAC that has been thrown around for these schools to move to is also now a lesser probability. The AAC recently lost most of its best members and luster. It is now ranked BEHIND the A-10.
Don't even see the AAC as a possibility for those teams.
The AAC has already showed that football is more important by poaching C-USA.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago Bring me back to 2010 or whatever when everything in college sports was normal and enjoyable.
So before Dave Gavitt founded the Big East and set these dominos in motion?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

This is where I'm at.

And if they formed that mythical basketball only conference we would probably be one of the schools Dayton and VCU would include. We'd be leaving La Salle, Fordham, and Duquesne in the dust
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That would still be stronger than the alternative with some of those other conferences.
But again, let's cross that bridge if and when we ever get there, no need getting ahead of ourselves.

As bad as we are right now, I am more concerned about our situation not the A10 as a whole.
I hate this idea. We, and the people we have running URI, should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Nobody is saying the A10 is a bigger problem than our own program, but we ignore the bigger picture at our own peril.

Contrary to what someone said before you, the Atlantic 10 objectively sucks right now and has for the last handful of years, compared to what we were. Last year we were one bid. We've got one team in (Dayton), one on the bubble (Richmond), and then 13 teams that need to win the conference tournament for any chance of dancing. That would be historically bad for the conference except we were even worse the last handful of years
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago

I hate this idea. We, and the people we have running URI, should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Nobody is saying the A10 is a bigger problem than our own program, but we ignore the bigger picture at our own peril.

Contrary to what someone said before you, the Atlantic 10 objectively sucks right now and has for the last handful of years, compared to what we were. Last year we were one bid. We've got one team in (Dayton), one on the bubble (Richmond), and then 13 teams that need to win the conference tournament for any chance of dancing. That would be historically bad for the conference except we were even worse the last handful of years
I don’t think Richmond is on the bubble with a NET=71
I think a good number of Bracketologists are picking Richmond to win the A10 Tournament and Dayton would go At-Large.
Dayton is seeded about 7 and Richmond is seeded about 12 by Bracketologists who pick them.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I think a good number of Bracketologists are picking Richmond to win the A10 Tournament and Dayton would go At-Large.
Dayton is seeded about 7 and Richmond is seeded about 12 by Bracketologists who pick them.

I think Richmond is on the wrong side of the bubble myself but included them so no one could say I was being excessively doom and gloom about our chances this year. If Dayton wins the conference tournament we're probably a one bid league. Again
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

O2, are you disagreeing that I am more concerned right now about us being relevant again than the A10 as a conference?

I don't believe in made up-scenarios and currently Dayton, VCU, and SLU aren't leaving.
Also, the A10 presidents aren't kicking anybody out and probably can't anyway.

The conference is in a decline as far as bids go because of their OOC record, I think those individual programs are responsible for that.

But overall, the A10 is still regarded as a strong conference and top-bottom #8 NET (2nd best among mid-majors).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think Richmond is on the wrong side of the bubble myself but included them so no one could say I was being excessively doom and gloom about our chances this year. If Dayton wins the conference tournament we're probably a one bid league. Again
I agree.
Even if Richmond gets to the Championship Game (which is possible being the #1 seed) I don’t think they get an At-Large bid if they lose that game - whether the loss is to Dayton or any other team. NET of 71 is too far out of the sweet spot.

IMG_2621.jpeg
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I agree.
Even if Richmond gets to the Championship Game (which is possible being the #1 seed) I don’t think they get an At-Large bid if they lose that game - whether the loss is to Dayton or any other team. NET of 71 is too far out of the sweet spot.

IMG_2621.jpeg
Prior to getting upset badly to GM at home, they had an NET of 69.
They even got a vote in the AP top 25.
If they would have won that last regular season game and made it to the finals of the A10T, depending on what happened around the country, they may have been in the discussion.

Now I agree, no chance.
1 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

I love it. I hate them.

Screw UMass, I don't give a shit what happens to them.
I hope they get embarrassed in the MAC and I will always root for their opponent.
Yikes...you would even cheer UConn over UMass? UMass should have waited another year or two to leave the A-10. The AAC or ACC is where UMass should look to. Or even if the Big East creates a football conference again UMass and URI should head in that direction. Football is wrecking the local rivals.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Who is in the MAC basketball-wise? No one. UMass will probably starting winning that Conference inside of two years and be back in the NCAAT before you know it.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The MAC had a whopping 4 teams that got 20 wins this season, and only one of them got more than 20 wins (24). UMass is going to be fine, they'll probably be the next Vermont, but of a bigger Conference.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

jcru wrote: 1 month ago The MAC had a whopping 4 teams that got 20 wins this season, and only one of them got more than 20 wins (24). UMass is going to be fine, they'll probably be the next Vermont, but of a bigger Conference.
I mean maybe lol, but anything less than that, they’re screwed.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago
jcru wrote: 1 month ago The MAC had a whopping 4 teams that got 20 wins this season, and only one of them got more than 20 wins (24). UMass is going to be fine, they'll probably be the next Vermont, but of a bigger Conference.
How? They have sucked since 96’ even if they just make the tourney 1 in 4 they are better than they have been.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

rhodylaw wrote: 1 month ago
How? They have sucked since 96’ even if they just make the tourney 1 in 4 they are better than they have been.
If you don’t win that conference, you’re not relevant, is my point.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 month ago

If you don’t win that conference, you’re not relevant, is my point.
I agree with that point - but they have not been relevant for 20 years. They have almost zero fan support as it is. I think it is a good move for UMass. Their only chance at relevancy is to be good in a bad conference.

I think it would be terrible for Rhody who has an actual following (albeit dwindling with every year of suckdom).
1 x