1/19 | La Salle | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/19 | La Salle | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs La Salle University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Wednesday, January 19, 2022
7:00PM

Media
TV: YurView
Online: ESPN+
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
La Salle Fan Forum

Not bothering with an in-depth write-up since who knows if this game will be played. URI will not have played for almost 3 weeks by the time this game tips off. Even with the giant layover, they should still beat La Salle. Rhody has won 7 in a row & 11 out of 12 against the Explorers. My guess is that Rhody will be favored by about 9. URI wins 72-61, Happy New Year & Go Rhody!!

After a brief 1 game road-trip to Amherst, the Rams head back to the Ryan Center for a 3-game home stand. They open it up by taking on the La Salle Explorers. The Explorers will have a quick turnaround for this game as they are playing St Joseph’s Monday night. They are winless in the A10 as of this writing. Senior forward Clifton Moore is their only big man to keep an eye on. He is averaging 11.6 & 6.5 with 2.8 blocks per game. Josh Nickelberry is their only other player who averages in double figures (12.3). Rhody has won 7 in a row & 11 out of 12 against the Explorers. Look for that trend to continue as Rhody should be favored by about 10.5. If Rhody plays like they did against UMass, they should win this one going away. Final score URI 77 – La Salle 64. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
5-8, 0-3 in the A-10
9-16, 6-11 in the A-10

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 278 (95)
RPI: 318 (75)
KenPom: 260 (67)
BPI: 261 (79)
Sagarin: 245 (87)

Leaders:
Points – Josh Nickelberry 12.3 (Jr., G)
Rebounds – Christian Ray 7.3 (Jr., G)
Assists – Anwar Gill 4.2 (Soph., G) (2.8 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 32-9
H: 12-4, A: 16-5, N: 4-0
Most Recent Matchup: 1/27/21 73-60 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 7 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 92.2% Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: 1/2 | La Salle | 2:30PM (USA)

Unread post by PeteRI »

I was really hoping to see Dayton tonight but at this rate I'll be happy to see any game in person.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

If played I, m guessing Rhody will be favored by about 15.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hope we can remember how to play basketball by then
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago If played I, m guessing Rhody will be favored by about 15.
This should be one of our easiest home games, but doubtful we will be favored by that many over any opponent.

At this point no mention of how many players will be available and which ones if any will be out due to Covid protocol.

Below from GoRhody.
https://gorhody.com/news/2021/12/28/men ... -play.aspx
"If a team elects not to play, despite having seven scholarship student-athletes and one coach available, that team will incur a forfeit and be given a loss in the league standings, and the opposing team will be granted a forfeit win."

In addition, not sure how much practice time we had as a team these past several weeks.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago If played I, m guessing Rhody will be favored by about 15.
Yes, the line normally tracks pretty close to KenPom, and that has us winning by 15. La Salle is awful (257 KenPom, 282 Net), but this will be our first game since 12/13 and I'm sure practice has been limited. In other words, who knows what the line will be and don't touch it
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

This seems like the ideal opponent for a team returning from a long COVID pause.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago This seems like the ideal opponent for a team returning from a long COVID pause.
…….would seem so yes, but the rust factor could enter the picture, along with the team’s inconsistency, long stretches of empty possessions etc, and bang, close game, Explorer cover……no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I think all of those things will be factors for sure. That said, they don't need their 'A' game to beat La Salle. If they were playing any team in the top 8-10 of the conference I'd be nervous as hell. But yeah La Salle probably covers. If you're a betting type, betting against an opponent coming back from a COVID pause was quite lucrative last year and I don't expect that to change.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……serious question I have asked before, what is our A game?……..
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……serious question I have asked before, what is our A game?……..
The second half vs Bryant is the only example I can come up with...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I had initially posted this in the Dayton game thread. Since that got cancelled, it is now relevant to this game.

A David Cox led URI team has never won its A-10 league home opener. Have lost by an average of 11 points per game. He and his team have appeared unprepared and not ready every one of the past three seasons.

2020-21 Lost to Davidson 67-58 (down 4 at the half)
2019-20 Lost to Richmond 69-61 (down 11 at the half)
2018-19 Lost to GMU 84-67 (down 11 at the half)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I had initially posted this in the Dayton game thread. Since that got cancelled, it is now relevant to this game.

A David Cox led URI team has never won its A-10 league home opener. Have lost by an average of 11 points per game. He and his team have appeared unprepared and not ready every one of the past three seasons.

2020-21 Lost to Davidson 67-58 (down 4 at the half)
2019-20 Lost to Richmond 69-61 (down 11 at the half)
2018-19 Lost to GMU 84-67 (down 11 at the half)
That is not cheery
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What is general confidence level that this game will be played?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago What is general confidence level that this game will be played?
30% chance it is played
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago What is general confidence level that this game will be played?
……given that it is almost 48 hours out………10%………
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

RAMFAN wrote: 2 years ago
Call Iona. Their game today with Siena was cancelled: Covid with Siena. They have had two other games cancelled and aren’t scheduled to play again until next Friday. Their last game was on December 21.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

………call a pause in the conference until late February/early March…….do some sorta poorly seeding by Net or ?….….pull names outta a hat, play one and done bracket, winner dances……..do at campus sites…….what else is there……..the mess continues…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
…….is there a prize for being close?………beer in the RC at a concession high top?…….maybe in the early 2022 season, the next home game…….
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I hear so many people are testing positive that they are having positive test only parties tonight. You have to show a positive test and be asymptomatic to attend.
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

They might as well just cancel the whole season at this point. Everything about this season has been so unenjoyable
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

As much as I want to see live basketball, I don't want to see them just throw games in to fill a schedule. I get this is difficult for everyone involved, but I hope there is a plan to make us dedicated season ticket holders whole this year. This year needs to be considered history. Don't jerk us around. Do what you have to do to salvage the season for these athletes that work so hard, but shut it down to fans and refund us or try again next year.. don't take us for a ride.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think refunding would be a last resort even though we deserve the refunds.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I hear so many people are testing positive that they are having positive test only parties tonight. You have to show a positive test and be asymptomatic to attend.
[/quote

……..hope our pilot tomorrow tests negative…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Do not be shocked if they get an opponent that is not D1.
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Get creative. Give us credit. Let us keep our seats and pay discounted price for any games that may actually be held the rest of the year.. changing dates and times at last minute doesn't work into a lot of people's schedules. Don't penalize your season ticket holders for something out of our control.. this is not our fault.. I still will go to games if I can.. but give me some incentive
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….gotta ask(again)……..why have a glorified scrimmage and empty win, other than to dislodge rust, where players/staff run the risk of additional exposure……..?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

…….is there a prize for being close?………beer in the RC at a concession high top?…….maybe in the early 2022 season, the next home game…….
I guess...I think I said earlier that I didn't think they'd play before UMass (and not sure they'll play that game.)

I really feel bad for this year's season ticket holders that just wanted to, and thought they could, get to some games. I was kinda questioning my decision to roll over rather than get a refund, but you all that stuck it out and tried to go...seems like an even worse option. Good luck in terms of getting whole, hopefully it happens via getting to some good games...my guess is they end up being fair with people but that it takes longer to play out than many would prefer.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They REALLY need to find a way to finish this season, even if it takes an extra month or so.

Right now I think they need to call a halt to the proceedings.

By sometime in February things should be more condusive to playing without so many cancellations.

Especially since just about every player and coach will have had this by then, and be able to play without worrying about getting it again, at least for a while.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago They REALLY need to find a way to finish this season, even if it takes an extra month or so.

Right now I think they need to call a halt to the proceedings.

By sometime in February things should be more condusive to playing without so many cancellations.
I can't see the NCAA moving off that first Monday in April... I also think, if it's shut down for a month, when it opens up...will just repeat what's happening now.

This is the new normal...traceable disease, with a name, makes the rounds in the northeast when it gets cold. Shut things down. Weather gets warmer in the spring, less people getting sick, open up. They may just build in 'no sports from Thanksgiving to Valentine's Day'.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If everyone is positive, why can't they play?
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago Get creative. Give us credit. Let us keep our seats and pay discounted price for any games that may actually be held the rest of the year.. changing dates and times at last minute doesn't work into a lot of people's schedules. Don't penalize your season ticket holders for something out of our control.. this is not our fault.. I still will go to games if I can.. but give me some incentive
It's posts like this that make me wonder about the lack of financial perspective among some so-called supporters. You complain on the on one hand that URI is chintzy on marketing, charter flights, etc. and then you whine about not getting refunds. URI has already canceled games three games and if not re-scheduled will cost the program one quarter million dollars in revenue, if they have to refund.

Another perspective, last season I was given the option to roll over my season ticket purchases and I did so, but then I realized the season was going ahead with no fans and no revenue coming in, so I made a donation to the program to help them alleviate the lost revenue. This season if games are not held I will not request a refund, but count those tickets as a donation to the program. The quality of the URI MBB program is brought about by many factors, but having a strong revenue stream because you have a passionate and supportive fan base is the most critical. It doesn't require a PhD. to understand that URI and all schools have taken a big financial blow from this pandemic over three seasons now and understand the broader implications of the revenue loss to the URI Athletics Dept. before we demand they "get creative".
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Yes, the line normally tracks pretty close to KenPom, and that has us winning by 15. La Salle is awful (257 KenPom, 282 Net), but this will be our first game since 12/13 and I'm sure practice has been limited. In other words, who knows what the line will be and don't touch it
I think it,pretty well tracks Sagarin also. After the way LaSalle looked against Fordham at home, I’m not sure 15 is enough !
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago Get creative. Give us credit. Let us keep our seats and pay discounted price for any games that may actually be held the rest of the year.. changing dates and times at last minute doesn't work into a lot of people's schedules. Don't penalize your season ticket holders for something out of our control.. this is not our fault.. I still will go to games if I can.. but give me some incentive
How is our intra murals this year. Think of it as the G league of Div 1 games. Do we have any players that should get 2 way contracts ?
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

How about BC again?
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

UCLA is also available for Sunday. Good luck Coach!!!
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago
It's posts like this that make me wonder about the lack of financial perspective among some so-called supporters. You complain on the on one hand that URI is chintzy on marketing, charter flights, etc. and then you whine about not getting refunds. URI has already canceled games three games and if not re-scheduled will cost the program one quarter million dollars in revenue, if they have to refund.

Another perspective, last season I was given the option to roll over my season ticket purchases and I did so, but then I realized the season was going ahead with no fans and no revenue coming in, so I made a donation to the program to help them alleviate the lost revenue. This season if games are not held I will not request a refund, but count those tickets as a donation to the program. The quality of the URI MBB program is brought about by many factors, but having a strong revenue stream because you have a passionate and supportive fan base is the most critical. It doesn't require a PhD. to understand that URI and all schools have taken a big financial blow from this pandemic over three seasons now and understand the broader implications of the revenue loss to the URI Athletics Dept. before we demand they "get creative".
Bull sh**. I usually don't take posts personally but this one I do. I have supported uri basketball as a fan for 45 years. I have never complained about the resources provided to this program. I accept the program for what it is. I certainly would prefer it to be an elite program consistently, but let's be real. I travel to every home game almost an hour. However this is entertainment to me and not a charity that I choose to "donate" to. I choose to donate to Alzheimer's research which both my parents passed away from and other causes that I consider charities. I pay good money for season tickets for entertainment. Uri basketball is entertainment.. I too rolled my tickets over and will do it again because I love the game. It doesn't take your PhD to realize that there are other causes more worthy to "donate" to.
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Do not be shocked if they get an opponent that is not D1.
I think the national tv slot is a good draw, should be able to get a D1 team to play, maybe even one better then LaSalle?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Do not be shocked if they get an opponent that is not D1.
I think the national tv slot is a good draw, should be able to get a D1 team to play, maybe even one better then LaSalle?
Like Brown?
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I originally thought this could be a good spot for the Brown reschedule and obviously the travel would be easy, but Brown is playing at Penn on Sunday, so this is out.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
They might as well just cancel the whole season at this point. Everything about this season has been so unenjoyable
Why are we looking for a non-conference opponent? The St. Bonaventure at Dayton game was also canceled because St. Bonaventure was put into protocol, so why don't we just makeup the Dayton game now?
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Schedule a real opponent so I know we’re not just padding wins in a contract extension year….
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
Couldn't agree more...not going to move (or lose out on) those March $$$$$$. Finishing that first Monday of April, before baseball gets geared up, is the sweet spot.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

What an absolute joke
0 x
:lol:
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

My ticket now says URI VS AIC. American International College in Springfield. 🙄
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Backroads wrote: 2 years ago My ticket now says URI VS AIC. American International College in Springfield. 🙄
Div II?
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Backroads wrote: 2 years ago My ticket now says URI VS AIC. American International College in Springfield. 🙄
Div II?
Yup
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

So ticket holders paid for a game and instead get a D2 opponent- how they gonna make that right?
2 x