The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Freshman (G) Lynn Greer stays in the A10 and transfers from Dayton to St. Joe's.
He was a 3/4* recruit from Philly.

0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by luke »

He did not get much playing time at Dayton , but when he did he didn't show a lot . I'm not so sure he is going to be that impactful at St. Joes either ,
but we will have to see if he can improve with more playing time.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

He withdrew from Fordham on 1/13 for personal reasons.
Now officially in the portal, was Fordham's leading scorer averaging about 17 pts.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Zeb Jackson CG (6'5") transferring from Michigan was a 4* top 75 recruit.
He still will have 3 years eligibility in 22-23 and was part of Michigan's 2020 #1 B10 recruiting class.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

The grass isn’t always greener… https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/men ... 804245001/
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago The grass isn’t always greener… https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/men ... 804245001/
Does Tre still have any contact with Tony Bergeron ???
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DeAndre Gholston (6'5" wing) led Milwaukee in scoring the last 2 seasons.
Against us he had 16 pts/ 7 rebs.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago DeAndre Gholston (6'5" wing) led Milwaukee in scoring the last 2 seasons.

Is this unusual 77 that he would do this prior to their Conference Tournament?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago DeAndre Gholston (6'5" wing) led Milwaukee in scoring the last 2 seasons.

Yeah, but right after they announced the HC is gone.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Kind of a symptom of why they were bad, if he's leading them in scoring - He shot 36 percent from the field this season, and didn't get to the line a ton for a guy who always had the ball. Like the poor man's Luwane Pipkins.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

They already had been eliminated from the conference tourney earlier in the week. Season is ovah!
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Uh oh
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

Kind of a symptom of why they were bad, if he's leading them in scoring - He shot 36 percent from the field this season, and didn't get to the line a ton for a guy who always had the ball. Like the poor man's Luwane Pipkins.
And the poor man's Luwane Pipkins is ... Luwane Pipkins. :)
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 2 years ago Uh oh
That could literally mean anything
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It was right after the St. Joes game. Berry hasn't played in a month and totaled 25 total minutes for the season, and we suck. There's a chance it means something.
1 x
GO RAMS
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

The focus should be find a new coach. If the coach wants any remaining players, great. If not, start from scratch. A player averaging <1 min per game won’t make or break our rebuild.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

If this board is losing sleep over a back of the bench player potentially transferring, you’re going to be in for a wake up call when multiple starters are in the portal
4 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
If this board is losing sleep over a back of the bench player potentially transferring, you’re going to be in for a wake up call when multiple starters are in the portal
Exactly. He has done this before with using social media to describe his frustration. He should have gotten some time in a worthless season to see what he could do, but it is too late now. The whole freshman class or young guys for the most part will probably leave. It seems like we recruited lower end division 1 players if none of these guys can crack the lineup on these group of players. Including the seniors that graduate I would expect us to have at least 7 new players next year.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
Exactly. He has done this before with using social media to describe his frustration. He should have gotten some time in a worthless season to see what he could do, but it is too late now. The whole freshman class or young guys for the most part will probably leave. It seems like we recruited lower end division 1 players if none of these guys can crack the lineup on these group of players. Including the seniors that graduate I would expect us to have at least 7 new players next year.
Probably more than 7 new players.

I would have liked to see what Samb could do.
He was hurt his final prep year so that limited his recruiting exposure.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

Probably more than 7 new players.

I would have liked to see what Samb could do.
He was hurt his final prep year so that limited his recruiting exposure.
Oddly, I almost wonder if he sticks around. He's legitimately blocked, given the Mitchells and Walker. There's a chance all three are gone by next year, which means he'd probably get minutes by default, or at least an honest chance at significant playing time.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

There’s going to be probably 1500-2000 kids in the portal and Rhody will probably have a few no surprises there
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Neal Quinn 7-footer from Lafayette enters the portal.
Several high majors and A10 teams showing interest.
He has connections to Bob Hurley Sr. in NJ.

https://rutgerswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... -interest/
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Who will be our first to go? Berry?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I hope the twins stay because that type of size and athletic ability is hard to find, and with the right coach they can be really good. OTOH, as far as care they can all go... provided they take the coaches with them.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago I hope the twins stay because that type of size and athletic ability is hard to find, and with the right coach they can be really good. OTOH, as far as care they can all go... provided they take the coaches with them.
I haven't hated URI players more since Jarelle Reishel. And honestly I just hated him because he was terrible.

These kids are certifiably detestable. Cocky for all the wrong reasons. Disrespectful. Undisciplined.

They are all about themselves - but it doesn't look like they bother to work on themselves. They're definitely not practicing free throws or ball handling.

They want to hang on rims and flex and yell when they're missing dunks or when we're down double digits.

Who cares if they stay or go? This is the worst URI team in a decade. There is no piece of this team that needs to stay. Especially these two.

The culture that exists here needs to be purged. I don't care if everyone leaves. We're in a start over situation.

Thanks to the transfer portal if you hire the right coach, he'll bring in the right guys. Let the Mitchells be another programs problem.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would keep Martin.....his brother I'm sure helps keep him grounded.......in fact I think he'll stay with a new coach.
6 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago I hope the twins stay because that type of size and athletic ability is hard to find, and with the right coach they can be really good. OTOH, as far as care they can all go... provided they take the coaches with them.
Heard from someone that they will have to sit out if they transfer, even if we have a coaching change. Maybe they will stay, seems they don’t get along with the coach either.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago Who will be our first to go? Berry?
I wouldn’t blame him if he did. He’s is getting zero play time, and I am guessing not much development from the coaches either. His brother will be on the roster at Providence next year as a freshman and Tres has done nothing but sit the bench at URI for 2 years.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago
Heard from someone that they will have to sit out if they transfer, even if we have a coaching change. Maybe they will stay, seems they don’t get along with the coach either.
Sorry but your source is mistaken, probably better than 90% they don't sit.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I wouldn’t blame him if he did. He’s is getting zero play time, and I am guessing not much development from the coaches either. His brother will be on the roster at Providence next year as a freshman and Tres has done nothing but sit the bench at URI for 2 years.
I have to think that he's the odds-on favorite to transfer, short of the guys eligible as a graduate transfer. He hasn't looked overmatched to me in the brief looks he's gotten here, but whether Cox somehow stays or a new coach comes in, I'm not sure why he would have faith that he would get more burn next year. Thomas and Leggett (in that order) are probably the guys I'd give the greatest percentage chance of staying at URI.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Remember when we were recruiting him hard, and he picked Xavier.
Now going on his 3rd school.

1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Remember when we were recruiting him hard, and he picked Xavier.

I’ll forever remember Bishop for giving us one of the best/most awkward recruiting photos of all time. IIRC, he had just come off an official to X, Cox and Co. did a last minute in-home to try and salvage the recruitment which produced this photo. Bishop committed to X days later.

And then we went on to sign Greg Hammond over Tyler Burton.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
I have to think that he's the odds-on favorite to transfer, short of the guys eligible as a graduate transfer. He hasn't looked overmatched to me in the brief looks he's gotten here, but whether Cox somehow stays or a new coach comes in, I'm not sure why he would have faith that he would get more burn next year. Thomas and Leggett (in that order) are probably the guys I'd give the greatest percentage chance of staying at URI.
Berry's case is a bit different because he's from Tenn not the northeast corridor like the others. But , I think all the players would be wise ,and not act on immediate emotion and attachment to Cox , to hold on, see who new coach is and talk with the new coach. Hopefully The new coach will benefit all the players but there's definitely going to be a couple that will greatly benefit he may be one. Plus I'm sure if it works out he would like to be here in state with his brother
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

STC wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Remember when we were recruiting him hard, and he picked Xavier.

I’ll forever remember Bishop for giving us one of the best/most awkward recruiting photos of all time. IIRC, he had just come off an official to X, Cox and Co. did a last minute in-home to try and salvage the recruitment which produced this photo. Bishop committed to X days later.

Anthony Walker avg 5.2 for Miami
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah, looking back now the Big 3 that Cox wanted to build (Bishop, Ant Walker, McLeod) none have really excelled.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry exploring 2022 transfer market

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Excellent player and obviously his dad played here. Maybe , or probably we would have no shot, but there will be a lot of guys out there for the next coach. And I would still be hopeful that a couple or a few of the guys will decide to come back after the new coach is named and they talk with him
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah, looking back now the Big 3 that Cox wanted to build (Bishop, Ant Walker, McLeod) none have really excelled.
Yeah Bishop is a huggge bust

Very average A-10 player. Maybe below average.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
I remember Cordell the transfer from Wake , good to see his son doing well , our new coach going to need to work that portal
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
I remember Cordell the transfer from Wake , good to see his son doing well , our new coach going to need to work that portal
IIRC, Cordell is coaching up in Canada. Although I might be wrong.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Taylor Funk one of the better bigs and stretch 4 in the A10 entering the portal.

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Is Funk on the Van Wilder plan?
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Taylor Funk one of the better bigs and stretch 4 in the A10 entering the portal.

This guy has given us fits for what seems like forever

I could see him in the Big East
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

The transfer portal will continue to give the new coach an opportunity to turn the program back on the right track a lot faster. They will keep coming

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

GW's sophomore Joe Bamisile CG (6'4") and a former 4* averaged 16.3 pts/ 5 rebs (21-22) entered the portal.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

If Bamisile transfers, it'll be his third team in three years. However, the coach that recruited him got fired.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also if Archie gets our job is it possible he can pluck a couple transfers that he recruited to IU ??
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Local kid.

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Local kid.

I didn't even know he was still playing - He didn't this entire year for Vermont. It didn't seem like he was an A-10 level player when he was logging regular minutes.
0 x