The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Good chance the Bonnies start 5 transfers due to roster turnover:

Kyrell Luc (PG) - 2022 Patriot League ROY, Averaged 13 pts/3.6 rebs/ 2.4 assists. 3 years eligibility
Moses Flowers (G) - Averaged 14.1 pts, AEC all-conference honors. 2 years eligibility
Daryl Banks (G)- Averaged 13.5 pts during the NCAAT (St. Peters). 2 years eligibility
Anquan Hill (6'9"PF) - NEC- ROY, averaged almost 8 pts/ 5 rebs. 3 years eligibility.
Chad Venning (6'10"C) - Averaged 7.2 pts/3 rebs (Morgan State). 3 years eligibility.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Good chance the Bonnies start 5 transfers due to roster turnover:

Kyrell Luc (PG) - 2022 Patriot League ROY, Averaged 13 pts/3.6 rebs/ 2.4 assists. 3 years eligibility
Moses Flowers (G) - Averaged 14.1 pts, AEC all-conference honors. 2 years eligibility
Daryl Banks (G)- Averaged 13.5 pts during the NCAAT (St. Peters). 2 years eligibility
Anquan Hill (6'9"PF) - NEC- ROY, averaged almost 8 pts/ 5 rebs. 3 years eligibility.
Chad Venning (6'10"C) - Averaged 7.2 pts/3 rebs (Morgan State). 3 years eligibility.
All five of their starters were seniors last year. I don't really think we should be killin' guys if they decide they don't want to spend a fifth year with a team. I also don't know enough about St. Bonaventure to know why they don't have any non-transfers ready to step into that role, since usually, most squads stagger their graduation years a bit more, if they can.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Good chance the Bonnies start 5 transfers due to roster turnover:

All five of their starters were seniors last year. I don't really think we should be killin' guys if they decide they don't want to spend a fifth year with a team. I also don't know enough about St. Bonaventure to know why they don't have any non-transfers ready to step into that role, since usually, most squads stagger their graduation years a bit more, if they can.
SG, they only return 3 players from last season's roster.
Mellouk and Rumpel - Both currently Rfr (didn't play 21-22)
Tadjore- Soph, played 12 games last season as a freshman.

Yann Farell (6'6''/wing)- Their most highly rated recruit (4*) has a chance to break into their starting lineup.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I don't think it will happen, but if Archie wants some immediate depth/experience in the frontcourt, how about Warren Williams (6'9"/240)
I also think he is a better option than Traore who recently visited.
He only ties up a scholarship for 22-23.

He recently averaged (in 4 games for Jamaica) at the FIBA 2023 World Cup Pre-Qualifiers:
12 pts (55% FG)/ 10 rebs/ 2.5 APG.

Had a career average of 9 pts at Manhattan.
2021- All MAAC
2019 - All MAAC Rookie Team.

He prepped at St. Benedicts (2 state championships NJ), so Woodward is probably aware of him.

The pickings for bigs in the portal is getting very slim, so I thought I would throw his name out.

1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Archie doesn’t want anyone with 1 year of elegibility
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Archie doesn’t want anyone with 1 year of elegibility
That's why I started off saying it probably won't happen.

But since Juco big Traore just visited with only 2 years of eligibility, I thought Williams would be a nice and may be a better option.
He just entered the portal and a possible Woodward connection.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I mean, he recruited Malik back.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Are we pretending there’s not a difference between a returning upperclassman who’s looked to as a leader by the 3 other returning players and a 1 year rando?
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Are we pretending there’s not a difference between a returning upperclassman who’s looked to as a leader by the 3 other returning players and a 1 year rando?
There is absolutely a difference, but a one year player is a one year player.

Archie will only have Malik for one year.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I would also add... Archie is still a coach. Pretty much every coach has wiggle room in all of their statements. If Chet Holmgren decides at the last minute he doesn't want to go to the NBA draft, and wants to play at URI for one year, then I suspect Archie wouldn't turn him down. I think this should also be kept in mind when it comes to off-season player workouts. I highly, highly doubt he would ever say something like, "Well, we were expecting more from John Smith, but he's kind of disappointing now that we have him in here for workouts." (The professional equivalent is an athlete saying they're in "the best shape of their life!" as they head into training camp, whether we're talking NBA, MLB or NFL.)
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

There is absolutely a difference, but a one year player is a one year player.

Archie will only have Malik for one year.
He’s not a 1 year player tho he’s in his third year at URI. Having 1 year of eligibility left and being a 1 year player aren’t the same thing and you know exactly what Archie meant…it’s just you being intentionally obtuse.
2 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

There’s this guy from Greece named Aris Tsourgiannis that some of you guys might be familiar with that still might of a year left of college eligibility 👀 👀 👀
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I would also add... Archie is still a coach. Pretty much every coach has wiggle room in all of their statements. If Chet Holmgren decides at the last minute he doesn't want to go to the NBA draft, and wants to play at URI for one year, then I suspect Archie wouldn't turn him down. I think this should also be kept in mind when it comes to off-season player workouts. I highly, highly doubt he would ever say something like, "Well, we were expecting more from John Smith, but he's kind of disappointing now that we have him in here for workouts." (The professional equivalent is an athlete saying they're in "the best shape of their life!" as they head into training camp, whether we're talking NBA, MLB or NFL.)
Yeah, exactly. Archie doesn't want anyone with 1 year of eligibility until the right guy comes around who only has 1 year of eligibility.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago There’s this guy from Greece named Aris Tsourgiannis that some of you guys might be familiar with that still might of a year left of college eligibility 👀 👀 👀
Aris jokes always kill. 💀
5 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago There’s this guy from Greece named Aris Tsourgiannis that some of you guys might be familiar with that still might of a year left of college eligibility 👀 👀 👀
Aris jokes always kill. 💀
That’s a foul statement! 😁😁
7 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

In balancing the classes, a one year player makes sense. (No inside info)
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

URI picks up a 6'11 former top 100 transfer from Alabama by way of Paris in Alex Tchikou. A ruptured Achilles kept him out of 20-21. He appeared in limited action for Alabama as a freshman this past season.

"As a high school prospect, he had the Gaels (St. Mary's) in his final eight. The highly coveted big man has been one of the most sought-after prospects in the transfer portal this offseason. Tchikou has been contacted by Florida State, Xavier, USC, Washington, Arizona State, Georgetown, Wake Forest, Cincinnati, Cal, Ole Miss, Memphis, UCSB, Tennessee State, and Georgia Tech, among others, according to Travis Branham of 247sports."
https://www.on3.com/college/alabama-cri ... rys-gaels/
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Bos, I watched the video 78 posted in the recruiting thread. Pre-injury, he looks athletic with a real nice handle and smooth outside stroke. An exciting prospect. Keep him close to the trainer and doctors to keep that Achilles healthy! Go Rhody!
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Look no further than this to see how comatose we had been the last few years. Look at the names we’re beating out and where kids are coming from.

Good balance of hs recruits, and a patient, thoughtful approach to the portal.

Getting some of the best talent this program has seen in 4 years - but with a plan and defined role for everyone coming in.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Look no further than this to see how comatose we had been the last few years. Look at the names we’re beating out and where kids are coming from.

Good balance of hs recruits, and a patient, thoughtful approach to the portal.

Getting some of the best talent this program has seen in 4 years - but with a plan and defined role for everyone coming in.
Man to say our future is unbelievably bright is a huge understatement
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Emoni Bates to Eastern Michigan…

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I know several on this board (not necessarily me) are concerned about recruiting rankings.
So, I thought I would list some of the top HS/prep recruited transfers to the A10.
All had 4* rankings on a least 1 major site.

Fordham - Khalid Moore (F -Georgia Tech)
George Mason - Victor Bailey (G - Tenn)
UMass - Matt Cross (F- Louisville), Rahsool Diggins (PG- UConn), Wildens Leveque (PF/C- S. Carolina), Gianni Thompson (F -BC)
SLU - Jake Forrester (PF- Temple), Javon Pickett (CG/SF- Missouri)
St. Joe's - Lynn Greer 111 (PG - Dayton)
URI - Anthony Harris (G - UNC), Brandon Weston (CG- Seton Hall), Alex Tchikou (F- Alabama)
VCU - Zeb Jackson (G - Mich), Brandon Johns (PF - Mich)
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks for posting, Jersey. Will have to read this.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sounding like there will soon be no limit to number of transfers - with no sit-out requirements.

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
Not sure how kids who transfer 3 and 4 times are going to actually graduate and get their degrees.
Great to give them more freedom, but graduation rates have soared overall in recent years in college athletics … and now I worry that it’ll go the other way.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is going to be free agency frenzy
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You had to know it was coming. It actually is already here, nobody has been rejected that I know of. Waivers for everybody, now just don't need to waste time and effort on the waivers.

Fact is that the NCAA is scared of lawsuits, and is losing power/control at an accelerating rate.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Laughable lack of structure.
0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

You need 60 credits at any school to graduate. That's two years.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Self told the coaches he’s not a fan of the transfer portal. That would include news that the NCAA Division I Council recently recommended eliminating the restriction against athletes transferring more than once. The NCAA Board of Directors is expected to make this rule official on Aug. 3. Once it is passed, players conceivably could play at four different schools in four years.

“I think it’s a terrible rule,” Self said in Tulsa. “We’ve allowed all of these avenues for kids to hit a wall and go around it instead of going through it. That’s what the portal has done, but it’s also good for (some) kids. If a kid (can’t get playing time) at a place or there are real things going on, then he should leave. But allowing a kid to just leave because a coach called him out and disciplined him, or because (of a lack of playing time) — that’s going to be the norm for the rest of time. They’re not putting that genie back in the bottle,” Self added.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kansas-jayha ... 23500.html
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bill Self who coached at Oral Roberts, Tulsa, and Illinois before Kansas. Why didn't he go through the wall at previous stops, why did he continue around walls to better jobs?
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Bill Self who coached at Oral Roberts, Tulsa, and Illinois before Kansas. Why didn't he go through the wall at previous stops, why did he continue around walls to better jobs?
The lack of humility and the outright hypocrisy in some of these guys is downright hilarious.

I agree that it's tough to get connected to a team where the pieces wholly change every year - but by his argument, every coach should just stick it out wherever they start.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bamisile from GW expected to start for the Sooners 22-23.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Bamisile from GW expected to start for the Sooners 22-23.

Was Sherfield @ Nevada ??
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Bamisile from GW expected to start for the Sooners 22-23.

Yes, he was a stud there, averaged about 19 pts.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago

Yes, he was a stud there, averaged about 19 pts.
Yeah I saw him a lot there he’s good
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Interesting read.

Scholarships guaranteed for transfers by school through graduation, with exceptions.
Windows for entering the portal.

They decided at this time not to automatically grant eligibility waivers for players who do not meet the one-time rule.
Specific standards enacted for immediate eligibility waivers for multi-transfers.

0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I just want to say does it even matter any more...College sports are completely different then a few years ago. It is no longer about player growth and what he or she will do in their Sophomore year then Junior year ect. Its about today and only today. Lets not kid ourselves Miller has
more 23 committed then scholarships because of players leaving.
This is the new college sports I accept it but I do not like it!
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Just curious - does anyone know the number of players who entered the portal who didn't find a new home?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NHRamFan wrote: 1 year ago Just curious - does anyone know the number of players who entered the portal who didn't find a new home?
396 still available per evanmiya.com

1,299 completed transfers

https://evanmiya.com/
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
NHRamFan wrote: 1 year ago Just curious - does anyone know the number of players who entered the portal who didn't find a new home?
396 per evanmiya.com

Remember that number also includes walk-ons.
Also many players transferred down to Juco and below Div. 1.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

396 per evanmiya.com

The question was how many players entered the portal and didn’t find a new home. It’s all in the website. Lists all the jnfo for every player remaining in the portal. Some are even still entering the portal.

Some continue to find a new home.

Portalpalooza.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

396 per evanmiya.com

The question was how many players entered the portal and didn’t find a new home. It’s all in the website. Lists all the jnfo for every player remaining in the portal. Some are even still entering the portal.

Some continue to find a new home.

Portalpalooza.
Yes Ramster, but shouldn't be left with the impression that these are all scholarship student athletes.

Like you said the portal continues to be a revolving door.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I used to have a problem with coaches recruiting over the limit and pushing players out. I felt that scholarship offers were a four year commitment that should be honored. Since all the transfer rule changes and with players able to transfer without penalty and now doing so in great numbers, my thinking has dramatically changed. I now view players on the roster having one year contracts which are only renewable upon mutual consent. Players can leave by their own decision for better prospects and coaches can choose not to keep them based on performance and other better options. College basketball is today a landscape of mercenaries - be the coaches or players. All the recent changes (stipends, NIL deals, open transfer policy) have brought this about. The old collegiate amateur sports model is dead as it is now more akin to professional sports.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I used to have a problem with coaches recruiting over the limit and pushing players out. I felt that scholarship offers were a four year commitment that should be honored. Since all the transfer rule changes and with players able to transfer without penalty and now doing so in great numbers, my thinking has dramatically changed. I now view players on the roster having one year contracts which are only renewable upon mutual consent. Players can leave by their own decision for better prospects and coaches can choose not to keep them based on performance and other options. College basketball is today a landscape of mercenaries - be the coaches or players. All the recent changes (stipends, NIL deals, open transfer policy) have brought this about. The old collegiate sports model is dead as it is now more akin to professional sports.
Yep, wake up to the new era of college athletics.
It's getting like pro sports., hard to keep track of the rosters, ever-changing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I used to have a problem with coaches recruiting over the limit and pushing players out. I felt that scholarship offers were a four year commitment that should be honored. Since all the transfer rule changes and with players able to transfer without penalty and now doing so in great numbers, my thinking has dramatically changed. I now view players on the roster having one year contracts which are only renewable upon mutual consent. Players can leave by their own decision for better prospects and coaches can choose not to keep them based on performance and other options. College basketball is today a landscape of mercenaries - be the coaches or players. All the recent changes (stipends, NIL deals, open transfer policy) have brought this about. The old collegiate sports model is dead as it is now more akin to professional sports.
It's getting like pro sports., hard to keep track of the rosters, ever-changing.
It’s worse than pro sports - and has very quickly gotten that way. College Basketball is worse than College Football. Much higher percentage of the roster changing each year in Basketball than in Football.

Pro Basketball keeps players longer than College Basketball.

Watch as attendance in college basketball continues to trend downward. Reduced loyalty of players will result in reduced loyalty by fans.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

It’s worse than pro sports - and has very quickly gotten that way. College Basketball is worse than College Football. Much higher percentage of the roster changing each year in Basketball than in Football.

Pro Basketball keeps players longer than College Basketball.

Watch as attendance in college basketball continues to trend downward. Reduced loyalty of players will result in reduced loyalty by fans.
It probably has gotten worse, but that's today's world.

Let's not just restrict this to the business of sports.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I used to have a problem with coaches recruiting over the limit and pushing players out. I felt that scholarship offers were a four year commitment that should be honored. Since all the transfer rule changes and with players able to transfer without penalty and now doing so in great numbers, my thinking has dramatically changed. I now view players on the roster having one year contracts which are only renewable upon mutual consent. Players can leave by their own decision for better prospects and coaches can choose not to keep them based on performance and other better options. College basketball is today a landscape of mercenaries - be the coaches or players. All the recent changes (stipends, NIL deals, open transfer policy) have brought this about. The old collegiate amateur sports model is dead as it is now more akin to professional sports.
This is spot on. We’ll put.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers