The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Scholarships were always for 1 year "officially". Coaches oftentimes promised recruits otherwise unofficially.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I used to have a problem with coaches recruiting over the limit and pushing players out. I felt that scholarship offers were a four year commitment that should be honored. Since all the transfer rule changes and with players able to transfer without penalty and now doing so in great numbers, my thinking has dramatically changed. I now view players on the roster having one year contracts which are only renewable upon mutual consent. Players can leave by their own decision for better prospects and coaches can choose not to keep them based on performance and other options. College basketball is today a landscape of mercenaries - be the coaches or players. All the recent changes (stipends, NIL deals, open transfer policy) have brought this about. The old collegiate sports model is dead as it is now more akin to professional sports.
Yep, wake up to the new era of college athletics.
It's getting like pro sports., hard to keep track of the rosters, ever-changing.
It’s worse than pro sports - and has very quickly gotten that way. College Basketball is worse than College Football. Much higher percentage of the roster changing each year in Basketball than in Football.

Pro Basketball keeps players longer than College Basketball.

Watch as attendance in college basketball continues to trend downward. Reduced loyalty of players will result in reduced loyalty by fans.
Eh I don't know about that. I mean yes, it gets harder to "fall in love" with players - but how it will affect us really remains to be seen. Cox was a roster sieve before the transfer rule hit full swing. You can't really attribute our revolving door on anything but him. I don't think we'll ever be a Fordham, where you're all-but assured to lose any talent you have in your lineup.

There's not as many spots to play in college basketball as any other sport. I think it's been shown that you can make it big from anywhere - as long as you have the right support in place. Us investing in Archie means I think we'll keep our nucleus together. The guys outside of that will leave no matter what team they're on.

We'll benefit as much as we'll suffer. Weston, Harris, Tchikou all come from higher level programs. Bray from a lower level. Bilau from a similar type program.

Think about how much this team would suck this year, and how much we'd have to suffer if not for these rules? Think of how much longer this rebuild becomes?

Potentially still have the twins. You wouldn't really have a PG. No depth that could help you this year.

Yes there are negatives to this new era of college basketball, but there are positives as well. Water will find it's level.

I don't think there's any "reduced loyalty" incoming from fans. Fans are usually alums. They usually stick with their school and not a player. And whether collegiate or professional - when, outside of Tom Brady maybe, do you ever see fans give up on their team and follow a player?

Do I love having the same guys on my teams year in and out? Absolutely? Would I be really care any less if Rhody hot swapped an entire roster from this year to next and made an Final Four run? No. Neither would you.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I know it was discussed here about the portal and how it affects the Mid-Majors.
My feeling is and from what we saw the last couple of seasons the Mid- Majors get the short end of the deal.
Plus, the new rules are just making it that much more difficult for us, the talent gap just gets wider.

Yes, we all understand that the better players are going to the bigger programs.
So yeah, the portal will continually hurt our conference more than it helps us.

On this list there are no A10 players mentioned and only 2 transfers to schools not part of the P6 (Memphis, San Diego State).
By the way 7 players were mentioned going to the BE.

0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I have a feeling if we build it, they will come.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Busting Brackets Top 100 Impact Transfers, A10 listed below:
46. Neal Quinn (Richmond)
71. Matt Cross (UMass)
75. David Skogman (Davidson)
82. Dae Dae Grant (Duquesne)
84. Brayon Freeman (URI)
85. Victor Bailey (GM)
93. Bryce Golden (Loyola/Chicago)

https://bustingbrackets.com/2022/09/26/ ... 23-season/
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I know it was discussed here about the portal and how it affects the Mid-Majors.
My feeling is and from what we saw the last couple of seasons the Mid- Majors get the short end of the deal.
Plus, the new rules are just making it that much more difficult for us, the talent gap just gets wider.

Yes, we all understand that the better players are going to the bigger programs.
So yeah, the portal will continually hurt our conference more than it helps us.

On this list there are no A10 players mentioned and only 2 transfers to schools not part of the P6 (Memphis, San Diego State).
By the way 7 players were mentioned going to the BE.

The problem with these lists will always be how to rate the impact of a high level P6 recruit who doesn’t get playing time his freshmen year. It is easy to say the really good Mid-major player is an impact transfer going to a P6 school because they have college stats to base it on. However, those stats do not necessarily translate to the P6 league. Meanwhile, the player who was not good enough to crack the lineup at a high level P6 program could be just as good or better than the mid-major player who is the “impact” transfer. Honestly to me it is just shuffling the deck except for a few really special mid-major players.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago
Interesting. I knew we recruited him in 2020 when he transferred from Gardner Webb.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

So he would be eligible for this year I assume ?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

He'd be an absolute game changer but he's probably going high major
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago He'd be an absolute game changer but he's probably going high major
He was completely irrelevant as a high major player, hopefully that steers him away from the big boys.
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jose Perez will not be coming to Rhody...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ramfan22
ARD

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Jose Perez will not be coming to Rhody...
WVU
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Jose Perez will not be coming to Rhody...
WVU
He will be a walk-on, WV is out of scholarships.
He developed an immediate relationship with Huggins.

Perez is enrolling now, and they applied for a waiver for him to play immediately.
They hope for approval because the coach was fired 2 weeks prior to the season.

Some speculating he is getting a nice NIL deal.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

First day of classes for the 2022 fall semester at WVU was August 17th. Allowing him to enroll at this late date and be eligible to play bball is really a mockerey of being called a student athlete. WVU obviously has no academic standards at all. Granted Perez got a raw deal with his coach being fired at this time of the year but to allow him to enroll at a new school and play immediately is absurd.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Insane lol. How’s that even work? He can’t pass any classes this semester.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago First day of classes for the 2022 fall semester at WVU was August 17th. Allowing him to enroll at this late date and be eligible to play bball is really a mockerey of being called a student athlete. WVU obviously has no academic standards at all. Granted Perez got a raw deal with his coach being fired at this time of the year but to allow him to enroll at a new school and play immediately is absurd.
If he came here and was able to play right away I highly doubt you’d make this same post.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago First day of classes for the 2022 fall semester at WVU was August 17th. Allowing him to enroll at this late date and be eligible to play bball is really a mockerey of being called a student athlete. WVU obviously has no academic standards at all. Granted Perez got a raw deal with his coach being fired at this time of the year but to allow him to enroll at a new school and play immediately is absurd.
Completely agree. Here is West Virginia's academic calendar:

August 17 - On-Campus First Day of Classes
August 23 - Last Day to Register, Add New Courses, Make Section Changes, Change Pass/Fail and Audit
September 5 - Labor Day Recess: University Closed
October 6 - Mid-Check Grades Due
October 7 - Fall Break
November 8 - General Election Day: University Closed
November 15 - Last Day to Drop a Class and Last Day to Withdraw from the University
November 19-27 - Fall Recess
December 8 - Last Day of Classes
December 9 - Prep Day for Finals
December 12-16 - Final Exams

How can a student possibly succeed this semester based on their academic calendar and only choosing West Virginia this weekend? I'd be fine with it if he finished out the fall semester at Manhattan and was immediately eligible for West Virginia once his fall semester was over, but this is a joke
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

The players are no longer Student Athletes. They are Assets of the school who preform to make money for themselves and the school.
Academics is not part of the equation.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

August 23 - Last Day to Register, Add New Courses, Make Section Changes, Change Pass/Fail and Audit
October 7 - Fall Break
November 15 - Last Day to Drop a Class and Last Day to Withdraw from the University

How can a student possibly succeed this semester based on their academic calendar and only choosing West Virginia this weekend? I'd be fine with it if he finished out the fall semester at Manhattan and was immediately eligible for West Virginia once his fall semester was over, but this is a joke

Did you really take the time to research WVUs academic calendar because you're mad we missed out on a kid and he might be able to play right away?
0 x
Go Rhody
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
If he came here and was able to play right away I highly doubt you’d make this same post.
This would never happen here.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago
This would never happen here.
Anthony Harris would probably agree.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Get on campus now, enroll for the Spring semester, play in the first game after finals end in December. I don’t see that as something to get worked up over. By all accounts, Perez left his former school in good academic standing. That was not the case for Harris, and Harris had all kinds of time and opportunities to make it right. Even if there is some kind of miraculous waiver that allows him to be eligible for game 1, good for him.
Last edited by ace 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

October 7 - Fall Break

Did you really take the time to research WVUs academic calendar because you're mad we missed out on a kid and he might be able to play right away?
That research took approximately half as long as it takes for you to routinely shit on people and make a joke of yourself. And I'm not mad in the least we missed out, but I am mad that this whole process has become a joke
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

October 7 - Fall Break

Yeah I agree! How dare someone take 4-8 seconds to google something like "WVU academic calendar" then copy and paste it into this window, to back up a claim made with evidence!?

There's no place on here for such actions. We only want uninformed, unsubstantiated, angry blabber!

Does it really bother you enough when not a single college basketball game has been played to come at someone for such an innocuous post?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I've never been so ready for a game against quinnipiac in my life. 😐
6 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago The players are no longer Student Athletes. They are Assets of the school who preform to make money for themselves and the school.
Academics is not part of the equation.
Your post resonates with me, RJV. But, I would add “primarily” to your first sentence as in, the players are no longer primarily student athletes. I think education still is a part but is no longer a priority (and hasn’t been for awhile at the P5/P6 level excluding some educationally motivated individuals).

I also think that although it is a minimal concern at the P5/P6 level, the priority goes up as you move away from the P5’s and P6’s. But, to what degree? I don’t have a quantifiable measure for that.

Just my two cents with no empirical evidence to back it up.

To clarify…I am only considering the major sports of basketball and football. Nor is it a broad brush painting of all individuals or schools at the P5/P6 level. There are still individuals and institutions that value education and make accommodations to make it do-able to be a student-athlete.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hey, we need a rebounder!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Try to keep discussion about players who transferred in past years here, whereas 2024-25 transfers should go here:

viewtopic.php?t=10001
0 x