12/19 | Charleston | 2:00PM (CANCELED)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

12/19 | Charleston | 2:00PM (CANCELED)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs College of Charleston
Entertainment & Sports Arena, Washington, DC
Sunday, December 19, 2021
2:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: FloSports?? I think it might be. Can’t confirm.
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Charleston Fan Forum

After a lopsided win in Milwaukee, the University of Rhode Island head to The District to take on the College of Charleston in the DC Holiday Hoops Fest. This game will be played at what has to be the most generic venue name ever, The Entertainment & Sports Arena. This will be a homecoming of sorts for David Cox as he is a native of the nation’s capital & started his coaching career as an assistant coach at Archbishop Carroll High School in DC. Along with Cox, Rhody has 4 players from Washington DC (The Mitchell Twins, Ish, & Walker) as well as Abdou Samb who is from Upper Marlboro, MD which is a short drive away. Although my guess is that this will be a sparse crowd, there could potentially be a lot of Rhody fans in attendance. College of Charleston is lead by first year head coach Pat Kelsey who is familiar with the Atlantic 10 as he was a guard for Xavier in the mid to late 90s. Speaking of the mid 90’s, the first time these two teams faced off was the 1996 NIT tournament where URI won in overtime my sophomore year at the Providence Civic Center. (It was a double header & Providence played Saint Joe’s in the second game & had PC won it would have been a PC vs URI postseason NIT match-up.) Back to present day, the Cougars are led by Bucknell transfer, senior forward John Meeks who is averaging 14 & 5. Meeks did miss their last game, so it will be interesting to see if he plays tonight (Thursday) against Stetson. Along with Meeks, the Cougars are overcoming a slew of injuries to other key players like Babacar Faye, Osinachi Smart & Dalton Bolton. Senior guard Dimitrius Underwood runs the point & puts up solid numbers overall, averaging 9.7/6.7/3.6. The good news for Rhody fans is he is prone to turn the ball over, averaging 3.8 per game. To give you a sense of how many that is, it is even more than Makhi averages per game. Ha ha. Charleston & URI are pretty much equal as a team from behind the arc. The Cougars best 3 shooters (those who have made 15+ three-pointers) are the aforementioned Smith & Meeks as well as Brenden Tucker are shooting a combined 46% from 3. Charleston isn’t quite known for their defense (79.5 PA) and they have given up 90+ in their 3 losses, although one of those losses was at #18 North Carolina. Charleston is going to want to run. URI will have to play it more at their pace. They start to try to run with them & then Makhi will start thinking he is a point guard & bad things happen. This could definitely be a game where we see Thomas running the point a bit more if the pace is faster than usual. I am guessing URI will be favored by about 6. I think it will be a bit of a high scoring game for Rhody standards. Rhody wins this one in front of the “home” crowd, 82-70. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
7-3, 0-0 in the CAA
Last season: 9-10, 6-4 in the CAA

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 122 (87)
RPI: 71 (60)
KenPom: 185 (75)
BPI: 202 (66)
Sagarin: 154 (85)

Leaders:
Points – Reyne Smith 14.2 (Fr., G)
Rebounds – Dimitrius Underwood 6.7 (Sr., G)
Assists – Dimitrius Underwood 3.6 (Sr., G) (3.2 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 3-1
H: 2-0, A: 0-1, N: 1-0
Most Recent Matchup: 11/13/18 66-55 L at Charleston
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – Charleston
Match-up Predictor: 78.9 Chance of URI Winning
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Re: 12/19 | Charleston | 2:00PM (FloSports??)

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

guys get it for home town games in every sport.

Rams by 3.
0 x
:lol:
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My favorite game versus Charleston was the NIT doubleheader back in 1996. Rhody won the 2nd round game (had first beaten Marist at Keaney 82-77 to advance) against the Cougars in OT 62-58 at the PCC. St Joe's won the other game against Providence 82-62. Rhody lost to the Hawks in the next NIT game in Philly 76-59. Much of this URI team would then take the program to the NCAA Tournament the next three seasons.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

………FWIW…….Team Rankings has their # 76 URI with 76% chance to beat their # 175 ranked CoC…….with URI @ 22% to dance……..onward we go, not so sure it is upward…….go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I did expect the Milwaukee game to be closer.
But we aren't playing at the level to take any team for granted.

Charleston was leading Noth Carolina at halftime 42-36, before NC pulled away in the 2nd half.
They did have NC worried and a little concerned for more than half the game.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago My favorite game versus Charleston was the NIT doubleheader back in 1996. Rhody won the 2nd round game (had first beaten Marist at Keaney 82-77 to advance) against the Cougars in OT 62-58 at the PCC. St Joe's won the other game against Providence 82-62. Rhody lost to the Hawks in the next NIT game in Philly 76-59. Much of this URI team would then take the program to the NCAA Tournament the next three seasons.
This reminds me of my fraternity big brother's father, who was the most hardcore Rhody fan ever. At the time of this doubleheader, he was in the hospital in pretty rough shape. Son goes to see him the next morning and asks how he's doing. "This is the greatest day of my life," Dad responded without batting an eye. "Rhody won and Pee-C lost."

The mental hospital was in a snit because the Fryizz didn't get into the NCAA. The Fryizz responded by rolling over and playing dead in the NIT.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago
University of Rhode Island vs College of Charleston
Entertainment & Sports Arena, Washington, DC
Sunday, December 19, 2021
2:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: FloSports?? I think it might be. Can’t confirm.
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Charleston Fan Forum

After a lopsided win in Milwaukee, the University of Rhode Island head to The District to take on the College of Charleston in the DC Holiday Hoops Fest. This game will be played at what has to be the most generic venue name ever, The Entertainment & Sports Arena.
Fun fact: ESPN was first known as the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The march of the tomato cans rolls on….
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We gonna be able to stream this game somewhere ??
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

………still a few days out, wonder if the DC folks running this event will pull the plug…….get the teams in Town, play the games, risk of exposure, then back home……..any idea when the team leaves for DC?……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I canceled the Flo Sports but I still have it 1 month from the Tulsa and BC games so we’re good if it’s on Flo but I don’t think it’s in there
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Charleston is a good program. This will be a decent test.
0 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ………still a few days out, wonder if the DC folks running this event will pull the plug…….get the teams in Town, play the games, risk of exposure, then back home……..any idea when the team leaves for DC?……..
My Congressman's office told me things in DC are closing if they aren't already. Was hoping to visit but thats not gonna happen now.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ………still a few days out, wonder if the DC folks running this event will pull the plug…….get the teams in Town, play the games, risk of exposure, then back home……..any idea when the team leaves for DC?……..
Seems pretty pointless to cancel the game if both teams are healthy and able to play.
0 x
Go Rhody
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago Back to present day, the Cougars are led by Bucknell transfer, senior forward John Meeks who is averaging 14 & 5. Meeks did miss their last game, so it will be interesting to see if he plays tonight (Thursday) against Stetson. Along with Meeks, the Cougars are overcoming a slew of injuries to other key players like Babacar Faye, Osinachi Smart & Dalton Bolton.
John Meeks did not play in their loss to Stetson last night. Dalton Bolton also did not play. Conversely, Faye & Smart both played yesterday. Having Meeks out on Sunday will be a big boost for Rhody.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago
spookydog wrote: 2 years ago Back to present day, the Cougars are led by Bucknell transfer, senior forward John Meeks who is averaging 14 & 5. Meeks did miss their last game, so it will be interesting to see if he plays tonight (Thursday) against Stetson. Along with Meeks, the Cougars are overcoming a slew of injuries to other key players like Babacar Faye, Osinachi Smart & Dalton Bolton.
John Meeks did not play in their loss to Stetson last night. Dalton Bolton also did not play. Conversely, Faye & Smart both played yesterday. Having Meeks out on Sunday will be a big boost for Rhody.
Yes saw that, Meeks is their top player, scoring leader, and 2nd rebounds.
He has an ankle injury, not sure if he will play Sunday.

Bolon has been out for awhile, did average 9 pts prior to being sidelined.
He also has a foot/ankle injury and it appears to be much more serious.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So how can we watch this?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago So how can we watch this?
I find myself asking the same question, but that's only while I'm watching.
11 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I know the CAA has a partnership with Flo Sports but no indication that this game is on there. There's gotta be some way to watch it, right... right?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
Well played.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bravo.
0 x
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago I know the CAA has a partnership with Flo Sports but no indication that this game is on there. There's gotta be some way to watch it, right... right?
If anyone is planning on attending, maybe they'd be willing to live stream it? We'll all chip in for a case of Shaidzon...
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I had planned on attending, is the game still taking place?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago I had planned on attending, is the game still taking place?
Yes of course, why wouldn't it be?
I haven't heard of any major outbreaks on our team or Charleston.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

It appears that there's no way to watch tomorrow.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Well played.
I had to see this pearl quoted twice before I finally got it. I blame Long Covid Fog Brain.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Was the last game there was no streaming when we blew out Middle Tennessee ??
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 2 years ago Was the last game there was no streaming when we blew out Middle Tennessee ??
There was supposed to be a stream for that one and it never worked. But yeah I believe you’re correct.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

If there really is no way to watch, that’s a joke.

University should be embarrassed
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

It’s funny cuz this is one of the better games of OOC too
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago It appears that there's no way to watch tomorrow.
I imagined the discussion on scheduling this game.....

Basketball Person One: "Hey, let's go play a neutral site game in DC against the College of Charleston! It'll be great and it won't be televised!"

Basketball Person Two: "Excellent! Schedule it!"

I looked at the over 400 A10 non-exhibition games and there are only five are not televised. This is one of them.

Tell me you are small-time without telling me you are small-time
Last edited by RoadyJay 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
I'd like a little more explanation on this... Forgive me if "Completely out of both teams' control" is something I'm not buying right now. Wouldn't this be part of any agreement to play in this game?
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago It appears that there's no way to watch tomorrow.
I imagined the discussion on scheduling this game.....

Basketaball Person One: "Hey, let's go play a neutral site game in DC against the College of Charleston! It'll be great and it won't be televised!"

Basketball Person Two: "Excellent! Schedule it!"

I looked at the over 400 A10 non-exhibition games and there are only five are not televised. This is one of them.

Tell me you are small-time without telling me you are small-time
Our "time" has shrunk?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I'd like a little more explanation on this... Forgive me if "Completely out of both teams' control" is something I'm not buying right now. Wouldn't this be part of any agreement to play in this game?
Yeah, who knows? They could have pitched the event with plans on broadcasting it. Maybe that fell through, or COVID changed plans at the last minute? Do we pull out of the event and risk losing a game at that point? Who really knows, would be curious to hear what happened.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

It’s a neutral site game as part of the DC Holiday Hoops Classic. I imagine whoever is controlling that event is in charge of broadcasts, not the individual schools. That said, it’s wild to put on a college hoops event in 2021 and have no plans to televise it.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I agree. Total BS. Where there is $ and enough 'want to'...things happen.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You can watch WBB on ESPN+ as URI hosts BU today at 1pm at Ryan

URI NET 54 is 2nd in A10

UMASS is 1st NET 49
Fordham 3rd NET 56
VCU 4th NET 64
Dayton 5th NET 87
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Our game has been cancelled
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago I had planned on attending, is the game still taking place?
Game has been canceled.
0 x
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

Rhody Rampage
@RhodyRampage
·
3m
Today’s game is off. Hope everyone on the team is healthy and safe.
Quote Tweet
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
· 4m
Rhode Island’s game today against College of Charleston in DC has been canceled due to COVID issues within the URI program, source told @stadium.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

:roll:
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Game has been canceled.
Crazy, guess with everything going on, not too surprised.
The team was supposed to arrive yesterday, not sure if that happened.

I had planned on being there.
Glad I changed my mind and cancelled our hotel reservations.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Crazy, guess with everything going on, not too surprised.
The team was supposed to arrive yesterday, not sure if that happened.

I had planned on being there.
Glad I changed my mind and cancelled our hotel reservations.
Yeah, that's why I had asked. I had planned on attending, although I'm sure people were coming from much further away. Tough situation all around.
Stone Freeman had posted a tweet yesterday from the arena stating @rhodymbb had arrived. I took it to mean the team is down in DC.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

College basketball is about to get very messy Covid wise. I could say it already is
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Game has been canceled.
That didn’t age well :oops: :oops:
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Game has been canceled.
That didn’t age well :oops: :oops:
Yes, I think I jinxed it.

We managed to get through last season okay, not so now.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wouldn’t be surprised now if the Brown Game 7pm Wednesday gets cancelled.
Next up could be Dayton December 30 at 7pm at the Ryan Center - maybe
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So much for the CofC game not being televised rants :roll:
0 x