Practice Facility

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: Practice Facility

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

The Dude wrote: 7 months ago Guys, this is way more common than some of you may realize or maybe you all do realize it already. The quality within the construction industry and dare I say it, even the design industries are starting to deteriorate at an alarming rate in my opinion. I see it every day. I hear stories all of the time about engineers, who don't understand how concrete can't fit between rebar barely an inch apart or landscape architects who don't put together construction documents and leave it up to the installer or companies that reuse engineer details from an old job on other projects (which leave both themselves and the client liable for copyright infringement at the least and gross negligence at worst if something fails).
I hear companies constantly bitching about building inspectors when building code is the worst way to build something legally. I got a survey PDF from a survey company that had the topography lines drawn wrong. I watch as I drive by houses on a daily basis that have work being done that won't last 5 years. I'm lucky if I find a landscape company that can read a set of plans even though it has a legend.
Most builders don't even buy the right size nails required by code to build certain portions of a house. I had to order mine "special order" from Riverhead Building Supply because they only carried the next size down because that's what all the builders were using.
It's sad & scary. If you knew the stuff that I've seen & heard, you'd never want to get in your car and drive over a bridge or enter a building. Trying to get companies to not cut corners and to follow plans or to even get something designed properly in the first place is a tall task these days in my opinion. A lot of people want the easy way out, the easy money, on a job that is not meant to be easy, but see that is just it...the work is suppose to be hard and not meant for everyone, but more an more bite off more than they can chew and at the expense of the client, or in a worst case scenario, at the expense of people's lives.
When children are taught that their actions don't have consequences and they don't grow up with a sense of responsibility, they grow up to be the same way in adult form quite often. For some, there is no sense of accountability or responsibility to do a job right. I've been involved in commercial, public, & residential projects and all of them have the same exact underlying issues that get in the way; 1)Pride, 2)Greed, & 3)Lack of people with the courage to do what is right even when it is hard (very rarely is doing the right thing easy).
This stuff is only going to become more common as time goes on.
Do you think a person these days is more likely to:
A)Watch a YouTube video on how to do something wrong
OR
B)Read a 50+ page industry related book written by renowned, experienced licensed professionals on how to to something right
Dude, Good post. Greatly appreciated the perspective you presented.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Guess the practice facility still ain’t open?
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Season Ticket Holders get a peek during what used to be called midnight madness…thankfully not at midnight anymore.
IMG_1498.jpeg
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Matt Keebler wrote: 7 months ago Without being too specific, I work for a nationally known equipment & service provider and have worked in all of the athletic complex buildings and buildings across campus for close to 20 years. The way they maintain the facilities on campus is deplorable and the antithesis of how anyone with half a brain would go about it but they simply don't have funding for proper PM programs.

The issues described above have been known about for several years and the dehumidification issue goes all the way back to the design. This has been present from day 1, the supply ductwork from the DHU only goes around three sides of the rink.
update, Boss is now closed until late October/early November. no definitive date provided.

Rumor is Bradford Boss met with the President on the condition of the rink and building that bears his name.
0 x
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Good! It's unacceptable that this 20 year old building is in this condition and a donor should demand accountability
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Oswego State is scheduled for next week I believe?

Where’s the games being played?

Edit looks like first home game 10/6

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/urihoc ... 4-schedule
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

First home game was moved to PC's Schneider Arena. Next three games were moved to Pawtucket. Next home game scheduled for Boss Arena is 11/3
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 7 months ago First home game was moved to PC's Schneider Arena.
That's unfortunate.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There was a men's basketball press event today in Kingston. WLNE-6 had video and it was filmed in the new practice facility.

2 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 7 months ago Good! It's unacceptable that this 20 year old building is in this condition and a donor should demand accountability
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Luis instagram story has some good shots of the facility.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Extended ice arena closure force URI hockey, local teams to relocate
https://rhodycigar.com/2023/09/28/exten ... -relocate/
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 7 months ago Extended ice arena closure force URI hockey, local teams to relocate
https://rhodycigar.com/2023/09/28/exten ... -relocate/
to vegas? like the A's??
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

They can play where I play hockey … the Carolina ice palace … drinks on me after the game at the penalty box !
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Looks like the practice facility is officially open
6 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hallelujah!
1 x
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Man, that looks awesome.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

sevegny7 wrote: 6 months ago

Looks like the practice facility is officially open
Excellent video! Thank you for posting it Sevegny.

Let’s gooooooooo
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Looks great, better than what I thought based on first pictures we saw
0 x
Clapton is God
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Practice officially underway!! Won't be long now!

2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Let’s get this show on the road!

Any and all practice intel will be greatly appreciated.

Let’s goooooooooooo
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

How does fall practice differ from summer practice?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

KevanBoyles wrote: 6 months ago How does fall practice differ from summer practice?
The weather is cooler? :D

Sorry….couldn’t help myself, KB.

But seriously, I think the practices may be less focused on skills and more focused on making sure the regular rotation players (as determined from summer practice) get much more scrimmage time together against the non-regular rotation players to smooth out the rough edges on the various O sets and D sets they will be playing. And also on situational game scenarios.

Maybe the intensity level is turned up a notch, too ? Although, Archie is pretty intense and perhaps doesn’t fluctuate on practice intensity.

That’s my best guess off the top of my head. There are probably other things I am overlooking. Hopefully others here will jump in on your question for clarity sake.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Thanks JD.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

If I recall correctly Archie indicated, at the Spring Evening with Archie event, the Fall practices focuses are the installing the offense and defense. Much of the summer stuff was player documented evaluations, skill development etc. JD captured it.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Thanks 105.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 6 months ago Practice officially underway!! Won't be long now!

Who was # 4 with that nice lefty spin move 10 secs in ??
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

reef wrote: 6 months ago

Cam Estevez
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ramfan22 wrote: 6 months ago
reef wrote: 6 months ago

Cam Estevez
Wow that looked smooth !!
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I had to go back and look at the vid again
to watch Cam’s spin move because I was distracted by watching Rory on his layup. Rory looks like he has led in his butt trying to get off the floor. Ooph! I was hoping for some jumping improvement. Hope his lateral foot speed improved some, at least.

Man, I wish the guy could jump.

Cam looks smooooooth. Nice!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago I had to go back and look at the vid again
to watch Cam’s spin move because I was distracted by watching Rory on his layup. Rory looks like he has led in his butt trying to get off the floor. Ooph! I was hoping for some jumping improvement. Hope his lateral foot speed improved some, at least.

Man, I wish the guy could jump.

Cam looks smooooooth. Nice!
Someone told Rory not to jump in that shot, right? (hopefully?)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_0278.png

Pitino says they will build a $35 million stand alone practice facility

Interesting comment in number of days he will dedicate to NIL and how some schools may not be able to sustain this
2 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

3 x
Common sense is not common.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

4 x
Common sense is not common.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Looks really good!
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 5 months ago
Check out the FT %s in one of this follow up tweets. Pretty interested to see how those translate to games
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

My guess would be the overwhelming majority of teams shoot way better in practice than games.

If those translate over (which most of them won't) we would without question have the greatest FT shooting year in college basketball history.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Some great quotes here from the event today! Loving the sound of this second one!!

2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It would be nice if URI followed what many other teams have previously done with their practice facilities and post an in depth comprehensive video tour on Youtube. It would show fans a place they are likely to never see and could also become a future recruiting tool.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

McKee with some comments now as well. I gotta say, everyone is saying all the right things and it certainly sounds promising with the level of commitment right now. Should be a very interesting upcoming few years.

4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We have never had this level of support both in words and actions. Good coaches at helm of both hoops teams and football. Future looks bright !!
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

How long til 72 comes along and takes a shit in the cereal? T minus 3, 2, 1…
6 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thank you for posting the vid’s!

The facility looks great! Let’s gooooooooooo
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago We have never had this level of support both in words and actions. Good coaches at helm of both hoops teams and football. Future looks bright !!

That may be true but it unfortunately comes in a time when college athletics (primarily football and men's basketball) is more deliberately stacked than ever to favor just a select few high profile leagues and teams that does not include programs such as URI.
Last edited by RF1 5 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

agreed - great job !
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago We have never had this level of support both in words and actions. Good coaches at helm of both hoops teams and football. Future looks bright !!

That may be true but it unfortunately comes in a time when college athletics (primarily football and men's basketball) is more deliberately stacked than ever to favor just a few select high profile leagues and teams that does not include programs such as URI.
Truth be told, we were never really competing against the Dukes, UCLAs, Kansases and Kentuckys of the world anyways. We are still swimming in the same pool we always have and our goal should always be to maximize whatever our potential is at any given point in time and excel relative to our peers. It isn’t as if the entire college athletics world has moved up and left us behind, there are many other schools in a situation similar to ours and we should be thinking about how we can out-compete those schools. It seems silly to me to be focused on what is going on with the PAC 12 or the Big 12 or whatever when we are finishing 15th in our mid major league. Figure out a way to climb the ladder that’s in front of us and save woe is us stuff, IMHO.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 months ago Truth be told, we were never really competing against the Dukes, UCLAs, Kansases and Kentuckys of the world anyways. We are still swimming in the same pool we always have and our goal should always be to maximize whatever our potential is at any given point in time and excel relative to our peers. It isn’t as if the entire college athletics world has moved up and left us behind, there are many other schools in a situation similar to ours and we should be thinking about how we can out-compete those schools. It seems silly to me to be focused on what is going on with the PAC 12 or the Big 12 or whatever when we are finishing 15th in our mid major league. Figure out a way to climb the ladder that’s in front of us and save woe is us stuff, IMHO.

A team like URI however had a far better chance to make the NCAA Tournament in the past. The odds are today much tougher.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 months ago Truth be told, we were never really competing against the Dukes, UCLAs, Kansases and Kentuckys of the world anyways. We are still swimming in the same pool we always have and our goal should always be to maximize whatever our potential is at any given point in time and excel relative to our peers. It isn’t as if the entire college athletics world has moved up and left us behind, there are many other schools in a situation similar to ours and we should be thinking about how we can out-compete those schools. It seems silly to me to be focused on what is going on with the PAC 12 or the Big 12 or whatever when we are finishing 15th in our mid major league. Figure out a way to climb the ladder that’s in front of us and save woe is us stuff, IMHO.

A team like URI however had a far better chance to make the NCAA Tournament in the past. The odds are today much tougher.
There's always a path
0 x