Practice Facility

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Practice Facility

Unread post by ramster »

Some info on the Practice Facility
  • At the FGSU Pregame for Alumni and Fans, Thorr provided an update in response to some questions from attendees. He confirmed that the estimated cost is $8 million and $7.3 million has been committed. They are moving forward and will keep working on the additional $.7 needed.
  • Design firm has been chosen and is the same firm that designed the Ryan Center
  • Estimated by May of next year the project will be ready to put out for bid
  • Great meeting and participation
6 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: Practice Facility

Unread post by RIFan »

Thank you for the update!
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

That’s what I like to hear!
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Now we need a fund to hire our next coach.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My guess is, some big donors are getting their wallets warmed up.......
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago My guess is, some big donors are getting their wallets warmed up.......
How deep are your pockets, Rambone? :)
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I can't imagine a remodeled Tootell West costing $8M. I smell a bait and switch. We'll see something else enhanced with money that has been freed up that has nothing to do with MBB.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I can't imagine a remodeled Tootell West costing $8M. I smell a bait and switch. We'll see something else enhanced with money that has been freed up that has nothing to do with MBB.
Absolutely not. You are completely wrong.

And where have you been? The $8 million price tag has been announced out there for over a year. You seem very disconnected from what’s going on. Get with the program.
5 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I can't imagine a remodeled Tootell West costing $8M. I smell a bait and switch. We'll see something else enhanced with money that has been freed up that has nothing to do with MBB.

And where have you been? The $8 million price tag has been announced out there for over a year. You seem very disconnected from what’s going on. Get with the program.
$8 million is a very reasonable amount for all that this will entail. HVAC, Mechanical/Electrical, Plumbing, Building Management, Labor, building material costs, the design/build process itself. Skilled labor isn't cheap. Ten years ago (when I think his should have happened) it would probably have been 3/4 the price, maybe even 1/2...
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

$8 million is a very reasonable amount for all that this will entail. HVAC, Mechanical/Electrical, Plumbing, Building Management, Labor, building material costs, the design/build process itself. Skilled labor isn't cheap. Ten years ago (when I think his should have happened) it would probably have been 3/4 the price, maybe even 1/2...
He hasn’t even seen the plans. Doesn’t even know included. This is the poster who said the board was too negative. He makes Debbie Downer look like a supreme optimist. Why we can’t have nice things.
I thought he wanted David Cox to be successful, the URi sports program to be successful. Doesn’t even trust the long term, well respected in many circles, Athletic Director. Sad.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Now we need a fund to hire our next coach.
Does every thread need to be filled with anti David Cox stuff?

I went to the PC game, tried to read the game thread the next day and it was 20% about the game and 80% or more slamming the coach with the same comments that seem to be seeping into most all threads. And there is already a FIRE COX thread and a David Cox thread.

Next David Cox will be causing Global Warming, Inflation and he brought Omicron to RI.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

When was the $8M projection made?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago When was the $8M projection made?
I’d heard it over a year ago. The money has been raised. People don’t donate for things that they don’t believe in
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Construction costs are very high right now but will hopefully level out. 8 mill does seem high for renovations on a gym, even with HVAC, design, structural components ect. Think about how much you get for an 8 million dollar mansion?? Good news overall though.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….gotta make sure the all the bells and whistles are included to be able attract top level recruits for the coach to able to show recruits…….ya know things like tattoo parlor, hair and nail studio, nutrition counseling, academic tutorial center, video game room, individual work out rooms, team film studio, office space for agent meetings, career counseling……and other necessary items for today’s student athlete…..😉
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

He hasn’t even seen the plans. Doesn’t even know included. This is the poster who said the board was too negative. He makes Debbie Downer look like a supreme optimist. Why we can’t have nice things.
I thought he wanted David Cox to be successful, the URi sports program to be successful. Doesn’t even trust the long term, well respected in many circles, Athletic Director. Sad.
I don't think 72 is negative, he's just an idiot in general with little knowledge on the game of basketball.
3 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The cost of the facility was announced way back in March 9th which was 9 months ago…… so I’m surprised so many comments now surprised by and questioning the cost. Article to click on below from 3/9/2021.

The info I’m providing is about the update given at FGSU pregame event that included the design company being selected, project moving forward, bids to be going out in May and the excitement of the project for both MBB and WBB teams.

Go Rhody!!!

https://www.uri.edu/news/2021/03/uri-at ... -facility/
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, in other words, not much has changed in the past 4 years.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

I don't think 8mil is outrageous at all for what this space should be, for this campus and its programs.

build away. and then do something. new coach, new prakie place, no more excuses.
0 x
:lol:
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Construction costs are very high right now but will hopefully level out. 8 mill does seem high for renovations on a gym, even with HVAC, design, structural components ect. Think about how much you get for an 8 million dollar mansion?? Good news overall though.
Well, in a lot of ways though, it's "simpler" to build an $8M mansion on some vacant piece of land. You don't have to worry about the structural integrity of the rest of the site, you just build whatever you want. I have no clue when Tootell was originally built, but at least when I was a student from around 2002 to 2007, all of those side gyms were humid and stuffy. No clue if they've done any renovations between 2007ish and 2021, but depending on when they went in and how extensive the new structures are, the price tag quickly escalates in my mind.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……during my later years, class’72, Tootell was under construction……do not recall when finished…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……during my later years, class’72, Tootell was under construction……do not recall when finished…..
I started in '74. It was done then.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago So, in other words, not much has changed in the past 4 years.
Covid for two of those 4 years and counting. Kind of changed a few things.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……during my later years, class’72, Tootell was under construction……do not recall when finished…..
Had Tootell East which was 1 basketball court and Tootell West which was larger. Tootel East was converted to Team Weight Room which is very nice. The Swimming pools are also included in Tootell along with some separate exercise, cycling and dance rooms.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago So, in other words, not much has changed in the past 4 years.
Covid for two of those 4 years and counting. Kind of changed a few things.
Things changed as soon as Dan left. Things were moving along nicely, then came to a screeching halt.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Some of the recent projects current and last few years - and approximate costs in Millions:
$150 Engineering
$94 Brookside Apartments
$69 Chemical and Forensic Science
$12 Fine Arts Phase I
$9 Welcome Center
$8 Practice Facility for MBB and WBB
$5 Road improvements Fraternity Circle
$4 Repave, Sidewalks, Bike Lanes, Lights Upper College Road
$4 Lights and Turf Meade Field
$2.4 Bike Path connection to URI

Past Athletic Department Projects:
$54 Ryan Center - 2000
$12 Boss Arena - 2002
$8 Mackal Track & Field - 1991

GO RHODY! THINK BIG!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Some of the recent projects current and last few years - and approximate costs in Millions:
$150 Engineering
$94 Brookside Apartments
$12 Fine Arts Phase I
$9 Welcome Center

$54 Ryan Center - 2000
$12 Boss Arena - 2002

GO RHODY! THINK BIG!
What about the women's locker room? That just got a major upgrade.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Now we need a fund to hire our next coach.
Does every thread need to be filled with anti David Cox stuff?

I went to the PC game, tried to read the game thread the next day and it was 20% about the game and 80% or more slamming the coach with the same comments that seem to be seeping into most all threads. And there is already a FIRE COX thread and a David Cox thread.

Next David Cox will be causing Global Warming, Inflation and he brought Omicron to RI.
Deep down I knew all three of these were all his fault, glad to get confirmation
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Saw the Boss ice rink on the list, UConn just broke ground on their new rink. Only seats 2,600

https://www.theuconnblog.com/platform/a ... east-arena
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Construction costs are very high right now but will hopefully level out. 8 mill does seem high for renovations on a gym, even with HVAC, design, structural components ect. Think about how much you get for an 8 million dollar mansion?? Good news overall though.
I'm only saying this, not as comparison, but semi-comparison... the alleged new Narragansett library going into the old Pier Market is going to cost around $10 million, and that's an empty space with Danielle Steele novels.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Some info on the Practice Facility
March 2018 - Promised to Hurley as enticement to stay
May 2022 - Going out to bid
Sometime in either 2023 or 2024? - Opens for use

Five to six years for an $8M conversion of existing space. Things certainly do not move fast in Kingston.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Some info on the Practice Facility

April 2017 - Promised to Hurley as enticement to stay
May 2022 - Going out to bid
Sometime in either 2023 or 2024? - Opens for use

Six to seven years for an $8M conversion of existing space. Things certainly do not move fast in Kingston.
No, and if you left it up to many posters on KB based on this thread they don’t even like the $8 million cost. Sounds like they want to stop the project and bring in 70 minutes for an investigation. Maybe KB posters behind the scenes were the cause of the delay?

Thorr, our new President and the MBB, WBB coaches are all excited about this and have approved but KB says it’s too much money.

Most schools are doing $20 to $60 million practice facilities. We are stopping the presses because $8 is too high.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Ramster, a year ago on this board, when I saw a rendition of what the practice facility would look like, I wrote on this Board the sane thing and others agreed. That is where I have been!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Some of the recent projects current and last few years - and approximate costs in Millions:
$150 Engineering
$94 Brookside Apartments
$12 Fine Arts Phase I
$9 Welcome Center

$54 Ryan Center - 2000
$12 Boss Arena - 2002

GO RHODY! THINK BIG!
What about the women's locker room? That just got a major upgrade.
There were many items I left off but only included projects over $2 million

The point of my list is to give an idea about the amount of money spent on many projects recently at URI that gave all turned out to be very nice and well managed. I have no doubt and trust completely that the Practice Facility will follow the same successful pattern as all these other recent endeavors.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This is a gym in an existing building being renovated. The space is the size of two practice basketball courts, very little demolition required. My guess is that it represents less about 10% the space in this building (Tootell). This project must include infrastructure that supports the entire building that has nothing to do with MBB.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And if so, that could be good for MBB and WBB

Trust and positivity. Why not sit back and wait to see the design and final plans before judging it or being suspicious?

GO RHODY!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago And if so, that could be good for MBB and WBB

Trust and positivity. Why not sit back and wait to see the design and final plans before judging it or being suspicious?

GO RHODY!
Message boards are for being susp and jumping to non-informed conclusions....not for "waiting and seeing"?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

GO RHODY!
Message boards are for being susp and jumping to non-informed conclusions....not for "waiting and seeing"?
…….exactly, otherwise what fun on here would there be with waiting and seeing…….?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago

GO RHODY!
…….exactly, otherwise what fun on here would there be with waiting and seeing…….?
Yep, just be negative and criticize what you don’t know. And on top of that say you criticized and questioned it a year ago too! Great.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..being consistent……..thanks
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago This is a gym in an existing building being renovated. The space is the size of two practice basketball courts, very little demolition required. My guess is that it represents less about 10% the space in this building (Tootell). This project must include infrastructure that supports the entire building that has nothing to do with MBB.
and/or it includes a tremendous amount of bells and whistles to make an existing space look as good as practice facilities built recently for other programs that cost tens of millions of dollars
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Yep, just be negative and criticize what you don’t know. And on top of that say you criticized and questioned it a year ago too! Great.
you must be a lot of fun at parties.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We all just want what anyone wants, the bang for the buck.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago

you must be a lot of fun at parties.
Troll on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

definitely not a troll, home boy.

paying customer and fan with a long line of Rhody ties, just like the rest of you.

why is it whenever someone says something online and someone else doesn't like, it makes one a troll?? oh I know, just because I decide to join a month ago after lurker for a while?? grow a set, guy.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago definitely not a troll, home boy.

paying customer and fan with a long line of Rhody ties, just like the rest of you.

why is it whenever someone says something online and someone else doesn't like, it makes one a troll?? oh I know, just because I decide to join a month ago after lurker for a while?? grow a set, guy.
Since you came here 5 weeks ago you just seem to want to stir trouble.

How many times have you posted here under different names? Is this your first time ever?
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

first time, long time bud. Thanks for taking my call. have your mods/admin look up my IP. I promise you I haven't been posting here before.

stir trouble? you just don't like what I have to say. tough shit, that's not causing trouble.

god forbid some new blood come on here and keep some of you guys honest.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You are right.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago Well here is the Thorr Bjorn Podcast

Topics Covered

How asst. AD initiated the hiring of Tammy Reiss
Worked in ticket department of UMass during Calipari era including a number one ranking and final four appearance
Trying to contain the crowd of 400k fans who couldn’t get tickets to the Temple game.
Returning to Umass after taking a corporate job after nine years
Non glamorous side of starting out in the Umass athletic department
How he became the interim AD at Umass
Great time to be an AD
The back story how URI got the New England Patriots plane to fly to Towson game
What we should expect from new president Marc Palange
Methodology and process for raising money
What is the status of the practice facility
and charter flight. When construction starts and projected opening
Impact of 125k for WBB
Cost of chartering 42k
How he turned around the football program
Thoughts on retiring #s with Kenny Green video on his take on the matter
Talks about relationship with coach Hurley
Whose responsible when Coach is fired
How close URI football was to switching conferences
Asked him about PC cancelling in state game last season

Thanks to Scott Brand for this Interview with Thorr. Thorr provides an update to the Practice Facility from minute 27:30 to 30:00. I'd encourage watching the entire 60 minutes but specifically the Practice Facility.
  • Populous design group hired. Same group that did the Ryan Center
  • Bid in 2 months (from when this interview took place)
  • Start Construction by May/June 2022
  • Up and running late Spring 2023
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populous_(company)
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

8 x
Common sense is not common.