URI to add women's lacrosse

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

URI to add women's lacrosse

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Officially announced today with their first season in the spring of 2025

https://gorhody.com/news/2021/12/2/wome ... -1-21.aspx
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: URI to add women's lacrosse

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Officially announced today with their first season in the spring of 2025

https://gorhody.com/news/2021/12/2/wome ... -1-21.aspx
Love it!!!!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Honestly I'm not really sure why lacrosse was added over field hockey and gymnastics which used to be varsity sports here or gymnastics and ice hockey which are more popular sports.

I'd have to imagine they'll play their games at Meade now that it has field turf. Good luck to our newest program!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe because 10 A10 schools already have it?

Plus it’s a growing sport nationally

And maybe the new president influenced the move?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Honestly I'm not really sure why lacrosse was added over field hockey and gymnastics which used to be varsity sports here or gymnastics and ice hockey which are more popular sports.

I'd have to imagine they'll play their games at Meade now that it has field turf. Good luck to our newest program!
As Ramster said, the sport has more momentum nationally than field hockey and especially gymnastics at this point. Girls' lacrosse was pretty popular at the high school level in Rhode Island, although I don't really know enough about the talent level in the sport to say whether they'd be able to recruit locally.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

good move
0 x
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Honestly I'm not really sure why lacrosse was added over field hockey and gymnastics which used to be varsity sports here or gymnastics and ice hockey which are more popular sports.

As Ramster said, the sport has more momentum nationally than field hockey and especially gymnastics at this point. Girls' lacrosse was pretty popular at the high school level in Rhode Island, although I don't really know enough about the talent level in the sport to say whether they'd be able to recruit locally.
More momentum than gymnastics, which is one of the most popular sports going? Just look at how crazy people go during the Olympics or when they have nationals, way bigger than anything lacrosse related
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

More momentum than gymnastics, which is one of the most popular sports going? Just look at how crazy people go during the Olympics or when they have nationals, way bigger than anything lacrosse related
Lacrosse >> gymnastics

I prefer sports where the score is objective public knowledge.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Yeah, but how many girls are competing in it? From RIHSS, I count 16 teams, and 36 for girls' lacrosse. I think more girls play lacrosse than gymnastics at this point, and it's probably going to get worse in the future, given the ripple effect that the scandals will have on gymnastics. Gymnastics might be a Very Big Deal every four years, but I think there's more support overall for lacrosse.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Yeah, but how many girls are competing in it? From RIHSS, I count 16 teams, and 36 for girls' lacrosse. I think more girls play lacrosse than gymnastics at this point, and it's probably going to get worse in the future, given the ripple effect that the scandals will have on gymnastics. Gymnastics might be a Very Big Deal every four years, but I think there's more support overall for lacrosse.
100% correct. No one cares about gymnastics outside of the Olympics and they won’t care in the Olympics if the US doesn’t field a competitive team.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Two interesting facts about gymnastics - one, at the college level many gymnasts are beyond their prime. Two, insurance costs associated with program are more significant than other programs.
1 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

"The decision to add women's lacrosse came after an internal feasibility study showed favorable economic impact along with Title IX Compliance stability for the University."
cost was also a factor
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago

100% correct. No one cares about gymnastics outside of the Olympics and they won’t care in the Olympics if the US doesn’t field a competitive team.
And how many people care about lacrosse? I enjoy it and flip on it when I'm free during the championships, but to act like lacrosse is bigger than gymnastics is crazy talk
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Two interesting facts about gymnastics - one, at the college level many gymnasts are beyond their prime. Two, insurance costs associated with program are more significant than other programs.
If the reasons for no gymnastics are the insurance costs are too high and the A10 doesn't sponsor it I don't hate lacrosse over gymnastics, I was just remarking how it's weird for lacrosse over two legacy sports we had

Anyway I've probably taken this further afield than it needs to go
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So what are we getting into with women's lacrosse?

In the Atlantic 10 all but Dayton, Fordham, St. Louis, and Loyola Chicago have it. In RI, Bryant and Brown have it, but PC doesn't.

It seems like the season starts in mid-February (those will be fun games on the bottom of campus! Have to figure with the season starting early there is no choice but to play games at Meade) with the conference championships taking place the end of April/early May.

Brown shares Stevenson-Pincince Field with the soccer teams. It has artificial turf with capacity for 3500 spectators. They have nobody from RI on their roster.

Bryant seems to split their games between the Conaty Indoor Athletic Center, the infield of their track which has artificial turf, and Beirne Stadium which they share with football. Beirne Stadium has artificial turf and a seating capacity of 4400. They have one RI player on their roster.

Davidson shares Richardson Field with football and is in the infield of their track and field complex. It has artificial turf and a capacity of 4741. They have nobody from RI on their roster.

Duquesne shares Rooney Field with football and soccer. It has a seating capacity of 2200 with a total capacity of 4500 and artificial turf. They have nobody from RI on their roster.

George Mason shares George Mason Stadium with the soccer teams and is in the infield of their track and field complex. It has a seating capacity of 5000 and appears to have a grass surface. They have nobody from RI on their roster.

George Washington shares the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex field with soccer. It has artificial turf and the only capacity information I could find is the record for attendance is 811 people. They have nobody from RI on their roster.

La Salle shares McCarthy Stadium with soccer. It has artificial turf and a seating capacity of 7500. They have nobody from RI on their roster.

Massachusetts shares Garber Field with the men's lacrosse team. It has artificial turf and a capacity of 5000. They have nobody from RI on their roster.

Richmond shares Robins Stadium with men's lacrosse, football, soccer, and track and field. It has a capacity of 8700 and artificial turf. They have nobody from RI on their roster.

St. Bonaventure share the Marra Athletics Field Complex with men's lacrosse and socccer. It has artificial turf and they've had more than 1200 at one of their soccer games. They have nobody from RI on their roster.

St. Joe's shares Sean Sweeney Field with men's lacrosse and soccer. It has artificial turf and seating for 3000. They have nobody from RI on their roster.

VCU shares the Cary Street Field with field hockey. It has artificial turf and seating for 1200. Unless someone from their incoming freshman class is from RI, they have nobody from RI on their roster
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

After going through the rosters of the A10 and other RI schools, there is one player from RI, so there is no real talent pool to speak of in RI for this sport. There are a ton from MA, CT, NY, and NJ but we'll have to convince them to go out of state to a school with no history over schools that are already established. It could be a long climb to putting together a competitive roster
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

After going through the rosters of the A10 and other RI schools, there is one player from RI, so there is no real talent pool to speak of in RI for this sport. There are a ton from MA, CT, NY, and NJ but we'll have to convince them to go out of state to a school with no history over schools that are already established. It could be a long climb to putting together a competitive roster
I used 2019, because 2020 was cancelled and 2021, college rosters for women's lacrosse probably aren't up to date yet. But for that year, here is the list of all-state players and where they ended up:

Player of the Year — Kari Buonanno, Midfield, Moses Brown (PRINCETON)
Player of the Year Nominee — Isabella Cecchi, Attack, Middletown (ROLLINS)
Player of the Year Nominee — Charlotte Boss, Attack, Rocky Hill (still an undergrad I think; seems to be a top tier recruit)
Attack — Meghan Keenan, Wheeler (WILLIAMS)
Attack — Hannah Guerin, Cumberland (FRAMINGHAM ST.)
Attack — Natasha Gorriaran, Moses Brown (UPENN)
Attack/Midfield — Anna Lubic, Narragansett (ASSUMPTION)
Attack/Midfield — Elizabeth Lewis, Barrington (none)
Midfield — Meredith Langmuir, Moses Brown (HARVARD)
Midfield — Emma Keene-Reinhard, Wheeler (STONEHILL)
Midfield — Tess Gagliano, Barrington (DUKE)
Midfield/Defense — Evie Williams, Moses Brown (OHIO WESLEYAN)
Defense — Liza Ramsden, Moses Brown (none)
Defense — Piper Broomhead, Barrington (none)
Goalie — Caileigh Durkin, Barrington (MAINE)

It looks like 12 of the 15 top players in the state went on to some form of college lacrosse. That's a pretty decent "hit" rate.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Are four D1 players and one top tier recruit really good? That's a pretty terrible hit rate, especially when it seems like all of the D1 players went to schools out of our league
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Two interesting facts about gymnastics - one, at the college level many gymnasts are beyond their prime. Two, insurance costs associated with program are more significant than other programs.
If the reasons for no gymnastics are the insurance costs are too high and the A10 doesn't sponsor it I don't hate lacrosse over gymnastics, I was just remarking how it's weird for lacrosse over two legacy sports we had

Gymnastics has some PR issues going on right now with the aftermath of USA Gymnastics and the Dr. Larry Nassar trial. There might be a number of parents not so willing to let their little girls get sucked into the gymnastics culture considering the damage that was done to many athletes at USA Gymnastics and Michigan State. I can tell you that if I had 2 girls, they wouldn't get near the sport. Lacrosse, I'd have no issues with.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Gymnastics has some PR issues going on right now with the aftermath of USA Gymnastics and the Dr. Larry Nassar trial. There might be a number of parents not so willing to let their little girls get sucked into the gymnastics culture considering the damage that was done to many athletes at USA Gymnastics and Michigan State. I can tell you that if I had 2 girls, they wouldn't get near the sport. Lacrosse, I'd have no issues with.
forget about the MSU/nassar, culture thing.

Do you have any idea how much youth gymnastics costs?? it'll make your head spin.

people talk lax and hockey being richie rich sports and AAU this and that. nah mang, go take a look at the youth world of gymnastics. talk about $$ grab and pipe dreams.
1 x
:lol:
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

This was a move Thor wanted to make back in 07…in the fall they announced they were cutting gymnastics and adding women’s lacrosse….few months later the markets continued to collapse and the wonderful state significantly cut their funding to URI which forced the athletic dept to abandon plans to add women’s lacrosse and cut men’s tennis, men’s swimming, field hockey, and gymnastics…..

I was a freshmen on the tennis team and that still stings
0 x
Clapton is God