12/1 | Harvard | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

12/1 | Harvard | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Harvard University
Lavieres Pavilion, Camdbridge, MA
Wednesday, December 1, 2021
7:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN+
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Harvard Fan Forum

After a lopsided win against an undermanned Georgia State team at home, the Rams head north to Cambridge to take on the Harvard Crimson at the Lavieries Pavilion. Harvard, which is routinely at the top of the Ivy League each year, is led by their all-time winningest coach Tommy Amaker who is in his 15th season at Harvard. On the court there are three main players that Rhody fans should keep an eye on. Forward Chris Ledlum & guards Noah Kirkwood & Luka Sakota all average over 30 minutes per contest & are the teams only double-digit scorers with Ledlum & Kirkwood bot averaging 17+ per game. Like URI, as a team they are shooting over 40% from behind the arc. The only difference is Harvard is averaging almost 10 more attempts per game (26 to 16). Look for this trend of shooting threes to continue as they are heavily outmatched downlow. Harvard only plays two forwards in Ledlum & Kale Catchings (both 6’6”) but they have tallish guards in Kirkwood & Sakota who are 6’7” & 6’6” respectively. Harvard comes into the season with just 2 losses. Both losses were on the road (Iona & Sienna) and were each by 3 points. Right before Thanksgiving they did have an overtime win against Colgate with an impressive buzzer beater just inside half court to send it to OT. Rhody got exactly what they needed in their last game from their guards. Ish Leggett broke out of his slump in a big way by scoring a career high 20 including 5 for 7 from deep. Rhody has not lost to Harvard since Herbert Hoover was president in 1931 (sure they have only played 3 times since 1937). Go up to Cambridge, take care of business against The Crimson & then concentrate on this coming weekend’s game against whomever that may be. URI will be favored by around 4 points in this match-up. If Rhody can put a hand in the face of their three-point shooters, URI should take the win. Final score URI 71 – Harvard 66. Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
5-2, 0-0 in the Ivy
Last season: 21-8, 10-4 in the Ivy*
*Denotes 2019-20 Season as the Ivy League did not participate last season due to Covid

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: N/A (112)*
RPI: 181 (35)
KenPom: 166 (80)
BPI: 266 (83)
Sagarin: 110 (89)
* Denotes last season

Leaders:
Points – Chris Ledlum 17.4 (Jr., F)
Rebounds – Chris Ledlum 9.1 (Jr., F)
Assists – Luka Sakota 2.9 (Jr., G) (1.9 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 7-4
H: 3-1, A: 2-3, N: 2-0
Most Recent Matchup: 11/16/18 76-74 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 5 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 70.9 Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/1 | Harvard | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by section(105) »

……..Team Rankings now says, after thrashing GS, their #68 URI has 61% chance to beat their #150 Harvard…….Dancing chances now at 24%, up 13% after beating GS…….also they rank URI #3 in A-10…..interesting……..go Rhody…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They are just trying to tease us.

Not falling for it lol.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Yet another game on our schedule that we will be the favorite… This Harvard team is very beatable, but you can’t take anyone lightly on the road. I’d love to go into the PC game with some momentum.

Anyone going? I’m thinking about it
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I will be there.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I'll be there as well. Seems like there should be a good Rhody contingent based on what I've seen on Twitter, too. Plenty of tix still available!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago
University of Rhode Island vs Harvard University
Lavieres Pavilion, Camdbridge, MA
Wednesday, December 1, 2021
7:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN+
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Harvard Fan Forum

After a lopsided win against an undermanned Georgia State team at home, the Rams head north to Cambridge to take on the Harvard Crimson at the Lavieries Pavilion. Harvard, which is routinely at the top of the Ivy League each year, is led by their all-time winningest coach Tommy Amaker who is in his 15th season at Harvard. On the court there are three main players that Rhody fans should keep an eye on. Forward Chris Ledlum & guards Noah Kirkwood & Luka Sakota all average over 30 minutes per contest & are the teams only double-digit scorers with Ledlum & Kirkwood bot averaging 17+ per game. Like URI, as a team they are shooting over 40% from behind the arc. The only difference is Harvard is averaging almost 10 more attempts per game (26 to 16). Look for this trend of shooting threes to continue as they are heavily outmatched downlow. Harvard only plays two forwards in Ledlum & Kale Catchings (both 6’6”) but they have tallish guards in Kirkwood & Sakota who are 6’7” & 6’6” respectively. Harvard comes into the season with just 2 losses. Both losses were on the road (Iona & Sienna) and were each by 3 points. Right before Thanksgiving they did have an overtime win against Colgate with an impressive buzzer beater just inside half court to send it to OT. Rhody got exactly what they needed in their last game from their guards. Ish Leggett broke out of his slump in a big way by scoring a career high 20 including 5 for 7 from deep. Rhody has not lost to Harvard since Herbert Hoover was president in 1931 (sure they have only played 3 times since 1937). Go up to Cambridge, take care of business against The Crimson & then concentrate on this coming weekend’s game against whomever that may be. URI will be favored by around 4 points in this match-up. If Rhody can put a hand in the face of their three-point shooters, URI should take the win. Final score URI 71 – Harvard 66. Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
5-2, 0-0 in the Ivy
Last season: 21-8, 10-4 in the Ivy*
*Denotes 2019-20 Season as the Ivy League did not participate last season due to Covid

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: N/A (112)*
RPI: 181 (35)
KenPom: 166 (80)
BPI: 266 (83)
Sagarin: 110 (89)
* Denotes last season

Leaders:
Points – Chris Ledlum 17.4 (Jr., F)
Rebounds – Chris Ledlum 9.1 (Jr., F)
Assists – Luka Sakota 2.9 (Jr., G) (1.9 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 7-4
H: 3-1, A: 2-3, N: 2-0
Most Recent Matchup: 11/16/18 76-74 W at Harvard
Most Recent Win Streak: 5 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 70.9 Chance of URI Winning
With their length in the backcourt and wings, plus ability to stretch the defense, I hope Martin gets plenty of minutes, maybe even start.
Also need to see a lot of Walker, he has the best FG% (.72) on the team and has a faster gear than the twins.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

What section are you sitting in? I’ll get tickets now
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Section 1 is the section behind the URI bench, I'm told. That's where I'm at.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

stuff the dorks in their lockers!
2 x
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..Team Rankings now says, after thrashing GS, their #68 URI has 61% chance to beat their #150 Harvard…….Dancing chances now at 24%, up 13% after beating GS…….also they rank URI #3 in A-10…..interesting……..go Rhody…….
The ranking systems like Team Rankings and KenPom love the Georgia State win because they don't take into account that Georgia State was missing most everyone that mattered. That win is fools gold in the analytics
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Yet another game on our schedule that we will be the favorite… This Harvard team is very beatable, but you can’t take anyone lightly on the road. I’d love to go into the PC game with some momentum.

Anyone going? I’m thinking about it
I had thought about it, but after the Florida trip I decided against traveling up to Boston on a weeknight. It's the recliner and ESPN+ for me
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Section 1 is the section behind the URI bench, I'm told. That's where I'm at.
When looking at the URI site for away games, they list section 1 for our seats. Masks are mandatory regardless of vaccination status there

https://gorhody.com/sports/2020/6/9/tic ... -away.aspx
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KenPom today:

34-St Bonaventure (5-1)
73-Richmond (3-4)
80-URI (5-2)
81-Davidson (4-2)
91-Saint Louis (6-1)
94-VCU (3-4)
107-Dayton (4-3)
117-UMASS (5-3)
142-George Mason (4-4)
193-Duquesne (3-4)
218-St Joseph's (3-3)
231-Fordham (5-3)
235-LaSalle (2-3)
251-George Washington (2-6)

30-Loyola of Chicago (5-2)
166-Harvard (5-2)
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Don’t know anything about their other players but Chris Ledlum is very good. Had many mid and high major offers. Watched him play a few times including at a tourney where his team was playing Ant Walker (our target who went to Miami). Ledlum does everything well and prob only Malik will be able to cover him. Too quick for our bigs and too big for our guards.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Section 1 is the section behind the URI bench, I'm told. That's where I'm at.
When looking at the URI site for away games, they list section 1 for our seats. Masks are mandatory regardless of vaccination status there

https://gorhody.com/sports/2020/6/9/tic ... -away.aspx
Thanks for that link, I didn't know they detailed this stuff for URI fans. Very cool and glad I guessed right. Saves me guesswork for the next time.

And yes, vaxx/negative test and mask required, similar to the Ryan Center. Here's what I received upon buying my tix:

Please Read - Indoor Spectator Policy:
All spectators ages 12 years and older attending indoor campus athletic events will be required to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test administered within the previous 72 hours.

Children under the age of 12 do not need to provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test, but must adhere to all other visitor policies, including wearing a mask while indoors.

For all indoor contests, all fans are required to wear a mask at all time, regardless of vaccination status, unless actively eating or drinking.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..Team Rankings now says, after thrashing GS, their #68 URI has 61% chance to beat their #150 Harvard…….Dancing chances now at 24%, up 13% after beating GS…….also they rank URI #3 in A-10…..interesting……..go Rhody…….
The ranking systems like Team Rankings and KenPom love the Georgia State win because they don't take into account that Georgia State was missing most everyone that mattered. That win is fools gold in the analytics
True.
But oddsmakers knew that Georgia State was very short handed and the point spread went up to 6.5 with betters on both sides betting that number.

I didn't see any posters here or anywhere calling the game "juicy" beforehand. 6.5 point spread turned out to be a 41-35 halftime lead that blew up into a 35 point 94-59 point win that nobody say coming................. until after it was over or course. Looking back I should have bet the house, the boat and the wife :lol: :lol:
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
True.
But oddsmakers knew that Georgia State was very short handed and the point spread went up to 6.5 with betters on both sides betting that number.

I didn't see any posters here or anywhere calling the game "juicy" beforehand. 6.5 point spread turned out to be a 41-35 halftime lead that blew up into a 35 point 94-59 point win that nobody say coming................. until after it was over or course. Looking back I should have bet the house, the boat and the wife :lol: :lol:
I don't gamble much (at least anymore), but yeah that was about as sure a bet as anything.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I plan on going!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We need Carey back.

Thomas has shown he's clearly not ready for substantial minutes.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

True.

My cousin and I were talking about the matchup at the bar. We both agreed that there was no way that we shouldn't cover, but we also couldn't trust a David Cox coached team
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

True.

My cousin and I were talking about the matchup at the bar. We both agreed that there was no way that we shouldn't cover, but we also couldn't trust a David Cox coached team
Yeah, Cox vs. Amaker doesn't instill a lot of confidence.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/1 | Harvard | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by ramster »

Lavietes Pavilion Holds 1,636

I’m hearing ticket sales indicate it will be about half full at this point. About 800-1000 expected.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Going to predict a loss here 71-67 Crimson !!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago Going to predict a loss here 71-67 Crimson !!
No Reef, Say It Ain't So. :D
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

At a minimum, we have to split the games this week or things are going to get even more depressing. This is the one we should win
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago At a minimum, we have to split the games this week or things are going to get even more depressing. This is the one we should win
A loss here would be extremely depressing, I am still upset about the Florida trip.
1 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago At a minimum, we have to split the games this week or things are going to get even more depressing. This is the one we should win
A loss here would be extremely depressing, I am still upset about the Florida trip.
Harvard took Iona to OT, beat the snot out of Northeastern along with beating Colgate in OT. Harvard should be favored in this game because they’re the better team. I doubt Rhody wins either of the two games this week, hope I am very wrong #Go Rhody
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago We need Carey back.

Debbie Downer is at it again...now Bassy is in his sights.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago

Of all the things being posted on this board, he is far from a Debbie downer. This is mild…
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Joe95 wrote: 2 years ago
Harvard took Iona to OT, beat the snot out of Northeastern along with beating Colgate in OT. Harvard should be favored in this game because they’re the better team. I doubt Rhody wins either of the two games this week, hope I am very wrong #Go Rhody
I can't say they are the better team.
I don't like the matchup in the backcourt, they have a lot of length there.
We do have trouble with teams that are very disciplined and shoot well. They go about 9 deep.
We should be able to control the paint and have a significant size advantage there.

This is one of those games that does worry me.
If we play smart, under control, and good defense we should win.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Uhhhh, no…???

Cox didn’t even think he was ready for substantial minutes, but he did well in preseason.

Early results so far seen to reinforce Cox’s initial feeling. Thomas was even supposed to spend a post grad year this season but enrolled early.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Uhhhh, no…???

Cox didn’t even think he was ready for substantial minutes, but he did well in preseason.

Early results so far seen to reinforce Cox’s initial feeling. Thomas was even supposed to spend a post grad year this season but enrolled early.
Also, Tres had been out with an ankle injury (just returning) and Carey's play had been erratic.
Not to diminish anything from Bassy because overall he is ahead of schedule.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Uhhhh, no…???

Also, Tres had been out with an ankle injury (just returning) and Carey's play had been erratic.
Not to diminish anything from Bassy because overall he is ahead of schedule.
Cox has gone to Thomas at some critical times in Daytona and in Ft Myers - especially when he needed defense and even late in the game. I am not seeing any backing away from inserting Thomas at this point. Not saying Cox doesn't back off later but at this point Martin is the first guard off the bench and Thomas is the 2nd.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We do have trouble with teams that are very disciplined and shoot well. They go about 9 deep.
We should be able to control the paint and have a significant size advantage there.

This is one of those games that I think we show we are capable of winning the Atlantic 10 Tournament.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I will say I think URI has the better talent and I do expect them to win , though it is a true road game , and they did lose their only true road game .
I'm looking for another improved shooting performance and size advantage to carry them . N too much double teaming and not allowing uncontested threes should be the way to go.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Certainly a game where the twins can handle the lane. Not only should we not double team, we should not even help off the shooters.
Run guys off the line and know you you have shot blockers behind you.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This is one of those games that I think we show we are capable of winning the Atlantic 10 Tournament.
I hope you are right Ramster, because I agree winning the A10T is our only hope of going to the NCAAT, although a major longshot.

We should win because we are the better team.
We have more talent, a significant size advantage in the paint, a bigger contribution from our bench.
I still like our balanced roster that gives us several options.

This game could be a defining moment for Cox.
Are we capable of beating a less talented but a very disciplined and well coached team on the road?
Losing to an inferior FGCU team away gives me reason for concern, along with letting the Tulsa game get away.

As I said, I hope we see plenty of Martin for his defense alone to help offset their size at guard/wing and help shutdown Ledlum and Kirkwood.
Walker also should play a minimum of 25 mins.

Harvard is a good team picked anywhere from 2-4 in the Ivy.
These are the games we need to win.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Can a team rated at 166 by kenpom really be called a 'good team'? This should be a slam dunk easy game. Their rating (166) is closer to Fordham's (234) than it is to ours (79)...
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Harvard is 166 in the KenPom, that would put them in 10th place in the A10 between George Mason and Duquesne. It's going to take a lot more than this to show we are capable of winning the A10 tournament
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Can a team rated at 166 by kenpom really be called a 'good team'? This should be a slam dunk easy game. Their rating (166) is closer to Fordham's (234) than it is to ours (79)...
I can, regardless of their Kenpom rating.
Do you consider Iona a good team? They lost to them in OT at Iona's home court and led at the half.
So yeah I think they are a good Mid-Major team, especially playing them there.
I also think Amaker is a much better than average coach, have great respect for him.

After our Florida trip, it's difficult to consider any game a slam dunk or easy.
Unless of course a team shows up with half their roster and without their top players.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Per KenPom, Harvard has as good of a chance to beat Rhody as Rhody has of beating Providence. Do whatever you will with that information.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Iona (122), despite the Rick-hype is kinda meh/overrated and unique all at once. The Rick is what makes them relevant...and deservedly so (and I'll be keeping an eye on them all year unless they implode)... but would not say losing to 122 Iona in OT makes a team "good"...could just be me though.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

This will be a rock fight. A lot of man-to-man from Harvard so it will be tough for our chuck and pray philosophy that we've adopted.

We'll have to utilize the Mitchells up front a lot to get Harvard to go to a match-up zone. Then hopefully it's a hot shooting night from there.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Iona (122), despite the Rick-hype is kinda meh/overrated and unique all at once. The Rick is what makes them relevant...and deservedly so (and I'll be keeping an eye on them all year unless they implode)... but would not say losing to 122 Iona in OT makes a team "good"...could just be me though.
I wonder what then highly ranked Alabama thinks of Iona now, an easy slam dunk game?

Look getting back to Harvard, never underestimate an Amaker coached team, especially there.
He has taken Harvard to 4 NCAAT (with some success) probably would of been more if not for last season being cancelled and no postseason in 2020.
Plus taking Seton Hall to the sweet 16.

I don't expect an easy game, far from it. I just hope we get out of there with a win.
Believe me I would like nothing more than to see us totally dominate, but doubtful that will happen.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Iona (122), despite the Rick-hype is kinda meh/overrated and unique all at once. The Rick is what makes them relevant...and deservedly so (and I'll be keeping an eye on them all year unless they implode)... but would not say losing to 122 Iona in OT makes a team "good"...could just be me though.
Iona has been relevant for years, way before Pitino. They made multiple NCAA tourney's under Cluess.
1 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

re: KenPom ratings, again, we're so early in the season that the sample size isn't really that telling. There is still a lot of volatility in them, as evidenced by URI gaining a bunch of spots by beating the crap out of Georgia State and two wins against BC.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago re: KenPom ratings, again, we're so early in the season that the sample size isn't really that telling. There is still a lot of volatility in them, as evidenced by URI gaining a bunch of spots by beating the crap out of Georgia State and two wins against BC.
Yep...but it still seems as good of a current guess for relativity as anything else.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

That's every game.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago re: KenPom ratings, again, we're so early in the season that the sample size isn't really that telling. There is still a lot of volatility in them, as evidenced by URI gaining a bunch of spots by beating the crap out of Georgia State and two wins against BC.
Yep...but it still seems as good of a current guess for relativity as anything else.
Yep. No different than any other year. At least it’s not that dreaded RPI. And the NET doesn’t come out until later and later each year it seems.
0 x