11/20 | Tulsa | 7:30PM (FloHoops) | Sunshine Slam

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

11/20 | Tulsa | 7:30PM (FloHoops) | Sunshine Slam

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of Tulsa
Ocean Center, Daytona Beach, FL
Saturday, November 20, 2021
7:30PM

Media
TV: N/A?
Online: FloHoops
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Tulsa Fan Forum

The University of Rhode Island leaves the comfy confines of the Ryan Center (3-0 at home) for a quick 3 game stretch down in sunny Florida. Rhody starts off facing Tulsa in the Sunshine Slam this coming Saturday evening in Daytona Beach, Florida. Tulsa, out of the American Athletic Conference, are led by 8th year head coach Frank Haith. Tulsa returns only 1 starter from the team that beat #5 Houston last year. On the court, the Golden Hurricanes are led by senior forward Jeriah Horne & sophomore guard Sam Griffin. Both are averaging 20 & 17 respectively while each playing 32+ minutes per contest. This is Horne’s second stint with Tulsa as he started in Nebraska, played in Tulsa for 2 years, went to Colorado last season & is now back in Tulsa for his 5th collegiate year. I am not sure what to make of this Golden Hurricane team. Tulsa had a nice win at home against Oregon State where they were slight home underdogs but they also had a terrible loss at home against Air Force where they were big favorites. They were preseason picked to finish 7th in their conference (out of 11 teams) but please keep in mind that they have finished higher than their preseason place in seven of eight seasons in The American. Little known fact, up until about a year or two ago, The American Conference headquarters were (for some reason??) located in Providence before moving to Irving, TX. This will be Rhody’s toughest match of this early season as they will probably come in as 1- or 2-point underdogs. Once again turnovers will be the name of the game as URI averages almost 17 per contest while conversely Tulsa averages only 11.7. I know they like his energy off the bench, but I wonder if Walker will get the start in this one to go up against Jeriah Horne as his speed will be better suited than one of the Mitchell’s covering him? But then again, Makhel is second in the league in blocked shots with 5 a game, so WTF do I know? The way I see it, Tulsa doesn’t do anything great (besides maybe protecting the ball), but they also don’t anything poorly. Like URI, they are a middle of the road team. Which ever team can get up for a sparsely attended neutral site game will probably be the victor. This game could come down to free throw shooting, much like the last time they played in November of 2000. Tulsa made 12 of 14 free throws in the final 3:50 of the last game. URI only shot 56.3% from the line that game. I foresee a reversal of fortune as I think Rhody’s guards will come through in the clutch leading the Rams to a comeback victory, 74-70. Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
2-1, 0-0 in the American
Last season: 11-12, 7-9 in the American

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 127 (112)*
RPI: 266 (85)
KenPom: 146 (90)
BPI: 69 (107)
Sagarin: 122 (95)
* Denotes last season

Leaders:
Points – Jeriah Horne 20.0 (Sr., F)
Rebounds – Jeriah Horne 8.0 (Sr., F)
Assists – Keyshawn Embery-Simpson 2.3 (Jr., G) (0.7 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 0-2
H: 0-1, A: 0-1, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 11/22/2000 89-80 L at Tulsa
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 – Tulsa
Match-up Predictor: 41.6 Chance of URI Winning
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/20 | Tulsa | 7:30PM (FloHoops) | Sunshine Slam

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Let's come back from Florida 6-0!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Let's come back from Florida 6-0!
Could happen and then watch the attendance numbers grow!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago
University of Rhode Island vs University of Tulsa
Ocean Center, Daytona Beach, FL
Saturday, November 20, 2021
7:30PM

Media
TV: N/A?
Online: FloHoops
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Tulsa Fan Forum

The University of Rhode Island leaves the comfy confines of the Ryan Center (3-0 at home) for a quick 3 game stretch down in sunny Florida. Rhody starts off facing Tulsa in the Sunshine Slam this coming Saturday evening in Daytona Beach, Florida. Tulsa, out of the American Athletic Conference, are led by 8th year head coach Frank Haith. Tulsa returns only 1 starter from the team that beat #5 Houston last year. On the court, the Golden Hurricanes are led by senior forward Jeriah Horne & sophomore guard Sam Griffin. Both are averaging 20 & 17 respectively while each playing 32+ minutes per contest. This is Horne’s second stint with Tulsa as he started in Nebraska, played in Tulsa for 2 years, went to Colorado last season & is now back in Tulsa for his 5th collegiate year. I am not sure what to make of this Golden Hurricane team. Tulsa had a nice win at home against Oregon State where they were slight home underdogs but they also had a terrible loss at home against Air Force where they were big favorites. They were preseason picked to finish 7th in their conference (out of 11 teams) but please keep in mind that they have finished higher than their preseason place in seven of eight seasons in The American. Little known fact, up until about a year or two ago, The American Conference headquarters were (for some reason??) located in Providence before moving to Irving, TX. This will be Rhody’s toughest match of this early season as they will probably come in as 1- or 2-point underdogs. Once again turnovers will be the name of the game as URI averages almost 17 per contest while conversely Tulsa averages only 11.7. I know they like his energy off the bench, but I wonder if Walker will get the start in this one to go up against Jeriah Horne as his speed will be better suited than one of the Mitchell’s covering him? But then again, Makhel is second in the league in blocked shots with 5 a game, so WTF do I know? The way I see it, Tulsa doesn’t do anything great (besides maybe protecting the ball), but they also don’t anything poorly. Like URI, they are a middle of the road team. Which ever team can get up for a sparsely attended neutral site game will probably be the victor. This game could come down to free throw shooting, much like the last time they played in November of 2000. Tulsa made 12 of 14 free throws in the final 3:50 of the last game. URI only shot 56.3% from the line that game. I foresee a reversal of fortune as I think Rhody’s guards will come through in the clutch leading the Rams to a comeback victory, 74-70. Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
2-1, 0-0 in the American
Last season: 11-12, 7-9 in the American

Rankings (URI):
* Denotes last season

Leaders:
Points – Jeriah Horne 20.0 (Sr., F)
Rebounds – Jeriah Horne 8.0 (Sr., F)
Assists – Keyshawn Embery-Simpson 2.3 (Jr., G) (0.7 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 0-2
H: 0-1, A: 0-1, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 11/22/2000 89-80 L at Tulsa
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 – Tulsa
Match-up Predictor: 41.6 Chance of URI Winning
Good write up Spooky, thanks.
Yes, should be our toughest opponent yet.
The frontcourt of Tulsa will also be a good test for us: Idowu (6'9"/ 243), Horne (6'7"), and Dalger (6'7")

I also wouldn't be surprised if Martin starts so he can guard Horne.
Horne can take over the game and that is a concern, Griffin can also put up big #'s.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Malik Martin and Twan will come off the bench per usual

Makhel and Malik are so athletic and long they'll be fine and they'll block shots.

I watched a good portion of Tulsa's game against OSU. They look kinda like us. They're very physical, they've got good athletes. Not great offensively.

I'm interested to see if Walker can start to get it goin. He's been MIA offensively.

Rhody in a rock fight 65-59.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Question is, can the twins stay out of foul trouble?
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Malik Martin and Twan will come off the bench per usual

Makhel and Malik are so athletic and long they'll be fine and they'll block shots.

I watched a good portion of Tulsa's game against OSU. They look kinda like us. They're very physical, they've got good athletes. Not great offensively.

I'm interested to see if Walker can start to get it goin. He's been MIA offensively.

Walker’s offense has been a disappointment. He seems tentative and afraid to shoot. Fortunately he’s been helping defensively and on the boards.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Let's come back from Florida 6-0!
Could happen and then watch the attendance numbers grow!
Attendance #s aren't going to grow with only 1 home game with students on campus in the next 2 Months.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Malik Martin and Twan will come off the bench per usual

Walker’s offense has been a disappointment. He seems tentative and afraid to shoot. Fortunately he’s been helping defensively and on the boards.
Yeah dude has the ability to score 20+ but is hardly hitting anything. Bound to change soon.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago This will be Rhody’s toughest match of this early season as they will probably come in as 1- or 2-point underdogs.
Rankings (URI):
* Denotes last season
Great job as usual, Spooky. Thanks for doing these.

On the gambling side of things, if you’re right about the line Rhody looks like excellent value based on the metrics (with the obvious caveat that it’s very early to glean too much from them).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..Team Rankings says……..after beating BC…….their #82 URI has 64% chance to beat their #128 Tulsa……..URI dancing at 23%
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Fucking Flo sports
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago Fucking Flo sports
The worst
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

So earlier this week I created an account with FloSports but didn't lock in a subscription... I just wanted to see the cost. Yesterday they emailed me with a 20% off one month coupon link. If those want to try that method (create an account and sit tight for a day or two) you may get the same deal.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I stay away from the Flo. Feel like the odds should be in the Rams favor.
0 x
GO RAMS
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah dude has the ability to score 20+ but is hardly hitting anything. Bound to change soon.
I feel he’s been rushing his shot and flinging the ball at the hoop instead of shooting in rhythm. Nothing a little watching of film with a coach can’t fix.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good that you saw Tulsa , I just looked at their scores and then there opponents scores and I think we win 62-56
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I posted this thinking it was gunnna be like 10 bucks at worst.... its 30 bucks???????? lmao
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody underdog +4.5 points
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..hope some of those with Flo can multi task can provide us blind Boomers on here with some game score updates……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Rhody underdog +4.5 points
I'm seeing URI -4.5
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’m seeing URI as 4.5 pt favorites too which would make much more sense
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea that sounds about right.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The same site I first saw the URI +4.5 has it now reversed. This was the first site I saw late this afternoon. All sites now show URI -4.5.
I saw one site has URI -3.5
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah saw -4.5 too

I’m going to pay the 29.95 for the 2 games it’s hard to miss these Rhody Rams
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm concerned that URI is not tough enough to make the NCAAT, Too many soft (not physical) players. I see EA, Walker and Malik as our tougher players, It hasn't hurt us yet. Will it against better competition such as Tulsa? This is just a concern and not a conclusion. To date, I've seen a lot of talent and athleticism and not the physical toughness required to be great.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..for me, Rhode not dancing unless we get the auto bid, which looks unlikely at this early point in season……….individual toughness factor?…….blend a combo of team toughness, team defensive intensity, add some athletic talent…….shoot the three better…….decent recipe for competing in the conference……..Tulsa better competition?………Folks in Vegas seem to not think so……..Go Rhody…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I'm concerned that URI is not tough enough to make the NCAAT, Too many soft (not physical) players. I see EA, Walker and Malik as our tougher players, It hasn't hurt us yet. Will it against better competition such as Tulsa? This is just a concern and not a conclusion. To date, I've seen a lot of talent and athleticism and not the physical toughness required to be great.
Wait, I thought no negative comments were allowed? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I'm concerned that URI is not tough enough to make the NCAAT, Too many soft (not physical) players. I see EA, Walker and Malik as our tougher players, It hasn't hurt us yet. Will it against better competition such as Tulsa? This is just a concern and not a conclusion. To date, I've seen a lot of talent and athleticism and not the physical toughness required to be great.
Wait, I thought no negative comments were allowed? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The team is playing tougher defense than last season. I see every player playing tough defense. On top of that there is a reduction this year of players arguing Referee calls. Maybe that is because we are winning at 3-0. Players all seem to be enjoying themselves and team chemistry looks good. Again winning can do that. Mitchell twins are active, blocking shots, passing and enjoying the game. I think they are playing tougher than you think it this point.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..for me, Rhode not dancing unless we get the auto bid, which looks unlikely at this early point in season……….individual toughness factor?…….blend a combo of team toughness, team defensive intensity, add some athletic talent…….shoot the three better…….decent recipe for competing in the conference……..Tulsa better competition?………Folks in Vegas seem to not think so……..Go Rhody…..
I think Tulsa will be tougher than the teams we have played so far - that would make them tougher competition.

You are saying that the A10 will get no at-large invitations. History doesn't support this position.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..for me, Rhode not dancing unless we get the auto bid, which looks unlikely at this early point in season……….individual toughness factor?…….blend a combo of team toughness, team defensive intensity, add some athletic talent…….shoot the three better…….decent recipe for competing in the conference……..Tulsa better competition?………Folks in Vegas seem to not think so……..Go Rhody…..
I think Tulsa will be tougher than the teams we have played so far - that would make them tougher competition.

You are saying that the A10 will get no at-large invitations. History doesn't support this position.
Maybe history doesn’t support no at-large invites but Lunardi’s latest out yesterday has only the AQ for the A10, no at large.

Lunardi does have Loyola Chicago in as AQ so there’s that for the A10 :roll: :roll: .

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... -men-field
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago

…….I am saying the Rhody path to dancing is the auto bid, an at large with our OOC sked and some bumps along the way(bad losses) will not look good for an at large……..lightning in a bottle during A-10 is the ticket……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

The worst
Is it free and does it just suck?
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Announcers for tonight's game.

3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I just paid the 29.95 for it will watch the Utah BC game too got a big bet on Utah after seeing how bad BC is
1 x
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

FloFootball is only $19.99 instead of 29.99 and it says you can watch all sports with a subscription so trying that route to watch Rhody football this afternoon and then BB tonight.

I can click into basketball and see games live right now so crossing fingers it works tonight for that lower price subscription.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 2 years ago
The worst
Is it free and does it just suck?
It's expensive and sucks
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

The team is playing tougher defense than last season. I see every player playing tough defense. On top of that there is a reduction this year of players arguing Referee calls. Maybe that is because we are winning at 3-0. Players all seem to be enjoying themselves and team chemistry looks good. Again winning can do that. Mitchell twins are active, blocking shots, passing and enjoying the game. I think they are playing tougher than you think it this point.

I’m sure we all agree that Ish is one tough player!

Kinda leaves us with Shep as a true finesse player
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I’m sure we all agree that Ish is one tough player!

Kinda leaves us with Shep as a true finesse player
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Question is, can the twins stay out of foul trouble?
I will blame Cox if they get one more moving pick fouls.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You can buy the yearly subscription, and cancel right away and only be charged 12.95 for one month.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago You can buy the yearly subscription, and cancel right away and only be charged 12.95 for one month.
Why is this Flosports so fucked up????? I've heard multiple scenarios.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago You can buy the yearly subscription, and cancel right away and only be charged 12.95 for one month.
Why is this Flosports so fucked up????? I've heard multiple scenarios.
We agree on this, absolutely horrible. I’ve actually signed up and canceled, and was only charged the monthly rate.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago
I posted this thinking it was gunnna be like 10 bucks at worst.... its 30 bucks???????? lmao
Seriously? That's ridiculous. Guess I'll have to figure out a workaround.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I’m totally confused by FloSports. FloHoops is $29.99 a month but FloFootball is $19.99 and their site says a PRO subscription will give you access to ALL sports except for some discounted subscription types. How the hell are we supposed to know if one is discounted? The last thing I want to do is pay less for Football and then be locked out of Basketball.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

EZBuckets wrote: 2 years ago I’m totally confused by FloSports. FloHoops is $29.99 a month but FloFootball is $19.99 and their site says a PRO subscription will give you access to ALL sports except for some discounted subscription types. How the hell are we supposed to know if one is discounted? The last thing I want to do is pay less for Football and then be locked out of Basketball.
Also, if you go to GoRhody.com and click on the Elon game and click watch, it says $7.99 a month. Does that $7.99 a month get me the basketball games?
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Are you sure you can do this? With my luck I'll be on the hook for a full year.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Haith is a cheater, Cox is a quality dude. The American is a wannabe football conference with mainly boring basketball teams, the Atlantic 10 is maddening but interestingly basketball-focused. Tulsa has a player named Konstantynovskyi, which I cannot even come close to spelling without copy/paste, URI helps you out by starting a couple of Ishmaels and Mitchells. Do any of those things matter to the game? No, but I care. Rhody by 9.
Last edited by ace 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I think this is an outright win and we cover the 3.5 or 4.5 spread.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
Are you sure you can do this? With my luck I'll be on the hook for a full year.
Not really, but so far only charged $12.50.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

It looks like If you sign up through the CAA referral link the monthly rate is $12.50. https://www.flohoops.com/signup?sp=caa& ... mpaign=caa
0 x