11/17 | Boston College | 6:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

11/17 | Boston College | 6:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Boston College
The Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Wednesday, November 17, 2021
6:00PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Boston College Fan Forum
Another Boston College Fan Forum

After vanquishing Boston University in the opening game of the season, The University of Rhode Island takes on the other team from Boston, Boston College. Boston College struggled mightily last season, amassing only four wins (unfortunately one of those was against URI) which led to the firing of the coach & Rhody alum Jim Christian. The Eagles hired former College of Charleston coach Earl Grant in hopes of righting the ship. As most of us are aware, since Boston College foolishly fired Al Skinner after the 2010 season, the Eagles have been awful and have just a 40% winning percentage with 4 different coaches. Compare that to Coach Skinner’s 60% winning percentage during his tenor & it’s clear firing Skinner was the wrong move. As for the players, the Eagles are led by half-brothers DeMarr Langford Jr & former PC friar Makai Ashton-Langford. They are both shooting over 63% from the field and are averaging a combined 30 points, 9 boards & almost 6 assists. Along with Ashton-Langford, their primary ball handler is freshman Jaeden Zackery, who has had 6 assists each of his last two games. Downlow, they do have some height with TJ Bickerstaff, James Karnik, & Quinten Post, all 6’9 or higher with Post being 7’. So, Walker & the Twins won’t be able use their heigh advantage to dominate over the competition. I think his game should be a fun match-up. The team that has the better guard play should win this one. Hopefully Carey’s foot/ankle injury will be healed enough that Rhody can use his defensive skills coming off the bench. When the ball does go down low, the Mitchell twins need to keep better care of it because they are averaging a combined 8 turnovers a game. As a team URI is averaging 18 TOs a game (yuck!) while BC is averaging only 12. My guess is that the spread will be URI -5. I think this game will have a back & forth in the first half & if URI can take care of the rock they will win & cover. My prediction, URI wins it 74-68. Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
3-0, 0-0 in the ACC
Last season: 4-16, 2-11 in the ACC

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 184 (112)*
RPI: 57 (116)
KenPom: 131 (91)
BPI: 124 (107)
Sagarin: 113 (97)
* Denotes last season

Leaders:
Points – DeMarr Langford Jr. 17.3 (Soph., G)
Rebounds – T.J. Bickerstaff 6.3 (Jr., F)
Assists – Jaeden Zackery 4.0 (Fr., G) (1.7 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 14-38
H: 7-20, A: 7-17, N: 0-1
Most Recent Matchup: 11/26/20 69-64 L at Mohegan
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – Boston College
Match-up Predictor: 66.7 Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/17 | Boston College | 6:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by section(105) »

…….Team Rankings now says, after Bryant game…….#85 Rams has 72% chance to beat the #124 Eagles…….Dancing for URI up 7% to 25% chance and finish 11-7 in A-10……..FWIW…….
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Spooky, nice write up. But you have Nov 18 in the headline - should be 17.

Tickets are selling well for this one
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago
University of Rhode Island vs Boston College
The Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Wednesday, November 18, 2021
6:00PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Boston College Fan Forum
Another Boston College Fan Forum

After vanquishing Boston University in the opening game of the season, The University of Rhode Island takes on the other team from Boston, Boston College. Boston College struggled mightily last season, amassing only four wins (unfortunately one of those was against URI) which led to the firing of the coach & Rhody alum Jim Christian. The Eagles hired former College of Charleston coach Earl Grant in hopes of righting the ship. As most of us are aware, since Boston College foolishly fired Al Skinner after the 2010, the Eagles have been awful and have just a 40% winning percentage with 4 different coaches. Compare that to Coach Skinner’s 60% winning percentage during his tenor & it’s clear firing Skinner was the wrong move. As for the players, the Eagles are led by half-brothers DeMarr Langford Jr & former PC friar Makai Ashton-Langford. They are both shooting over 63% from the field and are averaging a combined 30 points, 9 boards & almost 6 assists. Along with Ashton-Langford, their primary ball handler is freshman Jaeden Zackery, who has had 6 assists each of his last two games. Downlow, they do have some height with TJ Bickerstaff, James Karnik, & Quinten Post, all 6’9 or higher with Post being 7’. So, Walker & the Twins won’t be able use their heigh advantage to dominate over the competition. I think his game should be a fun match-up. The team that has the better guard play should win this one. Hopefully Carey’s foot/ankle injury will be healed enough that Rhody can use his defensive skills coming off the bench. When the ball does go down low, the Mitchell twins need to keep better care of it because they are averaging a combined 8 turnovers a game. As a team URI is averaging 18 TOs a game (yuck!) while BC is averaging only 12. My guess is that the spread will be URI -5. I think this game will have a back & forth in the first half & if URI can take care of the rock they will win & cover. My prediction, URI wins it 74-68. Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
3-0, 0-0 in the ACC
Last season: 4-16, 2-11 in the ACC

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 184 (112)*
RPI: 57 (116)
KenPom: 131 (91)
BPI: 124 (107)
Sagarin: 113 (97)
* Denotes last season

Leaders:
Points – DeMarr Langford Jr. 17.3 (Soph., G)
Rebounds – T.J. Bikcerstaff 6.3 (Jr., F)
Assists – Jaeden Zackery 4.0 (Fr., G) (1.7 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 14-38
H: 7-20, A: 7-17, N: 0-1
Most Recent Matchup: 11/26/20 69-64 L at Mohegan
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – Boston College
Match-up Predictor: 66.7 Chance of URI Winning
Spooky, nice summary on BC.

The Langford brothers are a concern.
Also will be curious to see how Walker and the Twins matchup against the size of BC in the paint.
Need strong performances from Shep, Ish, and EA.

If we limit our turnovers and our bigs stay out of foul trouble we should win.
2 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Spooky, nice write up. But you have Nov 18 in the headline - should be 17.
Thanks for catching that.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Spooky, nice write up. But you have Nov 18 in the headline - should be 17.
Thanks for catching that.
:D
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Phuck BC
2 x
:lol:
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

If we limit our turnovers and our bigs stay out of foul trouble we should win.
[/quote]

Big if so far. All 3 have been in foul trouble both games against smaller opponents. The offensive fouls and fouls away from the ball 🏀 need to disappear.. If they do I think they will continue to be a strong force to be reckoned with. Their games should only get better.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Where did Wynston Tabbs end up?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Where did Wynston Tabbs end up?
East Carolina
Hasn't played yet, probably still nursing his previous knee injury (just guessing).
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Where did Wynston Tabbs end up?
East Carolina
Hasn't played yet, probably still nursing his previous knee injury (just guessing).
Thanks. Thats a bit surprising. Seemed to be pretty talented when I watched them play. Seems like he has a chance to be real successful at that level.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Looking forward to Wednesday. BC's bigs scare me. If the Mitchell twins play smart it will be a helluva game.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Spooky, thank you! Are last year's rankings in parentheses or this year's?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Spooky, thank you! Are last year's rankings in parentheses or this year's?
I think I can take a shot at this and Spooky can correct me……
The first number is the opponent and the 2nd number in Parentheses is URI. These are this years rankings for each ranking source except for NET where there is the asterisk where below * Spooky says this is for last year for NET only. This is because the NET rankings do not come out or start until mid to late December every year (NET waits until more current season data is available) so he only references last years final NET number.
2 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Spooky, thank you! Are last year's rankings in parentheses or this year's?
I think I can take a shot at this and Spooky can correct me……
The first number is the opponent and the 2nd number in Parentheses is URI. These are this years rankings for each ranking source except for NET where there is the asterisk where below * Spooky says this is for last year for NET only. This is because the NET rankings do not come out or start until mid to late December every year (NET waits until more current season data is available) so he only references last years final NET number.
Ramster is correct. This is how I have it set up.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Quick question for those of us not paying attention until now - to gain entry into the RC, we need proof of vaccination and have to wear a mask?

Is a picture of your vaccination card good enough or does it have to be the original document?

Thanks!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago Quick question for those of us not paying attention until now - to gain entry into the RC, we need proof of vaccination and have to wear a mask?

Is a picture of your vaccination card good enough or does it have to be the original document?

Thanks!
Mask and picture of vac card.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Looking forward to Wednesday. BC's bigs scare me. If the Mitchell twins play smart it will be a helluva game.
I think I take our bigs over theirs all day everyday
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Bill Koch reported that Jalen Carey practiced today and will probably play tomorrow. He also said that Tres Berry was dressed for practice.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago Quick question for those of us not paying attention until now - to gain entry into the RC, we need proof of vaccination and have to wear a mask?

Thanks!
How about if you get a shot there...and just bring a picture of a mask?
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Bill Koch reported that Jalen Carey practiced today and will probably play tomorrow. He also said that Tres Berry was dressed for practice.
I hope Tres gets some minutes. I’d like to see what he can do.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This is a game we should win. It will be our toughest test so far
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago This is a game we should win. It will be our toughest test so far
I thought BU was a solid win for us and a game we could have lost
We might lose to BC but I’m thinking BU is the better team - at least this year
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Bill Koch reported that Jalen Carey practiced today and will probably play tomorrow. He also said that Tres Berry was dressed for practice.
I hope Tres gets some minutes. I’d like to see what he can do.
Everybody can’t play. Thomas is the backup PG.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….just say a line at……..URI -5.5……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The Thomas thing is amazing. He just shows up and is immediately looking like a player as much as any guard the last 5 years. I hope we hit a homer in there but for what he was and what he has provided I think it’s been a win.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago The Thomas thing is amazing. He just shows up and is immediately looking like a player as much as any guard the last 5 years. I hope we hit a homer in there but for what he was and what he has provided I think it’s been a win.
I don’t disagree. He’s a bundle of energy and I can see why he’s playing. I was just hoping the flow of the game would allow Tres to play a bit.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I think the kids show up for Ryan tonight.

Go Rhody!
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago The Thomas thing is amazing. He just shows up and is immediately looking like a player as much as any guard the last 5 years. I hope we hit a homer in there but for what he was and what he has provided I think it’s been a win.
I don’t disagree. He’s a bundle of energy and I can see why he’s playing. I was just hoping the flow of the game would allow Tres to play a bit.
I would like to see Tres too. I wasn’t commenting on that. More just surprised about Thomas.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I will miss the live broadcast due to a volunteering event, but have it recording - I'll probably watch around 8 or so, but since I'm impatient, will probably check the score. If I start the recording when a game is in progress I can wait, but starting after it's over is a tall order.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhody wins. Third home game in a row. First road game for BC.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The series with BC over the last 30 years has been very competitive and is even at 4-4 despite the fact that five games have been in Newton. URI actually has a winning overall record at Conte Forum of 3-2. The series has had two double OT games with URI prevailing in both.

URI - BC Series in the last 30 years
1991-92 URI 81 - @BC 80 2OT (NIT)
2005-06 @URI 56 - BC 78
2006-07 URI 68 - @BC 86
2007-08 URI 70 - @BC 76
2009-10 URI 80 - @BC 69
2010-11 @URI 67 - BC 65
2011-12 URI 78 - @BC 72 2OT
2020-21 URI 64 - BC 69 (Mohegan Sun)

URI is tentatively schedule to return this game at Conte Forum next season as part of an equal home and home series. Hopefully the days of 2-1 contracts in favor of BC are in the past (done twice in last two decades).
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Is that good or bad news?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago
Is that good or bad news?
I'd say good news, gives us another athletic wing player to play D against the Langford brothers.
0 x
Go Rhody
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Has anyone been able to crack the code of how to listen to the radio broadcast of the B101.5 feed of these games if you're out of town? It used to be on the iHeartRadio app. Now it says the TuneIn app, which I've downloaded, but it's telling me I need to pay for something... That's ridiculous, is there a way to do it without paying? There are all kinds of freaking ads I'm forced to listen to, isn't that how things work in the ad-supported internet economy that we've all signed up for?
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I’ve hit the Tune In pay wall as well. They want about $13-15 month. Last year it was free. Bummed not being able to hear the call. Does anyone have any ideas?
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

does the gorhody / schedule/game link work? or does it send you to b101?

maybe the wriu.com site has it?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago I’ve hit the Tune In pay wall as well. They want about $13-15 month. Last year it was free. Bummed not being able to hear the call. Does anyone have any ideas?
Tune in wants to charge like 2-3x what it costs for other much better streaming services for a thing nobody is would ever want unless they have a specific thing like URI basketball that they would use the app for maybe 5 hours a month. What a joke. I would love to meet a person who pays for that service lol
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

WRIU has the student coverage of the game not Steve.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The radio situation is a joke.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago I’ve hit the Tune In pay wall as well. They want about $13-15 month. Last year it was free. Bummed not being able to hear the call. Does anyone have any ideas?
Tune in wants to charge like 2-3x what it costs for other much better streaming services for a thing nobody is would ever want unless they have a specific thing like URI basketball that they would use the app for maybe 5 hours a month. What a joke. I would love to meet a person who pays for that service lol
That's ridiculous. Sorry no cheaper stream option.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Another nice student turnout. Other sections kind of sparse so far.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

This broad cast had a layup of an intro and complete swung and missed.

Talking about BC and the Langfords: “How often do you have two brothers starting for the same team”

…completely fail to mention the OTHER team who is starting two twins let alone brothers
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago This broad cast had a layup of an intro and complete swung and missed.

Talking about BC and the Langfords: “How often do you have two brothers starting for the same team”

…completely fail to mention the OTHER team who is starting two twins let alone brothers
And then right after that they show a bunch of pictures of Fatts 😆
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Start the game off with two 3s!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well this is a fun start!
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

At the first media timeout, Rhody out to a good start

URI 8, BC 2
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice start !! El Amin looks great

Twins need to avoid dumb fouls !!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Will we get a TO after a 10-0 run?
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

A couple of bad turnovers there and BC has woken up.
0 x