11/12 | Bryant University | 6:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

11/12 | Bryant University | 6:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Bryant University
The Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Friday, November 12, 2021
6:00PM

Media
TV: YurView (Channel 4 on COX in RI)
Online: ESPN+
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Bryant’s Fan Forum (couldn’t find one)

The battle of the top two men’s basketball teams from Rhode Island tips off at The Ryan Center this coming Friday when URI takes on Bryant University. Last season Bryant just missed making the NCAA Tournament when they lost in the NEC Championship game. Coach Jared Grasso who enters his fourth season at the helm looks to get them right back at the top of the NEC as Bryant is picked to finish 2nd this season, just behind Wagner. Another strong season from Bryant & look for this up & coming coach to move onto bigger & better things. Bryant is a guard-oriented team who wants to run & shoot from behind the arc. Bryant made almost 10 3’s per game, shooting it just under 38%. Last season Bryant was third in the country in the difference between their three-point percentage and their opponents three-point percentage (29%). Bryant is led by NEC All-Conference Teams guard Peter Kiss, who missed the team’s opening night win against NAIA school Fisher College because of “a violation of team policy”. Kiss was not needed as the Bulldogs rolled to victory, 122-54. Kiss will be certainly needed if Bryant wants to make a run at the road win as he shot 50/42/85 from the field last season. Along with Kiss, Bryant returns 3 other starters in Chris Childs, Charles Pride, & Hall Elisias. While Bryant will start a 4-guard line-up, they will have to contend with our 3-guard line-up of Shep & the Ishs. In Rhody’s opener, those 3 guards led the way, scoring 60% of the team’s points. Best of all was their free throw shooting down the stretch closing out the game (& covering the -8.5 spread that I was greatly appreciative of). Once again, the Rams will have the size advantage down low with Walker & the Mitchell twins, but our bigs need to stay out of foul trouble as 2 of those 3 fouled out. In this game on Friday, Rhody will have to control the pace & play at their tempo. Bryant will want to run, run, run. Rhody will have to close out the shooter in this one since Bryant like fire at will. If the Ishs play like they did against Bryant & Sheppard can get his shot back after two off nights against BU & JWU, URI should win this one easily. Look for Walker to get back to his double digit scoring after getting shutout in the last game. I am guessing the spread for this one will be about 8 & my prediction is URI wins 78-69. Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
1-0, 0-0 in the NEC
Last season: 15-6, 10-4 in the NEC

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 144 (108)*
RPI: 139 (1)
KenPom: 205 (95)
BPI: 160 (106)
Sagarin: 227 (107)
* Denotes last season

Leaders:
Points – Charles Pride 25.0 (Jr., G)
Rebounds – Luis Hurtado 12.0 (Sr., G)
Assists – Tyler Brelsford 11.0 (Fr., G) (2.0 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 4-0
H: 4-0, A: 0-0, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 11/6/18 97-63 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 4 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 74.5 Chance of URI Winning
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Re: 11/12 | Bryant University | 6:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

don't sleep on Bryant. they got something going up there in Smithfield.

it'll be a rock fight
1 x
:lol:
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago don't sleep on Bryant. they got something going up there in Smithfield.

it'll be a rock fight
We shouldn't sleep on any team we face this season. We are capable of losing to any team as well as beating any team this year.
Yes Bryan does have some players, but we should dominate in the paint along with being more athletic. We just can't give them good looks.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

We can’t dominate if our starting frontcpurt gets 14 fouls a game. Let’s hope that was an anomaly.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This should be a VERY high scoring game.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Two of their best players, Peter Kiss and Chris Childs, have been held out of action for an unspecified violation. Would be a huge blow them if they don't play Friday.
0 x
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I don’t like this game. Not even for us, for anyone.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I grew up around Bryant and root for them otherwise. Theyre well coached and this shouldnt be seen as a cupcake game. That said, lets freakin bury em.
2 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Two of their best players, Peter Kiss and Chris Childs, have been held out of action for an unspecified violation. Would be a huge blow them if they don't play Friday.
I think it’s safe to assume they’ll be playing. This game means a lot to Grasso.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If URI slows the game down, we will be in trouble. We can guard the perimeter and run them out of town. URI is bigger, faster and more athletic. They can shoot better but only against lesser competition.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think them not being a very good defensive team will really work in our favor

I also see them hitting an annoying amount of shots

Still have plenty of confidence we will win

Probably keep them at arms length like BU.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hitting an Annoying amount of shots, that’s a good way to put it. That’s exactly what I feel will happen. This will be unnecessarily close.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

And they will have 4 shooters out there with 1 true big so again interesting how we play it match up wise...Again seems like a game where either Mitchell guarding out by the 3point line for long stretches. Offensively we should be much bigger and hopefully can exploit that. If we keep TOs down we should be able to overwhelm them eventually.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Dominate them.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago If URI slows the game down, we will be in trouble. We can guard the perimeter and run them out of town. URI is bigger, faster and more athletic. They can shoot better but only against lesser competition.
……….why would we slow the game down?…….our early tendencies seems to be pressure the ball hard, defend passing lanes, close out on 3 pt shooters, transition quickly pushing the ball…….go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago If URI slows the game down, we will be in trouble. We can guard the perimeter and run them out of town. URI is bigger, faster and more athletic. They can shoot better but only against lesser competition.
it's the runnin' rams not the leisurely strollin' rams
0 x
:lol:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…..I like this game, for RI basketball……..victory here is one step closer to the Quahog Cup……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Two of their best players, Peter Kiss and Chris Childs, have been held out of action for an unspecified violation. Would be a huge blow them if they don't play Friday.
I think it’s safe to assume they’ll be playing. This game means a lot to Grasso.
I agree and would be shocked if they don't play, unless because of some major violation. Especially Kiss who is their top player and 1st Team All-Conference (16.6 pts/50%FG/42%3PT).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Just drove up to RI for the game tomorrow. Having dinner tonight at the Matunuck Oyster Bar, can't wait. :)
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

…if I haven’t said it already…I hate this game.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago …if I haven’t said it already…I hate this game.
Why DC, I am looking forward to it?
I am glad we were able to add this game and giving us 31. Besides defending their perimeter game can help us against teams like Davidson.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Why? It's an NEC team. This should be a slaughter. If not, oh well.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Why? It's an NEC team. This should be a slaughter. If not, oh well.
Because teams that are known to shoot the 3 always find a way to get hot against URI….covered or uncovered, I just don’t like the pace Bryant plays at when they are clicking. This feels like an early season “trap” game. If you think because it’s Bryant, it will be a slaughter, you’re being naive. Much worse teams have already beaten much better this year.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Why? It's an NEC team. This should be a slaughter. If not, oh well.
Because teams that are known to shoot the 3 always find a way to get hot against URI….covered or uncovered, I just don’t like the pace Bryant plays at when they are clicking. This feels like an early season “trap” game. If you think because it’s Bryant, it will be a slaughter, you’re being naive. Much worse teams have already beaten much better this year.
Yeah, I predicted the team to be 7-6 OOC.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If you simply look at the two conferences teams are in to determine a winner, pretty tough to take you seriously at all.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….can I ask, why?……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
…….can I ask, why?……
………cancel, my bad, scrolling down is fundamental……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
If you simply look at the two conferences teams are in to determine a winner, pretty tough to take you seriously at all.
Hope you're friars beat shu tonight.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..I think rather than trap game, this game, as all others in the “weak” OOC represents another opportunity for rebuilding the culture, and gaining confidence in the goals and objectives for the season…..cleaning up what was needed from BU game(too many fouls on the bigs)and moving on……No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Ah yes, looks like any time I bring up a legitimate (correct) take, I’ll get called a PC fan moving forward.

Just off the top of my head, Northern Illinois beat Washington, and Navy beat Virginia this week, both from lesser conferences.

Now will we be favored? Yes. Should we win if we play to our talent level? Yes.

But simply looking at conferences to determine who wins a basketball game is a weird opinion to have.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Our bigs may foul a bunch if they are asked to guard guys half their size 20 feet from the hoop, just sayin. I’m more interested in seeing us clean up the turnovers. Against a team that shoots lots of threes any extra possession can be deadly. Make ‘em one and done and protect the ball and we will win. But agree with DC due to their style they can be dangerous.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Ah yes, looks like any time I bring up a legitimate (correct) take, I’ll get called a PC fan moving forward.

Just off the top of my head, Northern Illinois beat Washington, and Navy beat Virginia this week, both from lesser conferences.

But simply looking at conferences to determine who wins a basketball game is a weird opinion to have.
What are you talking about? You are a self proclaimed friar fan.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Is it fair to say that the Men are playing in the undercard game?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Self proclaimed huh? Please show me where that was posted, instead of just spewing nonsense, which is hard for you because we know that’s all you say these days.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Wow....who'd have thunk 3 years ago that the words "Bryant" and "trap game" would be in the same conversation... yikes
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Self proclaimed huh? Please show me where that was posted, instead of just spewing nonsense, which is hard for you because we know that’s all you say these days.
I don't have time to get the posts. But they are there.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Wow....who'd have thunk 3 years ago that the words "Bryant" and "trap game" would be in the same conversation... yikes
Right? Like this game is a trap game? If a game against Bryant is a trap game, I want a new team and a new coach..
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….any of the Vegas folks placing a number on this game yet?……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You know what a trap game is, right? You know Bryant made the tourney last year, right? They are not a bottom dweller any more. We are the better team, all around, I just don’t want to get into a 3pt contest with them after just shooting 6 against BU.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Right? Like this game is a trap game? If a game against Bryant is a trap game, I want a new team and a new coach..
Lol trap game implies the team is worse than you.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Where were you when URI lost to NAIA Lubbock Christian University in 2003 at the RC Any game against a much lower ranked opponent is a trap game. Any game, win or lose, you will find a reason to fire the coach. Upsets happen all the time - you need to take a long view.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

DC is right. We could very well lose this game. Bryant is a very good team. And people are undermining how much this game means to them and their coach. They want this game like blood. Grasso has had this circled for a very long time.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Sad face....
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago DC is right. We could very well lose this game. Bryant is a very good team. And people are undermining how much this game means to them and their coach. They want this game like blood. Grasso has had this circled for a very long time.
I think if Bryant has their two players that they were missing in the first game that this is a complete tossup game. I'm not sure what we have done to justify that we should destroy anyone. We didn't exactly run BU out of the gym and Bryant is a better team than them. They beat a UMASS team last year that we lost to a couple times.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago DC is right. We could very well lose this game. Bryant is a very good team. And people are undermining how much this game means to them and their coach. They want this game like blood. Grasso has had this circled for a very long time.
…….maybe they will try to play some defense…….isn’t that not exactly what they are known for in the Grasso era…….?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….maybe they will try to play some defense…….isn’t that not exactly what they are known for in the Grasso era…….?
……..Grasso’s Super Bowl…….?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

……..Grasso’s Super Bowl…….?
I’ve watched Bryant multiple times last year. They are a very good shooting team and surprisingly athletic
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

Lol trap game implies the team is worse than you.
Right, I’m not sure if they are being funny, or they really don’t know.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
I think if Bryant has their two players that they were missing in the first game that this is a complete tossup game. I'm not sure what we have done to justify that we should destroy anyone. We didn't exactly run BU out of the gym and Bryant is a better team than them. They beat a UMASS team last year that we lost to a couple times.
BU isnt exactly chopped liver, either.
0 x