11/9 | Boston University | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 11/9 | Boston University | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by McRam »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
McRam wrote: 2 years ago So last year every play seemed to be a high pick and roll with Fatts. This game I cannot think of a single pick and roll.

How about a little mix up of the offense and for sure dump a Mitchell in the low post and get him the ball and get the hell outmofmthenway. This should not be that complicated, we do this up to 10 times a game. If that happens, the Mitchell’s should dominate many games. It’ s ok to get a Mitchell involved out high sometimes, but not every time.

And when the ball get to them, leave them room.
Not sure what you mean. The offense was almost 100% new today. Sets designed to get shots close to the basket. Lots of screens and back screens. The twins had at least 10-15 possessions with their back to the basket where either they took a bad shot, were fouled or simply scored.

The 3 seems like it will only be taken when it’s open, I like it, but folks are right, we have to put up more than what we did today.
I agree with union new offense My point is u don’t have to play 100 percent s the same offense. My point is why not run some pick and rolls. My other point is many times the Mitchell’s would get the ball far from the basket. I can only one time that they passed into a standard low post position

U say the Mitchel’s had 10-15 possessions w their back to the basket , it seems to me that most times they were not in good scoring position

Will pay closer attention in Bryant game.

Still early in season so
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

For anyone that is interested in seeing how URI's opening night game attendance compared to the rest of the A-10, these are the numbers for all 14 teams that played at about the same time on Tuesday:

Atlantic 10 Opening Night Attendance

Dayton 13,407
VCU 7,017
Richmond 6,173
Rhody 5,133
SLU 4,805
St. Bonaventure 4,617
Mason 4,558
UMass 2,903
Davidson 2,779
Duquesne 2,276
GW 1,821
La Salle 1,637
St. Joe’s 1,617
Fordham 1,100
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago For anyone that is interested in seeing how URI's opening night game attendance compared to the rest of the A-10, these are the numbers for all 14 teams that played at about the same time on Tuesday:

Dayton 13,407
VCU 7,017
Richmond 6,173
Rhody 5,133
SLU 4,805
St. Bonaventure 4,617
Mason 4,558
UMass 2,903
Davidson 2,779
Duquesne 2,276
GW 1,821
La Salle 1,637
St. Joe’s 1,617
Fordham 1,100
Is the 1100 for Fordham a sell out at Rose Hill?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago For anyone that is interested in seeing how URI's opening night game attendance compared to the rest of the A-10, these are the numbers for all 14 teams that played at about the same time on Tuesday:

Dayton 13,407
VCU 7,017
Richmond 6,173
Rhody 5,133
SLU 4,805
St. Bonaventure 4,617
Mason 4,558
UMass 2,903
Davidson 2,779
Duquesne 2,276
GW 1,821
La Salle 1,637
St. Joe’s 1,617
Fordham 1,100
Is the 1100 for Fordham a sell out at Rose Hill?
Far from it - Rose Hill Gym has an official capacity of 3,200.

UMass led the league on opening night with the most unused seats in their arena - 6,590. Only 30% of the 9,493 seats in the Mullins Center were occupied.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Last thought on this game and looking forward

Does Leggett remind anyone else of Terrell? Seems to be well built physically, listed at 180 which I would imagine is on the lighter side (crazy to think terrell was listed at 220lbs)

Biggest similarity to me is how solid he is across his whole game. Plays confident, under control, and with purpose. Only difference might be to see if Ish can develop a more consistent 3 pointer. Looking back at Terrell stats it’s definitely something he improved on year over year.
I felt the other night that he may have have slimmed down a bit since last year. I don’t view that as a negative.
To the larger point, I feel he is Rhody’s best player even right now and it will be borne out by season’s end. He’s an excellent defensive player, is good enough on offense and sticks his nose in on the boards when he needs to. Also, I feel he has a good basketball IQ.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago So last year every play seemed to be a high pick and roll with Fatts. This game I cannot think of a single pick and roll.

How about a little mix up of the offense and for sure dump a Mitchell in the low post and get him the ball and get the hell outmofmthenway. This should not be that complicated, we do this up to 10 times a game. If that happens, the Mitchell’s should dominate many games. It’ s ok to get a Mitchell involved out high sometimes, but not every time.

And when the ball get to them, leave them room.
Not sure what you mean. The offense was almost 100% new today. Sets designed to get shots close to the basket. Lots of screens and back screens. The twins had at least 10-15 possessions with their back to the basket where either they took a bad shot, were fouled or simply scored.

The 3 seems like it will only be taken when it’s open, I like it, but folks are right, we have to put up more than what we did today.
I agree with union new offense My point is u don’t have to play 100 percent s the same offense. My point is why not run some pick and rolls. My other point is many times the Mitchell’s would get the ball far from the basket. I can only one time that they passed into a standard low post position

U say the Mitchel’s had 10-15 possessions w their back to the basket , it seems to me that most times they were not in good scoring position

Still early in season so
I dont think anyone has addressed it, but I'm pretty sure Makhel is still banged up. He had an ankle issue and sat out the exhibition right?

If he's healthy I doubt he's nonexistent in the BU game.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Still early in season so
I dont think anyone has addressed it, but I'm pretty sure Makhel is still banged up. He had an ankle issue and sat out the exhibition right?

BU game was more of foul trouble in my opinion. Had 2 fouls in the first 10 minutes of the game so he rode the bench for most of the rest of the first half. Then he picked up his 3rd in the first couple minutes of the 2nd half
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

Still early in season so

BU game was more of foul trouble in my opinion. Had 2 fouls in the first 10 minutes of the game so he rode the bench for most of the rest of the first half. Then he picked up his 3rd in the first couple minutes of the 2nd half
Makhel had 5 fouls in 18 minutes.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Still early in season so

Yeah, but you foul more when you're hurt. He just didn't seem to fight for position like he did last year.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yeah, but you foul more when you're hurt. He just didn't seem to fight for position like he did last year.
How many of his 5 fouls were illegal screens?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

I can only remember one.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I can only remember one.
The twins need to get better at two things if we are going to succeed. 1. Staying out of foul trouble 2. Free Throws
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

And stop missing dunks.
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

I can only remember one.
The twins need to get better at two things if we are going to succeed. 1. Staying out of foul trouble 2. Free Throws
Shaq would like a word
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago And stop missing dunks.
……..yes, “let’s go to the video tape”……..Warner Wolf reference…….yes, it does seem to me that the Twins do have a high number of bunnies missed, that bounce around the cup and do not go in……no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

I can only remember one.
Shaq would like a word
Ha, I know you're probably being facetious anyway, but I think Old Shaq sometimes blurs people's memories about Young Shaq - the quick, nimble force of nature who was a terror on defense as well. Shaq was always pretty good at avoiding fouls, until around age 33, 34, despite averaging 35 MPG, 2.5 BPG, 12 RPG, etc. Best as I can tell, he only fouled out 64 times in 1,207 games, which is pretty low for his style of play.