Jeff Dowtin NBA Player

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Jeff Dowtin NBA Player

Unread post by reef »

Kind of bummed he didn’t get a guaranteed deal but a 2 way is the next best option
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Hey El Jefe is making bank - and not just on his drives to the basket. :D
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Ima just go out and say I'll be surprised if Jeff doesn't one day become a full time role player for somebody.

I'm already surprised he looks as good as he does now. Makes me feel like he's not done improving. He still needs to work on the jumper, but it's not terrible by any means. He's big enough, fast enough, high ball IQ and we all know he can play defense with the best of them.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Kind of bummed he didn’t get a guaranteed deal but a 2 way is the next best option
Two way in today's NBA might as well be a contract. He can play up to 50 games, and Toronto has a glaring hole at PG. This is probably the best chance he'll have to break into the league full time.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Kind of bummed he didn’t get a guaranteed deal but a 2 way is the next best option
Two way in today's NBA might as well be a contract. He can play up to 50 games, and Toronto has a glaring hole at PG. This is probably the best chance he'll have to break into the league full time.
Absolutely his best opportunity and not a bad pay day either.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

good for him!
0 x
:lol:
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Thats great, but I feel like he should be on an nba roster all season. Most of his time is still in G league right?

who was the last one signed to an NBA deal on Toronto? Is he the “property of Toronto as long as he on a two way contract? In other words, is this the cheap way to have control of him ?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Ima just go out and say I'll be surprised if Jeff doesn't one day become a full time role player for somebody.

I'm already surprised he looks as good as he does now. Makes me feel like he's not done improving. He still needs to work on the jumper, but it's not terrible by any means. He's big enough, fast enough, high ball IQ and we all know he can play defense with the best of them.
I think your right I can see him having a 5-8 year NBA career easily
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Thats great, but I feel like he should be on an nba roster all season. Most of his time is still in G league right?

who was the last one signed to an NBA deal on Toronto? Is he the “property of Toronto as long as he on a two way contract? In other words, is this the cheap way to have control of him ?

I think this post earlier by Dan of Arizona clarified the two-way contract process for me. Yes if gives Toronto control but of course it’s a two way street. If Jeff thought he could do better of course he could have chosen somewhere else.

He gets half the NBA minimum which is a very hefty $508,000 per year. I’m guessing there are medical and other benefits associated with that salary too, just don’t know.

Article shows who other teams have as their two players allowed for each team in their “two-way” contracts. Some pretty impressive players.

It’s a very good place for Jeff. Each team gets 15 roster positions PLUS 2 “two-way” positions. These players can now play up to 50 NBA games (of the 82 total games)

Jeff gets yo play in ghe G-League and will get plenty of playing time there - plus get to play with the Raptors NBA team.

Better situation to be in than being a permanent 13th, 14th or 15th guy on an NBA team that rarely sees minutes - at this point in Jeff’s NBA career.

DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron
Report Quote
Post 2 days ago

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/07/202 ... ranchises.

Regarding two-way contracts.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Loved hearing from Jeff. He is so grounded and gracious.
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Jeff Dowtin with a few clips competing with the best of em!!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What city that pickup gsme held ??
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

That’sthe UCLA pickup game. I’ve been over a decade ago and a good amount of pros training in LA come after morning workouts to play there.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This is a thread about a former player that I and most Rhody fans actually still continue to care about. :D
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last night Jeff played 5 minutes in a 30 point win over Atlanta
4 points
2-2 FG
1 rebound
1 assist
0 turnovers
8 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Get that man more minutes!
3 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Unfortunately, Jeff got only three minutes in Toronto’s 43 point blowout over the Spurs last night. The lead was 35 after three quarters.
It continues to amaze me when coaches keep starters and key bench players in a game that has long been decided. A coach would look foolish if a player sustained a serious injury in a situation like that.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

JimSidd wrote: 1 year ago Unfortunately, Jeff got only three minutes in Toronto’s 43 point blowout over the Spurs last night. The lead was 35 after three quarters.
It continues to amaze me when coaches keep starters and key bench players in a game that has long been decided. A coach would look foolish if a player sustained a serious injury in a situation like that.
None of Toronto's starters played more than 28 minutes. Unfortunately for Jeff, it looks like he's at the absolute end of the bench rotation, as the third string PG or fifth guard.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
JimSidd wrote: 1 year ago Unfortunately, Jeff got only three minutes in Toronto’s 43 point blowout over the Spurs last night. The lead was 35 after three quarters.
None of Toronto's starters played more than 28 minutes. Unfortunately for Jeff, it looks like he's at the absolute end of the bench rotation, as the third string PG or fifth guard.
Another crazy thing is Raps won last 2 games by 30 and 43 and FVV was out for both
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

MAR 25, 2023 10:37 AM EDT
Jeff Dowtin Jr. Continues to Force Toronto's Hand as Contract Decisions Lurk

The Toronto Raptors continue to be impressed with Jeff Dowtin Jr. whose contract is going to have to be amended in the coming days
BY AARON ROSE
David Richard-USA TODAY Sports
In this story:

TORONTO RAPTORS
At this point, Jeff Dowtin Jr. has shown enough. He's not going to be an NBA difference-maker but he's proven this season he can hang with the big boys.

It's as simple as just understanding his role and knowing how to play, Raptors coach Nick Nurse said of Dowtin Friday night. The 25-year-old backup point guard has been reliable and consistent whenever he's been called upon and when it comes to cracking the Toronto Raptors rotation, oftentimes that's good enough.
"I think that he's a really good defender, first and foremost. He's really done a solid job," said Nurse. "I can't really remember a time he's not played pretty well for us. He's able to make a bucket, ... he's an adequate three-point shooter and he knows how to play."

With eight games remaining in the season, Dowtin is forcing the Raptors into a decision. He's been listed as active in 45 games this season and Toronto is quickly approaching the 50-game cutoff for players on two-way contracts. Complicating matters even further, Dowtin isn't eligible for post-season play on his current contract.
In reality, it shouldn't be too much of an issue for Toronto and the fact that it's taken the Raptors this long to convert Dowtin's contract to a standard deal is already a little perplexing. While Toronto doesn't have a roster spot for Dowtin right now, it shouldn't be too difficult to create one. Joe Wieskamp hasn't played rotation minutes in weeks now and Thad Young's tenure in Toronto appears to be coming to be nearing an end.

On Friday, Dowtin nailed a pair of mid-range jumpers, connected on a corner three-pointer, poked the ball loose for three steals, and had Toronto's offense organized in his season-high 29 minutes.
"He can play defense, can pressure those guards out there. Making the right plays, trying to put them in the right position. Keeping it simple," Pascal Siakam said.

That's the key to making the jump from the G League to the NBA, Nurse said. There are so many talented G League players who can dominate at the lower levels but can't seem to hack it when they get called up. The NBA is just so much faster, so much bigger, and so much more talented than the minor leagues that even the best G League players often struggle to acclimate.
"The guys that make the easiest transition understand that they're probably in some kind of role," Nurse said. "What is their skill that they can do to go up and play a role for an NBA team?"
Dowtin seems to understand that. He plays within himself, giving Toronto solid minutes off the bench and holding his own in matchups against opposing second units. For a team so bereft of backcourt depth, that's more than enough to earn a spot moving forward.

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/.amp/new ... sions-lurk
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jeff's 29 minutes last night were his high for the season with Toront

Toronto has won 4 of last 6 games fighting to hold onto a playoff spot with just 8 games remaining.
Jeff can play 5 more games until he hits his 50 game contract limit

Will be interesting to see how this progresses

Wed April 5 and Friday April 7 Toronto will play AT Boston.

Toronto is in the 9th or 10 playoff spots just .5 game behind Atlanta.
Toronto next plays Washington Sunday night.
DB7508A0-788C-41D9-B4CE-F68EB886B913.jpeg
A606AD8A-98FF-4439-9D3C-DBE769378C4D.jpeg
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Amazing that there are some that believe Jeff doesn't care about basketball.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Jeff's 29 minutes last night were his high for the season with Toront

Toronto has won 4 of last 6 games fighting to hold onto a playoff spot with just 8 games remaining.
Jeff can play 5 more games until he hits his 50 game contract limit

Will be interesting to see how this progresses

Wed April 5 and Friday April 7 Toronto will play AT Boston.

Toronto is in the 9th or 10 playoff spots just .5 game behind Atlanta.
Toronto next plays Washington Sunday night.

DB7508A0-788C-41D9-B4CE-F68EB886B913.jpeg

A606AD8A-98FF-4439-9D3C-DBE769378C4D.jpeg
They need to amend his contract so he will be playoff eligible
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

But he wasn't good enough to be our point guard. Still pisses me off.
5 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Amazing that there are some that believe Jeff doesn't care about basketball.
Nobody really said that though.
5 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Excellent story! Thanks for posting it, Ramster.

Hopefully, the Toronto front office is committed to making the playoff’s (I will assume they do) because the only way I do not see them converting Jeff’s contract is if they are not all in on making the playoffs.

To me, imho, it just doesn’t make sense to be committed to making the playoff’s while allowing one of your steadiest players to be ineligible to play.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seems like Nick Nurse finally has confidence in him now , I expect them to sign him soon for the playoffs
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Toronto beat Washington 114-104
Dowtin
19 minutes
1-2 FG
1-1 3P
2 rebounds
4 assists with zero TOs
3 points
Jeff's +14 was 2nd highest to Anunoby's +18
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Toronto beat Washington 114-104
Dowtin
19 minutes
1-2 FG
1-1 3P
2 rebounds
4 assists with zero TOs
3 points
Nice that Trent Jr missing time more minutes for JD
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Toronto beat Washington 114-104
Dowtin
19 minutes
1-2 FG
1-1 3P
2 rebounds
4 assists with zero TOs
3 points
Nice that Trent Jr missing time more minutes for JD

Raptors: F Precious Achiuwa also returned after missing two games because of a sore right hamstring. … G Gary Trent Jr. (right elbow) sat for the third straight game. … G Will Barton left in the first quarter because of a sprained left ankle and did not return.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Barton injury key for JD also
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Barton injury key for JD also
Very much key
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on Raps get JD off of that 2 way !!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Come on Raps get JD off of that 2 way !!
Reef,
Toronto is the one NBA team that has really given Dowtin opportunities at the G-league level with playing time and also on the NBA team.

Jeff is playing tonight with Raptors playing Miami. Toronto up 70-54 now in the 3rd. Game is on TNT.

I'm thinking they will have Jeff on their playoff roster - hope so. Only 6 games left after tonight's game.
Good article below.

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/toronto-rapto ... 77?tsn-amp
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Come on Raps get JD off of that 2 way !!
Reef,
Toronto is the one NBA team that has really given Dowtin opportunities at the G-league level with playing time and also on the NBA team.

Jeff is playing tonight with Raptors playing Miami. Toronto up 70-54 now in the 3rd. Game is on TNT.

I'm thinking they will have Jeff on their playoff roster - hope so. Only 6 games left after tonight's game.
Good article below.

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/toronto-rapto ... 77?tsn-amp
Raps win again 13 minutes for JD
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Only 4 turnovers in 21 games for Jeff!
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Unbelievable how he’s always been great with the assist to TO ratio
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Unbelievable how he’s always been great with the assist to TO ratio
One of the multiple checked boxes he checks off when objectively measuring the characteristics of an excellent point guard.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Only 4 turnovers in 21 games for Jeff!
Now in 22 games this season:

26 assists
5 turnovers
8 steals

Amazing 5+ Assist/Turnover Ratio

Not surprising to URI fans who have followed him for years
7 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Only 4 turnovers in 21 games for Jeff!
Now in 22 games this season:

26 assists
5 turnovers
8 steals

Amazing 5+ Assist/Turnover Ratio

Not surprising to URI fans who have followed him for years
I'm sure one former coach is surprised.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s former Coach David Cox who took JD off the ball
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

And that’s why we CUT BAIT !
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Wondering if we will get a chance to see Jeff play against the Celtics in Boston??
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We should play twice in April back to back and who knows if we get a 2 v 7 in the playoffs
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Knowing the Raps they probably take this right to the deadline
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Knowing the Raps they probably take this right to the deadline
Yes Reef, apparently it has to do with taxes. But Jeff only has a couple games left til he hits the 50 limit.
There will still be several important games remaining plus the playoffs so I expect (and several Toronto message board members) somebody to get cut to make way for Jeff.
Expect something good in the next few days I think.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jeff's last 10 games
  • 18 assists 3 turnovers = 6.0 A/TO Ratio
  • 13 assists zero TOs last 6 games
  • Blocked Tyler Herro Shot vs Miami
  • 13-31 FG = 43%, 4-12 3FG = 33%, 2-4 FT = 50%
  • 6 steals
  • 10 rebounds

DFADB119-1065-40DB-90D6-B5C15FD8F3F7.png
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Nick Nurse seems to be out at the end with d the season wonder if that affects anything
0 x