Jeff Dowtin NBA Player

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: Jeff Dowtin NBA Player

Unread post by PeteRI »

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Jeff is a 24-year-old guard. Unfortunately, many teams will want the 19-20-year-old kids who they think may have more potential. A good friend of mine played at a Big10 school and was the Gleague MVP. He would put up monster numbers and still could barely get on an NBA roster. He ended up making a lot of money playing all around the world... Xavier Munford is another example.

I don't like Jeff's chances of getting minutes for the Magic. They have Suggs, Cole Anthony, T Ross, Gary Harris, RJ Hampton, and Fultz will be back at some point. There are reports that Harris and Ross are on the block, so I think Jeff could find some minutes if Magic traded them.

I would love to see Jeff in the NBA, but I think he can make some good money overseas.
Age is the problem. Teams want guys who have room to grow rather than what they perceive as finished products. Same thing plagued Bryce Cotton, who decided he’d be better off overseas. He got a quick look in the NBA and did very well in his opportunity, but didn’t stick. He’s been league MVP in Australia 3 years in a row I think and has made a ton of money. Dowtin could follow a similar path.
Thanks for introducing him to me. Never heard of him before but that's my fault, not his. Jeff would be in great company if he had a similar career. Here's a terrific article on Bryce:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball ... f1552097ab
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Keep the hope alive Jefe good chance he gets a roster spot next year
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Jeff just got the call up to the Magic on a 10 Day! Go Jeff...make us proud!
6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

About damn time.
3 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I’ve had the time to watch some of his games this year and the clips some of you have posted. Damn, he is good! And, he was good when he was here.

He is worthy of a full time roster spot in the NBA! His shot looks great, his handle is confident, his court vision is pro level, his basket ball IQ is excellent. Plus, he has a great attitude. If I was an NBA GM or coach, heck yea, he would be on my team in a
NY minute! I don’t care how long he has been out of college. He works his ass off; He’s a winner!
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good news hope he gets some run
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Finally, a reason for me to watch the NBA. Go Jeff!!
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Golden State @ Orlando tonight @ 7pm

Magic upset Golden State tonight. Jeff was DNP but hopefully next game.
1 x
Sox1
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Sox1 »

Has anyone been watching magic games this past week? Im curious to know how his game is translating compared to the box score. Looks like hes done pretty well offensively but has a really horrific +/-. Anyone know if thats due to his defensive abilities in the NBA or just the magic being magic?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sox1 wrote: 2 years ago Has anyone been watching magic games this past week? Im curious to know how his game is translating compared to the box score. Looks like hes done pretty well offensively but has a really horrific +/-. Anyone know if thats due to his defensive abilities in the NBA or just the magic being magic?
I’ve seen bits and pieces , looks like he’s getting minutes at least
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Has struggled a bit offensively in the first few games but the one last night vs Cleveland was probably his best overall besides the +/- Good sign tho that a few games in he’s performed better. I think you could expect him to start in one of the Magics final games too so they can really see what he can do. Hope he can really show out and set up a contract for next year somewhere.
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Jeff's +/- has more to do with how bad the Orlando bench/second unit is. The last few games that entire group has gotten smoked. They all have similar plus/minus numbers.

So incredibly awesome that Jeff has worked himself into this opportunity. Love seeing his name in the box score!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Munford, Terrell, Dowtin.

Creating a nice little tradition of sending our guards to the league, albeit for short stints.
2 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Jeff's +/- has more to do with how bad the Orlando bench/second unit is. The last few games that entire group has gotten smoked. They all have similar plus/minus numbers.
Yep, plus the Magic are in full tank mode. The guys that Jeff is usually on the floor with are... not great, to be nice.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not a great year to tank last years draft was much better at the top
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Not a great year to tank last years draft was much better at the top
Not really.

Paulo, Chet, Jabari Smith, Jaden Ivy are very, very comparable to Cade, Mobley, Green, and Barnes.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago Not a great year to tank last years draft was much better at the top
Not really.

Paulo, Chet, Jabari Smith, Jaden Ivy are very, very comparable to Cade, Mobley, Green, and Barnes.
And I love the games of Keegan Murray and Jalen Duren
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jeff playing for Toronto this summer

Jeff Dowtin

A shiny Canadian quarter in donations for every time “senior” is mentioned in this piece. Yes folks, it’s another one. Jeff spent the 2021 preseason with the Orlando Magic, and the 2020-21 season with the Lakeland Magic of the NBA G League. After a 2021 Summer League with Golden State, he then had his contract converted into a Two-Way deal with the Warriors during the 2021-22 season.

Dowtin was originally projected as a 2nd rounder by many draft outlets but went undrafted in the 2020 NBA Draft. In his four years at Rhode Island, Dowtin led his team to two NCAA Tournament appearances. He’s a skilled, athletic playmaker who doesn’t necessarily “wow” you in any specific skill of his game. He does everything you need a point guard to do at an adequate level. Problem is, when you make it this far as a professional basketball player — you usually need something to stand out. And if you’re like most NBA backup point guards, you better be damn good at everything just to stick.

https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2022/07 ... -know/amp/
6 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thank for the posting, Ramster.

You know what skill Jeff has that is outstanding and makes him stand out? He is a winner.

Happy to see Toronto is giving him a shot.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Thank for the posting, Ramster.

You know what skill Jeff has that is outstanding and makes him stand out? He is a winner.

The second skill...he is a leader. (You get that by playing 4 years in college and playing.)
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Thank for the posting, Ramster.

The second skill...he is a leader. (You get that by playing 4 years in college and playing.)
Actually Jeff was a leader his Freshman year when he took over the starting PG spot and led URI to the NCAA tournament. He was outstanding as a leader as. Sophomore again leading URI to the NCAA Tourney.

A shame his leadership skills as a PG were not maximized his JR and SR years as PG as Cox moved him to wing in favor of Russell.
4 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Third skill? Smart!. Always looked like he was playing chess. Probing defenses and taking whatever they were giving.
2 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

4 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'm lost on how this kid is not on an NBA roster. I've watched almost every summer league game and he's one of the most poised guards on any roster. Give him a shot!!!
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Hes' on NBA TV right now. By far the smartest player on the floor.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Dowtin’s stats against the bulls:

26 minutes
16 points
7/11 FG
2/4 from 3
3 rebounds
2 assists
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago Dowtin’s stats against the bulls:

26 minutes
16 points
7/11 FG
2/4 from 3
3 rebounds
2 assists
He should have had a lot more assists. He had a bunch of great passes and his teammates blew some layups or got fouled.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Hes' on NBA TV right now. By far the smartest player on the floor.
He's trying to orchestrate and run things out there and a lot of times his teammates aren't listening to him. I get it - it's Summer League and everyone's trying to get theirs. But that floor general-type stuff is probably impressing scouts.
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

C'mon man! Somebody has to sign him!!!
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Raptors fans really want him too.
2 x
GO RAMS
Ramfan22
ARD

Dowtin against the Heat:

16 points
8 rebounds
5 assists
2 steals
3 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Jeff not starting for the Raptors today along with Banton, Brooks, and Wilson. Looks like they got everything they wanted to see from him. I’d expect some news soon, Raptors need a backup PG and Jeff would be perfect for them.
4 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

3 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

ESPN+
Attachments
51653CB8-5010-417D-869E-182EA84A8619.png
5 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Thats great, but I feel like he should be on an nba roster all season. Most of his time is still in G league right?
6 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Better than nothing I suppose. He works so hard and all he does is produce. I hope he gets a chance to show what he really can do.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Thats great, but I feel like he should be on an nba roster all season. Most of his time is still in G league right?
They expanded two-way contracts either last year or the year before. Two-way players can be on the NBA roster and eligible to play in 50 of a team's 82 games.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Still kind of wish it was a regular contract, but I just hope he gets a legit shot to show what he can do either way.
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I’m not sure if he’ll ever get a legit shot. But the Raptors are young and needed a guard, so this will be his best chance to prove he can play in the NBA.

It’s tough for a point guard to get a contract and not have a three-point shot, and unfortunately, Jeff still doesn’t have that type of range. He’s also an older player.

All I know is I am now a Raptors fan.

Let's go Jeff!!!
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Is there any truth that the 2022 Two-way contracts are $502K now, half the NBA minimum salary?
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Yes, flat salary at $508,891.00.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

DanInAZ wrote: 1 year ago https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/07/202 ... ranchises.

Regarding two-way contracts.
Jeff is in good company alongside Ron Harper Jr on a two-way contract with Toronto.
Harper (SF) was Rutger's top player last season 16 pts/ 40% (3pt)/ 6 rebs.

Also, I see Vince Williams Jr signed a two-way contract with the Grizzlies.
He was the top player for VCU and 1st team All-A10 last season.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

From an article in the Athletic written by John Hollinger about summer league stand outs and duds. Jeff getting some love which is very cool. Toronto is a very well run organization think it will work out well for him.

Finally, the best part of any summer league is when players blast out from anonymity with eye-catching performances. A few undrafted and largely unknown players made themselves known these past two weeks. Regardless of whether it turns out to be 15 minutes of fame or the start of a 15-year career, we should acknowledge them. Keep an eye on these players in training camp and preseason:

Jeff Dowtin, Toronto: A 6-3 guard for Rhode Island who had cups of coffee with a few teams last season, Dowtin showed notable improvement. He went from a blah G-League player in 2020-21 to one of the G-League’s stars in 2021-22 and had a dominant four-game run for the Raptors in Vegas that should earn him a contract somewhere. Highlights included 17 assists against just two turnovers and 67.1 percent true shooting; the visual is that there is enough slippery quickness to offset the fact that he’s a bit caught between the two guard positions.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago From an article in the Athletic written by John Hollinger about summer league stand outs and duds. Jeff getting some love which is very cool. Toronto is a very well run organization think it will work out well for him.

Finally, the best part of any summer league is when players blast out from anonymity with eye-catching performances. A few undrafted and largely unknown players made themselves known these past two weeks. Regardless of whether it turns out to be 15 minutes of fame or the start of a 15-year career, we should acknowledge them. Keep an eye on these players in training camp and preseason:

Jeff Dowtin, Toronto: A 6-3 guard for Rhode Island who had cups of coffee with a few teams last season, Dowtin showed notable improvement. He went from a blah G-League player in 2020-21 to one of the G-League’s stars in 2021-22 and had a dominant four-game run for the Raptors in Vegas that should earn him a contract somewhere. Highlights included 17 assists against just two turnovers and 67.1 percent true shooting; the visual is that there is enough slippery quickness to offset the fact that he’s a bit caught between the two guard positions.
So happy for him. One of the absolute best kids - attitude, person, basketball floor general - to ever come through this program. Easiest kid to root for. Stuck it out through another coach - one who moved him out of his position, a position he'll be playing in the NBA, in favor of a kid who's playing in montenegro.

Great family. Great kid. Great Ram.

Now PLEASE Toronto. Bring back the '99 raptors jersey so I can buy a JD one.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago From an article in the Athletic written by John Hollinger about summer league stand outs and duds. Jeff getting some love which is very cool. Toronto is a very well run organization think it will work out well for him.

So happy for him. One of the absolute best kids - attitude, person, basketball floor general - to ever come through this program. Easiest kid to root for. Stuck it out through another coach - one who moved him out of his position, a position he'll be playing in the NBA, in favor of a kid who's playing in montenegro.

Great family. Great kid. Great Ram.

Now PLEASE Toronto. Bring back the '99 raptors jersey so I can buy a JD one.
One of my regrets is not getting a Prince themed Terrell jersey. I won't be making the same mistake if the Raptors bring back that jersey
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines