Jeff Dowtin NBA Player

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Jeff Dowtin NBA Player

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I know it is the slow part of the off-season, but I didn't see this anywhere besides one post in our "Where are they now..." sub.

JEFF DOWTIN IS A NBA PLAYER!

He was signed by the Orlando Magic, and training camp starts September 28. He will be wearing #11 (and I for one now have to go buy a Magic jersey).

https://www.nba.com/magic/orlando-magic ... e-20210908

Congratulations Jeff! I can think of no other player that deserves this as much as you do. Keep working hard and representing URI
10 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Jeff Dowtin NBA Player

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hopefully he survives the cuts and makes the full time NBA roster.

My guess is it'll be a 2 way deal or full G League.
0 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I really love when everything in life comes full circle. I had an Orlando Magic Starter Jacket in 5th grade. Wish I still had that badboy.
4 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I hope Jeff gets to log NBA minutes at PG this season and then Cox watches those minutes before sitting in the corner wearing his dunce cap thinking about how he pulled Jeff off the point for 2 seasons.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago I hope Jeff gets to log NBA minutes at PG this season and then Cox watches those minutes before sitting in the corner wearing his dunce cap thinking about how he pulled Jeff off the point for 2 seasons.
This is crazy talk. Should Jim Harrick wear a dunce cap for taking Cat off the point in favor of Tyson Wheeler? I have been of Jeff Dowtin fan since before he stepped on the court for URI and never waivered. Stop putting down our coach because he didn't want a ~5'10" off-guard.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago I hope Jeff gets to log NBA minutes at PG this season and then Cox watches those minutes before sitting in the corner wearing his dunce cap thinking about how he pulled Jeff off the point for 2 seasons.
This is crazy talk. Should Jim Harrick wear a dunce cap for taking Cat off the point in favor of Tyson Wheeler? I have been of Jeff Dowtin fan since before he stepped on the court for URI and never waivered. Stop putting down our coach because he didn't want a ~5'10" off-guard.
Was Cat a PG in high school? Draft Express says he was a SG at Cardinal Dougherty High.

Edit: As for 5'10" off guards, Celtics sure did well with Eddie House as a SG. Eddie is like 5'6" with platform shoes on.
Last edited by RhodyKyle 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Just don’t get this take at all - he developed a 3 star, not even top 150 player into a borderline NBA player. He would not be there if he was the pass-first PG he was his first two years. His offensive game improved dramatically in his last two years playing off the ball.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
Just don’t get this take at all - he developed a 3 star, not even top 150 player into a borderline NBA player. He would not be there if he was the pass-first PG he was his first two years. His offensive game improved dramatically in his last two years playing off the ball.
I don't think his off the ball skills are why Orlando signed him.

His eFG% his so, Jr, and sr years:
49.1, 53.2, 48.2

Not showing steady growth
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
Was Cat a PG in high school? Draft Express says he was a SG at Cardinal Dougherty High.

Edit: As for 5'10" off guards, Celtics sure did well with Eddie House as a SG. Eddie is like 5'6" with platform shoes on.
Cat may have been a forward in Junior High School but he was a PG at URI under Al Skinner after prepping after HS. Cat had a very good NBA career while Tyson had a cup=of=coffee in the NBA. What Cat played in HS is irrelevant.

My point was that Cox can hardly be called a dunce, as you said, for moving Jeff to SG with Fatts needing to start.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Cat may have been a forward in Junior High School but he was a PG at URI under Al Skinner after prepping after HS. Cat had a very good NBA career while Tyson had a cup=of=coffee in the NBA. What Cat played in HS is irrelevant.

My point was that Cox can hardly be called a dunce, as you said, for moving Jeff to SG with Fatts needing to start.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The real question is would the team have been better with Jeff at PG full time. IMO yes they would have; and Cox made a mistake with how he handled that situation. It's ancient history anyway. Let's see how we do this year.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

What are you even talking about 72. Tyson Wheeler was the PG for Rhody from the day he stepped on campus. Cat was an athletic 2G. All Harrick did was have more offense run through Cat and gave him the confidence to be more assertive. He was never a PG at Rhody or in high school. Stop the nonsense.
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Enough already with the Dowtin/Fatts PG debate.
None on this board attended all the practices with these 2 players nor understood the dynamics of the situation.
First of all Fatts was recruited to Rhody strictly as a PG, period. Do you really feel he would of been an effective SG at 5'10" shooting at maybe 35%FG and 28% 3pt, would he of even stayed in that role? Most of you would of criticized Cox for running him off.
After all he did average 4.5 assists his last 2 years, not completely horrible.
I also very much doubt the end results for us would of been much different if things were reversed, maybe worse.

Besides, most believe Maryland will be starting him at the PG position on a top 25 team.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Enough already with the Dowtin/Fatts PG debate.
None on this board attended all the practices with these 2 players nor understood the dynamics of the situation.
First of all Fatts was recruited to Rhody strictly as a PG, period. Do you really feel he would of been an effective SG at 5'10" shooting at maybe 35%FG and 28% 3pt, would he of even stayed in that role? Most of you would of criticized Cox for running him off.
I also very much doubt the end results for us would of been much different if things were reversed, maybe worse.

Besides, most believe Maryland will be starting him at the PG position on a top 25 team.
Let’s say Maryland had Jeff. He ends up being one of the most efficient point guards in the country and is a huge part of two of the most successful seasons in their program's history. Do you honestly think they would take Jeff off the role he’s been so successful in and give the ball to a streaky guard like Fatts Russell? Absolutely not. I’m all for defending Cox and giving him a chance this season but playing Jeff at the 2 was a huge mistake.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Let’s say Maryland had Jeff. He ends up being one of the most efficient point guards in the country and is a huge part of two of the most successful seasons in their program's history. Do you honestly think they would take Jeff off the role he’s been so successful in and give the ball to a streaky guard like Fatts Russell? Absolutely not. I’m all for defending Cox and giving him a chance this season but playing Jeff at the 2 was a huge mistake.
Stevey I disagree.
First of all what would you of done with Fatts, bench him? Would he of stayed?
I love Jeff but saying he was one of the best PG's in the country is a huge reach.
Second Jeff was effective because he had stars and shooters around him: EC, Jared, Stan, plus Kuran and Hassan his first year.
Nobody knows what Maryland or even DH would of done, so we can't speculate.
There were also times that both shared the duties of handling the ball.
There are things I did question, but this wasn't one of them.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Stevey I disagree.
I love Jeff but saying he was one of the best PG's in the country is a huge reach.
Second Jeff was effective because he had stars and shooters around him: EC, Jared, Stan.
I said Jeff was one of the most efficient point guards in the country. Plenty of point guards play with talented players and aren't top 3 in the country at assist to turnover ratio as a sophomore.

I'll have to go back and find some of my posts, but I've often gone into great detail on what I would have done with Fatts at the 2. Long story short, I thought Fatts was a better scorer than Jeff. I personally think you want your shooting guard to be the scoring guard and your point guard to run the offense. I felt Fatts shot the ball better, catching the ball with his feet planted than off the dribble. I also thought he could excel as a player that is constantly moving without the ball. It's hard to stick with a player as quick as Fatts. Designed plays with Fatts catching the ball from cutting or off a pick where you get a slower defender on him would have been scary with his ability to slash, finish, draw fouls, and pass it off.

I still would want the ball in Fatts hands a lot, but when you have a point guard like Jeff, he knows when it's time to run the offense and slow things down when Fatts is playing out of control. That's the difference between a good point guard and those rare special point guards like Jeff. Far too many times, Fatts forced it while Jeff stood there. Jeff never looked like the same player once Cox made that wrong decision. Luckily summer league teams saw what type of player Jeff is, and he now has a shot at playing in the NBA or having a great career overseas as a point guard.

Fatts would be the starting point guard on most teams. However, he shouldn't be with a team that has Jeff Dowtin.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Stevey I disagree.
Second Jeff was effective because he had stars and shooters around him: EC, Jared, Stan.
I said Jeff was one of the most efficient point guards in the country. Plenty of point guards play with talented players and aren't top 3 in the country at assist to turnover ratio as a sophomore.

I'll have to go back and find some of my posts, but I've often gone into great detail on what I would have done with Fatts at the 2. Long story short, I thought Fatts was a better scorer than Jeff. I personally think you want your shooting guard to be the scoring guard and your point guard to run the offense. I felt Fatts shot the ball better, catching the ball with his feet planted than off the dribble. I also thought he could excel as a player that is constantly moving without the ball. It's hard to stick with a player as quick as Fatts. Designed plays with Fatts catching the ball from cutting or off a pick where you get a slower defender on him would have been scary with his ability to slash, finish, draw fouls, and pass it off.

I still would want the ball in Fatts hands a lot, but when you have a point guard like Jeff, he knows when it's time to run the offense and slow things down when Fatts is playing out of control. That's the difference between a good point guard and those rare special point guards like Jeff. Far too many times, Fatts forced it while Jeff stood there. Jeff never looked like the same player once Cox made that wrong decision. Luckily summer league teams saw what type of player Jeff is, and he now has a shot at playing in the NBA or having a great career overseas as a point guard.

Fatts would be the starting point guard on most teams. However, he shouldn't be with a team that has Jeff Dowtin.
I guess we agree to disagree.
I do think Jeff is more suited as a PG rather than SG, especially at the next level.
But the problem is how do you use Fatts? I feel he would of been lost if taken off the ball.
It would of been a problem for him at SG/CG and a mismatch on both ends of the floor.
He was far from a consistent shooter and was best when beating his defender with the ball and trying to create.
Our biggest problem was we didn't have any reliable shooters, we missed too many open looks.
Fatts didn't have the options that Jeff previously did, as a matter of fact many times Jeff was his most reliable option.
I have to go along with Cox on making the decision he did, because he spent every day on the practice court with them.
I understand his dilemma and how he handled it does make sense to me.
There must of been something DH liked or a reason why he recruited Fatts extremely hard at the PG position.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Stevey I disagree.

I do think Jeff is more suited as a PG rather than SG, especially at the next level.
But the problem is how do you use Fatts? I feel he would of been lost if taken off the ball.
It would of been a problem for him at SG/CG and a mismatch on both ends of the floor.
He was far from a consistent shooter and was best when beating his defender with the ball and trying to create.
Our biggest problem was we didn't have any reliable shooters, we missed too many open looks.
Fatts didn't have the options that Jeff previously did, as a matter of fact many times Jeff was his most reliable option.
I have to go along with Cox on making the decision he did, because he spent every day on the practice court with them.
There must of been something DH liked or a reason why he recruited Fatts extremely hard at the PG position.
More suited? LOL. Jeff is a PG. Now in the NBA. Fatts is playing at Maryland. Nuff said.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

More suited? LOL. Jeff is a PG. Now in the NBA. Fatts is playing at Maryland. Nuff said.
Really, so what.
No one is debating Jeff's ability at the point.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Really, so what.
So let's bring it to your position you agree with Cox taking Dowtin off PG. Let's keep it there. You are in such a minority. Not many agree with you. In fact, I bet Jeff doesn't agree either.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Really, so what.
So let's bring it to your position you agree with Cox taking Dowtin off PG. Let's keep it there. You are in such a minority. Not many agree with you. In fact, I bet Jeff doesn't agree either.
I understand the decision Cox made and trust his judgement on this.
He spent everyday in the gym with them and like I said he had a better understanding of the dynamics of this situation than we did.
I also think Jeff was more capable of playing the CG/SG than Fatts and both at times would share the ball.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Really, so what.
He spent everyday in the gym with them and like I said he had a better understanding of the dynamics of this situation than we did.
I also think Jeff was more capable of playing the CG/SG than Fatts and both at times would share the ball.
It failed miserably. Worst decision ever. But Hey, let's see what this year brings.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

It failed miserably. Worst decision ever. But Hey, let's see what this year brings.
"
Worst decision ever, really don't be so dramatic.
Failed miserably, I doubt it affected our season results, we had other glaring issues.
There are many Div.1 teams (including P6) that would of loved having Fatts as their PG.
Both Dowtin and Fatts graduated and received their degrees here, give Cox some credit.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Nah. He hasn't done a damn thing as Head Coach.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You know the other thing that irritates me other than your incessant love of Cox? It's would've or would have. Would of is just bugging me.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago You know the other thing that irritates me other than your incessant love of Cox? It's would've or would have. Would of is just bugging me.
First of all, I never claimed to love Cox.
I said in many posts I reserve judgement at this time, I am critical of certain things and I keep a very open mind.
I just feel he hasn't been given a fair chance yet to prove himself as a head coach.

You know what irritates me about you is how you hijack every thread about your dislike for Cox as HC, WE GET IT ALREADY.

Fair enough about would've, my bad.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

You are right, There are many other good reasons!!!!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

There are five players on the court at a time; I don't think anyone would argue that Fatts and JD would be on the court together most of the game.

I really see no relevancy in calling one the PG and the other the SG. Effective coaches utilize their talents as effectively as possible. Of course, some times Fatts could be the PG and on other plays JD would be the so called PG. There is nothing in the rules that says the coach has to designate a 1 or a 2.

Having two PG on the floor at the same time, is usually a blessing, not a curse.

The bottom line is that Cox never found the best way to use them together- In the same sense, I am concerned that the Mitchell twins will not be as effective as they should be--- under the current regime.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

There are five players on the court at a time; I don't think anyone would argue that Fatts and JD would be on the court together most of the game.

I really see no relevancy in calling one the PG and the other the SG. Effective coaches utilize their talents as effectively as possible. Of course, some times Fatts could be the PG and on other plays JD would be the so called PG. There is nothing in the rules that says the coach has to designate a 1 or a 2.

Having two PG on the floor at the same time, is usually a blessing, not a curse.

The bottom line is that Cox never found the best way to use them together- In the same sense, I am concerned that the Mitchell twins will not be as effective as they should be--- under the current regime.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 2 years ago There are five players on the court at a time; I don't think anyone would argue that Fatts and JD would be on the court together most of the game.

I will agree with that if you have two guards like a Shep and EA. They will both handle the PG duties because neither are pure point guards...With Jeff and Fatts, I disagree. When you have a point guard that's the smartest player on the floor and runs the team better than anyone, you want him as your starting 1. The ball was in Fatts hands WAY too much under Cox. Hurley quickly realized that when we need someone to make the right play give the ball to Jeff. Cox decided to give the ball to Fatts. I think you are all forgetting how great Jeff was as the floor general and coach for our team.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

It’s over. Stop arguing about it. This page was supposed to give props to Jeff. Stop polluting it.
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I love that we barely have any discussions on here, but people tell us to stop...I'm not arguing with anyone and I will continue to speak with any fan that wants to have a friendly discussion about this program. Thats' what this place is for.. I've been following and supporting Jeff for years and will continue to.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago You know the other thing that irritates me other than your incessant love of Cox? It's would've or would have. Would of is just bugging me.
I said in many posts I reserve judgement at this time, I am critical of certain things and I keep a very open mind.
I just feel he hasn't been given a fair chance yet to prove himself as a head coach.

You know what irritates me about you is how you hijack every thread about your dislike for Cox as HC, WE GET IT ALREADY.

One, I don't dislike Cox. Thought he was a great hire. But he has fallen well short. I really don't think I hijack threads. Just saying my piece on a fan board. Sometimes I like to yell and scream. Thus, a fan board.
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago There are five players on the court at a time; I don't think anyone would argue that Fatts and JD would be on the court together most of the game.

I will agree with that if you have two guards like a Shep and EA. They will both handle the PG duties because neither are pure point guards...With Jeff and Fatts, I disagree. When you have a point guard that's the smartest player on the floor and runs the team better than anyone, you want him as your starting 1. The ball was in Fatts hands WAY too much under Cox. Hurley quickly realized that when we need someone to make the right play give the ball to Jeff. Cox decided to give the ball to Fatts. I think you are all forgetting how great Jeff was as the floor general and coach for our team.

I agree with everything you say. Coaching at this level really matters !
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

One, I don't dislike Cox. Thought he was a great hire. But he has fallen well short. I really don't think I hijack threads. Just saying my piece on a fan board. Sometimes I like to yell and scream. Thus, a fan board.
You didn’t do anything… We need more people like you and Jersey who are open to having a debate
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I just got back from the the Giant's game in the Meadowlands, so I guess I am use to disappointments.

I get it with you venting, like Blue Man who is an emotional roller coaster following our Rams.

Maybe as I got older, I developed more patience as a fan.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'll be rooting for Double Uno in the NBA!
2 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

Jeff just stuck a fall away jumper for the win against the Celtics !!!
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

DOWTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Keep this man in Orlando
2 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Way to go Jefe he definitely gonna make it or get a 2 way contract at worst !!
1 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

4 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

How many times did we see him make that move?????
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

He had his best game of the exhibition against the Celtics, playing 15 minutes, 10 pts (5-10)/ 2 rebs./ 2 assists.

"He signed an Exhibit 10 contract with the Magic and will likely re-join Lakeland in the coming days but will do so with plenty of fans inside and outside of the organization after Wednesday night."

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2021 ... r-celtics/
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Great to see him out there
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago He had his best game of the exhibition against the Celtics, playing 15 minutes, 10 pts (5-10)/ 2 rebs./ 2 assists.

"He signed an Exhibit 10 contract with the Magic and will likely re-join Lakeland in the coming days but will do so with plenty of fans inside and outside of the organization after Wednesday night."

And in typical Dowtin fashion great leadership with Zero Turnovers while playing PG
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago He had his best game of the exhibition against the Celtics, playing 15 minutes, 10 pts (5-10)/ 2 rebs./ 2 assists.

And in typical Dowtin fashion great leadership with Zero Turnovers while playing PG
Yes, Jeff is a very special young man and talent both on and off the court. I will always root for him.
He also has a wonderful and supportive family behind him.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Completely agree. He was my favorite player those last years following Hass' graduation.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Imagine having that guy on your team and saying - nah, let the 28% shooter have the ball and take the shot.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL