2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

They lost to Maine....ruined my parlay ugh

We can beat BC
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Ooph

Where have you gone BC basketball…
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Baron lost to Maine…..at home, the Maine Coach was a Woodward son? of a URI hoops book author connection? Do I have that right?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Baron lost to Maine…..at home, the Maine Coach was a Woodward son? of a URI hoops book author connection? Do I have that right?
Yes.
Ted Woodward was the Maine coach that notched his first ever D1 win as a head coach over URI at the RC. Now an Associate AD at UConn. son of William Woodward that wrote the book on Kearney. grandson of former URI President Carl Woodward.
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I was there. 🤮
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I digress, I was there also, and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Was the Melo,kid from Bristol on the URI team? I also remember a collection of Baron players that all had a similar game, cut and slash to the hoop, coupled with poor shouting and no continuity.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago I digress, I was there also, and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Was the Melo,kid from Bristol on the URI team? I also remember a collection of Baron players that all had a similar game, cut and slash to the hoop, coupled with poor shouting and no continuity.
Which Baron-led URI loss to Maine are you talking about? ;) I assume you mean the 04-05 season, which was probably one of the worst games of URI basketball to watch from the past 25 years. Final score was 47-44 Maine. Maine shot 28.3 percent, and URI shot 23.5 percent. Mello wasn't on the team, but Scott Hazelton, Randy Brooks and Parfait Bitee logged 30+ minutes for URI, and it was one of the rare games that the inappropriately named Jon Lucky played before getting hurt. URI finished 6-22.

A Baron-led URI team also lost to Maine in 2011, in Baron's final year. The team went 7-24, and Baron got fired. Mike Powell, Jamal Wilson, Nikola Malesevic, Orion Outerbridge and Jonathan Holton all logged 30+ minutes. Wilson and Malesevic combined to go about 11-for-47.

URI beat Maine 69-63 in 2002, which was probably the year you're thinking of. It was Baron's second year - that and his third year, the teams were "scrappy" and basically won a bunch of 50-50 rock fights against meh teams, but couldn't beat anyone good.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Didn’t Onyekaba have like a 20 10 game against Maine the first game in a season one year?
1 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I was there as well. It was in 2004 which ended up being a truly horrible season (6-22). Also had later losses at the Ryan Center to Boston University and Holy Cross.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Didn’t Onyekaba have like a 20 10 game against Maine the first game in a season one year?
Yup. We all thought we had a legit superstar. The first game of his college career. He shot like 90% from the field.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I noticed this on the A-10 site while looking ahead to the piggies.
It’s not even listed correctly on gorhody, so I don’t know when the changes were made…

Piggies are now on Tuesday the 7th, there are 3 of them.
They’re followed by 4 games on Wednesday featuring seeds 5 through 9.
The quarters are Thursday.
Friday is an off-day.
Semis Saturday and the championship is Sunday.

So if you’re planning on heading down to Brooklyn, plan on Tuesday.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rudder,
I read about this back before the season started.

They referenced Loyola joining the A10 resulting in more teams playing round 1

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/ ... utType=amp
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I don't see us winning on the road. Which of the remaining 6 home games will we be favored to win? The opponents are Dayton, GW, LaSalle, UMass, VCU and Davidson. I predict 1 more win. I feel as though I'm betting the field in a horse race.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

I don’t think the answer is at this point how many games will be won. But rather why are the front court players no getting it done. Martin has been a non entity the last few games. Much hesitation and fewer rebounds. The middle was picked apart by George Mason’s center. No question Ish and Freeman are playing well but they upfront help that they were getting early in previous games. With VCU & Dayton coming in now in my humble opinion I believe they will win. Reasoning that they were embarrassed in the middle and the film will highlight that. Coach will run different players in to shake up existing ones. And finally because the truth is that this is not a pathetic listless team. They are capable of winning. And win they shall.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Well, OK. Love the optimism here. The teaching moments via the film room will surely pay some dividends going forward. For me, the problem remains the physical presence of the current front court simply is not good enough to defend a high level skilled big man that operates at will. Archie in post talked resistance and attitude that was missing. The bench doesn’t seem to offer much help. Going into the games coming up, doesn’t look good. Dayton comes into town after loosing to GW. Winnable game? Doubt it. But hey, the blind squirrels will be on the hunt.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI's remaining schedule is

AWAY
@St Joe's
@ St Louis
@ GMU
@ Fordham
@ Loyola

I would think they get at least one of these games. URI is bound to play well once and catch an opponent off their game. The odds point to the last away game on March 1st versus Loyola being the best shot.

HOME
Dayton
LaSalle
VCU
UMass
GW
Davidson

Many here probably had their hopes falsely raised when this team won two games early on in conference play. They thought this along with the fact that the league is way down would translate to several more wins. This thinking however did not take into account just how bad this Rams team really is. URI has just lost three straight games with Dayton on tap. Would think expecting anything more than three additional wins is probably out of reach.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Maybe able to pick up a few wins (St.Joes,Loyola,Umass and Davidson)....The final game of the season "Senior Night" is an 8pm game. I believe that is a winnable game to end on a positive note.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah our record going to suck this year looks like we may not get to 12-18 , I will guess 10-20 ??
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

And I was worried I was being way too pessimistic with my 13-18 preseason prediction and my 8-10 conference prediction. I thought we'd start playing better in conference and steal a few wins, but instead we're kind of getting worse.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Losing Bilau will cost us several wins by the end of the year. His loss cannot be overstated.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KenPom has us favored vs La Salle, UMass, and George Washington, all at home. He gives us the best odds for a road win vs Loyola Chicago at 43% but favors them to win 68-66
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

It literally makes all the sense in the world. Easily one of the ten most compelling story lines in the league is Archie's return to Dayton, and our conference in all its infinite wisdom decided to wait a year and a half at least to have that game, giving the story line plenty of time to cool off
The story line cooled for 5 years, it’s not like Archie switched conference foes in back to back years, or he was offered a Dayton job and turned it down for URI.

Like with ProJo coverage or anything else - we did it to ourselves. So win the games against an easier schedule, make noise in Brooklyn, and prove your team is on the rise instead of just pointing to your roster on paper.

UMass is in the same boat as us. Trash team that has a brand new roster and high profile coach. Still have a dog schedule.

This is not an NCAA or bust year. This is a fine schedule for us. Plus we get to go to Chicago and yell at Sister Jean.
Come on, let's get serious, the story line is literally only months old and in a conference devoid of story lines we should be maximizing the ones we have. I know I'm in the vast minority, but this story line is still big. A Dayton beat writer pointed out the glaring omission and it's talk on the Dayton message board as well. Considering no one has any idea how Loyola will adapt to the new conference, URI and Dayton already had a solid rivalry, and now Archie Miller back in conference, we absolutely should have been one of Dayton's pairings instead of Loyola.

Put it this way. If Dan Hurley is fired by UConn after this season for not being Jim Calhoun and comes back to coach in the A10 in the 24-25 season, you would be the first one Blue Man to act like Tony Montana snorting the whole mountain of coke at the end of Scarface waiting to find out when he'd be coming back. And if they didn't have him coming back to the Ryan Center the first year you would throw an absolute nutty.

And again, last time we were expected to be really good, we had mid pack La Salle as one of our home and homes. Maybe the conference has gotten smarter about their pairings, but something tells me the next time we're good again they'll find a way to pork us on our schedule, so I don't give them an ounce of the benefit of the doubt
I got hammered on here for the opinion in the offseason that the conference and ESPN screwed up by having Dayton play Loyola twice. Low and behold, I was absolutely right. Yeah we're bad, but Loyola is worse and there's no juice in tonight's game at all. Think they'd rather have tonight's game or Archie's return to Dayton Arena?
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The story line cooled for 5 years, it’s not like Archie switched conference foes in back to back years, or he was offered a Dayton job and turned it down for URI.

Like with ProJo coverage or anything else - we did it to ourselves. So win the games against an easier schedule, make noise in Brooklyn, and prove your team is on the rise instead of just pointing to your roster on paper.

UMass is in the same boat as us. Trash team that has a brand new roster and high profile coach. Still have a dog schedule.

This is not an NCAA or bust year. This is a fine schedule for us. Plus we get to go to Chicago and yell at Sister Jean.
Come on, let's get serious, the story line is literally only months old and in a conference devoid of story lines we should be maximizing the ones we have. I know I'm in the vast minority, but this story line is still big. A Dayton beat writer pointed out the glaring omission and it's talk on the Dayton message board as well. Considering no one has any idea how Loyola will adapt to the new conference, URI and Dayton already had a solid rivalry, and now Archie Miller back in conference, we absolutely should have been one of Dayton's pairings instead of Loyola.

Put it this way. If Dan Hurley is fired by UConn after this season for not being Jim Calhoun and comes back to coach in the A10 in the 24-25 season, you would be the first one Blue Man to act like Tony Montana snorting the whole mountain of coke at the end of Scarface waiting to find out when he'd be coming back. And if they didn't have him coming back to the Ryan Center the first year you would throw an absolute nutty.

And again, last time we were expected to be really good, we had mid pack La Salle as one of our home and homes. Maybe the conference has gotten smarter about their pairings, but something tells me the next time we're good again they'll find a way to pork us on our schedule, so I don't give them an ounce of the benefit of the doubt
I got hammered on here for the opinion in the offseason that the conference and ESPN screwed up by having Dayton play Loyola twice. Low and behold, I was absolutely right. Yeah we're bad, but Loyola is worse and there's no juice in tonight's game at all. Think they'd rather have tonight's game or Archie's return to Dayton Arena?
Your point is most definitely valid - and fan-wise I agree. Also the point about me as Tony Montana is spot on.

That said, I'm sure travel costs matter and part of the reason they brought in Loyola was to have a closer geographical partner for Dayton/St Louis.

But the more I think about the A10 and their treatment of us over the years, the more I'm jumping on your side.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Your point is most definitely valid - and fan-wise I agree. Also the point about me as Tony Montana is spot on.

That said, I'm sure travel costs matter and part of the reason they brought in Loyola was to have a closer geographical partner for Dayton/St Louis.

But the more I think about the A10 and their treatment of us over the years, the more I'm jumping on your side.
Honestly this exchange was really just the easiest jumping off point for the start of my victory lap, I didn't think too much of what you said here, but there were people that really did hammer me
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I can't really say the treatment for us by the A10 has been unfair.

As for the scheduling , yeah it would have been interesting to have URI/Dayton play there.
But we did finish 11th and they decided not to match us up against the top rated team twice.
Also Loyola was initially picked to finish 4th, obviously didn't work out that way.
In addition the geographic proximity of Dayton and Chicago does make sense.

So really who cares at this point, Dayton draws well regardless.
After this passage of time does anyone outside of these 2 schools actually care?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good call guys you were spot on about Loyola , I had them in the 4-6 range and I couldn’t have been more wrong !!
0 x