2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Home
Monday 11/7 Quinnipiac
Saturday 11/12 Texas State
Tuesday 11/15 Stony Brook
Saturday 12/3 Providence
Wednesday 12/7 Brown
Saturday 12/10 Army
Tuesday 12/13 UMass Lowell
Thursday 12/22 Milwaukee
Davidson
Dayton
George Washington
St. Bonaventure
VCU
Fordham
George Mason
La Salle
Massachusetts

Away
Sunday 11/27 Boston College
Sunday 12/18 Georgia State
Duquesne
Loyola
Richmond
St. Joe's
St. Louis
Fordham
George Mason
La Salle
Massachusetts

Neutral
Monday 11/21 Kansas State 7:30 pm
Tuesday 11/22 Nevada or Tulane 5 or 7:30 pm
Wednesday 11/23 Akron, Illinois State, LSU or Western Kentucky

Atlantic 10 tournament at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY

11/7 vs Quinnipiac Monday
11/12 vs Texas State Saturday
11/15 vs Stony Brook Tuesday
11/21 Kansas State Monday 7:30 pm
11/22 Nevada or Tulane Tuesday 5 or 7:30 pm
11/23 Akron, Illinois State, LSU or Western Kentucky Wednesday
11/27 at Boston College Sunday
12/3 vs. Providence Saturday
12/7 vs. Brown Wednesday
12/10 vs. Army Saturday
12/13 vs. UMass Lowell
12/18 at Georgia State Sunday
12/22 vs. Milwaukee Thursday
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 1 year ago, edited 15 times in total.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Re: 2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by CamsRams »

What’s the story with the MW-A10 challenge for 22-23?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago What’s the story with the MW-A10 challenge for 22-23?
I think the MWC is taking its cues from member Nevada in not fully honoring future schedule commitments.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
This sounds good hopefully we will have a new coach and competitive team
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

URI vs Xavier

Brother against Brother home and home A10 vs BE.
Lets get it on the schedule!!!!!!!!!
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rjv wrote: 2 years ago URI vs Xavier

Brother against Brother home and home A10 vs BE.
Lets get it on the schedule!!!!!!!!!
Might get National TV coverage.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
At least half the teams in this tourney (LSU, Kansas State, Illinois State, Rhody) will have a new coach next season.
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Stevie made a post in another thread that got me wondering... can someone more knowledgable than me explain how the current A10 "pods" work? I always thought the setup we have now was basically designed to maximize for the best (or at least "better") teams to maximize good NET/RPI w/e , but thinking about it we do seem to play Fordham a lot and that can't be great for the conference rankings.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago Stevie made a post in another thread that got me wondering... can someone more knowledgable than me explain how the current A10 "pods" work? I always thought the setup we have now was basically designed to maximize for the best (or at least "better") teams to maximize good NET/RPI w/e , but thinking about it we do seem to play Fordham a lot and that can't be great for the conference rankings.
In the current setup, each team plays every team at least once and it’s been at least five years since Rhody has played Fordham twice.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago Stevie made a post in another thread that got me wondering... can someone more knowledgable than me explain how the current A10 "pods" work? I always thought the setup we have now was basically designed to maximize for the best (or at least "better") teams to maximize good NET/RPI w/e , but thinking about it we do seem to play Fordham a lot and that can't be great for the conference rankings.
I believe that there are several factors in determining pods. Playing longtime rivals, nearby schools to lessen travel, and having the best teams meet up are some of them. UMass is always every year on the URI schedule H&H as a longtime rival. Fordham often gets a H&H for less travel, and playing schools such as Dayton and VCU in H&H's occurred when URI was good as well.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Stone Freeman asked Archie Miller about his scheduling philosophy in his lengthy interview after his hiring. Archie indicated that neutral site exempt games were important for a school such as URI. I got the impression that he was not necessarily only referring to multi game tournaments of which URI already annually participates in. There has been a recent trend of one game events (typically part of a one day double or triple header). I can't recall Dan Hurley getting Rhody in any such games. URI was scheduled to play in such an event in DC versus Charleston last year but the game got cancelled due to Covid in the Rams program at that time. The David Cox ties to the DMV may have been critical in getting into it but Charleston was not exactly a big name. I would think that Cox as a first time head coach with no real success did not have a lot of pull and necessary status to get into the more premier events. The NYC metro area hosts many of these types of games. Archie would have more pull and contacts than Cox and I am hopeful that he can get URI into these events against high profile teams which would never agree to Home & Home series with Rhody. Cooley and PC now regularly play in such games most years.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Stone Freeman asked Archie Miller about his scheduling philosophy in his lengthy interview after his hiring. Archie indicated that neutral site exempt games were important for a school such as URI. I got the impression that he was not necessarily only referring to multi game tournaments of which URI already annually participates in. There has been a recent trend of one game events (typically part of a one day double or triple header). I can't recall Dan Hurley getting Rhody in any such games. URI was scheduled to play in such an event in DC versus Charleston last year but the game got cancelled due to Covid in the Rams program at that time. The David Cox ties to the DMV may have been critical in getting into it but Charleston was not exactly a big name. I would think that Cox as a first time head coach with no real success did not have a lot of pull and necessary status to get into the more premier events. The NYC metro area hosts many of these types of games. Archie would have more pull and contacts than Cox and I am hopeful that he can get URI into these events against high profile teams which would never agree to Home & Home series with Rhody. Cooley and PC now regularly play in such games most years.
I think but not positive that the uri vs west Va gm at Mohegan was. I think Dayton played someone in the other game.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Stone Freeman asked Archie Miller about his scheduling philosophy in his lengthy interview after his hiring. Archie indicated that neutral site exempt games were important for a school such as URI. I got the impression that he was not necessarily only referring to multi game tournaments of which URI already annually participates in. There has been a recent trend of one game events (typically part of a one day double or triple header). I can't recall Dan Hurley getting Rhody in any such games. URI was scheduled to play in such an event in DC versus Charleston last year but the game got cancelled due to Covid in the Rams program at that time. The David Cox ties to the DMV may have been critical in getting into it but Charleston was not exactly a big name. I would think that Cox as a first time head coach with no real success did not have a lot of pull and necessary status to get into the more premier events. The NYC metro area hosts many of these types of games. Archie would have more pull and contacts than Cox and I am hopeful that he can get URI into these events against high profile teams which would never agree to Home & Home series with Rhody. Cooley and PC now regularly play in such games most years.
I think but not positive that the uri vs west Va gm at Mohegan was. I think Dayton played someone in the other game.

URI had to return that game with a trip to Morgantown the next season. The Mohegan Sun meeting was the neutral site equivalent of a URI home game in a home and home series.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Chickenshit Ed's Cooley has started thinking up excuses to duck this year's trip to the Ryan Center.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago

URI had to return that game with a trip to Morgantown the next season. The Mohegan Sun meeting was the neutral site equivalent of a URI home game in a home and home series.
Just looked it up. While it may have also been then “home” end of a home and home it was part of the 2018 Hall of Fame Holiday Showcase triple header. Dayton played Tulsa and Quinnipiac played Drexel.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... header.pdf
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Just looked it up. While it may have also been then “home” end of a home and home it was part of the 2018 Hall of Fame Holiday Showcase triple header. Dayton played Tulsa and Quinnipiac played Drexel.

And I believe that URI was the only team of the six participants that had to "return" a game on the home court of their opponent.

I want URI in future one off neutral site games where it does not have to return away games.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Just looked it up. While it may have also been then “home” end of a home and home it was part of the 2018 Hall of Fame Holiday Showcase triple header. Dayton played Tulsa and Quinnipiac played Drexel.

And I believe that URI was the only team of the six participants that had to "return" a game on the home court of their opponent.

I want URI in future one off neutral site games where it does not have to return away games.
I understand the sentiment but it was great for the schedule to beat West Va that year.

Plus right now- anyone- any time- anyplace.

I’m sure none of you would turn down an arrangement like like for North Carolina or Ky.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Chickenshit Ed's Cooley has started thinking up excuses to duck this year's trip to the Ryan Center.
I mean for a people who constantly bash “the mental hospital” and talk about how we have “real estate” in their head because their fans constantly talk about us…it’s getting hard to tell the difference sometimes.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just got this e-mail about renewing. Looks the plan is to have more home games than before.

Thank you for your support of the Rhode Island Men’s Basketball program. We appreciate your willingness to stay with us and are excited for the start of the Archie Miller Era and share with you our renewed investment in the men's basketball program.
At this time, we’d like to inform you that season ticket renewals are now available for the RAMS’ 2022-23 season.
As promised, we saved your seats, as you review your invoice you may notice some price changes in various categories. These changes are necessary to support the major financial investment we have just made in the program, as well as the commitment to add more games to our home schedule. In most cases, the per-game cost has NOT increased more than $1 per game and in some cases not at all.

As you renew your season tickets, you can pay in full or select one (1) of four (4) payment plan options that fit your needs. Each plan is interest-free, and you can renew with as little as 15% down.
The deadline to renew your tickets is May 1, 2022, in order to lock into your same seats and be guaranteed a special season ticket renewal gift.
Questions, please call the Ticket Office at 401-874-RAMS (7267), text “Rhody” to 401—874-7267, or email tickets@theryancenter.com.
Thank you and we can’t wait to see you at the Ryan Center next season.
Thorr Bjorn

Director of Athletics

SAVE THE DATE - WEDNESDAY, MAY 4TH - 5:30PM TO 7:30PM

RESCHEDULED SEASON TICKET HOLDER APPRECIATION EVENT

More information coming to your email mailbox soon!!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

How many A-10 games will we have next season? Will they bump it up with the additional conference member or leave it the same?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

More home games would seem to indicate there will likely be more buy games. URI had just two buy games (BU and Sacred Heart) on its original schedule this past season. The Rams along with LaSalle and GW typically have played the fewest buy games in the A-10 in recent years. Far less than what Archie was accustomed to at Dayton (had 6-7 this past season). Many higher profile teams build up a high number of wins doing this.

With the cost of buy games and all the other increased investments, I can't see URI going to the number of buy games that the Flyers schedule. UD is more able to do that as they always have 13,000 in the stands for whoever they play at home. Would think URI might however play another 1-2 buy games with a possible max of 4 for the immediate future. This would be a return to the earlier days of the Ryan center when Rhody had more home buy games. I think it gradually changed as the buy cost increased.

The result of adding more home buy games would be seeing less risky away games at foes like Milwaukee, Georgia State, FGCU, Charleston, and MTSU that were part of recent even home and home series. The opponents for additional buy games would not be big names and not improve SOS. They however would likely net more wins and reduce the risk of bad road losses. If URI were to greatly increase season tickets and get big crowds for these games, it could also help increase revenues.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago How many A-10 games will we have next season? Will they bump it up with the additional conference member or leave it the same?
I have not seen anything official but many A-10 fans are speculating a continued 18 game schedule. The difference would now be just four H&H partners (had been 5). 8 games with H&H partners and 10 games versus the rest of the league with 5 at home and 5 away.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago How many A-10 games will we have next season? Will they bump it up with the additional conference member or leave it the same?
I have not seen anything official but many A-10 fans are speculating a continued 18 game schedule. The difference would now be just four H&H partners (had been 5). 8 games with H&H partners and 10 games versus the rest of the league with 5 at home and 4 away.
I hope they bump it to twenty games in the near future. Multiple conference schools are investing more in their programs. With only 9 conference home games and an additional school we will not be seeing 5 teams in the Ryan Center each season instead of 4. We are going to miss some good teams. I'd have liked to see VCU and the Bonnies this past season. Dayton should be quite good next year it would be a shame if they are not on our home schedule.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
I have not seen anything official but many A-10 fans are speculating a continued 18 game schedule. The difference would now be just four H&H partners (had been 5). 8 games with H&H partners and 10 games versus the rest of the league with 5 at home and 4 away.
I hope they bump it to twenty games in the near future. Multiple conference schools are investing more in their programs. With only 9 conference home games and an additional school we will not be seeing 5 teams in the Ryan Center each season instead of 4. We are going to miss some good teams. I'd have liked to see VCU and the Bonnies this past season. Dayton should be quite good next year it would be a shame if they are not on our home schedule.
I would be shocked if Dayton isn't a home and home partner just for our TV partners and the story line of Archie coaching against his old school. Dayton at Ryan Center for the first game and us out to Dayton for the second game to get maximum juice
2 x
DowtinDimes
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by DowtinDimes »

I know that it's been discussed at times in the past, but what are everyone's thoughts on breaking the league into groups for the last part of the regular season to ensure that the best teams play one another more? With 15 teams, you could play a single round-robin (14 games), then break the league into three groups of 5 and have a mini-round robin (4 games) to determine A-10 tournament seeding. Scheduling issues may be a roadblock, but this format (which I know at least one conference has tried, but I'm not an expert) could increase the number of meaningful conference games late in the year and the chances that at-large hopefuls get potential resume-boosting matchups.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

DowtinDimes wrote: 2 years ago I know that it's been discussed at times in the past, but what are everyone's thoughts on breaking the league into groups for the last part of the regular season to ensure that the best teams play one another more? With 15 teams, you could play a single round-robin (14 games), then break the league into three groups of 5 and have a mini-round robin (4 games) to determine A-10 tournament seeding. Scheduling issues may be a roadblock, but this format (which I know at least one conference has tried, but I'm not an expert) could increase the number of meaningful conference games late in the year and the chances that at-large hopefuls get potential resume-boosting matchups.
If they could somehow ensure the good teams are playing the good teams at the end then that would be great.

I feel like it would be hard to figure that with ESPN maybe, because we have those Friday night games with them.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

DowtinDimes wrote: 2 years ago I know that it's been discussed at times in the past, but what are everyone's thoughts on breaking the league into groups for the last part of the regular season to ensure that the best teams play one another more? With 15 teams, you could play a single round-robin (14 games), then break the league into three groups of 5 and have a mini-round robin (4 games) to determine A-10 tournament seeding. Scheduling issues may be a roadblock, but this format (which I know at least one conference has tried, but I'm not an expert) could increase the number of meaningful conference games late in the year and the chances that at-large hopefuls get potential resume-boosting matchups.
I would be in favor. We need to limit the exposure the top teams have to the bottom teams, the top teams need everything possible to have the maximum chance of building a tournament resume. That said, I'd be interested to hear what if any issues the conferences that tried it are facing
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago More home games would seem to indicate there will likely be more buy games. URI had just two buy games (BU and Sacred Heart) on its original schedule this past season. The Rams along with LaSalle and GW typically have played the fewest buy games in the A-10 in recent years. Far less than what Archie was accustomed to at Dayton (had 6-7 this past season). Many higher profile teams build up a high number of wins doing this.

With the cost of buy games and all the other increased investments, I can't see URI going to the number of buy games that the Flyers schedule. UD is more able to do that as they always have 13,000 in the stands for whoever they play at home. Would think URI might however play another 1-2 buy games with a possible max of 4 for the immediate future. This would be a return to the earlier days of the Ryan center when Rhody had more home buy games. I think it gradually changed as the buy cost increased.

The result of adding more home buy games would be seeing less risky away games at foes like Milwaukee, Georgia State, FGCU, Charleston, and MTSU that were part of recent even home and home series. The opponents for additional buy games would not be big names and not improve SOS. They however would likely net more wins and reduce the risk of bad road losses. If URI were to greatly increase season tickets and get big crowds for these games, it could also help increase revenues.
As a season ticket holder I'm not really looking for more games. I'm looking for better opponents. I'd love it if they scheduled home and homes series against the best out of conference schools they can find. I do not mind if they can buy a decent opponent but some of these games have not been that interesting to watch.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
If they could somehow ensure the good teams are playing the good teams at the end then that would be great.

I feel like it would be hard to figure that with ESPN maybe, because we have those Friday night games with them.
I think ESPN would be in favor. It seems like this is a way to guarantee they get a game between two top teams
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Just got this e-mail about renewing. Looks the plan is to have more home games than before.

Thank you for your support of the Rhode Island Men’s Basketball program. We appreciate your willingness to stay with us and are excited for the start of the Archie Miller Era and share with you our renewed investment in the men's basketball program.
At this time, we’d like to inform you that season ticket renewals are now available for the RAMS’ 2022-23 season.
As promised, we saved your seats, as you review your invoice you may notice some price changes in various categories. These changes are necessary to support the major financial investment we have just made in the program, as well as the commitment to add more games to our home schedule. In most cases, the per-game cost has NOT increased more than $1 per game and in some cases not at all.

As you renew your season tickets, you can pay in full or select one (1) of four (4) payment plan options that fit your needs. Each plan is interest-free, and you can renew with as little as 15% down.
The deadline to renew your tickets is May 1, 2022, in order to lock into your same seats and be guaranteed a special season ticket renewal gift.
Questions, please call the Ticket Office at 401-874-RAMS (7267), text “Rhody” to 401—874-7267, or email tickets@theryancenter.com.
Thank you and we can’t wait to see you at the Ryan Center next season.
Thorr Bjorn

Director of Athletics

SAVE THE DATE - WEDNESDAY, MAY 4TH - 5:30PM TO 7:30PM

RESCHEDULED SEASON TICKET HOLDER APPRECIATION EVENT

More information coming to your email mailbox soon!!!
Rolled tix over the last two years, so I'm wondering what kind of adjustment we'll see.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

How many home games were there this past season? How many more could they realistically have?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI originally scheduled 15 home, 3 neutral site, and 13 true road games this past season. The OOC portion had six home games, 3 neutral site (2 games in Daytona Beach and one game in DC (vs Charleston) and 4 true road games. This made for the majority of OOC games away from the Ryan Center which is unheard of for high profile teams including nearly all of the A-10. Two of the OOC home games were buy games (BU & Sacred Heart), one was part of a tournament (Bryant), and three were part of home and home series (BC, Brown, and Georgia State). The Brown home game got cancelled and replaced with buying AIC. The game in DC against Charleston was cancelled and not replaced. Furthermore, the A-10 league game at GMU was also cancelled and not made up.

Fellow A-10 member Dayton had 17 home games, three neutral site games, and 11 true road games. The OOC portion had 8 home games, 3 neutral site games, and two road games. All but one (Va Tech) of its 8 home OOC games were buy games. The neutral site games were in the Orlando Disney tournament. The two road games were part of H&H series with SMU and Mississippi.

While Dayton had just two more home games, it is worth looking deeper. It had five more OOC buy games at home than Rhody that never have to be returned. Its only two road OOC games were against high level opponents from the SEC and AAC. It was far different from URI which played four true road contests, three of which were Milwaukee, Harvard, and FGCU (the other being PC).

I would think URI would likely add one more home OOC game and play less true road OOC games. I would guess Archie would try to limit true road games to just 2 or 3 max each season. Given URI always plays a rotating series with PC and Brown, that would mean only 1-2 other teams would be played on the road. These games would likely be against higher quality opponents than recent years for URI. My guess is that Archie will also try to get URI into one off neutral site games against high level teams with no return games required (which he alluded to in Stone Freeman interview).
2 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 years ago
Would think this would be one of approximately three buy games.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

November 7th can’t get here soon enough !!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I still remember losing to them in Barons second to last season.

Time for revenge!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
I still remember losing to them in Barons second to last season.

Time for revenge!
Damn that was Embaronsing !!
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

I understand the sentiment but it was great for the schedule to beat West Va that year.

I’m sure none of you would turn down an arrangement like like for North Carolina or Ky.
I agree 100%...scheduling is getting to the point now IMO where you should take any good game that you can get. Don't worry about not getting a home game out of it IMO. If you have to take a one way away game with no return game at home, then do it.

In that scenario though, make sure that you have a decent chance to get the win, in other words, don't take a one way game at Kentucky IMO. But, do take a one way road game at Wake Forest for example.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago URI originally scheduled 15 home, 3 neutral site, and 13 true road games this past season. The OOC portion had six home games, 3 neutral site (2 games in Daytona Beach and one game in DC (vs Charleston) and 4 true road games. This made for the majority of OOC games away from the Ryan Center which is unheard of for high profile teams including nearly all of the A-10. Two of the OOC home games were buy games (BU & Sacred Heart), one was part of a tournament (Bryant), and three were part of home and home series (BC, Brown, and Georgia State). The Brown home game got cancelled and replaced with buying AIC. The game in DC against Charleston was cancelled and not replaced. Furthermore, the A-10 league game at GMU was also cancelled and not made up.

Fellow A-10 member Dayton had 17 home games, three neutral site games, and 11 true road games. The OOC portion had 8 home games, 3 neutral site games, and two road games. All but one (Va Tech) of its 8 home OOC games were buy games. The neutral site games were in the Orlando Disney tournament. The two road games were part of H&H series with SMU and Mississippi.

While Dayton had just two more home games, it is worth looking deeper. It had five more OOC buy games at home than Rhody that never have to be returned. Its only two road OOC games were against high level opponents from the SEC and AAC. It was far different from URI which played four true road contests, three of which were Milwaukee, Harvard, and FGCU (the other being PC).

I would think URI would likely add one more home OOC game and play less true road OOC games. I would guess Archie would try to limit true road games to just 2 or 3 max each season. Given URI always plays a rotating series with PC and Brown, that would mean only 1-2 other teams would be played on the road. These games would likely be against higher quality opponents than recent years for URI. My guess is that Archie will also try to get URI into one off neutral site games against high level teams with no return games required (which he alluded to in Stone Freeman interview).
I totally disagree with this.

IMO, Dayton's scheduling approach totally sucks, there is way too much emphasis on having home buy games.

Xavier, Butler, VCU, Gonzaga, etc. used to all schedule at least 15 or 16 road or neutral games. If there were 13 ooc games, then at least 6 of them would be road or neutral. Dayton has never done that ever. Scheduling is much harder now IMO with the p5 going to 20 game league schedules.

Again, IMO, take whatever winnable game you can get: anybody, anytime, anywhere and don't worry about getting a home return game out of it.

Home buy games suck, they are worthless as far as your ncaat resume is concerned, the fans don't even like watching them either, they are just a way for the school to make $ off of home game attendance.

All UD really cares about is $. They don't give a rat's ass about what is best for the men's basketball team and building a ncaat resume. The men's basketball team subsidizes the other sports teams and the overall university budget with all the damn dumbass home buy games.

I fucking hate all the home buy games. I can't fucking stand them!!!
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago URI originally scheduled 15 home, 3 neutral site, and 13 true road games this past season. The OOC portion had six home games, 3 neutral site (2 games in Daytona Beach and one game in DC (vs Charleston) and 4 true road games. This made for the majority of OOC games away from the Ryan Center which is unheard of for high profile teams including nearly all of the A-10. Two of the OOC home games were buy games (BU & Sacred Heart), one was part of a tournament (Bryant), and three were part of home and home series (BC, Brown, and Georgia State). The Brown home game got cancelled and replaced with buying AIC. The game in DC against Charleston was cancelled and not replaced. Furthermore, the A-10 league game at GMU was also cancelled and not made up.

I totally disagree with this.

IMO, Dayton's scheduling approach totally sucks, there is way too much emphasis on having home buy games.

Xavier, Butler, VCU, Gonzaga, etc. used to all schedule at least 15 or 16 road or neutral games. If there were 13 ooc games, then at least 6 of them would be road or neutral. Dayton has never done that ever. Scheduling is much harder now IMO with the p5 going to 20 game league schedules.

Again, IMO, take whatever winnable game you can get: anybody, anytime, anywhere and don't worry about getting a home return game out of it.

Home buy games suck, they are worthless as far as your ncaat resume is concerned, the fans don't even like watching them either, they are just a way for the school to make $ off of home game attendance.

All UD really cares about is $. They don't give a rat's ass about what is best for the men's basketball team and building a ncaat resume. The men's basketball team subsidizes the other sports teams and the overall university budget with all the damn dumbass home buy games.

I fucking hate all the home buy games. I can't fucking stand them!!!
Have you been to Rage-aholics? Chill out.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Don't worry. URI will never approach the Dayton formula of playing seven home buy games in a season or even the nearby PC model with six home buy games. It however will likely play more than the present two of the last few seasons. This will probably only translate into an additional one to two home buy games with four being the max in a season.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I agree 100%...scheduling is getting to the point now IMO where you should take any good game that you can get. Don't worry about not getting a home game out of it IMO. If you have to take a one way away game with no return game at home, then do it.

In that scenario though, make sure that you have a decent chance to get the win, in other words, don't take a one way game at Kentucky IMO. But, do take a one way road game at Wake Forest for example.
We didn't build a 7600 seat arena to get bought out by shitty ass Wake Forest and only get home out of conference games against Quinnipiac
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
I don't have rage, this is iinm the one and only time I have ever cursed on this board.

This is my #1 complaint with UD, this screwed up scheduling approach has been used by them for decades.

You don't build a program and get ahead by wasting your ooc games by scheduling shitty buy games that nobody cares about and that you get zero credit from the selection committee for winning.

The first 1 or 2 games of the year being against cupcakes used as a warm up I can understand, but there shouldn't be too many more than that.

Xavier and Butler for years scheduled up and got ahead and eventually got the BE invites while Dayton stood there with their thumb up their ass counting their extra $ from the extra buy games and got passed over.

Scheduling up leads to a better ncaat seed and more ncaat wins and a better program.
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

You would think that Dayton after years and years of watching Xavier and Butler schedule up and succeed and pass them by would have noticed what was happening and copied what they were doing as far as scheduling is concerned, but you would be wrong. For forever and ever, UD has always played a minimum of 16 home games, probably around at least 5 of which were home ooc buy games.
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years agoWe didn't build a 7600 seat arena to get bought out by shitty ass Wake Forest and only get home out of conference games against Quinnipiac
I totally disagree, the only reason you build a bigger arena is to accommodate more fans, you don't build a bigger arena and then use that bigger arena as an excuse to schedule more crappy buy games that nobody cares about watching.

I am only talking about 1 or 2 fewer home games per year, that is not going to bankrupt anybody. Play more games on the road or at a neutral site against better competition and try to get ahead. This is the only way to get ahead in 2022 and beyond. The days of getting many quality ooc opponents to come to your building are long gone.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

And one more thing, even to this day with Xavier having been in the BE for several years now, Xavier is STILL sometimes playing more road and neutral ooc games than Dayton. It's unbelievable. Xavier is dead serious about playing as tough of an occ schedule as they can, Dayton just isn't serious about maximizing the toughness of their ooc schedule, they only really care about their stupid home buy ooc games and counting their $.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

DFF, how much coffee did you drink this morning? :D

Coffee always gets me wound up. Makes me ask a lot of questions, if you haven’t noticed.

Seriously though. I always appreciate you joining the fray here. Good stuff.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
I don't have rage, this is iinm the one and only time I have ever cursed on this board.

This is my #1 complaint with UD, this screwed up scheduling approach has been used by them for decades.

You don't build a program and get ahead by wasting your ooc games by scheduling shitty buy games that nobody cares about and that you get zero credit from the selection committee for winning.

The first 1 or 2 games of the year being against cupcakes used as a warm up I can understand, but there shouldn't be too many more than that.

Xavier and Butler for years scheduled up and got ahead and eventually got the BE invites while Dayton stood there with their thumb up their ass counting their extra $ from the extra buy games and got passed over.

Scheduling up leads to a better ncaat seed and more ncaat wins and a better program.
So if I understand you, Dayton's scheduling bothers you? It's been a hinderance on the program? Held them back? This is a program that goes to the NCAA, or worst NIT, on a pretty much regular basis? Despite having coaches go in and out of the program? Same Dayton program that would've been a #1 seed a few year ago had it not been for Covid cancellation?

Yeah, I can see why you're so mad. That must be awful to deal with. My deepest sympathies to you. (By the way, didn't Xavier and Butler just fire their coaches? Maybe Anthony Grant knows something that Travis Steele and Lavall Jordan didn't.)

Talk about 1st world problems...geez.
2 x