UCONN's Site has an entire section for Conference Realignment

Conference Realignment Board

https://the-boneyard.com/forums/confere ... -board.15/
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: Realignment 2021

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

It is only natural for the few greedy, power hungry conferences to expand to a nationwide geographic footprint to max their revenue and become a professional level league in football and basketball. It’s survival of the fittest playing out.

If that is where things are going despite attempts to slow it or derail it, I am not sure what that leaves for those left on the outside other than maybe finding a niche role where they can compete once in awhile when the stars align.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Funny that the UConn Boneyard section on realignment has a thread on what to do if 4 BE teams leave for the Big 12. They must have read the same article I referenced earlier in this thread.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 11 months ago UCONN's Site has an entire section for Conference Realignment

Ramster, thanks for the link. An enlightening read.

I rarely go on other boards but it is slow here and this is a topic I find interesting.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 11 months ago UCONN's Site has an entire section for Conference Realignment

Ramster, I went back again today for about an hour and perused the realignment link to the boneyard you provided above. It looks as though the consensus over there is that a UConn invite to the Big 12 is pretty close to a done deal based off of the very recent meetings between the Big 12 Commish and UConn (one meeting in Storrs and the second one in NYC).

A few posters there also mentioned that Colorado and Gonzaga are expected to join the Big 12, too.

Some posters also mentioned that the Big East is in discussions to raise their conference exit fee. It will be too late for that to impact UConn - in their opinion - but may limit the possibility of further poaching of the BE from the Big 12 and other P5’s looking to maximize basketball revenue.

Almost forgot…a few posters also referenced an ESPN related tweet suggesting the idea of an ACC/BE basketball merger if UConn and one or two other BE schools leave.

Thanks again for providing the link. I never thought to visit the site before but it is enlightening to get the perspective of other programs fans on realignment.

Interesting and uncertain times for college sports fans.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I literally have no idea how the Big 12 not just survived but is now poised to come out ahead of the Pac 12 and ACC. I thought they were toast a decade ago when they lost Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and Texas A&M and only added West Virginia and TCU. Then they looked toast for sure when Oklahoma and Texas announced they were leaving. BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, and Houston aren't exactly blue bloods but it gives the conference stability that the Pac 12 and ACC don't have.

Looking back it feels like the Pac 12 made a really big mistake by not grabbing Kansas and Oklahoma State one of these times the Big 12 was teetering and putting it out of its misery. Now it looks like Colorado could bolt back to the Big 12 and Utah and the Arizona schools could go with them. You also know Washington and Oregon are looking for a lifeboat, so the Pac 12 could be toast in a couple of years
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago I literally have no idea how the Big 12 not just survived but is now poised to come out ahead of the Pac 12 and ACC. I thought they were toast a decade ago when they lost Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and Texas A&M and only added West Virginia and TCU. Then they looked toast for sure when Oklahoma and Texas announced they were leaving. BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, and Houston aren't exactly blue bloods but it gives the conference stability that the Pac 12 and ACC don't have.

Looking back it feels like the Pac 12 made a really big mistake by not grabbing Kansas and Oklahoma State one of these times the Big 12 was teetering and putting it out of its misery. Now it looks like Colorado could bolt back to the Big 12 and Utah and the Arizona schools could go with them. You also know Washington and Oregon are looking for a lifeboat, so the Pac 12 could be toast in a couple of years
Yeah, 02, the Big 12 has surprised me as well. I never thought they would survive.

I never thought I’d live to see the ACC and PAC 12 struggle either.

P5 cannibalism. What a world.
1 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

Too bad the BIG 12 wont take UMass too as a travel partner for UConn! Now zi bet that made you laugh :)
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Whether Memphis is part of Big 12 expansion plans or not, school officials are keeping their cards close to the vest.
Last week, a delegation of Big 12 officials (which included commissioner Brett Yormark) reportedly toured campus as well as Memphis' athletic facilities, while also meeting with key city and university figures. The visit was reportedly part of the Big 12’s “due diligence” as it continued to explore the prospect of expanding.
Yormark subsequently issued a statement to try to poke holes in the initial report.
“I’ve never met with anyone at Memphis about adding them to the Big 12, nor have I been on campus,” he said.
On Wednesday, when asked to address the validity of Yormark’s reported visit, Memphis president Bill Hardgrave declined.
“Yeah, I’m not going to talk about any of that,” he told The Commercial Appeal.

Memphis vice president and athletic director Laird Veatch also neither confirmed nor denied that any meetings took place.
“You know, what I would say is we have, throughout, tried to be really professional and thoughtful about not commenting about the process,” said Veatch. “We’ll continue that. I believe that’s the right way to operate. You don’t want to get into commenting or speculation on anything. It’s not beneficial to the university or to the process or to anybody involved.”
Memphis is one of several schools reportedly drawing interest from the Big 12 as it considers expanding for the second time in two years. Others include Colorado – as the headliner of a package deal with fellow Pac-12 schools Arizona State, Arizona and Utah – and UConn, according to multiple reports, none of which have been shot down publicly by Yormark.
The Big 12’s most recent expansion pulled three schools from the American Athletic Conference (Houston, Cincinnati and UCF) and added BYU. Those moves were made not long after Oklahoma and Texas announced they were leaving the Big 12 for the SEC. The AAC, to account for its departures, has since itself expanded. Joining Memphis and others in the AAC on July 1 will be Charlotte, UTSA, Rice, North Texas, FAU and UAB – all of which are defecting from Conference USA.
Memphis officials have made it clear in recent years how motivated they are to level-up from a conference affiliation perspective. The school is on the verge of embarking upon a massive renovation project for Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium. The plan is for $150-$200 million worth of work to begin shortly after the 2023 football season and have it completed by before the start of the 2025 season.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/memphis-pr ... 58938.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The Cincinnati Story in getting the Big 12 Invitation

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tramel-cin ... 35474.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

San Diego State gives notice of intent to leave Mountain West

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/reports-sa ... 12307.html
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 10 months ago San Diego State gives notice of intent to leave Mountain West

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/reports-sa ... 12307.html
Thanks for posting the story, Ramster.

Interesting. I would think the PAC 12 is the landing spot but the Big 12 could be a less likely possibility depending if any PAC 12 teams leave for other conferences.

The odds are probably 90% PAC12 and 10% Big12. Musical chairs continues.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

San Diego June 30 Deadline implications for Mountain West, PAC 12 and BIG 12

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/san-diego- ... 14283.html
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PAC 12 is not going to release Media Deal info on Friday

Reading the tea leaves it sounds to me like UCONN is Big 12 Bound and it could be soon.

Would be a great move for UCONN to go P5 now

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wheredobig ... 00116.html

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/big-12 ... ux.192551/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bad Commissioners back to back in PAC 12

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/george-kli ... 41603.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

What a crazy day, Ramster. Looks like the PAC - as a relevant conference - is all done and the ACC is on thin ice.

The whacky world of college sports. What a shit show.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 8 months ago
What a crazy day, Ramster. Looks like the PAC - as a relevant conference - is all done and the ACC is on thin ice.

The whacky world of college sports. What a shit show.
Jd,

Actually the addition of PAC12 teams to both the Big12 and the Big 10 likely calmed the ACC waters for the time being.

Several ACC teams had been rumored including North Carolina and Clemson. Fascinating now that just Friday (yesterday) report is that the ACC was looking into adding 5-7 PAC12 teams whereby the ACC would have a western division. They got beat to the punch.

Will be interesting now to see what happens with UCONN and Memphis in the East. Is there any more room at the Inn at the ACC, Big10 or Big12?

One big winner in this is Utah as they will now be in the same conference as BYU - what a phenomenal rivalry - lots of dislike between those two schools.

The Mountain West merging with the 4 remaining teams in the PAC12 is likely but not a forehand conclusion but things should continue at a rapid pace.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/acc-presid ... 27377.html
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What happens with the PAC12 now will be interesting

Fresno State looking to move up

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fresno-state ... 00927.html
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

With the news that Clemson is also sueing to get out of the ACC, it's clear imo that they and Florida St will end up in the SEC.

Just a matter of time.

If UConn wants to save their FB program they will then need to join the ACC, for all sports.

If they are invited of course.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I believe the basketball at UConn is their ticket to get the football team into the best conference possible. Especially if the men go back to back.
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If UConn leaves the BE that might accelerate the decline of that conference.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I wonder if UConn will offer the ACC what SMU did to get their football out of independent hell.

"In a stunning concession, SMU agree to a package of 0dollars in media generated revenue for the first 9 years they will be in the ACC, starting in the fall of 2024.

In addition, SMU will have to pay the American Athletic Association (their current home) an exit fee of several million dollars, a total which has yet to be negotiated."
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines