'22 NC/GA SF Nate Brafford (Georgia Southern)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: '22 NC/GA SF Nate Brafford (Offer)

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago It’s on Thorr to find the next stud coach , I have confidence he will get it right after missing on Cox
This makes no sense- Thorr missed on Cox. What gives you confidence that he can make a good hire? I hope he can, but I am certainly not confident. The program is a lot worse off than when Cox was given the keys.
A few reasons for why I agree with Reef.
1)I think Thorr's done a good job with other major hires. Reiss has looked the part early on. Football has continually been heading in the right direction. I know some people haven't been pleased with Fleming, but you could do a lot worse then Coach Fleming. And the Hurley hire was spot on.
2) Thorr has done a good job selling himself/the school. Part of an AD's job is a salesman, and Thorr does a good job. He seems genuine when he speaks, and is well respected by other ADs.
3) You can say he was wrong about Cox, but I don't really think he had much of an option. Cox had a solid resume, and seemed like a logical choice to keep the momentum of the program going. (Plus, if you believe the rumors he was reluctant to hire him, which would be another reason to trust him making the hire if you are in the anti-Cox crowd).
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago It’s on Thorr to find the next stud coach , I have confidence he will get it right after missing on Cox
This makes no sense- Thorr missed on Cox. What gives you confidence that he can make a good hire? I hope he can, but I am certainly not confident. The program is a lot worse off than when Cox was given the keys.
A lot of his posts don't make sense.
0 x
Go Rhody
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Rhodykyle , no way would I extend Cox . And I am not saying keep him at all . I'm saying be sure you have a definite group of candidates that you would hire because they are proven winners and do what you have to to make that happen . If you don't see any of those candidates or they have no interest in coming , don't feel pressure to hire just anyone or even a slightly better coach . I believe it would be a mistake to not get a proven coach even if you
have to delay it for a season . I hope that guy will be out there and if so by all means hire him .
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

luke wrote: 2 years ago Rhodykyle , no way would I extend Cox . And I am not saying keep him at all . I'm saying be sure you have a definite group of candidates that you would hire because they are proven winners and do what you have to to make that happen . If you don't see any of those candidates or they have no interest in coming , don't feel pressure to hire just anyone or even a slightly better coach . I believe it would be a mistake to not get a proven coach even if you
have to delay it for a season . I hope that guy will be out there and if so by all means hire him .
I feel like you might be talking in a circle here. No way you extend Cox - agreed there. Let's say URI can't get one of the 3 or so coaches you mentioned? What is your solution? Throw Cox out there, knowing all of his deficiencies, as a lame duck coach? Basically prolong the rebuild?
3 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

No, you will prolong the rebuild if you give an ineffective coach 3-4 years . all I'm saying if you can't get a major upgrade be patient for a season
rather than bringing in someone who isn't going to bring the program back to a high level . Will there be one or more great options after the season is
complete ? I hope so , but I hope we don't get a Mccall or a Billy Lange or an Ashley Howard as UMASS , ST. Joes and Lasalle did. Their fan bases couldn't wait for their coaches to be fired and they got their wish and now they are stuck with them. . UMASS has already fired McCall after 4 seasons and
most start over again . The same fate awaits St. Joes and Lasalle sooner or later because these no name coaches are unable to recruit at a high
enough level to return to relevance. This is what happens when a team brings in the wrong replacement without a strong track record . I hope that doesn't happen to URI .
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Shouldn't all of these posts be somewhere else?
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Shouldn't all of these posts be somewhere else?
I was kind of too baffled at first to realize what topic they were in. But yeah, anyway... Let's try to keep the discussion focused on Brafford in this one from now on.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
I was kind of too baffled at first to realize what topic they were in. But yeah, anyway... Let's try to keep the discussion focused on Brafford in this one from now on.
Thank you
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Thank you
Sorry, all! I'm dropping it entirely. Partly because it is off topic here but mostly because I'm just getting more and more confused.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Brafford sounds like he fills a big gap in our program. Stretch 4 who can shoot. Could be a nice match.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago Brafford sounds like he fills a big gap in our program. Stretch 4 who can shoot. Could be a nice match.
He plays guard.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago Brafford sounds like he fills a big gap in our program. Stretch 4 who can shoot. Could be a nice match.
He plays guard.
If he played the 4 he would be abused. He's a stick. I like Brafford but my hope is our next head coach recruits players that are recruited by strong mid-majors and low-level high majors like we used to do. Sick of URI being the best offer for every kid we are going after.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This staff's recruiting standards are lower than Baron's were.

Shows that they can't compete with better mid majors or basically any P5's.

4 stars? Those are a thing of the past since Cox took over.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
He plays guard.
If he played the 4 he would be abused. He's a stick. I like Brafford but my hope is our next head coach recruits players that are recruited by strong mid-majors and low-level high majors like we used to do. Sick of URI being the best offer for every kid we are going after.
Yeah this dude is just another Tres Berry/Ayo Faleye sitting the bench for two years on awful teams.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
He plays guard.
Yeah this dude is just another Tres Berry/Ayo Faleye sitting the bench for two years on awful teams.
Not so sure.

A 6'8"/6'9" guard/wing that can shoot and score like him plus has his handles will contribute wherever he ends up.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I kind of doubt we're still in on him for the obvious reasons, but just updating for thoroughness' sake...

- He's listed as #7 of this list of Top 10 NC prospects. The #8 guy is a PC recruit (the great name of Christ Essandoko) and #6 M.J. Collins is bound for Virginia Tech.

- He's one of the 12 members of the 4A All-State team from the Charlotte Observer, as voted on by league coaches.

He picked up that offer from Coastal Carolina in February, but otherwise, all quiet.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Not so sure.

A 6'8"/6'9" guard/wing that can shoot and score like him plus has his handles will contribute wherever he ends up.
This is the type of player that we will see from a smaller school in March and think, how come we can’t get players like that? Recruit the skill set and build the athleticism later instead of just taking highly athletic guys and projecting basketball skills to grow.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Brafford is a compelling prospect. Going from high school to division one basketball is a big jump as to speed, strength, basketball IQ. He may need a good year, at least, of practice time, coaching and study before he becomes a regular contributor but he looks to have the skills. I wonder if he’s still in the mix?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

This did not age well...
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

Not so sure.

This is the type of player that we will see from a smaller school in March and think, how come we can't get players like that? Recruit the skill set and build the athleticism later instead of just taking highly athletic guys and projecting basketball skills to grow.
I am intrigued by Nate, but Cox has had many recruiting misses lately. This was another Cox recruit. This board is the king of overhyping players that haven't played yet.

We have Archie Miller now. Recruiting battles against Western Carolina is hopefully over..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Now that it has been rumored that Austin Carroll will be retained, will Brafford still be on our radar?

I believe Austin was the lead in his recruitment.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Now that it has been rumored that Austin Carroll will be retained, will Brafford still be on our radar?

If Archie sees this kid's game tape and likes him I'm sure we can get him. He clearly wants to be a Ram.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Now that it has been rumored that Austin Carroll will be retained, will Brafford still be on our radar?

If Archie sees this kid's game tape and likes him I'm sure we can get him. He clearly wants to be a Ram.
We could now be looking for higher level recruits......just have to wait and see.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago

We could now be looking for higher level recruits......just have to wait and see.
Agreed, but I feel like people on here expect us to land a bunch high 3-4 star recruits instantly. It's going to take some time for Archie to build our brand back up. I think Brafford has the potential to be a good player in the A10. He does a lot of good things on the offensive end. At the bare minimum, he can be a nice spot-up shooter for us.... I hope Archie considers him.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Agreed, but I feel like people on here expect us to land a bunch high 3-4 star recruits instantly. It's going to take some time for Archie to build our brand back up. I think Brafford has the potential to be a good player in the A10. He does a lot of good things on the offensive end. At the bare minimum, he can be a nice spot-up shooter for us.... I hope Archie considers him.
Huh? Hurley had EC year 1. JT year 2. That was after 10+ years of Baron. I expect high level recruits.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Huh? Hurley had EC year 1. JT year 2. That was after 10+ years of Baron. I expect high level recruits.
Archie wasn't coaching 2021-22, so I kind of wonder how much scouting of 2022-23 and beyond recruits he was doing. Also, plenty of good players have already been signed, so, I'm not going to kill him if he doesn't have three and four-stars lined up for Fall 2022.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Archie wasn't coaching 2021-22, so I kind of wonder how much scouting of 2022-23 and beyond recruits he was doing. Also, plenty of good players have already been signed, so, I'm not going to kill him if he doesn't have three and four-stars lined up for Fall 2022.
Next year will be his first full recruiting cycle so yeah we will see going forward.

Curious how he fills out the roster this season, not expecting miracles, but let's hope.

And by the way, I am still good if he does continue to pursue Brafford regardless of how few stars he has.
Anytime you have a 6'8"/6'9" guard/wing with his handles, shooting ability, and basketball IQ, I would take a chance on him.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Archie said we have to have kids who can shoot the basketball. This kid can. He has skills. Maybe a redshirt year and a year in Hope Dining Hall and the weight room and he'd be ready to go in '23-'24.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good thread so I am checking back in today.

I went back through the thread. Jersey and Steveystuds give good breakdowns of his skill set on page 1. Brafford is a very intriguing prospect but his offers - aside from Rhody - don’t impress. Why is that?

Is it a question with foot speed? Strength? Something else? But, look at the Holmgren (spelling?) at Gonzaga. Thin frame, similar body types although Holmgren is taller and has a better skill set. Is he a lesser Holmgren with an A10 3rd team type player ceiling?

If I had to describe Brafford using one word, it would be enigma.

Wherever he lands, I will follow his career to see how he does.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Good thread so I am checking back in today.

I went back through the thread. Jersey and Steveystuds give good breakdowns of his skill set on page 1. Brafford is a very intriguing prospect but his offers - aside from Rhody - don’t impress. Why is that?

Is it a question with foot speed? Strength? Something else? But, look at the Holmgren (spelling?) at Gonzaga. Thin frame, similar body types although Holmgren is taller and has a better skill set. Is he a lesser Holmgren with an A10 3rd team type player ceiling?

We are now comparing Nathan Brafford (who?) to the number 1 high school prospect in America last year, who will also be a Top 3 NBA draft pick in June.

What. A. World.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Did I say he's not going to land ANY top recruits? I said people like yourself have completely unrealistic expectations and expect Archie to instantly land a BUNCH of great recruits. I fully expect Archie to land some studs. But we will need to also fill the roster with guys that fit his system. Role players that fill a need...

Rhody15 is spot on about how you view every single team in college basketball.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

We are now comparing Nathan Brafford (who?) to the number 1 high school prospect in America last year, who will also be a Top 3 NBA draft pick in June.

What. A. World.
No. Similar body type and style game. NOT same level of talent. And, yes what a world, indeed. Sheesh!

Definition of similar: to resemble, not identical. So, to clarify…Brafford, imho, has a similar style game. He is not on the level of a former top national recruit. Brafford is not identical in competency.

I am interested, in your assessment of his game, as well as others here. Any deeper insight?
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago

I went back through the thread. Jersey and Steveystuds give good breakdowns of his skill set on page 1. Brafford is a very intriguing prospect but his offers - aside from Rhody - don't impress. Why is that?

What. A. World.
No. Similar body type and style game. NOT same level of talent. And, yes what a world, indeed. Sheesh!

Definition of similar: to resemble, not identical. So, to clarify…Brafford, imho, has a similar style game. He is not on the level of a former top national recruit. Brafford is not identical in competency.

I am interested, in your assessment of his game, as well as others here. Any deeper insight?
I don't think many people watched game tape of this kid. They see a star rating and instantly assume he's not a player we want. I get it since Cox has had a lot of misses, but something about this kid intrigues me.

Blueram brings up EC and Terrell but conveniently left out names like Bigby, Biggie Minnis, Mike Aaman, Jarelle Reischel, Iffy, Matthew Butler... Hurley had to build a roster, and it wasn't full of studs right away. Obviously, he created a great team/program, and the rest is history. I expect Archie to bring in a couple of top A10 level talent players next season, but I expect some role players and projects as well.... Hearing the negative responses about him keeping Austin makes me think that if Archie doesn't land a roster full of top 100 players, certain people will talk trash. Which I find ridiculous.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

What. A. World.

I don't think many people watched game tape of this kid. They see a star rating and instantly assume he's not a player we want. I get it since Cox has had a lot of misses, but something about this kid intrigues me.

Blueram brings up EC and Terrell but conveniently left out names like Bigby, Biggie Minnis, Mike Aaman, Jarelle Reischel, Iffy, Matthew Butler... Hurley had to build a roster, and it wasn't full of studs right away. Obviously, he created a great team/program, and the rest is history. I expect Archie to bring in a couple of top A10 level talent players next season, but I expect some role players and projects as well.... Hearing the negative responses about him keeping Austin makes me think that if Archie doesn't land a roster full of top 100 players, certain people will talk trash. Which I find ridiculous.
Good discussion, Steveystuds. I am just going off of what I’ve watched and read. I haven’t done a thorough scouting report on him and I am not planning to do one. That said, Brafford is an intriguing prospect, I agree.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What. A. World.

After these last few years and how many stiffs we’ve gotten thru recruiting and transfers, I don’t spend half the time looking these kids up until they step on our floor.

Jalen Carey (not a stiff) was a borderline All American in high school, and he can’t consistently start in the A10.

Jermaine Harris was Top 80, and probably the biggest bust in his recruiting class.

Betrand/El Ahmin, great stats at lower level conferences and minimal production here.

So I’ve spent less than one second looking Brafford up, a two star kid who has pretty terrible offers besides us, and someone we probably aren’t even recruiting anymore.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

What. A. World.

After these last few years and how many stiffs we’ve gotten thru recruiting and transfers, I don’t spend half the time looking these kids up until they step on our floor.

Jalen Carey (not a stiff) was a borderline All American in high school, and he can’t consistently start in the A10.

Jermaine Harris was Top 80, and probably the biggest bust in his recruiting class.

Betrand/El Ahmin, great stats at lower level conferences and minimal production here.

So I’ve spent less than one second looking Brafford up, a two star kid who has pretty terrible offers besides us, and someone we probably aren’t even recruiting anymore.
Regarding AB too small of a sample size for me to make a judgement call.
Had very limited practice time in 20-21 when he transferred because of Covid protocols.
Then missed the 1st part of the season prior to the rule changes.

It's too bad we couldn't get to see what he was capable of.
With all that said, I am good if he has a change of heart and Archie welcomes him back.

As far as Brafford, I am with Stevey and find him very intriguing.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I hear ya, 15. I just enjoy KB recruiting threads and watching a little bit of tape on players once in awhile - even if they have little shot of landing at Rhody because they may have borderline talent or may be too good or the position isn’t a big need for Rhody. It helps me pass time.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago I hear ya, 15. I just enjoy KB recruiting threads and watching a little bit of tape on players once in awhile - even if they have little shot of landing at Rhody because they may have borderline talent or may be too good or the position isn’t a big need for Rhody. It helps me pass time.
Used to absolutely love the recruiting section, the Hurley years it was a tremendous read.

Obviously died down the last few years, hopefully (he will) Archie brings the recruiting talk back.
2 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

With 8 spots to fill, and this being an Austin recruit, I would not mind one bit seeing Nate suit up for us next year.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago With 8 spots to fill, and this being an Austin recruit, I would not mind one bit seeing Nate suit up for us next year.
At this rate Brafford might average over 40 minutes per game next season a la Wilt Chamberlin that one season.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago With 8 spots to fill, and this being an Austin recruit, I would not mind one bit seeing Nate suit up for us next year.
At this rate Brafford might average over 40 minutes per game next season a la Wilt Chamberlin that one season.
At this point we don't know what Archie thinks of Brafford.

He does play fast, good shooter and handles, also his length doesn't hurt.

But again, Archie may see him as more of a project than what he is looking for, so let's see what happens.
2 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

I trust our coach with this decision. God that feels good, I haven't been able to say that in a while... If we have open spots I don't think it hurts to have him in the mix the first couple seasons. My guess is we are looking for higher level recruits moving forward.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

MTK4L wrote: 2 years ago I trust our coach with this decision. God that feels good, I haven't been able to say that in a while... If we have open spots I don't think it hurts to have him in the mix the first couple seasons. My guess is we are looking for higher level recruits moving forward.
I think every team needs a couple “projects” or guys that are boom/bust type recruits. With the immediate transfer eligibility you aren’t going to fill 13 spots with guys who get PT.
3 x
Spuwho
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Spuwho »

I am watching Nate Brafford (and his brother) as I follow a different school recruiting him.

First off, he is most definitely a 2 star recruit. Second, while he transferred to Rabun Gap, he still has not faced a significant level of competition. Third, I don't doubt his skills but his low weight will cause issues in physical games, games that are much more common in D1 than they are in D2. Finally there is the factor that many ignore and that is the mental ability to play at a higher level. That is something I don't have feedback on.

So many kids at any rating struggle to elevate their skills to the next level and this causes kids to lose confidence and eventually want to xfer. If the recruit doesn't have the mental and emotional tools to raise their game they usually finish their college sports life at a high to mid D2 or leave completely.

And the amount of D1 xfers to mid D2's are a dime a dozen.

The cool thing about 2 stars is the amount of upside they bring. But is this 2 star URI and A10 material? If URI wants to get back to the NCAA Tournament, I don't think this is your guy and I will surmise Archie will see the same.

I see him landing in a low D1 school where he will be facing more 2 and 2.5 star recruits of his like. I am not dissing on URI, I just think that Archie will be looking a bit higher on the scales of talent. While he is exciting to watch, this really isn't where URI should be looking to be competitive in the A10.

Nate will have a fun career in college ball and will probably get a chance to play pro in Europe when he completes his eligibility.

Seriously I was even surprised URI was interested...that is why I came here to find out why.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

My only thoughts are who else do you fill out the back end of the roster with? I’d assume the vast majority of recruits for 22-23 season are signed.

Hard to convince even a transfer to come here and ride the end of the bench
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago My only thoughts are who else do you fill out the back end of the roster with? I’d assume the vast majority of recruits for 22-23 season are signed.

Hard to convince even a transfer to come here and ride the end of the bench
TB at Virginia intentionally left 2-4 scholarships open this past year to give players PT and leave open spots to recruit. Innovative idea in the portal era. I know that they got 4 top recruits this year but they lost at least one scholarship to the portal. Interesting approach.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Spuwho wrote: 2 years ago I am watching Nate Brafford (and his brother) as I follow a different school recruiting him.

First off, he is most definitely a 2 star recruit. Second, while he transferred to Rabun Gap, he still has not faced a significant level of competition. Third, I don't doubt his skills but his low weight will cause issues in physical games, games that are much more common in D1 than they are in D2. Finally there is the factor that many ignore and that is the mental ability to play at a higher level. That is something I don't have feedback on.

So many kids at any rating struggle to elevate their skills to the next level and this causes kids to lose confidence and eventually want to xfer. If the recruit doesn't have the mental and emotional tools to raise their game they usually finish their college sports life at a high to mid D2 or leave completely.

And the amount of D1 xfers to mid D2's are a dime a dozen.

The cool thing about 2 stars is the amount of upside they bring. But is this 2 star URI and A10 material? If URI wants to get back to the NCAA Tournament, I don't think this is your guy and I will surmise Archie will see the same.

I see him landing in a low D1 school where he will be facing more 2 and 2.5 star recruits of his like. I am not dissing on URI, I just think that Archie will be looking a bit higher on the scales of talent. While he is exciting to watch, this really isn't where URI should be looking to be competitive in the A10.

Nate will have a fun career in college ball and will probably get a chance to play pro in Europe when he completes his eligibility.

Seriously I was even surprised URI was interested...that is why I came here to find out why.
Thanks for jumping in here with good insight, Spu. Do you think Brafford is worth a scholly as an end of the bench project as Rhodylaw posted earlier today?
0 x
Spuwho
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Spuwho »

Hate to say it, but some schools recruit 2 star talent to be a practice body. Some one who can push their 3 or 4 stars from below to keep them motivated and fresh as the season grinds. If they blossom or turn out to be better than 2 star the coach is a hero. If the 2 star pushes their player to reach a new level, the coach is a hero. If the 2 star rides the bench, never sees a game after 2 seasons they typically xfer.

Most 2 stars being grateful don't challenge the situation. But all 3 or 4 stars *will* challenge the situation and transfer out if they get a whiff they are a practice dummy or anything less than what coach promised.

I have no evidence URI is doing this today, but I do have proof this happens today in the NCAA. Specifically at a school that has been top rated for the last few years.

This is why 2 star talent has to be cognizant of what they are being recruited for in D1 and what the coaches expectations are in advance. Good coaches are straight with the talent they pursue and recruit. Unfortunately many coaches are under a lot of pressure and aren't straight with the prospect. Thanks to social media, AAU tourneys and various camps the kids are getting better at sharing what coaches are up too.

As it relates to this particular student-athlete, being a 2 star he has to be very honest with himself about what a BB life is like in a D1. Especially with a new coach who most definitely is looking to re-establish a stream of talent and follow through on his goals. Some, but not all, high D2 programs operate the same way. The D1 programs that don't work this way are few but do exist.

The days of a student feeling anchored to a program is over. Xfer rules are liberal enough that it has become very easy to seek new options.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Spuwho wrote: 2 years ago Hate to say it, but some schools recruit 2 star talent to be a practice body. Some one who can push their 3 or 4 stars from below to keep them motivated and fresh as the season grinds. If they blossom or turn out to be better than 2 star the coach is a hero. If the 2 star pushes their player to reach a new level, the coach is a hero. If the 2 star rides the bench, never sees a game after 2 seasons they typically xfer.

Most 2 stars being grateful don't challenge the situation. But all 3 or 4 stars *will* challenge the situation and transfer out if they get a whiff they are a practice dummy or anything less than what coach promised.

I have no evidence URI is doing this today, but I do have proof this happens today in the NCAA. Specifically at a school that has been top rated for the last few years.

This is why 2 star talent has to be cognizant of what they are being recruited for in D1 and what the coaches expectations are in advance. Good coaches are straight with the talent they pursue and recruit. Unfortunately many coaches are under a lot of pressure and aren't straight with the prospect. Thanks to social media, AAU tourneys and various camps the kids are getting better at sharing what coaches are up too.

As it relates to this particular student-athlete, being a 2 star he has to be very honest with himself about what a BB life is like in a D1. Especially with a new coach who most definitely is looking to re-establish a stream of talent and follow through on his goals. Some, but not all, high D2 programs operate the same way. The D1 programs that don't work this way are few but do exist.

The days of a student feeling anchored to a program is over. Xfer rules are liberal enough that it has become very easy to seek new options.
Thanks, Spu. Good player insight and overall recruiting perspective for me to chew on and consider. Don’t be a stranger here.
0 x
Spuwho
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Spuwho »

I guess the last remark I can make here is with regards to college prospects and their emotional state going into a college basketball program.

After the "high" of being pursued and they make their commitment, too many kids thinks it's back to high school in their work ethic. And when they can't transition mentally to the new demands placed on them, they fall back in frustration and do what many kids do, they quit or go somewhere else where the demands are more in line with their expectations. This usually means going to a JC.

JC basketball has different needs being met depending on the player. For some it's academic. For others it's maintaining playing time. Others it's financial but for many it's all about growing up.

A lot happens to a guy between 18-22 and some grow up quickly, some need some help and yet others don't get it or rebel under the constraints. The higher the level of talent the more tolerant the program usually is.

You can't count how many kids with incredible levels of talent couldn't allow themselves to submit to a program. To a lesser degree there are thousands of 2 stars who couldn't cope with college life for all the reasons above.

A recent example I observed is a kid with 2 star skills and talent, had a reasonable level of upside. But didn't (or wouldn't) do what it took to reach the next level. Doing workouts on his own, changing his diet, getting up at 6am to shoot around. Essentially surrounding himself with the needed discipline and activities to get him in the right place to advance. He complained about his playing time. He started getting beat on defense, his shooting pct. started suffering. The coaches started riding him. He eventually transferred out.

For some kids, they lose their love of basketball if it demands more then they are willing to give. They have to then make a choice between their dream and their life style.

Can't tell you how many 6' 10" centers lose their love ( or will ) at around age 21 or 22. The will declines, they gain a lot of weight (from 250 to 290) and they end up riding the bench in their last year of eligibility because they are going through the motions to finish their scholarship.

I am not saying these are bad people or that they are doing someone wrong. A lot of guys lose their internal flame that lit their fire and are ready to move into something else. It happens.

But I do think that people place too much emphasis on the pursuit of scholarship without thinking about the person and how they will cope (not just perform) with college life.

Schools are getting better at helping them cope and make the transition, but the bigger the D1, the less time they have for the individual, and that is something all recruits need to know.
3 x