'22 NC/GA SF Nate Brafford (Georgia Southern)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: '22 NC/GA SF Nate Brafford (Offer)

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Wow you said a lot! Oftentimes we wonder why a particular athlete flattens out despite their obvious raw talent. We blame on bad coaching, difficult environment or just, as you say, lost inner drive.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Spuwho wrote: 2 years ago I guess the last remark I can make here is with regards to college prospects and their emotional state going into a college basketball program.

After the "high" of being pursued and they make their commitment, too many kids thinks it's back to high school in their work ethic. And when they can't transition mentally to the new demands placed on them, they fall back in frustration and do what many kids do, they quit or go somewhere else where the demands are more in line with their expectations. This usually means going to a JC.

JC basketball has different needs being met depending on the player. For some it's academic. For others it's maintaining playing time. Others it's financial but for many it's all about growing up.

A lot happens to a guy between 18-22 and some grow up quickly, some need some help and yet others don't get it or rebel under the constraints. The higher the level of talent the more tolerant the program usually is.

You can't count how many kids with incredible levels of talent couldn't allow themselves to submit to a program. To a lesser degree there are thousands of 2 stars who couldn't cope with college life for all the reasons above.

A recent example I observed is a kid with 2 star skills and talent, had a reasonable level of upside. But didn't (or wouldn't) do what it took to reach the next level. Doing workouts on his own, changing his diet, getting up at 6am to shoot around. Essentially surrounding himself with the needed discipline and activities to get him in the right place to advance. He complained about his playing time. He started getting beat on defense, his shooting pct. started suffering. The coaches started riding him. He eventually transferred out.

For some kids, they lose their love of basketball if it demands more then they are willing to give. They have to then make a choice between their dream and their life style.

Can't tell you how many 6' 10" centers lose their love ( or will ) at around age 21 or 22. The will declines, they gain a lot of weight (from 250 to 290) and they end up riding the bench in their last year of eligibility because they are going through the motions to finish their scholarship.

I am not saying these are bad people or that they are doing someone wrong. A lot of guys lose their internal flame that lit their fire and are ready to move into something else. It happens.

But I do think that people place too much emphasis on the pursuit of scholarship without thinking about the person and how they will cope (not just perform) with college life.

Schools are getting better at helping them cope and make the transition, but the bigger the D1, the less time they have for the individual, and that is something all recruits need to know.
Spu, really appreciate the breakdowns you have provided. I am sure others on the board do/will too.

If you are comfortable with answering, I have a few questions:

Do you work with, counsel, advise student athletes?

What are your thoughts on recruiting player ratings?

Thanks, again for jumping on the board and I hope you return periodically, at least.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Spuwho wrote: 2 years ago I guess the last remark I can make here is with regards to college prospects and their emotional state going into a college basketball program.

After the "high" of being pursued and they make their commitment, too many kids thinks it's back to high school in their work ethic. And when they can't transition mentally to the new demands placed on them, they fall back in frustration and do what many kids do, they quit or go somewhere else where the demands are more in line with their expectations. This usually means going to a JC.

JC basketball has different needs being met depending on the player. For some it's academic. For others it's maintaining playing time. Others it's financial but for many it's all about growing up.

A lot happens to a guy between 18-22 and some grow up quickly, some need some help and yet others don't get it or rebel under the constraints. The higher the level of talent the more tolerant the program usually is.

You can't count how many kids with incredible levels of talent couldn't allow themselves to submit to a program. To a lesser degree there are thousands of 2 stars who couldn't cope with college life for all the reasons above.

A recent example I observed is a kid with 2 star skills and talent, had a reasonable level of upside. But didn't (or wouldn't) do what it took to reach the next level. Doing workouts on his own, changing his diet, getting up at 6am to shoot around. Essentially surrounding himself with the needed discipline and activities to get him in the right place to advance. He complained about his playing time. He started getting beat on defense, his shooting pct. started suffering. The coaches started riding him. He eventually transferred out.

For some kids, they lose their love of basketball if it demands more then they are willing to give. They have to then make a choice between their dream and their life style.

Can't tell you how many 6' 10" centers lose their love ( or will ) at around age 21 or 22. The will declines, they gain a lot of weight (from 250 to 290) and they end up riding the bench in their last year of eligibility because they are going through the motions to finish their scholarship.

I am not saying these are bad people or that they are doing someone wrong. A lot of guys lose their internal flame that lit their fire and are ready to move into something else. It happens.

But I do think that people place too much emphasis on the pursuit of scholarship without thinking about the person and how they will cope (not just perform) with college life.

Schools are getting better at helping them cope and make the transition, but the bigger the D1, the less time they have for the individual, and that is something all recruits need to know.
As a fan and not a coach or player, this is probably the greatest post I've read.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

As a fan and not a coach or player, this is probably the greatest post I've read.
Yes please stick around Spuwho! Great post!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Yes please stick around Spuwho! Great post!
Spu you are the man and hope you stay around to help us with recruiting info
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Is it me or is Brafford throwing everyone the middle finger salute in that commitment photo above? :lol:
5 x
Eagle95
Jim Eitner

Re: '22 NC/GA SF Nate Brafford (Georgia Southern)

Unread post by Eagle95 »

I'm the recruiting admin for GSUFans.con for Georgia Southern alum sports and a former analyst for both Football and Basketball in the late 90s. Also, have coached HA Basketball and won a State Championship in the mid 90s.

I've seen a LOT of hoops teams and players over the years at every level from HS to NBA. Also, a friend of HC Bob McKillop of Davidson.

Nate Brafford is one of, if not THE, most underrated HS players that I've ever had the privilege of following. I have seen him play in person multiple times and vs some of GA's best talent, including a 25-7 Buford HS team this past season. Nate's team drubbed them 76-49 with Brafford dropping 30 points. Nate was virtually unstoppable. Buford has 3 Top 75 players in GA and are very well coached.

As you all have noted, Nate is very thin but uber skilled as his his younger, taller brother. Nate is, again as has already been said, a shorter "lite" version of Chet Holmgren.

He was asked by multiple P5 programs to reclassify into the 2023 class and work on his body as a condition of receiving an offer. This is THE main reason his offers were of Mid-Major variety. Coach McKillop have him a conditional offer but Nate waited too late and lost his chance. A snooze and lose choice. Now, with your recent coaching transition
. Nate was scared off and fell into our hands at Georgia Southern.

Our team has had an awfully difficult transition through the Covid years from Mark Byington, now HC at James Madison, to Brian Burg ... former #2 assistant to Chris Beard. While at Texas Tech and now HC at Texas. We lost almost all our scholarship players in that transition and not helped by Covid ... as no in-person recruiting could take place. Burg as struggled to get the talent level up to par.

Brafford isn't an elite prospect now but has a VERY high ceiling. Any player that can Dribble, Shoot, and Pass proficiently AND is 6'8" are rare finds .... even as rail thin as he is. Some comparisons, while more high profile players are as follows ....

Brandon Ingram
Chet Holmgren
Tayshaun Prince
Kevin Durant

Nate may not end up a stud player at the collegiate level but he is so skilled and his drive is so great that it's difficult to imagine him not being at least a starter and potential game-changer at the Mid-Major level.

Some players that I've had the privilege of seeing first hand and comparing up and coming players to are ....

Steph Curry (I'm friends with his dad Dell)
Elfrid Payton
Hasaan Whiteside
Damian Lillard

I believe we got an absolute steal!
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Eagle - welcome and thanks for stopping by and saying hello! Seems like Brafford could end up being huge for you guys. Wishing you and him the best.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Eagle95 wrote: 2 years ago I'm the recruiting admin for GSUFans.con for Georgia Southern alum sports and a former analyst for both Football and Basketball in the late 90s. Also, have coached HA Basketball and won a State Championship in the mid 90s.

I've seen a LOT of hoops teams and players over the years at every level from HS to NBA. Also, a friend of HC Bob McKillop of Davidson.

Nate Brafford is one of, if not THE, most underrated HS players that I've ever had the privilege of following. I have seen him play in person multiple times and vs some of GA's best talent, including a 25-7 Buford HS team this past season. Nate's team drubbed them 76-49 with Brafford dropping 30 points. Nate was virtually unstoppable. Buford has 3 Top 75 players in GA and are very well coached.

As you all have noted, Nate is very thin but uber skilled as his his younger, taller brother. Nate is, again as has already been said, a shorter "lite" version of Chet Holmgren.

He was asked by multiple P5 programs to reclassify into the 2023 class and work on his body as a condition of receiving an offer. This is THE main reason his offers were of Mid-Major variety. Coach McKillop have him a conditional offer but Nate waited too late and lost his chance. A snooze and lose choice. Now, with your recent coaching transition

Our team has had an awfully difficult transition through the Covid years from Mark Byington, now HC at James Madison, to Brian Burg ... former #2 assistant to Chris Beard. While at Texas Tech and now HC at Texas. We lost almost all our scholarship players in that transition and not helped by Covid ... as no in-person recruiting could take place. Burg as struggled to get the talent level up to par.

Brafford isn't an elite prospect now but has a VERY high ceiling. Any player that can Dribble, Shoot, and Pass proficiently AND is 6'8" are rare finds .... even as rail thin as he is. Some comparisons, while more high profile players are as follows ....

Brandon Ingram
Chet Holmgren
Tayshaun Prince
Kevin Durant

Nate may not end up a stud player at the collegiate level but he is so skilled and his drive is so great that it's difficult to imagine him not being at least a starter and potential game-changer at the Mid-Major level.

Some players that I've had the privilege of seeing first hand and comparing up and coming players to are ....

Elfrid Payton
Hasaan Whiteside
Damian Lillard

I was told he really enjoyed his visit to URI. He wanted to come here. Then the coaching change, as you said. Maybe a transfer candidate up here in the future? :D
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Eagle95 wrote: 2 years ago I'm the recruiting admin for GSUFans.con for Georgia Southern alum sports and a former analyst for both Football and Basketball in the late 90s. Also, have coached HA Basketball and won a State Championship in the mid 90s.

Brandon Ingram
Chet Holmgren
Tayshaun Prince
Kevin Durant

Elfrid Payton
Hasaan Whiteside
Damian Lillard

Welcome Eagle and best of luck to Nate it will be fun to follow him and hope it turns out to be an all conference player for u guys
1 x
Eagle95
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Eagle95 »

Thank you guys. We hope he does become a legitimate All-SBC caliber player as we most certainly need some Star power. Our team is chock full of role players .... some really solid ones .... but need a legit "bucket getter" and some "skilled size with length". Having a lineup that consists of "6th men" isn't a recipe for making the NCAA Tournament. We last made it in 1992 ... one of the longest in D1 :(

I always root for you guys since the days of Cuttino Mobley and Lamar Odom and Tyson Wheeler ... the Jim Harrick days and I liked Dan Hurley too.

Wish you all the best!!
8 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Brandon Ingram
Chet Holmgren
Tayshaun Prince
Kevin Durant

Elfrid Payton
Hasaan Whiteside
Damian Lillard

Ya, I think Jersey and I were one of the few on here that were high on this kid. We shall see... Good luck.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m sorry but you lost me when you put a two star recruit going to Georgia Southern in the same sentence as one of the best scorers/Top 30ish player of all time.

There’s no way in justifying comparing Nate Brafford to KEVIN DURANT.

Guess our fanbase isn’t the only one who overhypes their recruits!
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I'm sorry, but you lost me when you put a two star recruit going to Georgia Southern in the same sentence as one of the best scorers/Top 30ish player of all time.

There's no way in justifying comparing Nate Brafford to KEVIN DURANT.

Guess our fanbase isn't the only one who overhypes their recruits!
I think he's saying Brafford is a super skinny skilled forward who can handle the ball and shoot the rock. Not that he could become Durant. Durant was a stick in college, but he is probably the best offensive player in the history of the NBA or close..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Eagle95
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Eagle95 »

What SteveyStuds06 said

I'm not some guy that is coming to another fan board to gloat. I do understand that he may not end up being more than a rotational player at the D1 level due to his lack of strength and may not adjust to the next level of speed and skill. It happens all the time.

We have a former Top 100 player on our team named Kaden Archie. Archie is on his 4th (?) team and is a solid role player but he never was able to rise to the level of what was projected for him.

My hope is that Brafford exceeds expectations and becomes a fantastic player and help us finally get back to the postseason tournament.

How are y'all looking early on in Miller's leadership?

How's recruiting going? Transfers and holding on to your current players?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Eagle95 wrote: 2 years ago What SteveyStuds06 said

I'm not some guy that is coming to another fan board to gloat. I do understand that he may not end up being more than a rotational player at the D1 level due to his lack of strength and may not adjust to the next level of speed and skill. It happens all the time.

We have a former Top 100 player on our team named Kaden Archie. Archie is on his 4th (?) team and is a solid role player but he never was able to rise to the level of what was projected for him.

My hope is that Brafford exceeds expectations and becomes a fantastic player and help us finally get back to the postseason tournament.

Interestingly in common with Rabun Gap, URI, Davidson and Georgia SouthernURI recruited 6’10” Dusan Kovacevic back in 2015 or so. He played at Rabun Gap and was the high scorer/rebounder on the team if I remember right.
He picked Davidson and played there for 3 years but never became a starter.
Looking back I noticed Georgia Southern offered him too.
Al Skinner, former HC at URI was HC at Kennesaw State from 2015-19 so he also offered Kovacevic at the time URI, Davidson and Ga Southern offered. Small world.

Offers/Interest in Kovacevic:

OFFERS:
Rhode Island
Davidson
Georgia Southern
Kennesaw State
New Mexico
San Diego
Texas Tech
UAB

INTEREST:
Georgia
Iowa
Iowa St.
Missouri
Oklahoma St.

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?p=2 ... IC#p208743
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Eagle95 wrote: 2 years ago What SteveyStuds06 said

I totally agree I think Brafford COULD become an outstanding D1 player. I wanted Archie and our former coach Cox to take him on.

Archie seems to be taking his time. He built a powerful staff, and we are in the mix with some of the better guards available in the transfer market. We have a lot of slots to fill, but he's not going to rush it to get bodies. He has a vision, and he will only take on players that fit in that vision. My prediction... We will have a good team next season, but you'll start to see some home run recruits next year and watch us in March by year 3!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Eagle95
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Eagle95 »

Will be rooting you fellas on!

We just got a commitment today from former NBA Star and DePaul legend Rod Strickland ... son Tai. He's bounced from Wisconsin to Temple and now us. Hopefully he will find his mojo with us.

This new world of the Transfer Portal and NIL is quite the challenge!
0 x
Spuwho
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Spuwho »

The NCAA transfer portal has simply confirmed what some people have always known. That higher education is a commodity and many kids looking to play at a higher level don't view the host school for its academic value, but simply for its exposure capability.

More court time means more exposure means (sometimes) better stats to sell ones self, either for their next school or for their chance to play post college.

One lightly recruited player transfered 4 times, each time to a bigger school until finally in his last year of eligibility he played at an ACC school. It got him the exposure he needed to be invited to the NBA Summer League.

He was signed to a G League team and not too long after was picked up by a NBA team. Clearly he was elevating his skill level each time he changed schools, but while education was required while he played, it was mearly the instrument of his path to play more and be seen.

This is a very difficult path for anyone to take as it requires a higher levels of focus to ignore the changes in ones surroundings annually and place your energies on the court. Not just anyone can manage that at such a young age and is probably why he was able to get to the NBA.

As this "transfer market" continues to elevate itself you will find that men who are able to adapt quickly to their surroundings will succeed while many, and I mean many, will tire of the constant turnover and personal expectations and will complete their degree and move on with their life.

Congrats to Nate and his choice to attend Georgia Southern. I wish him the best and I hope he will enjoy his post HS sports experience.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Spuwho, is this similar to how the AAU culture operates?

I don’t have any firsthand knowledge of AAU other than what I’ve read or heard.

Insightful post. Thanks for checking back in and sharing.
0 x
Spuwho
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Spuwho »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Spuwho, is this similar to how the AAU culture operates?

AAU is simply a loose association of high school age players looking for a venue to expose their skills to a broader audience.

Unfortunately it has become somewhat bogged down by shoe money, inattentive parents, and a large mix of egos over true talent. Coaches in some case have become arbiters of their players well being in the absence of the parents.

In some markets AAU can be dominated by a small group of influential coaches that have too much control over the market and keep certain talent away. In response to this I have many seen small market high school coaches form their own AAU teams so the kids can get exposed and develop their skills. Unfortunately I have seen these types of teams get "locked out" of schedules and leagues because they don't fall inside a regional clique. This has required these teams to travel long distances just to get decent playing time. One small market AAU team was pretty much ignored until the cliques found out one of the players was being recruited by a major D1 school and suddenly their scheduling options changed overnight. It's just the way it is.

Some D1 coaches treat AAU with some skepticism because at times the coach does all the front end work. At the other end of the spectrum you have some D1 coaches who waste no time engaging these coaches to get an edge in recruiting. Generally most D1 coaches who have worked the big AAU showcases have a process down where they don't get wrapped up in the internal politics. They focus on the talent and sort the rest later on their recruitment boards and video rooms.

As for the kind of talent that comes out of AAU, one has to careful because the player that lights up the court may have a coach who runs an O that features them at the expense of others. Then the recruiting schools are baffled when said talent arrives and can't work with the coaches system. It's all part if the talent evaluation process.

Can't tell you how many kids come out of AAU bitter because they think they are better when in reality they just never faced a higher level of talent. This is one reason why most D1 coaches tend to pass on small market HS or AAU teams. Good against a school of 500 is not always the same as good against a school of 2500.
0 x
Spuwho
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Spuwho »

:D
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Spuwho, is this similar to how the AAU culture operates?

AAU is simply a loose association of high school age players looking for a venue to expose their skills to a broader audience.

Unfortunately it has become somewhat bogged down by shoe money, inattentive parents, and a large mix of egos over true talent. Coaches in some case have become arbiters of their players well being in the absence of the parents.

In some markets AAU can be dominated by a small group of influential coaches that have too much control over the market and keep certain talent away. In response to this I have many seen small market high school coaches form their own AAU teams so the kids can get exposed and develop their skills. Unfortunately I have seen these types of teams get "locked out" of schedules and leagues because they don't fall inside a regional clique. This has required these teams to travel long distances just to get decent playing time. One small market AAU team was pretty much ignored until the cliques found out one of the players was being recruited by a major D1 school and suddenly their scheduling options changed overnight. It's just the way it is.

Some D1 coaches treat AAU with some skepticism because at times the coach does all the front end work. At the other end of the spectrum you have some D1 coaches who waste no time engaging these coaches to get an edge in recruiting. Generally most D1 coaches who have worked the big AAU showcases have a process down where they don't get wrapped up in the internal politics. They focus on the talent and sort the rest later on their recruitment boards and video rooms.

As for the kind of talent that comes out of AAU, one has to careful because the player that lights up the court may have a coach who runs an O that features them at the expense of others. Then the recruiting schools are baffled when said talent arrives and can't work with the coaches system. It's all part if the talent evaluation process.

Can't tell you how many kids come out of AAU bitter because they think they are better when in reality they just never faced a higher level of talent. This is one reason why most D1 coaches tend to pass on small market HS or AAU teams. Good against a school of 500 is not always the same as good against a school of 2500.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Spuwho wrote: 2 years ago :D

Thanks for the insight, Spuwho. Don’t be a stranger here. I’m sure others will appreciate your insight as well.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Through three games, three DNPs. Since it's Georgia Southern, I'm not sure if it's because he's a potential redshirt, because he's not good enough, or because he got hurt at some point. FWIW, they have six forwards / centers listed on their roster, and he's the only freshman, so it wouldn't shock me if he's a RS candidate. Regardless, it seems unlikely he could have helped us much this year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Through three games, three DNPs. Since it's Georgia Southern, I'm not sure if it's because he's a potential redshirt, because he's not good enough, or because he got hurt at some point. FWIW, they have six forwards / centers listed on their roster, and he's the only freshman, so it wouldn't shock me if he's a RS candidate. Regardless, it seems unlikely he could have helped us much this year.
Brafford got his 1st action of his career in GSU’s 5th game of the season against the Houston Christian Huskies.
Played 6 minutes, hit a 3P and got a rebound.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Brafford has cracked 13 to 20 MPG in his last four - 3-for-10 from 3-point in those games, 15 rebounds. His PER in a tiny sample size of 78 minutes is 17.7, because he's shooting 47.1 from the floor and 41.7 percent from deep. I kind of doubt his ability to do that this year against A-10 competition - half of Georgia Southern's games have been against sub-Division I competition - but he's likely going to be a solid player for them.
0 x