‘22 RI PG Sebastian Thomas (URI ---> Albany ---> URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

‘22 RI PG Sebastian Thomas (URI ---> Albany ---> URI)

Unread post by Ramulous »

Placeholder
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: Sebastian Thomas

Unread post by Ramulous »

Oral commitment today
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

2 x
GO RAMS
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He transferred to a prep school for a post grad year right? So will he be a freshman here next season or doing his post grad year?
0 x
Go Rhody
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

He is our second class of ‘22 commit.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

southpaw? That is a great sign. ;)
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I love this signing. It’s been a dog year since we went hard at a RI kid, I voiced my displeasure with not pursuing Kolek. And I can’t remember last time a RI kid said it was his dream to play at Rhody. I haven’t seen him play but he has performed against good comp in AAU and seemingly done well.
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Love it!
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I love this signing. It’s been a dog year since we went hard at a RI kid, I voiced my displeasure with not pursuing Kolek. And I can’t remember last time a RI kid said it was his dream to play at Rhody. I haven’t seen him play but he has performed against good comp in AAU and seemingly done well.
When was the last time (Beyond the Baron's) that a RI kid contributed for the Rams? Steve Mello??
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is this a scholarship player or a preferred walk-on?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I’m sure a scholarship.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I love this signing. It’s been a dog year since we went hard at a RI kid, I voiced my displeasure with not pursuing Kolek. And I can’t remember last time a RI kid said it was his dream to play at Rhody. I haven’t seen him play but he has performed against good comp in AAU and seemingly done well.
When was the last time (Beyond the Baron's) that a RI kid contributed for the Rams? Steve Mello??
One of Bristol’s finest, Steve Mello! Can’t even tell you who the last RI kid (besides Barons) were the last to get a scholarship…Jeff Kent and Tom Garrick come to mind.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There haven't been a lot. Vic Soares was one when I was in school. Most at that time were going to PC....Ernie D., Barnes, Hassett...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And before them Percy Davis and Willie Middlebrooks - both from Warwick
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
One of Bristol’s finest, Steve Mello! Can’t even tell you who the last RI kid (besides Barons) were the last to get a scholarship…Jeff Kent and Tom Garrick come to mind.
Providence native Will Leviton received a scholarship his senior year.
2 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago And before them Percy Davis and Willie Middlebrooks - both from Warwick
But neither of them got schollies out of high school. Both played sub-varsity first, then got scholarships.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Recent video.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago And before them Percy Davis and Willie Middlebrooks - both from Warwick
But neither of them got schollies out of high school. Both played sub-varsity first, then got scholarships.
Yep. But they both got scholarships and both were excellent contributors for Jack Kraft. Both would start for this current URI team.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Yep. But they both got scholarships and both were excellent contributors for Jack Kraft. Both would start for this current URI team.
Yes, especially Percy, one of the best leapers I've seen.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Yay.. A 2** point guard. NCAA's here we come. Nice to get local talent as long is it is real talent. Here's hoping.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago Yay.. A 2** point guard. NCAA's here we come. Nice to get local talent as long is it is real talent. Here's hoping.
You do realize Tyler Kolek had the exact same ranking coming into college. Ended up a A10 rookie of the year and now parlayed that into playing at Marquette. Both having 2* rankings as a guard similar height. Both their rankings suffered from playing majority of their high school bball in the RIIL. So the sarcasm is a little much. Not saying this kid is the next Tyson Wheeler or anything. But come on we have come to realize the rankings headed into college couldnt mean any less.

Nice to have some local ties I like the kid. But not like he is going to be the be all end all recruit. Still have Ish Leggett and barring any transfer Tres berry and Chance Stephen's.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: ‘22 RI PG Sebastian Thomas (URI Commit)

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I like landing any kid from RI. Seems like a solid guard… Hopefully he’ll be able to compete at the next level.

Are we his only D1 offer ?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago I like landing any kid from RI. Seems like a solid guard… Hopefully he’ll be able to compete at the next level.

Rivals has a profile on him, but it isn't especially developed - looks like just a stub. He visited Holy Cross and Rutgers in 2019, but nothing since then. He also reclassified from 2021 to 2022.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I never understand how some recruits no matter their skill level, have so much information and attention long before they commit, and then you have these situations.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I never understand how some recruits no matter their skill level, have so much information and attention long before they commit, and then you have these situations.
Players with more talent and scholarship offers who play in bigger states and on better teams have more publicity and information than a player in a public school league in the smallest state in America who didn't have numerous scholarship offers before he committed.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Could be a hidden gem, definitely looks like he has good court vision.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I asked for a scouting report from a few people that know his game well. They all basically said the same thing. He's a pure point guard who runs the offense well. Athletic, high IQ, tough defender. Like Jeff, he makes guys better around him. He needs to improve his 3pt, mid-range, and overall scoring ability. I don't expect much of an impact early on, but he could eventually be a solid guard for us.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I'm not sure where he played in 2021, but he was a Player of the Year nominee and Projo first team All-State in 2020, and led the state in scoring, per this article.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago I like landing any kid from RI. Seems like a solid guard… Hopefully he’ll be able to compete at the next level.

Rivals has a profile on him, but it isn't especially developed - looks like just a stub. He visited Holy Cross and Rutgers in 2019, but nothing since then. He also reclassified from 2021 to 2022.
Sounds like the only other offer was Siena..

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago I'm not sure where he played in 2021, but he was a Player of the Year nominee and Projo first team All-State in 2020, and led the state in scoring, per this article.
Erickson Bans lead the state in scoring, Thomas lead D1.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago I'm not sure where he played in 2021, but he was a Player of the Year nominee and Projo first team All-State in 2020, and led the state in scoring, per this article.
Erickson Bans lead the state in scoring, Thomas lead D1.
Ah, good call. Thanks!
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Local basketball star commits to the University of Rhode Island

https://turnto10.com/sports/content/loc ... ode-island
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Local basketball star commits to the University of Rhode Island

Very interesting by this turnto10.com article/video. I was under the assumption he was coming in the class of 2022 and prepping this upcoming year and coming in with Chance Stephen's. Most reporters seemed to agree. But this is the first article that mentioned he is joining the team this September. Wonder which one it is?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Local basketball star commits to the University of Rhode Island

Very interesting by this turnto10.com article/video. I was under the assumption he was coming in the class of 2022 and prepping this upcoming year and coming in with Chance Stephen's. Most reporters seemed to agree. But this is the first article that mentioned he is joining the team this September. Wonder which one it is?
Or why not this summer?
0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

In 2020 he lead Hendricken to state title, then 2021 he went to ISA Hoosac in NY, and reclassified to a 2022 and was supposed to be playing next year at Springfield Commonwealth.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I like this...love having a great local kid. I could care less about how many stars he is given. I care about his commitment and desire. He has some good guards ahead of him. So he should learn a lot from them and eventually develop into a good player for Rhody.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago

If he is indeed on scholarship this season, that would fill the remaining opening, at least for now.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

DanInAZ wrote: 2 years ago southpaw? That is a great sign. ;)
Was just thinking that...
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Maybe another Ileri situation where we get the player to come redshirt and be better than he would be with another prep year?
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Maybe another Ileri situation where we get the player to come redshirt and be better than he would be with another prep year?
This is very well possible. And could be the reason for the change in his class status.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ProJo says he’s a ‘22 recruit.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

'I'm proud to be a Ram'.Thomas and Stevens share rhody pride and I hope this helps build a culture here.
0 x
GO RAMS
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I like what I saw in the videos. One thing that stands out is not so much the shots that he made (because all kids look good in highlight videos), but the fact he played within himself & didn't try to do too much & took whatever the defense gave him. If they gave him an open look, he shot the ball. if they closed in on him, he passed it to the open guy who was usually cutting to the basket. His shots outside the 3pt line were mainly from the same spots and weren't all over the place (45 angles from the basket or top of the arc primarily). It's the kind of guard a team needs. A guy that is calm, takes whatever the defense gives, & knows the spots on the floor where they can hit at a high percentage. Jarvis Garrett made a living off of doing that.
4 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

How can we forget the great Vic Bertuglio?
1 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

How is this for a throwback stat sheet?
http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/statsPDFA ... Island.pdf
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

With Sebastian and Chance now in the fold, it looks like the guard position is now filled with the loses of Shep and Ish2 next year.

Hopefully with the AB coming back healthy in 22-23, an improved Carey, the experience growth of Ish and Tres, plus the addition of these newcomers our backcourt should be solidified for the near future.

Making a big assumption that our roster and staff stays intact for the most part. I am still sipping some of the Rhody Kool-Aid and staying optimistic about our program's future with this group.
3 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x